Re: The Best Book on Meditation

  • jogeshwarmahanta
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 29, 2007
      No further views?
      regards

      --- In
      <jogeshwarmahanta@...> wrote:

      > Has any body gone through comparative reading and practice of
      > Magbhagvat Geeta and Patanjali's Yoga Sutras? As I find objectives
      > of the two texts are diametrically opposite.
      >
      > From the practice point of view, I think, Yoga Sutras is a better
      > manual.
      >
      > Thanks for this thread.
      > regards

      medit8ionsociety

      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 29, 2007
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
        <jogeshwarmahanta@...> wrote:

        > No further views?
        > regards

        Yo Sri Jogeshwarmahanta,
        I didn't realize that you were referring to
        the Bhagavad Gita, but now I am assuming you
        were, and that it was your unique spelling
        (Magbhagvat Geeta) that made me feel unable
        to reply. I don't see in any way that the
        2 books as being "diametrically opposite.
        Actually, I feel they compliment each other
        perfectly. The Gita shares how one can best
        prepare to medtate and live a pure life that
        eliminates the distractions that hold one back
        from experiencing the bounty of treasures that
        meditation brings. And the Sutras are the
        perfect "how-to" book on meditation. Together
        they comprise the totality of all one
        needs to learn, and then do, to best unfold
        the flower of peace, wisdom and bliss that is
        within and is the birthright of all of humanity.
        Peace and Blessings,
        Bob

      • jogeshwarmahanta
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 29, 2007
          Sorry for the spelling mistake.I intended to write Madbhagavat Geeta.

          No.
          The definitions of Yoga:

          Patnjali-Yogaschittavritti norodhah(Regulation of mind/procliviries).

          Geeta-Sdhyasidhyo samabhutwa samatwam yoga uchyate(Accepting success
          and failure as the same)

          Objectives-Moksha.

          Patanjali-Attaining the purest conscience/Transcending time and
          space.

          Geeta-Merger with Him/God/Almighty/The Braman.

          Approach:

          Patanjali-Continuous deconditioning and reconditioning.

          Geeta-Just witnessing the happenings in detached manner.

          regards

          <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > --- In
          > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
          > >
          > > No further views?
          > > regards
          > >
          > Yo Sri Jogeshwarmahanta,
          > I didn't realize that you were referring to
          > the Bhagavad Gita, but now I am assuming you
          > were, and that it was your unique spelling
          > (Magbhagvat Geeta) that made me feel unable
          > to reply. I don't see in any way that the
          > 2 books as being "diametrically opposite.
          > Actually, I feel they compliment each other
          > perfectly. The Gita shares how one can best
          > prepare to medtate and live a pure life that
          > eliminates the distractions that hold one back
          > from experiencing the bounty of treasures that
          > meditation brings. And the Sutras are the
          > perfect "how-to" book on meditation. Together
          > they comprise the totality of all one
          > needs to learn, and then do, to best unfold
          > the flower of peace, wisdom and bliss that is
          > within and is the birthright of all of humanity.
          > Peace and Blessings,
          > Bob
          > > --- In
          > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
          > > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Has any body gone through comparative reading and practice of
          > > > Magbhagvat Geeta and Patanjali's Yoga Sutras? As I find
          objectives
          > > > of the two texts are diametrically opposite.
          > > >
          > > > From the practice point of view, I think, Yoga Sutras is a
          better
          > > > manual.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks for this thread.
          > > > regards

          > > medit8ionsociety

        • jogeshwarmahanta
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 30, 2007
            Oh! I forgot one very important aspect.

            In relation to God:

            Patanjal-Ishwara pranidhanadva(Or by devotion to God)

            Geeta-Sarba dharman parityajya mamekam sharanam braja(Abandon all
            and surrender to Me)-Lord Krishna
            regards

            --- In
            <jogeshwarmahanta@...> wrote:

            > Sorry for the spelling mistake.I intended to write Madbhagavat
            Geeta.

            > No.
            > The definitions of Yoga:
            >
            > Patnjali-Yogaschittavritti norodhah(Regulation of
            mind/procliviries).

            > Geeta-Sdhyasidhyo samabhutwa samatwam yoga uchyate(Accepting
            success
            > and failure as the same)
            >
            > Objectives-Moksha.
            >
            > Patanjali-Attaining the purest conscience/Transcending time and
            > space.
            >
            > Geeta-Merger with Him/God/Almighty/The Braman.
            >
            > Approach:
            >
            > Patanjali-Continuous deconditioning and reconditioning.
            >
            > Geeta-Just witnessing the happenings in detached manner.
            >
            > regards

            medit8ionsociety
            > <no_reply@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In
            > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
            > > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > No further views?
            > > > regards
            > > >
            > > Yo Sri Jogeshwarmahanta,
            > > I didn't realize that you were referring to
            > > the Bhagavad Gita, but now I am assuming you
            > > were, and that it was your unique spelling
            > > (Magbhagvat Geeta) that made me feel unable
            > > to reply. I don't see in any way that the
            > > 2 books as being "diametrically opposite.
            > > Actually, I feel they compliment each other
            > > perfectly. The Gita shares how one can best
            > > prepare to medtate and live a pure life that
            > > eliminates the distractions that hold one back
            > > from experiencing the bounty of treasures that
            > > meditation brings. And the Sutras are the
            > > perfect "how-to" book on meditation. Together
            > > they comprise the totality of all one
            > > needs to learn, and then do, to best unfold
            > > the flower of peace, wisdom and bliss that is
            > > within and is the birthright of all of humanity.
            > > Peace and Blessings,
            > > Bob
            > > > --- In
            > > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

            > objectives

            > better

            > > > medit8ionsociety

          • jogeshwarmahanta
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
              So,I think, now there will be focus on Patanjali's Yoga Sutras,the
              smallest book of the greatest importance.
              regards

              --- In
              <jogeshwarmahanta@...> wrote:

              > Oh! I forgot one very important aspect.
              >
              > In relation to God:
              >
              > Patanjal-Ishwara pranidhanadva(Or by devotion to God)
              >
              > Geeta-Sarba dharman parityajya mamekam sharanam braja(Abandon all
              > and surrender to Me)-Lord Krishna
              > regards
              >

              > --- In
              > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
              > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Sorry for the spelling mistake.I intended to write Madbhagavat
              > Geeta.
              > >
              > > No.
              > > The definitions of Yoga:
              > >
              > > Patnjali-Yogaschittavritti norodhah(Regulation of
              > mind/procliviries).
              > >
              > > Geeta-Sdhyasidhyo samabhutwa samatwam yoga uchyate(Accepting
              > success
              > > and failure as the same)
              > >
              > > Objectives-Moksha.
              > >
              > > Patanjali-Attaining the purest conscience/Transcending time and
              > > space.
              > >
              > > Geeta-Merger with Him/God/Almighty/The Braman.
              > >
              > > Approach:
              > >
              > > Patanjali-Continuous deconditioning and reconditioning.
              > >
              > > Geeta-Just witnessing the happenings in detached manner.
              > >
              > > regards

              > medit8ionsociety
              > > <no_reply@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > --- In
              > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

              > > > Yo Sri Jogeshwarmahanta,
              > > > I didn't realize that you were referring to
              > > > the Bhagavad Gita, but now I am assuming you
              > > > were, and that it was your unique spelling
              > > > (Magbhagvat Geeta) that made me feel unable
              > > > to reply. I don't see in any way that the
              > > > 2 books as being "diametrically opposite.
              > > > Actually, I feel they compliment each other
              > > > perfectly. The Gita shares how one can best
              > > > prepare to medtate and live a pure life that
              > > > eliminates the distractions that hold one back
              > > > from experiencing the bounty of treasures that
              > > > meditation brings. And the Sutras are the
              > > > perfect "how-to" book on meditation. Together
              > > > they comprise the totality of all one
              > > > needs to learn, and then do, to best unfold
              > > > the flower of peace, wisdom and bliss that is
              > > > within and is the birthright of all of humanity.
              > > > Peace and Blessings,
              > > > Bob

              > of
              > > objectives

              > > better

            • jvmarco
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
                In my opinion, the best currently available book on meditation is The
                Myth of Freedom by Chogyam Trungpa.

                It is said that it takes 100 life times for a monk to realize
                enlightenment,...for a yogi it takes about 10 lifetimes,...however,
                for a sly (wo)man, enlightenment can be realized in a single
                lifetime. That meditation is called the Short Path or Vajrayana.

                If you really cannot acknowledge the impermanence of duality and feel
                you have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here, by all
                means go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. If, on the other hand, you
                realize that you don't have all the time in the world, and truly
                appreciate how lucky you are to even have time for meditation, try
                the Short Path.

                :)

                <jogeshwarmahanta@...> wrote:

                > So,I think, now there will be focus on Patanjali's Yoga Sutras,the
                > smallest book of the greatest importance.
                > regards
                >

                > --- In
                > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
                > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Oh! I forgot one very important aspect.
                > >
                > > In relation to God:
                > >
                > > Patanjal-Ishwara pranidhanadva(Or by devotion to God)
                > >
                > > Geeta-Sarba dharman parityajya mamekam sharanam braja(Abandon all
                > > and surrender to Me)-Lord Krishna
                > > regards
                > >

                > > --- In
                > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
                > > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Sorry for the spelling mistake.I intended to write Madbhagavat
                > > Geeta.
                > > >
                > > > No.
                > > > The definitions of Yoga:
                > > >
                > > > Patnjali-Yogaschittavritti norodhah(Regulation of
                > > mind/procliviries).
                > > >
                > > > Geeta-Sdhyasidhyo samabhutwa samatwam yoga uchyate(Accepting
                > > success
                > > > and failure as the same)
                > > >
                > > > Objectives-Moksha.
                > > >
                > > > Patanjali-Attaining the purest conscience/Transcending time and
                > > > space.
                > > >
                > > > Geeta-Merger with Him/God/Almighty/The Braman.
                > > >
                > > > Approach:
                > > >
                > > > Patanjali-Continuous deconditioning and reconditioning.
                > > >
                > > > Geeta-Just witnessing the happenings in detached manner.
                > > >
                > > > regards

                > > medit8ionsociety

                > > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

                > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

                > > of
                > > > objectives

                > > > better

              • jogeshwarmahanta
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
                  "feel
                  you have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here, by all
                  means go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras."

                  Yes. The first objective is to prolong your life span first.
                  regards

                  --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jvmarco"
                  <jvmarco@...> wrote:

                  > In my opinion, the best currently available book on meditation is
                  The
                  > Myth of Freedom by Chogyam Trungpa.
                  >
                  > It is said that it takes 100 life times for a monk to realize
                  > enlightenment,...for a yogi it takes about 10
                  lifetimes,...however,
                  > for a sly (wo)man, enlightenment can be realized in a single
                  > lifetime. That meditation is called the Short Path or Vajrayana.
                  >
                  > If you really cannot acknowledge the impermanence of duality and
                  feel
                  > you have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here, by
                  all
                  > means go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. If, on the other hand, you
                  > realize that you don't have all the time in the world, and truly
                  > appreciate how lucky you are to even have time for meditation, try
                  > the Short Path.

                  > :)
                  >

                  > --- In
                  > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > So,I think, now there will be focus on Patanjali's Yoga
                  Sutras,the
                  > > smallest book of the greatest importance.
                  > > regards
                  > >

                  > > --- In
                  > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
                  > > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Oh! I forgot one very important aspect.
                  > > >
                  > > > In relation to God:
                  > > >
                  > > > Patanjal-Ishwara pranidhanadva(Or by devotion to God)
                  > > >
                  > > > Geeta-Sarba dharman parityajya mamekam sharanam braja(Abandon
                  all
                  > > > and surrender to Me)-Lord Krishna
                  > > > regards
                  > > >

                  > > > --- In
                  > > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

                  Madbhagavat
                  > > > Geeta.

                  > > > mind/procliviries).

                  > > > success

                  > > > medit8ionsociety

                  > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

                  > practice
                  > > > of

                • Balasubramanian Radhakrishnan Kumar
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
                    Sri Bhagavan Ramana Maharishi's self enquiry method for self realisation is the shortest and the best. -- B.R.Kumar, Chennai -41, INDIA

                    To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
                    From: jogeshwarmahanta@...
                    Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 06:17:00 +0000
                    Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Re: The Best Book on Meditation

                    <jvmarco@... > wrote:

                    > In my opinion, the best currently available book on meditation is
                    The
                    > Myth of Freedom by Chogyam Trungpa.
                    >
                    > It is said that it takes 100 life times for a monk to realize
                    > enlightenment, ...for a yogi it takes about 10
                    lifetimes,.. .however,
                    > for a sly (wo)man, enlightenment can be realized in a single
                    > lifetime. That meditation is called the Short Path or Vajrayana.
                    >
                    > If you really cannot acknowledge the impermanence of duality and
                    feel
                    > you have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here, by
                    all
                    > means go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. If, on the other hand, you
                    > realize that you don't have all the time in the world, and truly
                    > appreciate how lucky you are to even have time for meditation, try
                    > the Short Path.

                    > :)
                    >

                    > --- In
                    meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
                    > <jogeshwarmahanta@ > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > So,I think, now there will be focus on Patanjali's Yoga
                    Sutras,the
                    > > smallest book of the greatest importance.
                    > > regards
                    > >

                    > > --- In
                    > > meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
                    > > <jogeshwarmahanta@ > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Oh! I forgot one very important aspect.
                    > > >
                    > > > In relation to God:
                    > > >
                    > > > Patanjal-Ishwara pranidhanadva( Or by devotion to God)
                    > > >
                    > > > Geeta-Sarba dharman parityajya mamekam sharanam braja(Abandon
                    all
                    > > > and surrender to Me)-Lord Krishna
                    > > > regards
                    > > >

                    > > > --- In
                    > > > meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

                    Madbhagavat
                    > > > Geeta.

                    > > > mind/procliviries) .

                    > > > success

                    > > > medit8ionsociety

                    meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

                    > > meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

                    > practice
                    > > > of

                    Fly HYD-BLR for Rs.499 Log on to MakeMyTrip! Check it out!
                  • jogeshwarmahanta
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
                      From 1 book to 4 now.
                      regards

                      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Balasubramanian
                      Radhakrishnan Kumar <kumarbr20@...> wrote:

                      > Sri Bhagavan Ramana Maharishi's self enquiry method for self
                      realisation is the shortest and the best. -- B.R.Kumar, Chennai -41,
                      INDIA

                      > To: meditationsocietyofamerica@...: jogeshwarmahanta@...: Thu, 10
                      Jan 2008 06:17:00 +0000Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Re:
                      The Best Book on Meditation

                      > "feelyou have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here,
                      by allmeans go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras."Yes. The first objective
                      is to prolong your life span first.regards--- In
                      meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jvmarco" <jvmarco@>
                      wrote:>> In my opinion, the best currently available book on
                      meditation is The > Myth of Freedom by Chogyam Trungpa.> > It is
                      said that it takes 100 life times for a monk to realize >
                      enlightenment,...for a yogi it takes about 10 lifetimes,...however,
                      > for a sly (wo)man, enlightenment can be realized in a single >
                      lifetime. That meditation is called the Short Path or Vajrayana.> >
                      If you really cannot acknowledge the impermanence of duality and
                      feel > you have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here,
                      by all > means go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. If, on the other
                      hand, you > realize that you don't have all the time in the world,
                      and truly > appreciate how lucky you are to even have time for
                      meditation, try > the Short Path. > > V> :)> > > --- In
                      meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta" >
                      <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:> >> > So,I think, now there will be focus
                      <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:> > >> > > Oh! I forgot one very important
                      <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:> > > >> > > > Sorry for the spelling