Re: [Meditation Society of America] The Best Book on Meditation

  • Gwyn Plaine
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 13, 2007
      The issue for me is, if it requires that level of exegesis even to a Vedic, then I'd say is while it may be a good and comprehensive allegory on the meditative practice, (and I don't think anyone who's studied the field is disagreeing that) it's not 'the best' simply due to the level of opaqueness in the narrative. It is far from a 'how to' on meditation. Yogananda managed to run it to two pretty encyclopaedic slipcovered volumes.As to not getting it... like most religious texts there is the overt meaning, the allegorical meaning and the 'initiate' view. Having spent most of my adult life with my head in Middle Eastern, Southern Asiatic and Far Eastern religious thought, there is a lot that is critically dependent on cultural mores of the region, some that it genuinely a hidden in plain sight version, and a lot that is mental Rorschachery due to later reader's exegetical cultural lens...

      Please note, I'm not disagreeing with your point, far from it, but I am presenting a slight cautionary note to the effect there is possibly an inkblot psychology involved.

      On Dec 9, 2007 1:57 AM, sean tremblay < bethjams9@...> wrote:

      Bob,
      Thanks for that. I think "Getting it" is the biggest hurdle when we work with resources outside of our normal cultural context and I do believe I was not getting it for it's deeper meaning but I admit I didn't sit on it much either and in the context you have outlined I should give it a second look, it's funny that it was brought up because it keeps appearing on my coffee table when I have nothing to do.

      sean tremblay <bethjams9@...> wrote:

      > It's been a while since I have read it, But I started browsing
      through it again since it sits on my shelf and is a part of my wife's
      required reading for her yoga training. I would have to agree with
      Gwyn that it seems at least on surface to be a work more concerned
      with behavior than spirituality or meditation ...

      snip below

      The deal here is that many translations are very
      hard for Americans to "get". That's one main reason
      why I point to Swami Satchidananda's translation. His
      Americanized English is pretty clear. One aspect of this
      "war story" is that it can be seen to be pointing to the
      enemy that is within our mind...greed, hate, anger,
      jealousy, etc and that's what we really need to fight.
      Raja Yoga is the Yoga of Meditation and it has 8 steps.
      Here's the Wikipedia take on them.
      The eight limbs of Ashtanga (Raja) Yoga are:

      * Yama - Code of conduct - self-restraint
      * Niyama - religious observances - commitments
      to practice, such as study and devotion
      * &#256;sana - integration of mind and body
      through physical activity
      * Pranayama - regulation of breath leading
      to integration of mind and body
      * Pratyahara - abstraction of the senses,
      withdrawal of the senses of perception from their objects
      * Dharana - concentration, one-pointedness of mind
      * Dhyana - meditation (quiet activity that
      leads to samadhi)
      * Samadhi - the quiet state of blissful
      awareness, superconscious state

      As you can see, meditation has 6 steps before it can
      take place. Even just being able to concentrate will
      not happen without self-restraint, study, control of
      the mind and senses, etc. So if seen as a course in
      getting enough self control to meditate,the Gita is
      quite a guidebook.Everyone has something that is the
      main way that they become distracted when meditating.
      For some it can be their emotions, others their bodily
      reactivity, and many their mind chatter. That's the war
      that we need to wage. And seeing Krishna as the Divine
      identity within us and Arjuna as our "normal" mind/ego,
      the Gita and its directions on how life should be faced
      will well take us to where we must be for meditation to
      flow us into Samadhi.
      And in any event, it's a bit better than any Rambo movie
      if war stories are your thing.

      but I didn't get down to the gnats ass of it. When I first read it I
      think I was looking at it from a historical or anthropological view a
      curiosity such as reading the Epic of Gilgamesh or the Icelandic
      chronicles and I considered it interesting from that point. As an
      American and as a bit of an Anarchist in spirit I found the concepts
      of total abandonment of self to one duty or station in life to be a
      hard pill to swallow especial;y since I am a strong believer in the
      individuals choice for "Good" works especially when it come to making
      the choice for or against WAR, Violence, Killing ect...Or how we
      define the way in which we operate in this world IE what our
      > calling is and how we choose to fulfill it. So when Krishna and
      Arjuna are poised and ready at the battle field and Arjuna expresses
      his doubt I can't help but think of Pakistan and India poised on the
      border of Kashmir both parties brandishing the Nuke option One side
      believing in Karmic predestination The other in Gods righteous fury
      and quite frankly that scares the Bjesus outta me. I might be reading
      it wrong but as a piece of literature I still enjoyed as a portal into
      the mind of an ancient
      > culture
      >
      > medit8ionsociety <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Gwyn
      Plaine"
> [...]
      > > > montheistic deity and at the same time the
      > > > attributes of the Upanisadic absolute."
      > > > Ralph Waldo Emerson
      > > >
      > > > "In order to approach a creation as sublime
      > > > as the Bhagavad-Gita with full understanding
      > > > it is necessary to attune our soul to it." -
      > > > Rudolph Steiner
      > > >
      > > > "The Bhagavad-Gita is not seperate from the
      > > > Vaisnava philosophy and the Srimad Bhagavatam
      > > > fully reveals the true import of this doctrine
      > > > which is transmigation of the soul. On perusal
      > > > of the first chapter of Bhagavad-Gita one may
      > > > think that they are advised to engage in
      > > > warfare. When the second chapter has been read
      > > > it can be clearly understood that knowledge and
      > > > the soul is the ultimate goal to be
      > > > attained. On studying the third chapter it is
      > > > apparent that acts of righteousness are also of
      > > > high priority. If we continue and patiently
      > > > take the time to complete the Bhagavad-Gita and
      > > > try to ascertain the truth of its closing chapter
      > > > we can see that the ultimate conclusion
      > > > is to relinquish all the conceptualized ideas
      > > > of religion which we possess and fully surrender
      > > > directly unto the Supreme Lord."
      > > > Sri Swami Prabhupada
      > > >
      > > > "The secret of karma yoga which is to perform
      > > > actions without any fruitive desires is taught
      > > > by Lord Krishna in the Bhagavad-Gita."
      > > > Swami Vivekananda
      > > >
      > > > "The Bhagavad-Gita was spoken by Lord Krishna to
      > > > reveal the science of devotion to God which is the
      > > > essence of all spiritual knowledge. The
      > > > Supreme Lord Krishnas primary purpose for descending
      > > > and incarnating is relieve the world of any demoniac
      > > > and negative, undesirable influences that are
      > > > opposed to spiritual development, yet
      > > > simultaneously it is His incomparable intention
      > > > to be perpetually within reach of all humanity."
      > > > Sri Ramanuja
      > > >
      > > > "Nothing has ever arisen in my life, internal
      > > > or external, that the Gita has not made clear
      > > > and enabled me to deal with or understand."
      > > > Swami Nirmalananda Giri
      > > >
      > > > "When doubts haunt me, when disappointments
      > > > stare me in the face, and I see not one ray of
      > > > hope on the horizon, I turn to Bhagavad-Gita and
      > > > find a verse to comfort me; and I immediately begin
      > > > to smile in the midst of overwhelming sorrow. Those
      > > > who meditate on the Gita will
      > > > derive fresh joy and new meanings from it every day."
      > > > Mahatma Gandhiji
      > > >
      > > > "From a clear knowledge of the Bhagavad-Gita all
      > > > the goals of human existence become fulfilled.
      > > > Bhagavad-Gita is the manifest quintessence
      > > > of all the teachings of the Vedic scriptures."
      > > > Adi Sankara
      > > >
      > > > "The secret of karma yoga which is to perform
      > > > actions without any fruitive desires is taught
      > > > by Lord Krishna in the Bhagavad-Gita." -
      > > > Swami Vivekananda
      > > >
      > > > "The Bhagavad-Gita is where God Himself talks to
      > > > His devotee Arjuna."
      > > > Paramahansa Yogananda
      > > >
      > > > "The Bhagavad-Gita has a profound influence on
      > > > the spirit of mankind by its devotion to God

      Search.

    • jogeshwarmahanta
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 15, 2007
        Has any body gone through comparative reading and practice of
        Magbhagvat Geeta and Patanjali's Yoga Sutras? As I find objectives
        of the two texts are diametrically opposite.

        From the practice point of view, I think, Yoga Sutras is a better
        manual.

        Thanks for this thread.
        regards

        <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > find a verse to comfort me; and I immediately begin
        > to smile in the midst of overwhelming sorrow. Those
        > who meditate on the Gita will
        > derive fresh joy and new meanings from it every day."
        > Mahatma Gandhiji
        >
        > "From a clear knowledge of the Bhagavad-Gita all
        > the goals of human existence become fulfilled.
        > Bhagavad-Gita is the manifest quintessence
        > of all the teachings of the Vedic scriptures."
        > Adi Sankara
        >
        > "The secret of karma yoga which is to perform
        > actions without any fruitive desires is taught
        > by Lord Krishna in the Bhagavad-Gita." -
        > Swami Vivekananda
        >
        > "The Bhagavad-Gita is where God Himself talks to
        > His devotee Arjuna."
        > Paramahansa Yogananda
        >
        > "The Bhagavad-Gita has a profound influence on
        > the spirit of mankind by its devotion to God

      • jogeshwarmahanta
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 29, 2007
          No further views?
          regards

          --- In

          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 29, 2007
            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
            <jogeshwarmahanta@...> wrote:

            > No further views?
            > regards

            Yo Sri Jogeshwarmahanta,
            I didn't realize that you were referring to
            the Bhagavad Gita, but now I am assuming you
            were, and that it was your unique spelling
            (Magbhagvat Geeta) that made me feel unable
            to reply. I don't see in any way that the
            2 books as being "diametrically opposite.
            Actually, I feel they compliment each other
            perfectly. The Gita shares how one can best
            prepare to medtate and live a pure life that
            eliminates the distractions that hold one back
            from experiencing the bounty of treasures that
            meditation brings. And the Sutras are the
            perfect "how-to" book on meditation. Together
            they comprise the totality of all one
            needs to learn, and then do, to best unfold
            the flower of peace, wisdom and bliss that is
            within and is the birthright of all of humanity.
            Peace and Blessings,
            Bob

          • jogeshwarmahanta
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 29, 2007
              Sorry for the spelling mistake.I intended to write Madbhagavat Geeta.

              No.
              The definitions of Yoga:

              Patnjali-Yogaschittavritti norodhah(Regulation of mind/procliviries).

              Geeta-Sdhyasidhyo samabhutwa samatwam yoga uchyate(Accepting success
              and failure as the same)

              Objectives-Moksha.

              Patanjali-Attaining the purest conscience/Transcending time and
              space.

              Geeta-Merger with Him/God/Almighty/The Braman.

              Approach:

              Patanjali-Continuous deconditioning and reconditioning.

              Geeta-Just witnessing the happenings in detached manner.

              regards

              <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > --- In
              > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
              > >
              > > No further views?
              > > regards
              > >
              > Yo Sri Jogeshwarmahanta,
              > I didn't realize that you were referring to
              > the Bhagavad Gita, but now I am assuming you
              > were, and that it was your unique spelling
              > (Magbhagvat Geeta) that made me feel unable
              > to reply. I don't see in any way that the
              > 2 books as being "diametrically opposite.
              > Actually, I feel they compliment each other
              > perfectly. The Gita shares how one can best
              > prepare to medtate and live a pure life that
              > eliminates the distractions that hold one back
              > from experiencing the bounty of treasures that
              > meditation brings. And the Sutras are the
              > perfect "how-to" book on meditation. Together
              > they comprise the totality of all one
              > needs to learn, and then do, to best unfold
              > the flower of peace, wisdom and bliss that is
              > within and is the birthright of all of humanity.
              > Peace and Blessings,
              > Bob
              > > --- In
              > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
              > > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Has any body gone through comparative reading and practice of
              > > > Magbhagvat Geeta and Patanjali's Yoga Sutras? As I find
              objectives
              > > > of the two texts are diametrically opposite.
              > > >
              > > > From the practice point of view, I think, Yoga Sutras is a
              better
              > > > manual.
              > > >
              > > > Thanks for this thread.
              > > > regards

              > > medit8ionsociety

            • jogeshwarmahanta
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 30, 2007
                Oh! I forgot one very important aspect.

                In relation to God:

                Patanjal-Ishwara pranidhanadva(Or by devotion to God)

                Geeta-Sarba dharman parityajya mamekam sharanam braja(Abandon all
                and surrender to Me)-Lord Krishna
                regards

                --- In
                <jogeshwarmahanta@...> wrote:

                > Sorry for the spelling mistake.I intended to write Madbhagavat
                Geeta.

                > No.
                > The definitions of Yoga:
                >
                > Patnjali-Yogaschittavritti norodhah(Regulation of
                mind/procliviries).

                > Geeta-Sdhyasidhyo samabhutwa samatwam yoga uchyate(Accepting
                success
                > and failure as the same)
                >
                > Objectives-Moksha.
                >
                > Patanjali-Attaining the purest conscience/Transcending time and
                > space.
                >
                > Geeta-Merger with Him/God/Almighty/The Braman.
                >
                > Approach:
                >
                > Patanjali-Continuous deconditioning and reconditioning.
                >
                > Geeta-Just witnessing the happenings in detached manner.
                >
                > regards

                medit8ionsociety
                > <no_reply@> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In
                > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
                > > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > No further views?
                > > > regards
                > > >
                > > Yo Sri Jogeshwarmahanta,
                > > I didn't realize that you were referring to
                > > the Bhagavad Gita, but now I am assuming you
                > > were, and that it was your unique spelling
                > > (Magbhagvat Geeta) that made me feel unable
                > > to reply. I don't see in any way that the
                > > 2 books as being "diametrically opposite.
                > > Actually, I feel they compliment each other
                > > perfectly. The Gita shares how one can best
                > > prepare to medtate and live a pure life that
                > > eliminates the distractions that hold one back
                > > from experiencing the bounty of treasures that
                > > meditation brings. And the Sutras are the
                > > perfect "how-to" book on meditation. Together
                > > they comprise the totality of all one
                > > needs to learn, and then do, to best unfold
                > > the flower of peace, wisdom and bliss that is
                > > within and is the birthright of all of humanity.
                > > Peace and Blessings,
                > > Bob
                > > > --- In
                > > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

                > objectives

                > better

                > > > medit8ionsociety

              • jogeshwarmahanta
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
                  So,I think, now there will be focus on Patanjali's Yoga Sutras,the
                  smallest book of the greatest importance.
                  regards

                  --- In
                  <jogeshwarmahanta@...> wrote:

                  > Oh! I forgot one very important aspect.
                  >
                  > In relation to God:
                  >
                  > Patanjal-Ishwara pranidhanadva(Or by devotion to God)
                  >
                  > Geeta-Sarba dharman parityajya mamekam sharanam braja(Abandon all
                  > and surrender to Me)-Lord Krishna
                  > regards
                  >

                  > --- In
                  > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
                  > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Sorry for the spelling mistake.I intended to write Madbhagavat
                  > Geeta.
                  > >
                  > > No.
                  > > The definitions of Yoga:
                  > >
                  > > Patnjali-Yogaschittavritti norodhah(Regulation of
                  > mind/procliviries).
                  > >
                  > > Geeta-Sdhyasidhyo samabhutwa samatwam yoga uchyate(Accepting
                  > success
                  > > and failure as the same)
                  > >
                  > > Objectives-Moksha.
                  > >
                  > > Patanjali-Attaining the purest conscience/Transcending time and
                  > > space.
                  > >
                  > > Geeta-Merger with Him/God/Almighty/The Braman.
                  > >
                  > > Approach:
                  > >
                  > > Patanjali-Continuous deconditioning and reconditioning.
                  > >
                  > > Geeta-Just witnessing the happenings in detached manner.
                  > >
                  > > regards

                  > medit8ionsociety
                  > > <no_reply@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In
                  > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

                  > > > Yo Sri Jogeshwarmahanta,
                  > > > I didn't realize that you were referring to
                  > > > the Bhagavad Gita, but now I am assuming you
                  > > > were, and that it was your unique spelling
                  > > > (Magbhagvat Geeta) that made me feel unable
                  > > > to reply. I don't see in any way that the
                  > > > 2 books as being "diametrically opposite.
                  > > > Actually, I feel they compliment each other
                  > > > perfectly. The Gita shares how one can best
                  > > > prepare to medtate and live a pure life that
                  > > > eliminates the distractions that hold one back
                  > > > from experiencing the bounty of treasures that
                  > > > meditation brings. And the Sutras are the
                  > > > perfect "how-to" book on meditation. Together
                  > > > they comprise the totality of all one
                  > > > needs to learn, and then do, to best unfold
                  > > > the flower of peace, wisdom and bliss that is
                  > > > within and is the birthright of all of humanity.
                  > > > Peace and Blessings,
                  > > > Bob

                  > of
                  > > objectives

                  > > better

                • jvmarco
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
                    In my opinion, the best currently available book on meditation is The
                    Myth of Freedom by Chogyam Trungpa.

                    It is said that it takes 100 life times for a monk to realize
                    enlightenment,...for a yogi it takes about 10 lifetimes,...however,
                    for a sly (wo)man, enlightenment can be realized in a single
                    lifetime. That meditation is called the Short Path or Vajrayana.

                    If you really cannot acknowledge the impermanence of duality and feel
                    you have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here, by all
                    means go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. If, on the other hand, you
                    realize that you don't have all the time in the world, and truly
                    appreciate how lucky you are to even have time for meditation, try
                    the Short Path.

                    :)

                    <jogeshwarmahanta@...> wrote:

                    > So,I think, now there will be focus on Patanjali's Yoga Sutras,the
                    > smallest book of the greatest importance.
                    > regards
                    >

                    > --- In
                    > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
                    > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Oh! I forgot one very important aspect.
                    > >
                    > > In relation to God:
                    > >
                    > > Patanjal-Ishwara pranidhanadva(Or by devotion to God)
                    > >
                    > > Geeta-Sarba dharman parityajya mamekam sharanam braja(Abandon all
                    > > and surrender to Me)-Lord Krishna
                    > > regards
                    > >

                    > > --- In
                    > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
                    > > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Sorry for the spelling mistake.I intended to write Madbhagavat
                    > > Geeta.
                    > > >
                    > > > No.
                    > > > The definitions of Yoga:
                    > > >
                    > > > Patnjali-Yogaschittavritti norodhah(Regulation of
                    > > mind/procliviries).
                    > > >
                    > > > Geeta-Sdhyasidhyo samabhutwa samatwam yoga uchyate(Accepting
                    > > success
                    > > > and failure as the same)
                    > > >
                    > > > Objectives-Moksha.
                    > > >
                    > > > Patanjali-Attaining the purest conscience/Transcending time and
                    > > > space.
                    > > >
                    > > > Geeta-Merger with Him/God/Almighty/The Braman.
                    > > >
                    > > > Approach:
                    > > >
                    > > > Patanjali-Continuous deconditioning and reconditioning.
                    > > >
                    > > > Geeta-Just witnessing the happenings in detached manner.
                    > > >
                    > > > regards

                    > > medit8ionsociety

                    > > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

                    > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

                    > > of
                    > > > objectives

                    > > > better

                  • jogeshwarmahanta
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
                      "feel
                      you have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here, by all
                      means go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras."

                      Yes. The first objective is to prolong your life span first.
                      regards

                      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jvmarco"
                      <jvmarco@...> wrote:

                      > In my opinion, the best currently available book on meditation is
                      The
                      > Myth of Freedom by Chogyam Trungpa.
                      >
                      > It is said that it takes 100 life times for a monk to realize
                      > enlightenment,...for a yogi it takes about 10
                      lifetimes,...however,
                      > for a sly (wo)man, enlightenment can be realized in a single
                      > lifetime. That meditation is called the Short Path or Vajrayana.
                      >
                      > If you really cannot acknowledge the impermanence of duality and
                      feel
                      > you have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here, by
                      all
                      > means go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. If, on the other hand, you
                      > realize that you don't have all the time in the world, and truly
                      > appreciate how lucky you are to even have time for meditation, try
                      > the Short Path.

                      > :)
                      >

                      > --- In
                      > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > So,I think, now there will be focus on Patanjali's Yoga
                      Sutras,the
                      > > smallest book of the greatest importance.
                      > > regards
                      > >

                      > > --- In
                      > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
                      > > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Oh! I forgot one very important aspect.
                      > > >
                      > > > In relation to God:
                      > > >
                      > > > Patanjal-Ishwara pranidhanadva(Or by devotion to God)
                      > > >
                      > > > Geeta-Sarba dharman parityajya mamekam sharanam braja(Abandon
                      all
                      > > > and surrender to Me)-Lord Krishna
                      > > > regards
                      > > >

                      > > > --- In
                      > > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

                      Madbhagavat
                      > > > Geeta.

                      > > > mind/procliviries).

                      > > > success

                      > > > medit8ionsociety

                      > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

                      > practice
                      > > > of

                    • Balasubramanian Radhakrishnan Kumar
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
                        Sri Bhagavan Ramana Maharishi's self enquiry method for self realisation is the shortest and the best. -- B.R.Kumar, Chennai -41, INDIA

                        To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
                        From: jogeshwarmahanta@...
                        Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 06:17:00 +0000
                        Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Re: The Best Book on Meditation

                        <jvmarco@... > wrote:

                        > In my opinion, the best currently available book on meditation is
                        The
                        > Myth of Freedom by Chogyam Trungpa.
                        >
                        > It is said that it takes 100 life times for a monk to realize
                        > enlightenment, ...for a yogi it takes about 10
                        lifetimes,.. .however,
                        > for a sly (wo)man, enlightenment can be realized in a single
                        > lifetime. That meditation is called the Short Path or Vajrayana.
                        >
                        > If you really cannot acknowledge the impermanence of duality and
                        feel
                        > you have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here, by
                        all
                        > means go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. If, on the other hand, you
                        > realize that you don't have all the time in the world, and truly
                        > appreciate how lucky you are to even have time for meditation, try
                        > the Short Path.

                        > :)
                        >

                        > --- In
                        meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
                        > <jogeshwarmahanta@ > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > So,I think, now there will be focus on Patanjali's Yoga
                        Sutras,the
                        > > smallest book of the greatest importance.
                        > > regards
                        > >

                        > > --- In
                        > > meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
                        > > <jogeshwarmahanta@ > wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Oh! I forgot one very important aspect.
                        > > >
                        > > > In relation to God:
                        > > >
                        > > > Patanjal-Ishwara pranidhanadva( Or by devotion to God)
                        > > >
                        > > > Geeta-Sarba dharman parityajya mamekam sharanam braja(Abandon
                        all
                        > > > and surrender to Me)-Lord Krishna
                        > > > regards
                        > > >

                        > > > --- In
                        > > > meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

                        Madbhagavat
                        > > > Geeta.

                        > > > mind/procliviries) .

                        > > > success

                        > > > medit8ionsociety

                        meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

                        > > meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

                        > practice
                        > > > of

                        Fly HYD-BLR for Rs.499 Log on to MakeMyTrip! Check it out!
                      • jogeshwarmahanta
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
                          From 1 book to 4 now.
                          regards

                          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Balasubramanian
                          Radhakrishnan Kumar <kumarbr20@...> wrote:

                          > Sri Bhagavan Ramana Maharishi's self enquiry method for self
                          realisation is the shortest and the best. -- B.R.Kumar, Chennai -41,
                          INDIA

                          > To: meditationsocietyofamerica@...: jogeshwarmahanta@...: Thu, 10
                          Jan 2008 06:17:00 +0000Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Re:
                          The Best Book on Meditation

                          > "feelyou have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here,
                          by allmeans go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras."Yes. The first objective
                          is to prolong your life span first.regards--- In
                          meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jvmarco" <jvmarco@>
                          wrote:>> In my opinion, the best currently available book on
                          meditation is The > Myth of Freedom by Chogyam Trungpa.> > It is
                          said that it takes 100 life times for a monk to realize >
                          enlightenment,...for a yogi it takes about 10 lifetimes,...however,
                          > for a sly (wo)man, enlightenment can be realized in a single >
                          lifetime. That meditation is called the Short Path or Vajrayana.> >
                          If you really cannot acknowledge the impermanence of duality and
                          feel > you have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here,
                          by all > means go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. If, on the other
                          hand, you > realize that you don't have all the time in the world,
                          and truly > appreciate how lucky you are to even have time for
                          meditation, try > the Short Path. > > V> :)> > > --- In
                          meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta" >
                          <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:> >> > So,I think, now there will be focus
                          <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:> > >> > > Oh! I forgot one very important
                          <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:> > > >> > > > Sorry for the spelling
                          mistake.I intended to write Madbhagavat > > > Geeta.> > > > > > > >
                          No. > > > > The definitions of Yoga:> > > > > > > > Patnjali-
                          Yogaschittavritti norodhah(Regulation of > > > mind/procliviries).>
                          (Accepting > > > success > > > > and failure as the same)> > > > > >
                          > > Objectives-Moksha.> > > > > > > > Patanjali-Attaining the purest
                          conscience/Transcending time and > > > > space.> > > > > > > > Geeta-
                          Merger with Him/God/Almighty/The Braman.> > > > > > > > Approach:> >
                          manner.> > > > > > > > regards> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
                          > > > medit8ionsociety > > > > <no_reply@> wrote:> > > > >> > > > > -
                          -- In > > > >
                          meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"> > >
                          > > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:> > > > > >> > > > > > No further
                          views?> > > > > > regards> > > > > > > > > > > Yo Sri
                          Jogeshwarmahanta,> > > > > I didn't realize that you were referring
                          to > > > > > the Bhagavad Gita, but now I am assuming you > > > > >
                          were, and that it was your unique spelling> > > > > (Magbhagvat
                          Geeta) that made me feel unable> > > > > to reply. I don't see in
                          any way that the> > > > > 2 books as being "diametrically opposite.>
                          perfectly. The Gita shares how one can best> > > > > prepare to
                          medtate and live a pure life that> > > > > eliminates the
                          distractions that hold one back> > > > > from experiencing the
                          bounty of treasures that> > > > > meditation brings. And the Sutras
                          are the> > > > > perfect "how-to" book on meditation. Together> > >
                          > > they comprise the totality of all one> > > > > needs to learn,
                          and then do, to best unfold> > > > > the flower of peace, wisdom and
                          bliss that is> > > > > within and is the birthright of all of
                          humanity.> > > > > Peace and Blessings,> > > > > Bob> > > > > > ---
                          meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta" > > >
                          > > > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:> > > > > > >> > > > > > > Has any
                          body gone through comparative reading and > practice > > > of > > >
                          > > objectives > > > > > > > of the two texts are diametrically
                          opposite.> > > > > > > > > > > > > > From the practice point of