Let It Go

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 17, 2007
      The Bible tells us that each man thinks
      his burden is the heaviest. For instance,
      the poor man looks at the rich man and
      envies him thinking his load in life is
      lighter. But, you'll recall that the fabled
      millionaire Scrooge spent virtually all of
      his time worried about people cheating him
      out of his fortune and was miserable. So, we
      see that self-pity weighs down virtually
      everyone. Similarly, we see that one of the
      most popular themes on the afternoon talk
      shows is "When we were in school, you made
      fun of me, but look at me now." And out comes
      either a gorgeous woman with a silicon enhanced
      body, and a surgically altered, cosmetic covered
      and hair dyed head, or a handsome, tanned,
      greased, and steroid enhanced muscular man.

      Usually the same story is told. They were so
      abused by the school bully that they spent
      thousands of dollars and years of bodywork just
      to prove them wrong and get them to regret their
      actions. The host then brings out the villain who
      says that they don't even remember the person, and
      even though they acknowledge that the person now
      is not someone they would make fun of, they no
      longer are the type of person who would do that
      kind of immature hazing anyway. How anticlimactic
      for the person who sought to get back at the long
      ago bully. So, it is reasonable for us to conclude
      that the person seeking revenge, or whatever you
      want to label it, wasted their time by carrying the
      hurt and suffering and would have been better off if
      they had just gone on their merry way. Our own
      perceptions of our burdens are just as unreal as
      Scrooge's or the guests on the TV shows, and there
      is certainly no need for us to keep carrying our
      feelings of frustration, anger, sadness, and so on.
      Now, what can we do to cease our needless load lugging?

      Our inner Chatterer is constantly labeling things
      and then judging them to be good or bad. We hold on
      to the pain and frustration of some of the things
      that we judge to be bad for years, and a few for the
      rest of our lives. This masochistic behavior is
      virtually always on a subconscious level. Fortunately,
      there is an experiential meditative concept that is a
      remedy for this sad paralyzing dysfunction. And that
      is to cease carrying negativity around and just be
      present, in the moment, and experience your life
      consciously as it takes place.

      There are two ancient teaching tales that help us
      understand the need to quit holding onto that which
      we should let go of and begin the process of paying
      attention to what is appropriate, healthy, and happy.
      The first deals with the ancient story of the two monks
      who had taken vows of celibacy as well as their other
      holy obligations. As they were walking they encountered
      a woman crying by the side of a creek. As they approached,
      with tears streaming down her cheeks, she told them
      she feared drowning and begged them to help her get to
      the other side of the river so she could go to her baby.
      With that, one of the monks picked her up on his shoulder
      and carried her across the stream. After getting down,
      she thanked him and left. The two monks went on their way.

      After a while, the monk who hadn't helped turned to
      the one who had helped the woman and said, "Why did
      you do that? We've taken vows of chastity and we're
      not even supposed to look at a woman, much less touch one!"
      He replied "When we got to the other side of the water,
      I put her down. Why are you still carrying her?" From
      this we learn that once life's events have taken place,
      they should not be taken with us. Our hands, heart, and
      mind should be open and available for the next experience
      that we are presented with.

      The next story helps us by teaching us where to look
      for direction and how. Look at your life as taking a
      boat ride from one shore to another. Right now, we're
      in the boat in the middle of the lake of life. As we've
      traveled, the boat has left a wake. The wake is
      analogous to our past, and like the wake a boat leaves
      behind, our past does not help propel us. If we spend
      our time looking back at our wake, we will be unaware of
      and unable to do anything about any hazards we are
      approaching. A wise ship's captain looks ahead to the
      other shore, aware of the present moment, and having
      equipped themselves with excellent navigational skills,
      through a lifetime of trial, error, and learning, is
      confident in their competence to steer the appropriate course.

      The lessons we learn from these stories are to let
      go and pay attention. Our inner Chatterer makes us
      repetitiously keep suffering from our past "bad".
      There is a Witness within that is ever present. It is
      the awareness that can, and does silently witness
      your mind's mentations, your emotional fluctuations,
      and your sense receptions. At every moment of your life,
      even in this very second as you read these words, by
      being at one with it, you have the opportunity to witness
      your life as it takes place.

      The more you Witness, the less you Chatter. Recognize
      the load you are carrying, put it down and let go of
      all the negativity it brings. You will then fill with
      the ever-present "good". For each of us there is a
      meditative path, be it mantra, breathing techniques,
      asking "Who am I", or whatever, that will lead us to
      being aware, and be more and more at one with our inner
      Witness. By grace this will become our eternal divine
      reality. Meditate. Persevere through trial, error, and
      learning, and inevitably you will live happily ever after.

      This article first appeared in issue #5 of our
      newsletter, The Inner Traveler. It also can be
      found in the Concepts of Meditation section of our
      web site Meditation Station http://meditationsociety.com/concepts.html