Harvard and meditation

  • Jeff Belyea
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 19, 2007
      Hey Bob -

      Maybe meditation needs to trickle down from
      the B schools. Found this from Mark Thornton:

      "Both the Harvard Business School and Europe's leading business school, INSEAD, have
      concluded, from research, that the two most effective business tools for twenty-first
      century executives are meditation and intuition."

      Jeff

      PS: Meditation for Eagles? They made need it
      after next week's battle with the Brady Bunch.
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 19, 2007
        <jeff@...> wrote:

        > Hey Bob -
        >
        > Maybe meditation needs to trickle down from
        > the B schools. Found this from Mark Thornton:
        >
        > "Both the Harvard Business School and Europe's leading business
        school, INSEAD, have
        > concluded, from research, that the two most effective business tools
        for twenty-first
        > century executives are meditation and intuition."
        >
        > Jeff
        >
        > PS: Meditation for Eagles? They made need it
        > after next week's battle with the Brady Bunch.

        Yo Papajeff,
        Business schools getting into meditation!
        What will they think of next?:-) Of course,
        here in Philly the U of P has been doing lots
        of pro-meditation studies in their med school,
        mostly with TM , but also from other traditions.
        As an example, below is one semi-interesting report
        that basically tells us that you get spaced out
        (in a good way) from meditation.
        As far as the Eagles playing the Pats, I fear
        that will be some nasty business.

        http://repository.upenn.edu/neuroethics_pubs/25/
        Center for Cognitive Neuroscience
        Neuroethics Publications

        TITLE:
        The measurement of regional cerebral blood
        flow during the complex cognitive task of
        meditation: a preliminary SPECT study

        AUTHOR(S):
        Andrew B. Newberg, University of Pennsylvania
        Abass Alavi, University of Pennsylvania
        Michael J. Baime, University of Pennsylvania
        Michael Pourdehnad, University of Pennsylvania
        Jill Santanna, University of Pennsylvania
        Eugene d'Aquili, University of Pennsylvania

        DOCUMENT TYPE: Journal Article
        This document has been peer reviewed.

        Postprint version. Published in Psychiatry
        Research: Neuroimaging, Volume 106, Issue 2,
        April 2001, pages 113-122.
        Publisher URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0925-4927(01)00074-9

        ABSTRACT:
        This study measured changes in regional cerebral
        blood flow (rCBF) during the complex cognitive
        task of meditation using single photon emission
        computed tomography. Eight experienced Tibetan
        Buddhist meditators were injected at baseline
        with 7 mCi HMPAO and scanned 20 min later for
        45 min. The subjects then meditated for 1 h at
        which time they were injected with 25 mCi HMPAO
        and scanned 20 min later for 30 min. Values were
        obtained for regions of interest in major brain
        structures and normalized to whole brain activity.
        The percentage change between meditation and
        baseline was compared. Correlations between structures
        were also determined. Significantly increased rCBF
        (P<0.05) was observed in the cingulate gyrus,
        inferior and orbital frontal cortex, dorsolateral
        prefrontal cortex (DLPFC), and thalamus. The change
        in rCBF in the left DLPFC correlated negatively
        (P<0.05) with that in the left superior parietal
        lobe. Increased frontal rCBF may reflect focused
        concentration and thalamic increases overall increased
        cortical activity during meditation. The correlation
        between the DLPFC and the superior parietal lobe
        may reflect an altered sense of space experienced
        during meditation. These results suggest a complex
        rCBF pattern during the task of meditation.

        KEYWORDS: frontal cortex, thalamus, single photon
        emission computed tomography

        DATE POSTED: 04 April 2007