Re: [Meditation Society of America] Living in the Now

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 26, 2007
      sean tremblay <bethjams9@...> wrote:

      > Are you saying the perception of now is relative to what it is
      compared to. like a reference point on the shore line to a boat
      passing down stream?

      Yo Sean and all,
      This reminded me of this technique on our
      website (Meditation Station)
      http://www.meditationsociety.com
      As you'll see, it deals with the boat ride of life.
      And one "How-to" for bing here, now.
      I hope it is beneficial and enjoyable.
      Peace and blessings.
      Transcending Karma
      Once upon a time, long, long ago, there were 2 holy
      men traveling together through the countryside.
      They came upon a beautiful young woman sitting and
      sobbing by the side of a stream. She said she was
      afraid of drowning and asked them if they would help
      her cross to the other side of the water. Without
      saying a word, one of the monks picked up the girl
      and carried her to the other side of the stream where
      he gently put her down. She thanked him and went on
      her way. The two men then continued their journey.
      After a while, the monk said to the one who had carried
      the young woman, "How could you do such a thing? We
      have taken vows of chastity. It is forbidden to even
      talk to a woman let alone touch one." The other monk
      lovingly replied, "When I came to the other side of
      the stream, I put her down. Why are you still carrying her?"

      What have you been carrying around that you should have
      put down and left behind? Do you still harbor feelings
      of regret, anger, hate, disappointment, or any other
      negative adjectives or adverbs that apply, for events,
      people, or things that are not here, now? Why do you do
      this masochistic activity?

      Life can be equated with a boat ride taking you from
      one shore to another. As the boat goes across the water,
      it leaves a wake in its path. This wake represents your
      past. And just like the wake a boat leaves behind doesn't
      propel the boat forward at all, your past doesn't drive
      you towards the other shore. What's done is done if you
      will be done with it. If you don't face the front of the
      boat and place your attention in the present moment, you
      will not be able to avoid running into the icebergs and
      other potential hazards that could jeopardize your trip
      through life. Your karma is fulfilled and up to date at
      all times. Your clinging to the past and fantasizing about
      the future is what keeps you paying a karmic debt. Simply
      attend to this moment and witness the path your boat is
      traveling. This is action free of reaction and further karma.

      Relax. Melt into your most comfortable meditative posture.
      Focus on your breath and feel and witness its entry,
      retention, and leaving. Let your body establish a comfortable
      rhythm. Visualize your great grandparents in your mind's
      eye. See them be born, have events take place in their
      lives and eventually give birth to your grandparents.
      Visualize your grandparents be born, see them have events
      take place in their lives and eventually give birth to your
      parents. Visualize your parents being born and see them
      go through the events in their lives that eventually included
      giving birth to you.

      As clearly as possible, without reacting physically,
      emotionally, or mentally, allow the movie of the events
      of your life to unfold on the inner screen of your mind's
      eye. Witness the events as unattached as the monk was who
      carried the woman over the stream. And just like him,
      leave your attachments to all the events that have resulted
      in your being here, now. Know that you are now in the boat
      ride of your life and that to look back is to reattach to
      your ancestors and your own karma and all the suffering that
      clings to it. Look ahead free of karma, enjoy the ride,
      and live happily ever after.
    • jvmarco
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 26, 2007
        V:
        The perceived now is relative. The perceived now is that which is
        filtered through the physical senses alone (the skandhas). There are
        higher senses, or metasensory levels realized through transcendence
        that we all have access to. Transcendence is not beyond our ability.

        Even Maslow touched on transcendence in his heirarchy therory, yet
        only understood after self-actualization.

        Here's an interesting quote:

        "Transcendence has been discounted by secular psychologists because
        they feel it belongs to the domain of religious belief. But Maslow
        himself believed that science and religion were both too narrowly
        conceived, too dichotomized, and too separated from each other. Non-
        peakers, as he would call them, characteristically think in logical,
        rational terms and look down on extreme spirituality as "insanity"
        (p. 22) because it entails a loss of control and deviation from what
        is socially acceptable. They may even try to avoid such experiences
        because they are not materially productive¬óthey "earn no money, bake
        no bread, and chop no wood" (p. 23). Other non-peakers have the
        problem of immaturity in spiritual matters, and hence tend to view
        holy rituals and events in their most crude, external form, not
        appreciating them for any underlying spiritual implications. Maslow
        despised such people because they form a sort of idolatry that
        hinders religions (p. 24). This creates a divide in every religion
        and social institution. (Maslow. "The 'Core-Religious'
        or 'Transcendent,' Experience.")"

        You mention shore line...the following (five paragraphs) is from my
        book Exploring Freethought Magick:

        To understand life context, the analogy of Spanish ships in the New
        World is helpful. Supposedly, when the Conquistadors arrived and
        greeted a tribe of natives on the beach from their longboats, the
        chief asked, "Where did you people come from?" The Spanish replied
        that they arrived in those large ships about a hundred meters off
        shore. The natives could not see these ships, for they did not
        understand how to relate to the idea of ship. After much discussion,
        a few began to see the ships because of the odd ripples on the water,
        and then the whole tribe saw them.

        Some people may snicker at that story, saying, "Oh, those natives
        must have been blind." In that case, let me ask this: How many
        colors were in the rainbow during biblical times? Seven? No, they
        may have only seen one, but surely not more than three.

        In Daybreak, Friedrich Nietzsche comments, "How different nature must
        have appeared to the Greeks if, as we have to admit, their eyes were
        blind to blue and green." Just because you see seven colors, you
        should not assume that our ancestors saw seven. Assumptions and
        beliefs are the delusions of the phenomenal mind.

        In the Iliad, Homer describes the rainbow as having just one color.
        However, Xenophanes, the teacher of Parmenides, saw three colors in
        the phenomenon of a rainbow: purple, red, and a yellow-green. Later,
        in the meteorological treatise Meteorologica, written circa 340 BCE,
        Aristotle concurred: "The rainbow has three colors."

        Not until the Renaissance did Westerners begin to see seven colors in
        the rainbow. However, that does not mean that there are seven colors
        in the rainbow. There is compelling evidence that there are actually
        nine colors in the rainbow. You're missing two colors, like the New
        World natives were missing those Spanish ships. Charles F. Haanel
        said, "The mind cannot comprehend an entirely new idea until a
        corresponding vibratory brain cell has been prepared to receive it."

        :)

        <bethjams9@...> wrote:

        > Are you saying the perception of now is relative to what it is
        compared to. like a reference point on the shore line to a boat
        passing down stream?

        > jvmarco <jvmarco@...> wrote: Many express the notion
        of "living in the now" however, few actually