Re: The Best Book on Meditation

  • jogeshwarmahanta
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 29, 2007
      Sorry for the spelling mistake.I intended to write Madbhagavat Geeta.

      No.
      The definitions of Yoga:

      Patnjali-Yogaschittavritti norodhah(Regulation of mind/procliviries).

      Geeta-Sdhyasidhyo samabhutwa samatwam yoga uchyate(Accepting success
      and failure as the same)

      Objectives-Moksha.

      Patanjali-Attaining the purest conscience/Transcending time and
      space.

      Geeta-Merger with Him/God/Almighty/The Braman.

      Approach:

      Patanjali-Continuous deconditioning and reconditioning.

      Geeta-Just witnessing the happenings in detached manner.

      regards

      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > --- In
      > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
      > >
      > > No further views?
      > > regards
      > >
      > Yo Sri Jogeshwarmahanta,
      > I didn't realize that you were referring to
      > the Bhagavad Gita, but now I am assuming you
      > were, and that it was your unique spelling
      > (Magbhagvat Geeta) that made me feel unable
      > to reply. I don't see in any way that the
      > 2 books as being "diametrically opposite.
      > Actually, I feel they compliment each other
      > perfectly. The Gita shares how one can best
      > prepare to medtate and live a pure life that
      > eliminates the distractions that hold one back
      > from experiencing the bounty of treasures that
      > meditation brings. And the Sutras are the
      > perfect "how-to" book on meditation. Together
      > they comprise the totality of all one
      > needs to learn, and then do, to best unfold
      > the flower of peace, wisdom and bliss that is
      > within and is the birthright of all of humanity.
      > Peace and Blessings,
      > Bob
      > > --- In
      > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
      > > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Has any body gone through comparative reading and practice of
      > > > Magbhagvat Geeta and Patanjali's Yoga Sutras? As I find
      objectives
      > > > of the two texts are diametrically opposite.
      > > >
      > > > From the practice point of view, I think, Yoga Sutras is a
      better
      > > > manual.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks for this thread.
      > > > regards

      > > medit8ionsociety

    • jogeshwarmahanta
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 30, 2007
        Oh! I forgot one very important aspect.

        In relation to God:

        Patanjal-Ishwara pranidhanadva(Or by devotion to God)

        Geeta-Sarba dharman parityajya mamekam sharanam braja(Abandon all
        and surrender to Me)-Lord Krishna
        regards

        --- In
        <jogeshwarmahanta@...> wrote:

        > Sorry for the spelling mistake.I intended to write Madbhagavat
        Geeta.

        > No.
        > The definitions of Yoga:
        >
        > Patnjali-Yogaschittavritti norodhah(Regulation of
        mind/procliviries).

        > Geeta-Sdhyasidhyo samabhutwa samatwam yoga uchyate(Accepting
        success
        > and failure as the same)
        >
        > Objectives-Moksha.
        >
        > Patanjali-Attaining the purest conscience/Transcending time and
        > space.
        >
        > Geeta-Merger with Him/God/Almighty/The Braman.
        >
        > Approach:
        >
        > Patanjali-Continuous deconditioning and reconditioning.
        >
        > Geeta-Just witnessing the happenings in detached manner.
        >
        > regards

        medit8ionsociety
        > <no_reply@> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In
        > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
        > > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > No further views?
        > > > regards
        > > >
        > > Yo Sri Jogeshwarmahanta,
        > > I didn't realize that you were referring to
        > > the Bhagavad Gita, but now I am assuming you
        > > were, and that it was your unique spelling
        > > (Magbhagvat Geeta) that made me feel unable
        > > to reply. I don't see in any way that the
        > > 2 books as being "diametrically opposite.
        > > Actually, I feel they compliment each other
        > > perfectly. The Gita shares how one can best
        > > prepare to medtate and live a pure life that
        > > eliminates the distractions that hold one back
        > > from experiencing the bounty of treasures that
        > > meditation brings. And the Sutras are the
        > > perfect "how-to" book on meditation. Together
        > > they comprise the totality of all one
        > > needs to learn, and then do, to best unfold
        > > the flower of peace, wisdom and bliss that is
        > > within and is the birthright of all of humanity.
        > > Peace and Blessings,
        > > Bob
        > > > --- In
        > > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

        > objectives

        > better

        > > > medit8ionsociety

      • jogeshwarmahanta
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
          So,I think, now there will be focus on Patanjali's Yoga Sutras,the
          smallest book of the greatest importance.
          regards

          --- In
          <jogeshwarmahanta@...> wrote:

          > Oh! I forgot one very important aspect.
          >
          > In relation to God:
          >
          > Patanjal-Ishwara pranidhanadva(Or by devotion to God)
          >
          > Geeta-Sarba dharman parityajya mamekam sharanam braja(Abandon all
          > and surrender to Me)-Lord Krishna
          > regards
          >

          > --- In
          > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
          > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Sorry for the spelling mistake.I intended to write Madbhagavat
          > Geeta.
          > >
          > > No.
          > > The definitions of Yoga:
          > >
          > > Patnjali-Yogaschittavritti norodhah(Regulation of
          > mind/procliviries).
          > >
          > > Geeta-Sdhyasidhyo samabhutwa samatwam yoga uchyate(Accepting
          > success
          > > and failure as the same)
          > >
          > > Objectives-Moksha.
          > >
          > > Patanjali-Attaining the purest conscience/Transcending time and
          > > space.
          > >
          > > Geeta-Merger with Him/God/Almighty/The Braman.
          > >
          > > Approach:
          > >
          > > Patanjali-Continuous deconditioning and reconditioning.
          > >
          > > Geeta-Just witnessing the happenings in detached manner.
          > >
          > > regards

          > medit8ionsociety
          > > <no_reply@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > --- In
          > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

          > > > Yo Sri Jogeshwarmahanta,
          > > > I didn't realize that you were referring to
          > > > the Bhagavad Gita, but now I am assuming you
          > > > were, and that it was your unique spelling
          > > > (Magbhagvat Geeta) that made me feel unable
          > > > to reply. I don't see in any way that the
          > > > 2 books as being "diametrically opposite.
          > > > Actually, I feel they compliment each other
          > > > perfectly. The Gita shares how one can best
          > > > prepare to medtate and live a pure life that
          > > > eliminates the distractions that hold one back
          > > > from experiencing the bounty of treasures that
          > > > meditation brings. And the Sutras are the
          > > > perfect "how-to" book on meditation. Together
          > > > they comprise the totality of all one
          > > > needs to learn, and then do, to best unfold
          > > > the flower of peace, wisdom and bliss that is
          > > > within and is the birthright of all of humanity.
          > > > Peace and Blessings,
          > > > Bob

          > of
          > > objectives

          > > better

        • jvmarco
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
            In my opinion, the best currently available book on meditation is The
            Myth of Freedom by Chogyam Trungpa.

            It is said that it takes 100 life times for a monk to realize
            enlightenment,...for a yogi it takes about 10 lifetimes,...however,
            for a sly (wo)man, enlightenment can be realized in a single
            lifetime. That meditation is called the Short Path or Vajrayana.

            If you really cannot acknowledge the impermanence of duality and feel
            you have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here, by all
            means go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. If, on the other hand, you
            realize that you don't have all the time in the world, and truly
            appreciate how lucky you are to even have time for meditation, try
            the Short Path.

            :)

            <jogeshwarmahanta@...> wrote:

            > So,I think, now there will be focus on Patanjali's Yoga Sutras,the
            > smallest book of the greatest importance.
            > regards
            >

            > --- In
            > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
            > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Oh! I forgot one very important aspect.
            > >
            > > In relation to God:
            > >
            > > Patanjal-Ishwara pranidhanadva(Or by devotion to God)
            > >
            > > Geeta-Sarba dharman parityajya mamekam sharanam braja(Abandon all
            > > and surrender to Me)-Lord Krishna
            > > regards
            > >

            > > --- In
            > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
            > > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Sorry for the spelling mistake.I intended to write Madbhagavat
            > > Geeta.
            > > >
            > > > No.
            > > > The definitions of Yoga:
            > > >
            > > > Patnjali-Yogaschittavritti norodhah(Regulation of
            > > mind/procliviries).
            > > >
            > > > Geeta-Sdhyasidhyo samabhutwa samatwam yoga uchyate(Accepting
            > > success
            > > > and failure as the same)
            > > >
            > > > Objectives-Moksha.
            > > >
            > > > Patanjali-Attaining the purest conscience/Transcending time and
            > > > space.
            > > >
            > > > Geeta-Merger with Him/God/Almighty/The Braman.
            > > >
            > > > Approach:
            > > >
            > > > Patanjali-Continuous deconditioning and reconditioning.
            > > >
            > > > Geeta-Just witnessing the happenings in detached manner.
            > > >
            > > > regards

            > > medit8ionsociety

            > > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

            > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

            > > of
            > > > objectives

            > > > better

          • jogeshwarmahanta
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
              "feel
              you have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here, by all
              means go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras."

              Yes. The first objective is to prolong your life span first.
              regards

              --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jvmarco"
              <jvmarco@...> wrote:

              > In my opinion, the best currently available book on meditation is
              The
              > Myth of Freedom by Chogyam Trungpa.
              >
              > It is said that it takes 100 life times for a monk to realize
              > enlightenment,...for a yogi it takes about 10
              lifetimes,...however,
              > for a sly (wo)man, enlightenment can be realized in a single
              > lifetime. That meditation is called the Short Path or Vajrayana.
              >
              > If you really cannot acknowledge the impermanence of duality and
              feel
              > you have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here, by
              all
              > means go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. If, on the other hand, you
              > realize that you don't have all the time in the world, and truly
              > appreciate how lucky you are to even have time for meditation, try
              > the Short Path.

              > :)
              >

              > --- In
              > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
              > >
              > > So,I think, now there will be focus on Patanjali's Yoga
              Sutras,the
              > > smallest book of the greatest importance.
              > > regards
              > >

              > > --- In
              > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
              > > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Oh! I forgot one very important aspect.
              > > >
              > > > In relation to God:
              > > >
              > > > Patanjal-Ishwara pranidhanadva(Or by devotion to God)
              > > >
              > > > Geeta-Sarba dharman parityajya mamekam sharanam braja(Abandon
              all
              > > > and surrender to Me)-Lord Krishna
              > > > regards
              > > >

              > > > --- In
              > > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

              Madbhagavat
              > > > Geeta.

              > > > mind/procliviries).

              > > > success

              > > > medit8ionsociety

              > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

              > practice
              > > > of

            • Balasubramanian Radhakrishnan Kumar
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
                Sri Bhagavan Ramana Maharishi's self enquiry method for self realisation is the shortest and the best. -- B.R.Kumar, Chennai -41, INDIA

                To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
                From: jogeshwarmahanta@...
                Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 06:17:00 +0000
                Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Re: The Best Book on Meditation

                <jvmarco@... > wrote:

                > In my opinion, the best currently available book on meditation is
                The
                > Myth of Freedom by Chogyam Trungpa.
                >
                > It is said that it takes 100 life times for a monk to realize
                > enlightenment, ...for a yogi it takes about 10
                lifetimes,.. .however,
                > for a sly (wo)man, enlightenment can be realized in a single
                > lifetime. That meditation is called the Short Path or Vajrayana.
                >
                > If you really cannot acknowledge the impermanence of duality and
                feel
                > you have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here, by
                all
                > means go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. If, on the other hand, you
                > realize that you don't have all the time in the world, and truly
                > appreciate how lucky you are to even have time for meditation, try
                > the Short Path.

                > :)
                >

                > --- In
                meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
                > <jogeshwarmahanta@ > wrote:
                > >
                > > So,I think, now there will be focus on Patanjali's Yoga
                Sutras,the
                > > smallest book of the greatest importance.
                > > regards
                > >

                > > --- In
                > > meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
                > > <jogeshwarmahanta@ > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Oh! I forgot one very important aspect.
                > > >
                > > > In relation to God:
                > > >
                > > > Patanjal-Ishwara pranidhanadva( Or by devotion to God)
                > > >
                > > > Geeta-Sarba dharman parityajya mamekam sharanam braja(Abandon
                all
                > > > and surrender to Me)-Lord Krishna
                > > > regards
                > > >

                > > > --- In
                > > > meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

                Madbhagavat
                > > > Geeta.

                > > > mind/procliviries) .

                > > > success

                > > > medit8ionsociety

                meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

                > > meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

                > practice
                > > > of

                Fly HYD-BLR for Rs.499 Log on to MakeMyTrip! Check it out!
              • jogeshwarmahanta
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
                  From 1 book to 4 now.
                  regards

                  --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Balasubramanian
                  Radhakrishnan Kumar <kumarbr20@...> wrote:

                  > Sri Bhagavan Ramana Maharishi's self enquiry method for self
                  realisation is the shortest and the best. -- B.R.Kumar, Chennai -41,
                  INDIA

                  > To: meditationsocietyofamerica@...: jogeshwarmahanta@...: Thu, 10
                  Jan 2008 06:17:00 +0000Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Re:
                  The Best Book on Meditation

                  > "feelyou have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here,
                  by allmeans go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras."Yes. The first objective
                  is to prolong your life span first.regards--- In
                  meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jvmarco" <jvmarco@>
                  wrote:>> In my opinion, the best currently available book on
                  meditation is The > Myth of Freedom by Chogyam Trungpa.> > It is
                  said that it takes 100 life times for a monk to realize >
                  enlightenment,...for a yogi it takes about 10 lifetimes,...however,
                  > for a sly (wo)man, enlightenment can be realized in a single >
                  lifetime. That meditation is called the Short Path or Vajrayana.> >
                  If you really cannot acknowledge the impermanence of duality and
                  feel > you have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here,
                  by all > means go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. If, on the other
                  hand, you > realize that you don't have all the time in the world,
                  and truly > appreciate how lucky you are to even have time for
                  meditation, try > the Short Path. > > V> :)> > > --- In
                  meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta" >
                  <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:> >> > So,I think, now there will be focus
                  <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:> > >> > > Oh! I forgot one very important
                  <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:> > > >> > > > Sorry for the spelling