Re: The Best Book on Meditation

  • jogeshwarmahanta
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 15, 2007
      Has any body gone through comparative reading and practice of
      Magbhagvat Geeta and Patanjali's Yoga Sutras? As I find objectives
      of the two texts are diametrically opposite.

      From the practice point of view, I think, Yoga Sutras is a better
      manual.

      Thanks for this thread.
      regards

      <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > montheistic deity and at the same time the
      > attributes of the Upanisadic absolute."
      > Ralph Waldo Emerson
      >
      > "In order to approach a creation as sublime
      > as the Bhagavad-Gita with full understanding
      > it is necessary to attune our soul to it." -
      > Rudolph Steiner
      >
      > "The Bhagavad-Gita is not seperate from the
      > Vaisnava philosophy and the Srimad Bhagavatam
      > fully reveals the true import of this doctrine
      > which is transmigation of the soul. On perusal
      > of the first chapter of Bhagavad-Gita one may
      > think that they are advised to engage in
      > warfare. When the second chapter has been read
      > it can be clearly understood that knowledge and
      > the soul is the ultimate goal to be
      > attained. On studying the third chapter it is
      > apparent that acts of righteousness are also of
      > high priority. If we continue and patiently
      > take the time to complete the Bhagavad-Gita and
      > try to ascertain the truth of its closing chapter
      > we can see that the ultimate conclusion
      > is to relinquish all the conceptualized ideas
      > of religion which we possess and fully surrender
      > directly unto the Supreme Lord."
      > Sri Swami Prabhupada
      >
      > "The secret of karma yoga which is to perform
      > actions without any fruitive desires is taught
      > by Lord Krishna in the Bhagavad-Gita."
      > Swami Vivekananda
      >
      > "The Bhagavad-Gita was spoken by Lord Krishna to
      > reveal the science of devotion to God which is the
      > essence of all spiritual knowledge. The
      > Supreme Lord Krishnas primary purpose for descending
      > and incarnating is relieve the world of any demoniac
      > and negative, undesirable influences that are
      > opposed to spiritual development, yet
      > simultaneously it is His incomparable intention
      > to be perpetually within reach of all humanity."
      > Sri Ramanuja
      >
      > "Nothing has ever arisen in my life, internal
      > or external, that the Gita has not made clear
      > and enabled me to deal with or understand."
      > Swami Nirmalananda Giri
      >
      > "When doubts haunt me, when disappointments
      > stare me in the face, and I see not one ray of
      > hope on the horizon, I turn to Bhagavad-Gita and
      > find a verse to comfort me; and I immediately begin
      > to smile in the midst of overwhelming sorrow. Those
      > who meditate on the Gita will
      > derive fresh joy and new meanings from it every day."
      > Mahatma Gandhiji
      >
      > "From a clear knowledge of the Bhagavad-Gita all
      > the goals of human existence become fulfilled.
      > Bhagavad-Gita is the manifest quintessence
      > of all the teachings of the Vedic scriptures."
      > Adi Sankara
      >
      > "The secret of karma yoga which is to perform
      > actions without any fruitive desires is taught
      > by Lord Krishna in the Bhagavad-Gita." -
      > Swami Vivekananda
      >
      > "The Bhagavad-Gita is where God Himself talks to
      > His devotee Arjuna."
      > Paramahansa Yogananda
      >
      > "The Bhagavad-Gita has a profound influence on
      > the spirit of mankind by its devotion to God

    • jogeshwarmahanta
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 29, 2007
        No further views?
        regards

        --- In

        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 29, 2007
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
          <jogeshwarmahanta@...> wrote:

          > No further views?
          > regards

          Yo Sri Jogeshwarmahanta,
          I didn't realize that you were referring to
          the Bhagavad Gita, but now I am assuming you
          were, and that it was your unique spelling
          (Magbhagvat Geeta) that made me feel unable
          to reply. I don't see in any way that the
          2 books as being "diametrically opposite.
          Actually, I feel they compliment each other
          perfectly. The Gita shares how one can best
          prepare to medtate and live a pure life that
          eliminates the distractions that hold one back
          from experiencing the bounty of treasures that
          meditation brings. And the Sutras are the
          perfect "how-to" book on meditation. Together
          they comprise the totality of all one
          needs to learn, and then do, to best unfold
          the flower of peace, wisdom and bliss that is
          within and is the birthright of all of humanity.
          Peace and Blessings,
          Bob

        • jogeshwarmahanta
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 29, 2007
            Sorry for the spelling mistake.I intended to write Madbhagavat Geeta.

            No.
            The definitions of Yoga:

            Patnjali-Yogaschittavritti norodhah(Regulation of mind/procliviries).

            Geeta-Sdhyasidhyo samabhutwa samatwam yoga uchyate(Accepting success
            and failure as the same)

            Objectives-Moksha.

            Patanjali-Attaining the purest conscience/Transcending time and
            space.

            Geeta-Merger with Him/God/Almighty/The Braman.

            Approach:

            Patanjali-Continuous deconditioning and reconditioning.

            Geeta-Just witnessing the happenings in detached manner.

            regards

            <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > --- In
            > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
            > >
            > > No further views?
            > > regards
            > >
            > Yo Sri Jogeshwarmahanta,
            > I didn't realize that you were referring to
            > the Bhagavad Gita, but now I am assuming you
            > were, and that it was your unique spelling
            > (Magbhagvat Geeta) that made me feel unable
            > to reply. I don't see in any way that the
            > 2 books as being "diametrically opposite.
            > Actually, I feel they compliment each other
            > perfectly. The Gita shares how one can best
            > prepare to medtate and live a pure life that
            > eliminates the distractions that hold one back
            > from experiencing the bounty of treasures that
            > meditation brings. And the Sutras are the
            > perfect "how-to" book on meditation. Together
            > they comprise the totality of all one
            > needs to learn, and then do, to best unfold
            > the flower of peace, wisdom and bliss that is
            > within and is the birthright of all of humanity.
            > Peace and Blessings,
            > Bob
            > > --- In
            > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
            > > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Has any body gone through comparative reading and practice of
            > > > Magbhagvat Geeta and Patanjali's Yoga Sutras? As I find
            objectives
            > > > of the two texts are diametrically opposite.
            > > >
            > > > From the practice point of view, I think, Yoga Sutras is a
            better
            > > > manual.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks for this thread.
            > > > regards

            > > medit8ionsociety

          • jogeshwarmahanta
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 30, 2007
              Oh! I forgot one very important aspect.

              In relation to God:

              Patanjal-Ishwara pranidhanadva(Or by devotion to God)

              Geeta-Sarba dharman parityajya mamekam sharanam braja(Abandon all
              and surrender to Me)-Lord Krishna
              regards

              --- In
              <jogeshwarmahanta@...> wrote:

              > Sorry for the spelling mistake.I intended to write Madbhagavat
              Geeta.

              > No.
              > The definitions of Yoga:
              >
              > Patnjali-Yogaschittavritti norodhah(Regulation of
              mind/procliviries).

              > Geeta-Sdhyasidhyo samabhutwa samatwam yoga uchyate(Accepting
              success
              > and failure as the same)
              >
              > Objectives-Moksha.
              >
              > Patanjali-Attaining the purest conscience/Transcending time and
              > space.
              >
              > Geeta-Merger with Him/God/Almighty/The Braman.
              >
              > Approach:
              >
              > Patanjali-Continuous deconditioning and reconditioning.
              >
              > Geeta-Just witnessing the happenings in detached manner.
              >
              > regards

              medit8ionsociety
              > <no_reply@> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In
              > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
              > > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > No further views?
              > > > regards
              > > >
              > > Yo Sri Jogeshwarmahanta,
              > > I didn't realize that you were referring to
              > > the Bhagavad Gita, but now I am assuming you
              > > were, and that it was your unique spelling
              > > (Magbhagvat Geeta) that made me feel unable
              > > to reply. I don't see in any way that the
              > > 2 books as being "diametrically opposite.
              > > Actually, I feel they compliment each other
              > > perfectly. The Gita shares how one can best
              > > prepare to medtate and live a pure life that
              > > eliminates the distractions that hold one back
              > > from experiencing the bounty of treasures that
              > > meditation brings. And the Sutras are the
              > > perfect "how-to" book on meditation. Together
              > > they comprise the totality of all one
              > > needs to learn, and then do, to best unfold
              > > the flower of peace, wisdom and bliss that is
              > > within and is the birthright of all of humanity.
              > > Peace and Blessings,
              > > Bob
              > > > --- In
              > > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

              > objectives

              > better

              > > > medit8ionsociety

            • jogeshwarmahanta
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
                So,I think, now there will be focus on Patanjali's Yoga Sutras,the
                smallest book of the greatest importance.
                regards

                --- In
                <jogeshwarmahanta@...> wrote:

                > Oh! I forgot one very important aspect.
                >
                > In relation to God:
                >
                > Patanjal-Ishwara pranidhanadva(Or by devotion to God)
                >
                > Geeta-Sarba dharman parityajya mamekam sharanam braja(Abandon all
                > and surrender to Me)-Lord Krishna
                > regards
                >

                > --- In
                > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
                > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Sorry for the spelling mistake.I intended to write Madbhagavat
                > Geeta.
                > >
                > > No.
                > > The definitions of Yoga:
                > >
                > > Patnjali-Yogaschittavritti norodhah(Regulation of
                > mind/procliviries).
                > >
                > > Geeta-Sdhyasidhyo samabhutwa samatwam yoga uchyate(Accepting
                > success
                > > and failure as the same)
                > >
                > > Objectives-Moksha.
                > >
                > > Patanjali-Attaining the purest conscience/Transcending time and
                > > space.
                > >
                > > Geeta-Merger with Him/God/Almighty/The Braman.
                > >
                > > Approach:
                > >
                > > Patanjali-Continuous deconditioning and reconditioning.
                > >
                > > Geeta-Just witnessing the happenings in detached manner.
                > >
                > > regards

                > medit8ionsociety
                > > <no_reply@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > --- In
                > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

                > > > Yo Sri Jogeshwarmahanta,
                > > > I didn't realize that you were referring to
                > > > the Bhagavad Gita, but now I am assuming you
                > > > were, and that it was your unique spelling
                > > > (Magbhagvat Geeta) that made me feel unable
                > > > to reply. I don't see in any way that the
                > > > 2 books as being "diametrically opposite.
                > > > Actually, I feel they compliment each other
                > > > perfectly. The Gita shares how one can best
                > > > prepare to medtate and live a pure life that
                > > > eliminates the distractions that hold one back
                > > > from experiencing the bounty of treasures that
                > > > meditation brings. And the Sutras are the
                > > > perfect "how-to" book on meditation. Together
                > > > they comprise the totality of all one
                > > > needs to learn, and then do, to best unfold
                > > > the flower of peace, wisdom and bliss that is
                > > > within and is the birthright of all of humanity.
                > > > Peace and Blessings,
                > > > Bob

                > of
                > > objectives

                > > better

              • jvmarco
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
                  In my opinion, the best currently available book on meditation is The
                  Myth of Freedom by Chogyam Trungpa.

                  It is said that it takes 100 life times for a monk to realize
                  enlightenment,...for a yogi it takes about 10 lifetimes,...however,
                  for a sly (wo)man, enlightenment can be realized in a single
                  lifetime. That meditation is called the Short Path or Vajrayana.

                  If you really cannot acknowledge the impermanence of duality and feel
                  you have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here, by all
                  means go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. If, on the other hand, you
                  realize that you don't have all the time in the world, and truly
                  appreciate how lucky you are to even have time for meditation, try
                  the Short Path.

                  :)

                  <jogeshwarmahanta@...> wrote:

                  > So,I think, now there will be focus on Patanjali's Yoga Sutras,the
                  > smallest book of the greatest importance.
                  > regards
                  >

                  > --- In
                  > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
                  > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Oh! I forgot one very important aspect.
                  > >
                  > > In relation to God:
                  > >
                  > > Patanjal-Ishwara pranidhanadva(Or by devotion to God)
                  > >
                  > > Geeta-Sarba dharman parityajya mamekam sharanam braja(Abandon all
                  > > and surrender to Me)-Lord Krishna
                  > > regards
                  > >

                  > > --- In
                  > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
                  > > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Sorry for the spelling mistake.I intended to write Madbhagavat
                  > > Geeta.
                  > > >
                  > > > No.
                  > > > The definitions of Yoga:
                  > > >
                  > > > Patnjali-Yogaschittavritti norodhah(Regulation of
                  > > mind/procliviries).
                  > > >
                  > > > Geeta-Sdhyasidhyo samabhutwa samatwam yoga uchyate(Accepting
                  > > success
                  > > > and failure as the same)
                  > > >
                  > > > Objectives-Moksha.
                  > > >
                  > > > Patanjali-Attaining the purest conscience/Transcending time and
                  > > > space.
                  > > >
                  > > > Geeta-Merger with Him/God/Almighty/The Braman.
                  > > >
                  > > > Approach:
                  > > >
                  > > > Patanjali-Continuous deconditioning and reconditioning.
                  > > >
                  > > > Geeta-Just witnessing the happenings in detached manner.
                  > > >
                  > > > regards

                  > > medit8ionsociety

                  > > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

                  > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

                  > > of
                  > > > objectives

                  > > > better

                • jogeshwarmahanta
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
                    "feel
                    you have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here, by all
                    means go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras."

                    Yes. The first objective is to prolong your life span first.
                    regards

                    --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jvmarco"
                    <jvmarco@...> wrote:

                    > In my opinion, the best currently available book on meditation is
                    The
                    > Myth of Freedom by Chogyam Trungpa.
                    >
                    > It is said that it takes 100 life times for a monk to realize
                    > enlightenment,...for a yogi it takes about 10
                    lifetimes,...however,
                    > for a sly (wo)man, enlightenment can be realized in a single
                    > lifetime. That meditation is called the Short Path or Vajrayana.
                    >
                    > If you really cannot acknowledge the impermanence of duality and
                    feel
                    > you have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here, by
                    all
                    > means go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. If, on the other hand, you
                    > realize that you don't have all the time in the world, and truly
                    > appreciate how lucky you are to even have time for meditation, try
                    > the Short Path.

                    > :)
                    >

                    > --- In
                    > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > So,I think, now there will be focus on Patanjali's Yoga
                    Sutras,the
                    > > smallest book of the greatest importance.
                    > > regards
                    > >

                    > > --- In
                    > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
                    > > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Oh! I forgot one very important aspect.
                    > > >
                    > > > In relation to God:
                    > > >
                    > > > Patanjal-Ishwara pranidhanadva(Or by devotion to God)
                    > > >
                    > > > Geeta-Sarba dharman parityajya mamekam sharanam braja(Abandon
                    all
                    > > > and surrender to Me)-Lord Krishna
                    > > > regards
                    > > >

                    > > > --- In
                    > > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

                    Madbhagavat
                    > > > Geeta.

                    > > > mind/procliviries).

                    > > > success

                    > > > medit8ionsociety

                    > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

                    > practice
                    > > > of

                  • Balasubramanian Radhakrishnan Kumar
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
                      Sri Bhagavan Ramana Maharishi's self enquiry method for self realisation is the shortest and the best. -- B.R.Kumar, Chennai -41, INDIA

                      To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
                      From: jogeshwarmahanta@...
                      Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 06:17:00 +0000
                      Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Re: The Best Book on Meditation

                      <jvmarco@... > wrote:

                      > In my opinion, the best currently available book on meditation is
                      The
                      > Myth of Freedom by Chogyam Trungpa.
                      >
                      > It is said that it takes 100 life times for a monk to realize
                      > enlightenment, ...for a yogi it takes about 10
                      lifetimes,.. .however,
                      > for a sly (wo)man, enlightenment can be realized in a single
                      > lifetime. That meditation is called the Short Path or Vajrayana.
                      >
                      > If you really cannot acknowledge the impermanence of duality and
                      feel
                      > you have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here, by
                      all
                      > means go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. If, on the other hand, you
                      > realize that you don't have all the time in the world, and truly
                      > appreciate how lucky you are to even have time for meditation, try
                      > the Short Path.

                      > :)
                      >

                      > --- In
                      meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
                      > <jogeshwarmahanta@ > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > So,I think, now there will be focus on Patanjali's Yoga
                      Sutras,the
                      > > smallest book of the greatest importance.
                      > > regards
                      > >

                      > > --- In
                      > > meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
                      > > <jogeshwarmahanta@ > wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Oh! I forgot one very important aspect.
                      > > >
                      > > > In relation to God:
                      > > >
                      > > > Patanjal-Ishwara pranidhanadva( Or by devotion to God)
                      > > >
                      > > > Geeta-Sarba dharman parityajya mamekam sharanam braja(Abandon
                      all
                      > > > and surrender to Me)-Lord Krishna
                      > > > regards
                      > > >

                      > > > --- In
                      > > > meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

                      Madbhagavat
                      > > > Geeta.

                      > > > mind/procliviries) .

                      > > > success

                      > > > medit8ionsociety

                      meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

                      > > meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

                      > practice
                      > > > of

                      Fly HYD-BLR for Rs.499 Log on to MakeMyTrip! Check it out!
                    • jogeshwarmahanta
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
                        From 1 book to 4 now.
                        regards

                        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Balasubramanian
                        Radhakrishnan Kumar <kumarbr20@...> wrote:

                        > Sri Bhagavan Ramana Maharishi's self enquiry method for self
                        realisation is the shortest and the best. -- B.R.Kumar, Chennai -41,
                        INDIA

                        > To: meditationsocietyofamerica@...: jogeshwarmahanta@...: Thu, 10
                        Jan 2008 06:17:00 +0000Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Re:
                        The Best Book on Meditation

                        > "feelyou have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here,
                        by allmeans go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras."Yes. The first objective
                        is to prolong your life span first.regards--- In
                        meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jvmarco" <jvmarco@>
                        wrote:>> In my opinion, the best currently available book on
                        meditation is The > Myth of Freedom by Chogyam Trungpa.> > It is
                        said that it takes 100 life times for a monk to realize >
                        enlightenment,...for a yogi it takes about 10 lifetimes,...however,
                        > for a sly (wo)man, enlightenment can be realized in a single >
                        lifetime. That meditation is called the Short Path or Vajrayana.> >
                        If you really cannot acknowledge the impermanence of duality and
                        feel > you have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here,
                        by all > means go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. If, on the other
                        hand, you > realize that you don't have all the time in the world,
                        and truly > appreciate how lucky you are to even have time for
                        meditation, try > the Short Path. > > V> :)> > > --- In
                        meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta" >
                        <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:> >> > So,I think, now there will be focus
                        <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:> > >> > > Oh! I forgot one very important
                        <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:> > > >> > > > Sorry for the spelling
                        mistake.I intended to write Madbhagavat > > > Geeta.> > > > > > > >
                        No. > > > > The definitions of Yoga:> > > > > > > > Patnjali-
                        Yogaschittavritti norodhah(Regulation of > > > mind/procliviries).>
                        (Accepting > > > success > > > > and failure as the same)> > > > > >
                        > > Objectives-Moksha.> > > > > > > > Patanjali-Attaining the purest
                        conscience/Transcending time and > > > > space.> > > > > > > > Geeta-
                        Merger with Him/God/Almighty/The Braman.> > > > > > > > Approach:> >
                        manner.> > > > > > > > regards> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
                        > > > medit8ionsociety > > > > <no_reply@> wrote:> > > > >> > > > > -
                        -- In > > > >
                        meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"> > >
                        > > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:> > > > > >> > > > > > No further
                        views?> > > > > > regards> > > > > > > > > > > Yo Sri
                        Jogeshwarmahanta,> > > > > I didn't realize that you were referring
                        to > > > > > the Bhagavad Gita, but now I am assuming you > > > > >
                        were, and that it was your unique spelling> > > > > (Magbhagvat
                        Geeta) that made me feel unable> > > > > to reply. I don't see in
                        any way that the> > > > > 2 books as being "diametrically opposite.>
                        perfectly. The Gita shares how one can best> > > > > prepare to
                        medtate and live a pure life that> > > > > eliminates the
                        distractions that hold one back> > > > > from experiencing the
                        bounty of treasures that> > > > > meditation brings. And the Sutras
                        are the> > > > > perfect "how-to" book on meditation. Together> > >
                        > > they comprise the totality of all one> > > > > needs to learn,
                        and then do, to best unfold> > > > > the flower of peace, wisdom and
                        bliss that is> > > > > within and is the birthright of all of
                        humanity.> > > > > Peace and Blessings,> > > > > Bob> > > > > > ---
                        meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta" > > >
                        > > > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:> > > > > > >> > > > > > > Has any
                        body gone through comparative reading and > practice > > > of > > >
                        > > objectives > > > > > > > of the two texts are diametrically
                        opposite.> > > > > > > > > > > > > > From the practice point of