Re: [Meditation Society of America] The Best Book Ever on Meditation

  • sean tremblay
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 7, 2007
      And it's a kick ass story filled with action adventure and romance

      One of the most common emails the
      Meditation Society of America gets
      asks for advice on which books are
      the best dealing with meditation.
      We had several this week and also
      received an email from the Divya
      Jivan Newsletter that pointed to
      one answer to this question. We'll
      let these quotes speak for themselves:

      "When I read the Bhagavad-Gita and reflect about how God created this
      universe everything else seems so superfluous. " - Albert Einstein

      "The Bhagavad-Gita calls on humanity to dedicate body, mind and soul
      to pure duty and not to become mental voluptuaries at the mercy of
      random desires and undisciplined impulses." -Mahatma Gandhiji

      "The Bhagavad-Gita is the most systematic statement of spiritual
      evolution of endowing value to mankind. It is one of the most clear
      and comprehensive summaries of perennial philosophy ever revealed;
      hence its enduring value is subject not only to India but to all of
      humanity." - Aldous Huxley

      "The Bhagavad-Gita is a true scripture of the human race a living
      creation rather than a book, with a new message for every age and a
      new meaning for every civilization. " - Sri Aurobindo

      "In the morning I bathe my intellect in the stupendous and cosmogonal
      philosophy of the Bhagavad-Gita, in comparison with which our modern
      world and its literature seems puny and trivial."
      Henry David Thoreau

      "The marvel of the Bhagavad-Gita is its truly beautiful revelation of
      life's wisdom which enables philosophy to blossom into religion." -
      Herman Hesse

      "The Bhagavad-Gita deals essentially with the spiritual foundation of
      human existence. It is a call of action to meet the obligations and
      duties of life; yet keeping in view the spiritual nature and grander
      purpose of the universe."
      Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru

      "I owed a magnificent day to the Bhagavad-Gita. It was the first of
      books; it was as if an empire spoke to us, nothing small or unworthy,
      but large, serene, consistent, the voice of an old intelligence which
      in another age and climate had pondered and thus disposed of the same
      questions which exercise us."
      Ralph Waldo Emerson

      "The Bhagavad-Gita is an empire of thought and in its philosophical
      teachings Krishna has all the attributes of the full-fledged
      montheistic deity and at the same time the attributes of the
      Upanisadic absolute."
      Ralph Waldo Emerson

      "In order to approach a creation as sublime as the Bhagavad-Gita with
      full understanding it is necessary to attune our soul to it." -
      Rudolph Steiner

      "The Bhagavad-Gita is not seperate from the Vaisnava philosophy and
      the Srimad Bhagavatam fully reveals the true import of this doctrine
      which is transmigation of the soul. On perusal of the first chapter of
      Bhagavad-Gita one may think that they are advised to engage in
      warfare. When the second chapter has been read it can be clearly
      understood that knowledge and the soul is the ultimate goal to be
      attained. On studying the third chapter it is apparent that acts of
      righteousness are also of high priority. If we continue and patiently
      take the time to complete the Bhagavad-Gita and try to ascertain the
      truth of its closing chapter we can see that the ultimate conclusion
      is to relinquish all the conceptualized ideas of religion which we
      possess and fully surrender directly unto the Supreme Lord."
      Sri Swami Prabhupada

      "The secret of karma yoga which is to perform actions without any
      fruitive desires is taught by Lord Krishna in the Bhagavad-Gita. " -
      Swami Vivekananda

      "The Bhagavad-Gita was spoken by Lord Krishna to reveal the science of
      devotion to God which is the essence of all spiritual knowledge. The
      Supreme Lord Krishnas primary purpose for descending and incarnating
      is relieve the world of any demoniac and negative, undesirable
      influences that are opposed to spiritual development, yet
      simultaneously it is His incomparable intention to be perpetually
      within reach of all humanity."
      Sri Ramanuja

      "Nothing has ever arisen in my life, internal or external, that the
      Gita has not made clear and enabled me to deal with or understand." -
      Swami Nirmalananda Giri

      "When doubts haunt me, when disappointments stare me in the face, and
      I see not one ray of hope on the horizon, I turn to Bhagavad-Gita and
      find a verse to comfort me; and I immediately begin to smile in the
      midst of overwhelming sorrow. Those who meditate on the Gita will
      derive fresh joy and new meanings from it every day."
      Mahatma Gandhiji

      "From a clear knowledge of the Bhagavad-Gita all the goals of human
      existence become fulfilled. Bhagavad-Gita is the manifest quintessence
      of all the teachings of the Vedic scriptures."
      Adi Sankara

      "The secret of karma yoga which is to perform actions without any
      fruitive desires is taught by Lord Krishna in the Bhagavad-Gita. " -
      Swami Vivekananda

      "The Bhagavad-Gita is where God Himself talks to His devotee Arjuna."
      Paramahansa Yogananda

      "The Bhagavad-Gita has a profound influence on the spirit of mankind
      by its devotion to God which is manifested by actions."
      Dr. Albert Schweizer

    • Silent Thunder

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 7, 2007
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Silent Thunder
          <pacificmonk@...> wrote:

          > Dudes! I can find half a million such quotes for every other
          religious text ever written... quotes can't make one piece of
          scripture better than another...

          Yo Wolf,
          You're 100% right. And saying the Gita is the best
          in a way is way off base. Each of us may react and act
          differently in relation to what we ingest. I love
          the Bhagavad-Gita and also the Bible, Koran, etc.
          But, few Americans have even heard about the Gita
          and I'm sure many could benefit from its wisdom.
          So with the synchronistic appearance of the emails
          and the newsletter, here it has been mentioned and
          labeled as the "Best". And for those who gain
          greater peace from its knowledge, it may well be
          so. But for many, it may not. I'm wondering what
          others think is the very best book to recommend
          to others, particularly those just starting to
          look at meditation/consciousness evolution/etc?

> [...]
          > find a verse to comfort me; and I immediately begin to smile in the
          > midst of overwhelming sorrow. Those who meditate on the Gita will
          > derive fresh joy and new meanings from it every day."
          > Mahatma Gandhiji
          >
          > "From a clear knowledge of the Bhagavad-Gita all the goals of human
          > existence become fulfilled. Bhagavad-Gita is the manifest quintessence
          > of all the teachings of the Vedic scriptures."
          > Adi Sankara
          >
          > "The secret of karma yoga which is to perform actions without any
          > fruitive desires is taught by Lord Krishna in the Bhagavad-Gita." -
          > Swami Vivekananda
          >
          > "The Bhagavad-Gita is where God Himself talks to His devotee Arjuna."
          > Paramahansa Yogananda
          >
          > "The Bhagavad-Gita has a profound influence on the spirit of mankind
          > by its devotion to God which is manifested by actions."

          Try it now.

          > ---------------------------------
          Try it now.

        • sean tremblay

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 7, 2007
              sean tremblay <bethjams9@...> wrote:

              It's still a good book Duuuuuude

              Yeah well I never said it wasn't. Personally, I've never read it but I know the overall plot about Krishna being a prince and going to war and all.

              To me, self-inquiry or "inner exploration" is all that matters. And I consider it the best form of meditation ever. Of course, we're all unique so we can't have a one-size-fits-all technique we all can use. What I'd suggest to someone just starting out is to try out different methods and see which one suits them best.

              I know little about meditation guides but the 108 techniques found on the meditationsociety website were really helpful.

              Apart from this, I've found Conversations With God (CWG) by Neale Donald Walsch a great read. For people who don't know, it's a sort of newage, god-is-like-the-feller-next-door, live-as-you-please treatise but very insightful. What Rhonda Byrne goes on and on about in "The Secret" was summarized in CWG way before Byrne wrote her stuff. Of course it's quite an old concept but what I'm saying is CWG has a LOT of great, eye-opening stuff for all you people who aren't too spiritually evolved (which is everyone but myself ;) j/k).

              Also worth mention is the immortal Zen classic, The Gateless Gate. I read it a long time ago and I still can't get my head around it. That isn't necessarily a bad thing though. It's a really intriguing piece of work and is freely available on the net.

              But if you want the best piece of spiritual work ever, go watch South Park :)

              Gwyn Plaine <gplaine@...> wrote:

              throwing a babe into a shark pool

              Kick ass! :)