Re: Harvard and meditation

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 19, 2007
      <jeff@...> wrote:
      > Hey Bob -
      > Maybe meditation needs to trickle down from
      > the B schools. Found this from Mark Thornton:
      > "Both the Harvard Business School and Europe's leading business
      school, INSEAD, have
      > concluded, from research, that the two most effective business tools
      for twenty-first
      > century executives are meditation and intuition."
      > Jeff
      > PS: Meditation for Eagles? They made need it
      > after next week's battle with the Brady Bunch.
      Yo Papajeff,
      Business schools getting into meditation!
      What will they think of next?:-) Of course,
      here in Philly the U of P has been doing lots
      of pro-meditation studies in their med school,
      mostly with TM , but also from other traditions.
      As an example, below is one semi-interesting report
      that basically tells us that you get spaced out
      (in a good way) from meditation.
      As far as the Eagles playing the Pats, I fear
      that will be some nasty business.
      Peace and blessings,

      Center for Cognitive Neuroscience
      Neuroethics Publications

      The measurement of regional cerebral blood
      flow during the complex cognitive task of
      meditation: a preliminary SPECT study

      Andrew B. Newberg, University of Pennsylvania
      Abass Alavi, University of Pennsylvania
      Michael J. Baime, University of Pennsylvania
      Michael Pourdehnad, University of Pennsylvania
      Jill Santanna, University of Pennsylvania
      Eugene d'Aquili, University of Pennsylvania

      DOCUMENT TYPE: Journal Article
      This document has been peer reviewed.

      Postprint version. Published in Psychiatry
      Research: Neuroimaging, Volume 106, Issue 2,
      April 2001, pages 113-122.
      Publisher URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0925-4927(01)00074-9

      This study measured changes in regional cerebral
      blood flow (rCBF) during the complex cognitive
      task of meditation using single photon emission
      computed tomography. Eight experienced Tibetan
      Buddhist meditators were injected at baseline
      with 7 mCi HMPAO and scanned 20 min later for
      45 min. The subjects then meditated for 1 h at
      which time they were injected with 25 mCi HMPAO
      and scanned 20 min later for 30 min. Values were
      obtained for regions of interest in major brain
      structures and normalized to whole brain activity.
      The percentage change between meditation and
      baseline was compared. Correlations between structures
      were also determined. Significantly increased rCBF
      (P<0.05) was observed in the cingulate gyrus,
      inferior and orbital frontal cortex, dorsolateral
      prefrontal cortex (DLPFC), and thalamus. The change
      in rCBF in the left DLPFC correlated negatively
      (P<0.05) with that in the left superior parietal
      lobe. Increased frontal rCBF may reflect focused
      concentration and thalamic increases overall increased
      cortical activity during meditation. The correlation
      between the DLPFC and the superior parietal lobe
      may reflect an altered sense of space experienced
      during meditation. These results suggest a complex
      rCBF pattern during the task of meditation.

      KEYWORDS: frontal cortex, thalamus, single photon
      emission computed tomography

      DATE POSTED: 04 April 2007