Re: [Meditation Society of America] The Best Book Ever on Meditation

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 7, 2007
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Silent Thunder
      <pacificmonk@...> wrote:

      > Dudes! I can find half a million such quotes for every other
      religious text ever written... quotes can't make one piece of
      scripture better than another...

      Yo Wolf,
      You're 100% right. And saying the Gita is the best
      in a way is way off base. Each of us may react and act
      differently in relation to what we ingest. I love
      the Bhagavad-Gita and also the Bible, Koran, etc.
      But, few Americans have even heard about the Gita
      and I'm sure many could benefit from its wisdom.
      So with the synchronistic appearance of the emails
      and the newsletter, here it has been mentioned and
      labeled as the "Best". And for those who gain
      greater peace from its knowledge, it may well be
      so. But for many, it may not. I'm wondering what
      others think is the very best book to recommend
      to others, particularly those just starting to
      look at meditation/consciousness evolution/etc?

      > sean tremblay <bethjams9@...> wrote:
      And it's a kick ass story filled with action adventure and romance

> [...]
      > Upanisadic absolute."
      > Ralph Waldo Emerson
      >
      > "In order to approach a creation as sublime as the Bhagavad-Gita with
      > full understanding it is necessary to attune our soul to it." -
      > Rudolph Steiner
      >
      > "The Bhagavad-Gita is not seperate from the Vaisnava philosophy and
      > the Srimad Bhagavatam fully reveals the true import of this doctrine
      > which is transmigation of the soul. On perusal of the first chapter of
      > Bhagavad-Gita one may think that they are advised to engage in
      > warfare. When the second chapter has been read it can be clearly
      > understood that knowledge and the soul is the ultimate goal to be
      > attained. On studying the third chapter it is apparent that acts of
      > righteousness are also of high priority. If we continue and patiently
      > take the time to complete the Bhagavad-Gita and try to ascertain the
      > truth of its closing chapter we can see that the ultimate conclusion
      > is to relinquish all the conceptualized ideas of religion which we
      > possess and fully surrender directly unto the Supreme Lord."
      > Sri Swami Prabhupada
      >
      > "The secret of karma yoga which is to perform actions without any
      > fruitive desires is taught by Lord Krishna in the Bhagavad-Gita." -
      > Swami Vivekananda
      >
      > "The Bhagavad-Gita was spoken by Lord Krishna to reveal the science of
      > devotion to God which is the essence of all spiritual knowledge. The
      > Supreme Lord Krishnas primary purpose for descending and incarnating
      > is relieve the world of any demoniac and negative, undesirable
      > influences that are opposed to spiritual development, yet
      > simultaneously it is His incomparable intention to be perpetually
      > within reach of all humanity."
      > Sri Ramanuja
      >
      > "Nothing has ever arisen in my life, internal or external, that the
      > Gita has not made clear and enabled me to deal with or understand." -
      > Swami Nirmalananda Giri
      >
      > "When doubts haunt me, when disappointments stare me in the face, and
      > I see not one ray of hope on the horizon, I turn to Bhagavad-Gita and
      > find a verse to comfort me; and I immediately begin to smile in the
      > midst of overwhelming sorrow. Those who meditate on the Gita will
      > derive fresh joy and new meanings from it every day."
      > Mahatma Gandhiji
      >
      > "From a clear knowledge of the Bhagavad-Gita all the goals of human
      > existence become fulfilled. Bhagavad-Gita is the manifest quintessence
      > of all the teachings of the Vedic scriptures."
      > Adi Sankara
      >
      > "The secret of karma yoga which is to perform actions without any
      > fruitive desires is taught by Lord Krishna in the Bhagavad-Gita." -
      > Swami Vivekananda
      >
      > "The Bhagavad-Gita is where God Himself talks to His devotee Arjuna."
      > Paramahansa Yogananda
      >
      > "The Bhagavad-Gita has a profound influence on the spirit of mankind
      > by its devotion to God which is manifested by actions."

      Try it now.

      > ---------------------------------
      Try it now.

    • sean tremblay

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 7, 2007
          sean tremblay <bethjams9@...> wrote:

          It's still a good book Duuuuuude

          Yeah well I never said it wasn't. Personally, I've never read it but I know the overall plot about Krishna being a prince and going to war and all.

          To me, self-inquiry or "inner exploration" is all that matters. And I consider it the best form of meditation ever. Of course, we're all unique so we can't have a one-size-fits-all technique we all can use. What I'd suggest to someone just starting out is to try out different methods and see which one suits them best.

          I know little about meditation guides but the 108 techniques found on the meditationsociety website were really helpful.

          Apart from this, I've found Conversations With God (CWG) by Neale Donald Walsch a great read. For people who don't know, it's a sort of newage, god-is-like-the-feller-next-door, live-as-you-please treatise but very insightful. What Rhonda Byrne goes on and on about in "The Secret" was summarized in CWG way before Byrne wrote her stuff. Of course it's quite an old concept but what I'm saying is CWG has a LOT of great, eye-opening stuff for all you people who aren't too spiritually evolved (which is everyone but myself ;) j/k).

          Also worth mention is the immortal Zen classic, The Gateless Gate. I read it a long time ago and I still can't get my head around it. That isn't necessarily a bad thing though. It's a really intriguing piece of work and is freely available on the net.

          But if you want the best piece of spiritual work ever, go watch South Park :)

          Gwyn Plaine <gplaine@...> wrote:

          throwing a babe into a shark pool

          Kick ass! :)