Zen and the Art of Knifemaking

    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 9, 2007
      Since I last posted pictures of the
      knives that I had a hand (actually 2
      hands) in making, there have been
      a dozen more that have appeared.
      They can be seen in pictures #84 to 112 at:
      http://tinyurl.com/54ma6
      I have no real idea how they came to be
      a part of this dream that pretends to be
      "my life", but when I look around, they
      seem solidly present. I have really grown
      to appreciate the fine beauty of their
      wood handles and the form they have taken
      in a way that is similar to the way I
      appreciate more traditional art work.
      Prior to taking part in this craft,
      knives were just knives and wood was
      just wood to me. I am now in awe
      of the amazing textures and designs
      that are in the woods and acknowledge
      the artist who created them as a master.
      But as a witness to my inner chatter,
      I see that the potential to criticize
      this great display of divine beauty
      is ever present. And I laugh, fascinated
      by the moronic commentary that would
      interrupt my contact with the gift I
      have been given in my ability to
      appreciate and "get off on" something
      so exquisite. So I tell my chatterer
      to be still and embrace the moment and
      then let it go. And then smile with
      the silence and emptiness that shouts
      with joy as it fills with bliss. Now
      that's some sharp knives!
      Message 2 of 27 , May 6, 2008
        In the photo section, you will find additions
        to the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking folder;
        pictures 40, 41, 42, and 43. They show a
        dagger that has a Damascus steel blade and an
        Ironwood handle. I think you may agree with the
        general feeling among knife makers that Ironwood
        is the most beautiful wood, and Damascus is the
        most beautiful type of steel. They both are
        fine examples of why I think that nature provides
        the most beautiful art works. While witnessing
        the creation of this knife I was aware that what
        needed to be done by my hands and eyes would be
        conflicted if I let my emotions get involved, and
        similarly I saw that mental chattering would be
        distractive and not helpful. Once a method has
        been programmed into our body and brain, it is best
        to just let it happen. I'm always humbled when I
        see the end result and always get further unable
        to deny the reality that all that happens is "Thy
        will be done" in action. And, that if we in our
        arrogance think that we can "do" anything, it is
        very common for the universe to demonstrate how
        naive an attitude that is. For instance, can you
        be 100% sure that you won't fall on your face when
        you get up from reading this? Well, since I've rid
        myself of thinking I can make knives and have
        accepted that I can just be a tool for their coming
        into being, I've fallen on my face much less often
        when taking part in the knifemaking process. And I've
        found that as St Martha says, "That's a good thing".
      • Aideen McKenna
        Message 3 of 27 , May 6, 2008

          Actually, she says “That’s a Good Thing”.  You can hear the capital letters when she says it.

          Aideen

[...]

          Checked by AVG.

          Checked by AVG.

          Message 4 of 27 , May 7, 2008
            "Aideen McKenna" <aideenmck@...> wrote:

            > Actually, she says "That's a Good Thing". You can hear the capital
            letters
            > when she says it.
            >
            > Aideen

            Yo Aideen,
            You're right - when she speaks, it's often in Caps.
            A small coincidence is that when my wife read the
            post she said that she tought all of the "Thy
            will be done" quote should be in caps. I guess
            all these Higher Power types command special attention!
            Knifemaking

            > In the photo section, you will find additions
            > to the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking folder;
            > pictures 40, 41, 42, and 43. They show a
            > dagger that has a Damascus steel blade and an
            > Ironwood handle. I think you may agree with the
            > general feeling among knife makers that Ironwood
            > is the most beautiful wood, and Damascus is the
            > most beautiful type of steel. They both are
            > fine examples of why I think that nature provides
            > the most beautiful art works. While witnessing
            > the creation of this knife I was aware that what
            > needed to be done by my hands and eyes would be
            > conflicted if I let my emotions get involved, and
            > similarly I saw that mental chattering would be
            > distractive and not helpful. Once a method has
            > been programmed into our body and brain, it is best
            > to just let it happen. I'm always humbled when I
            > see the end result and always get further unable
            > to deny the reality that all that happens is "Thy
            > will be done" in action. And, that if we in our
            > arrogance think that we can "do" anything, it is
            > very common for the universe to demonstrate how
            > naive an attitude that is. For instance, can you
            > be 100% sure that you won't fall on your face when
            > you get up from reading this? Well, since I've rid
            > myself of thinking I can make knives and have
            > accepted that I can just be a tool for their coming
            > into being, I've fallen on my face much less often
            > when taking part in the knifemaking process. And I've
            > found that as St Martha says, "That's a good thing".
            > Peace and blessings,
            > Bob

            > Checked by AVG.
            5/06/08
            > 5:17 PM

            > Checked by AVG.
            5/06/08

            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 11, 2008
              In the photo section, in the folder "Zen
              and the Art of Knifemaking", you will
              find a new knife that features Mammoth
              tooth handles. As I was witnessing the
              assembly of this knife taking place,
              there was a unique feeling of an ancient
              connection present. The obviousness of
              handling a 30,000 year old object and
              being extra careful to not mess it up
              also brought about a special awareness
              that is hard to label, but can perhaps be
              represented by saying that the usual "just
              witnessing and letting flow whatever may flow"
              attitude had an extra effortless effort
              energy added to it. I just saw an episode
              of "American Dad" last night where the Dad
              had souped up his car so he could drag
              race with it (to impress his wife), and at one
              point he hit a switch that ignited a nitro burst
              that made the car blast off extra quickly.
              And that's sort of how I felt during this
              particular knife making session. It really
              seemed to touch the semi-eternal nature of
              Mother Earth. I can't wait to see what using
              meteorite will feel like!
              The pics are # 45 and 46. And to see many
              more Zen and the Art of Knifemaking blades:
              http://www.bobroseknives.com
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 25, 2009
                Once again I'll be displaying my knives,
                and like what seems like just very few knife
                makers do, talking about meditation. The show
                is in Easton PA and will be held Sat and
                Sun from 9 to 5. I expect to only be there
                for Sat as there is an Eagles game Sunday and
                I expect to be back home for it. After all,
                I do try not to miss religious events, and
                sometimes there are only 16 of them a year.

                After the show we'll probably be going out to dinner
                with several friends, so if you'll be in the area
                please stop in and say "High!" and maybe join the
                probably somewhat transcendental fun.

                PS: You can see the knives at:
                http://www.bobroseknives.com
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 26, 2009

                  > Once again I'll be displaying my knives,
                  > and like what seems like just very few knife
                  > makers do, talking about meditation. The show
                  > is in Easton PA and will be held Sat and
                  > Sun from 9 to 5. I expect to only be there
                  > for Sat as there is an Eagles game Sunday and
                  > I expect to be back home for it. After all,
                  > I do try not to miss religious events, and
                  > sometimes there are only 16 of them a year.
                  >
                  > After the show we'll probably be going out to dinner
                  > with several friends, so if you'll be in the area
                  > please stop in and say "High!" and maybe join the
                  > probably somewhat transcendental fun.
                  >
                  > Peace and blessings,
                  > Bob
                  > PS: You can see the knives at:
                  > http://www.bobroseknives.com

                  Well, we just got back from the show and it
                  was very pleasant, fun and interesting. Nice
                  people, good conversation, lots of amazing
                  knives by some of the most talented makers
                  in the world. As is available in every moment,
                  lots of new in-sights and out-sights. I also
                  was pretty surprised to find right around the
                  corner quite a coincidence. There was the Belyea
                  Electric Supply Company, and just as Papajeff
                  deals with Transformation, they specialize
                  in Transformers. Yes, this incarnation is always
                  at least semi-interesting!
                  Peace and blesings,
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 20, 2009
                    The 2 latest knives that have appeared have
                    very ancient handle materials. One is from
                    mammoth tooth and is between 15,000 and
                    30,000 years old. The other is fossil coral
                    and is between 1.8 million and 230 million
                    years old.
                    As I worked with them,their antiquity radiated as
                    a sensation beyond just their appearance. Just as
                    when you enter a church or are at a holy place,
                    or in the company of a holy being, saint or
                    newborn, there was a feeling that was far from
                    the same old same old. I felt a connection to the
                    Earth and a unity with all life that has been and
                    is and will be her life's work. Humility and reverence
                    are the closest adjectives to describe the mood
                    that flew through, and still remains. And now the
                    beauty that for some reason was hidden within their
                    environments is now visible and to me is a
                    demonstration of the gifts of love from a sentient
                    universe that are available within and without.
                    I consider it a blessing to be able to spend moments
                    in the company of such simple yet so fantastic
                    creations.
                    PS: I am posting pictures of them in the Photo section
                    in the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking album.
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 9, 2011
                      This weekend I'll be displaying my knives
                      http://www.bobroseknives.com
                      at the Harrisburg PA Gun Show.
                      If you feel like sharing meditation concepts,
                      methods and experiences, I'll be glad to
                      spend time with you. This show is really unique
                      even for weapon-addicts. It's the only place I
                      know of where they not only sell weapons and
                      ammo, but where you can also buy and drink beer.
                      Talk about non-conduscive to meditation venues!
                      But in reality, it's a perfect place to put into
                      practice your non-distractability, keeping
                      calm in all situations, and awareness to the test.
                      So stop by and say hello. These days, it's actually
                      a safer environment than some college campuses, and
                      we may even find it to be a good opportunity to
                      evolve in consciousness.

                      Visitor Information
                      LOCATION
                      The show will be held in the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex & Expo Center, North Cameron and Maclay Streets, Harrisburg, PA.

                      DIRECTIONS

                      TRAVELING WEST ON THE PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE:
                      Take Exit 247. Travel north on PA-283, which merges with I-83. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                      TRAVELING EAST ON PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE:
                      Take Exit 236. Travel north on Route 15 to 581 West. Travel west on 581 and merge onto I-81 North. Follow I-81 North across the Susquehanna River, and then take Exit 67 for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                      FROM THE HARRISBURG INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT:
                      Head north on 441 to 283 North. Travel north on PA-283, which merges with I-83. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                      FROM THE WEST SHORE/CARLISLE:
                      Take I-81 North to Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                      FROM DOWNTOWN HARRISBURG:
                      Take Second Street north to the 2100 block and turn right onto Maclay Street. Follow Maclay Street east across the railroad bridge to the traffic light at the Farm Show Building. Turn left onto Cameron Street and travel north. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                      FROM THE NORTH:
                      Take 11/15 South following the Susquehanna River to I-81. Follow I-81 North across the river and take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                      FROM THE UPPER DAUPHIN AREA:
                      Take Route 147 South or Route 225 South to Route 322 (River Relief Route). Route 322 becomes Cameron Street after crossing over I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                      FROM HERSHEY:
                      Take Route 322 West to I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                      FROM LANCASTER:
                      Take 283 North towards Harrisburg to I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                      FROM YORK:
                      Take I-83 North across the Susquehanna River. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                      FROM LEBANON:
                      Take I-81 South towards Harrisburg. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                      FROM PROGRESS AVE EXIT OFF 81N:
                      Take Exit 69. Merge right with Progress Avenue Traffic. Turn right onto Elmerton Avenue at traffic light. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                      FROM PROGRESS AVE EXIT OFF 81S:
                      Take Exit 69. Turn right at traffic light onto Progress Avenue. At second traffic light turn right onto Elmerton Avenue. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 4, 2012
                        Once again, I'll be displaying my knives at a gun
                        show this weekend. It's at the Philly Convention Center
                        in Oaks PA. Here's the URL for info.
                        http://www.eaglearms.com/Eaglearmsproductionfullpage.html
                        The last show we were at was one of the "highest" ones we've
                        attended. We had the pleasure of sharing meditation concepts
                        and techniques with several of our members who were there,
                        and it was a very nice experiential demo of transcending
                        what would normally be a semi-insane environment. Fun too!

                        One of the surprises was when we got to interact with a
                        great 11 year old kid who's father is one of the real
                        masters of martial arts. This guy is so tough he wears
                        a kilt to a gun show and nobody would dream of making fun
                        of him. And yet he has a wisdom and righteousness that is
                        all too rare. Glad to say that his son seems to be going
                        right along the same path.

                        Anyway, if you're in the area, please stop by and say hello.
                        If you'd like to see some of the newest knives I've made,
                        and that will be on display, they're at the bottom of the
                        web page here: http://www.bobroseknives.com

                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 7, 2012
                          I'll be displaying my knives this Sat and Sun at
                          the gun show at the Harrisburg PA Farm Show Complex and
                          Expo Center 2300 North Cameron Street Harrisburg, PA 17110
                          I've enjoyed meeting and sharing time and experiences
                          with several of our members there in past shows and
                          look forward to that doing this again. Semi-interesting
                          venue - 800 tables of weapons and ammo... and they
                          serve beer!?!?!?
                          Relative to knife-making, I've been using amazing new materials
                          for the handles on my most recent knives and wonder at
                          the beauty of these man-made high-tech products.
                          They're so nice that one may not even notice the
                          hardly expert level my knife skills demonstrate. It's
                          kind of analogous to how having a loving personality can
                          make you attractive even if visually you're no Brad
                          or Angelina. These knives can be seen at the bottom of
                          my knife site at: http://www.bobroseknives.com
                          Anyway, if you do come, please don't wear some other
                          teams shirts than the Eagles. You know that this could
                          become a distraction from sharing meditation concepts
                          and methods as I might go off on rants about football:)
                          Hope to see you soon!
                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 9, 2012
                            OK, by semi-popular request, here's a brief report of the
                            gun show. One of the most interesting things was that a forum
                            member and a friend of his have started to make knives
                            and seemingly are walking a similar path as I am relative
                            to finding it at times to precede interesting, pleasant, and
                            unusually informative meditative experiences...
                            IE: They report entering a focus of attention so intense and
                            yet so effortless that a shift in consciousness takes place
                            that they sort of defined as a transcendent level of non-dual
                            attention where one's individual identity melts away and
                            a new awakening reveals an infinite unification with what
                            Gurdjieff labeled "All and Everything". In any event, they
                            still have all their fingers and other body parts, and that
                            itself is a great result of clear meditative focus while
                            using very powerful and potentially dangerous power tools.
                            BTW, as a bonus, their knives looked very good and
                            should prove highly functional. And just like me they report
                            being surprised at having nice knives in their hands appear
                            almost magically when the sparks, smoke, smells, sounds and
                            heat subside.
                            Anyway, thanks to those who came out and shared their
                            wisdom and humor. Much appreciated!

                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 14, 2012
                              Once again, I'll be displaying my knives and sharing
                              meditation concepts and techniques (the usual combination
                              for a meditation teacher:) at the Philly Gun Show in Oaks PA
                              this weekend, Friday Dec 14 from 4PM to 8PM, Sat 9AM to 5PM, and
                              Sun 9AM to 4PM. Here's where you can get info and a discount coupon:
                              http://www.eaglearmsgunshows.com/oaks-gun-show-philadelphia-expo-center.html
                              There will be about 1,000 tables full of weapons, ammo, and just
                              about anything you can think of that brings about violence and
                              destruction, as well as thousands of people who are anxious to buy
                              these items. And there will also be my table where consciousness
                              evolving methods will be shared (as well as complaining about the
                              Eagles). Many of the knives I have made will be available and with
                              the holidays coming, I expect lots of activity that interrupts our
                              "high" conversations. But this is all part of what life is about...
                              and maintaining a meditative mode in active as well as in passive situations is what a meditative practice should include. And when
                              someone approaches you carrying a machine gun, and has ammo around
                              their neck, to discus how best to use a certain knife, or whatever else is making their mind chatter, it's certainly an excellent opportunity to witness your own chatter, and to apply Self
                              control and maintain your serenity, or to see just when and
                              how you lose it (which might be a more valuable benefit).
                              So it is actually an excellent environment for learning about and experiencing meditation in real life. Hope to see you there!
                              BTW, here's where you can see my knives:
                              http://www.bobroseknives.com
                              Message 14 of 27 , Dec 16, 2012
                                Well, this weekend I spent displaying knives I've made at
                                the Philly Gun Show. 1200 tables full of weapons and their
                                accoutrements and thousands of people there to buy them.
                                Much discussion about the duality of "guns don't kill people,
                                people do" and "if there weren't guns available, there wouldn't
                                be so many killings" Of course there were local TV crews there filming the goings on and promising to be "fair" in their
                                reporting as they focused the cameras on assault rifles and
                                other semi and full automatic weapons. This will be just a
                                small part of the ongoing and now top news discussion.

                                In between actually selling some knives, I spent time
                                discussing meditation with people and even conducted some
                                mindfulness exercises semi-maintaining a Witnessing
                                perspective on whatever was flowing by moment to (what seemed
                                like) another moment. And as is common when in a wordless
                                meditative mode, words appear that (right or wrong) point to
                                "an answer", and here are some that flowed by...

                                I'm guessing that just as there are hundreds of millions of
                                words available to us, and they don't seem to solve anything,
                                there being hundreds of millions of guns and rifles right now
                                in the USA, and they aren't solving anything either, maybe
                                just being conscious is the only real "problem solver".
                                As Gurdjieff put it...
                                "Do not be affected by externals. In themselves they are
                                harmless; it is we who allow ourselves to be hurt by them."

                                (the above is a para-phrase of a post on the Gene's Gulag
                                forum)