RE: [Meditation Society of America] Living in the Now

  • Aideen McKenna
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 25, 2007

      Right on.  I’m thinking about what we do on the way to that WHO/WHEN realization (maybe).  We meditate – that helps us to refrain from mentally rehashing our personal story & keeping alive old angers & resentments & regrets - &/or living in the future, whether in dread or anticipation.  I think one must develop the habit of constantly bringing oneself back to the present, which is all there is.

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 25, 2007
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Aideen McKenna"
        <aideenmck@...> wrote:

        > Right on. I'm thinking about what we do on the way to that WHO/WHEN
        > realization (maybe). We meditate – that helps us to refrain from
        mentally
        > rehashing our personal story & keeping alive old angers &
        resentments &
        > regrets - &/or living in the future, whether in dread or
        anticipation. I
        > think one must develop the habit of constantly bringing oneself
        back to the
        > present, which is all there is.

        V:
        There maybe as many techniques meditating as there are sentient
        beings. For me, my "habit", I use a touch and go method. I don't
        scold thoughts that come up (thinking is always in the past), but
        softly touch them with the intent that touching them lets them go (at
        least during the meditation). Kind of like bumper cars. If a thought
        bumps you, allow the touch, and continue with the meditation.

        Of course this leads to meditation 24/7. Not sitting crossed-legged
        on a mountain, but a meditation that is engaged in life. When
        struggle comes up, we softly touch it,...it is not us. The we that
        we really are, is not struggle. Struggle comes from
        thinking,...thinking is in the past. Thinking comes from
        memory,...memory is in the past. Memory is part of the ego
        complex,...the ego complex is in the past.

        Struggle is part of the false self,...the self that lives in the
        past. Which is not to say you won't experience pain, although pain
        is also in the past.

        :)

        _____

        10/25/07
        > 1:14 PM

        > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        10/25/07
        > 1:14 PM

      • Aideen McKenna
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 25, 2007

          Yes.  Meditation does become 24/7.  I think it has to.  The touch & go method works for me too.  I like your bumper car analogy.

          As for pain (physical), I was suffering pain while formally meditating & now I don’t – I don’t know when that stopped, although I’d have thought I’d have marked its passing with hallelujahs & a glass of wine… it may well recur, of course.

          > Right on. I'm thinking about what we do on the way to that WHO/WHEN
          > realization (maybe). We meditate – that helps us to refrain from
          mentally
          > rehashing our personal story & keeping alive old angers &
          resentments &
          > regrets - &/or living in the future, whether in dread or
          anticipation. I
          > think one must develop the habit of constantly bringing oneself
          back to the
          > present, which is all there is.

          V:
          There maybe as many techniques meditating as there are sentient
          beings. For me, my "habit", I use a touch and go method. I don't
          scold thoughts that come up (thinking is always in the past), but
          softly touch them with the intent that touching them lets them go (at
          least during the meditation). Kind of like bumper cars. If a thought
          bumps you, allow the touch, and continue with the meditation.

          Of course this leads to meditation 24/7. Not sitting crossed-legged
          on a mountain, but a meditation that is engaged in life. When
          struggle comes up, we softly touch it,...it is not us. The we that
          we really are, is not struggle. Struggle comes from
          thinking,... thinking is in the past. Thinking comes from
          memory,...memory is in the past. Memory is part of the ego
          complex,...the ego complex is in the past.

          Struggle is part of the false self,...the self that lives in the
          past. Which is not to say you won't experience pain, although pain
          is also in the past.

          :)

          _____

          > From: meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com
          w:st="on">America ] Living in the Now

          > Many express the notion of "living in the now" however, few
          actually
          > comprehend what that is.
          >
          > The "now" is the WHEN. I often say that we cannot (Never/Ever)
          > realize WHO we are until we understand WHEN we are.
          >
          > Most think that "now" implies te perceived present. The truth is
          > that the perceived present is not the "now."
          >
          > Meditation is a pathway to "now." Meditation can lead to the
          letting
          > go of the attachment to perception. Only then can you understand
          > the "now" and WHEN you are.
          >
          > Keep this simple, irrefutable truth on your refrigerator, -...There
          is
          > no Present in Time.
          >
          > The present, or the "now" is beyond time and perception. Sort of
          > spooky idea for ego, and the you that you think you are. But there
          > is another self (like the small figure depicted above many
          renditions
          > of the mediating Buddha), that Self is only realized through the
          > understanding of WHEN.

          > :)

          > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          10/25/07
          > 1:14 PM

          > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          10/25/07
          > 1:14 PM

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.

        • sean tremblay
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 25, 2007
            Are you saying the perception of now is relative to what it is compared to.  like a reference point on the shore line to a boat passing down stream?

            http://mail.yahoo.com

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 26, 2007
              sean tremblay <bethjams9@...> wrote:

              > Are you saying the perception of now is relative to what it is
              compared to. like a reference point on the shore line to a boat
              passing down stream?

              Yo Sean and all,
              This reminded me of this technique on our
              website (Meditation Station)
              http://www.meditationsociety.com
              As you'll see, it deals with the boat ride of life.
              And one "How-to" for bing here, now.
              I hope it is beneficial and enjoyable.
              Peace and blessings.
              Transcending Karma
              Once upon a time, long, long ago, there were 2 holy
              men traveling together through the countryside.
              They came upon a beautiful young woman sitting and
              sobbing by the side of a stream. She said she was
              afraid of drowning and asked them if they would help
              her cross to the other side of the water. Without
              saying a word, one of the monks picked up the girl
              and carried her to the other side of the stream where
              he gently put her down. She thanked him and went on
              her way. The two men then continued their journey.
              After a while, the monk said to the one who had carried
              the young woman, "How could you do such a thing? We
              have taken vows of chastity. It is forbidden to even
              talk to a woman let alone touch one." The other monk
              lovingly replied, "When I came to the other side of
              the stream, I put her down. Why are you still carrying her?"

              What have you been carrying around that you should have
              put down and left behind? Do you still harbor feelings
              of regret, anger, hate, disappointment, or any other
              negative adjectives or adverbs that apply, for events,
              people, or things that are not here, now? Why do you do
              this masochistic activity?

              Life can be equated with a boat ride taking you from
              one shore to another. As the boat goes across the water,
              it leaves a wake in its path. This wake represents your
              past. And just like the wake a boat leaves behind doesn't
              propel the boat forward at all, your past doesn't drive
              you towards the other shore. What's done is done if you
              will be done with it. If you don't face the front of the
              boat and place your attention in the present moment, you
              will not be able to avoid running into the icebergs and
              other potential hazards that could jeopardize your trip
              through life. Your karma is fulfilled and up to date at
              all times. Your clinging to the past and fantasizing about
              the future is what keeps you paying a karmic debt. Simply
              attend to this moment and witness the path your boat is
              traveling. This is action free of reaction and further karma.

              Relax. Melt into your most comfortable meditative posture.
              Focus on your breath and feel and witness its entry,
              retention, and leaving. Let your body establish a comfortable
              rhythm. Visualize your great grandparents in your mind's
              eye. See them be born, have events take place in their
              lives and eventually give birth to your grandparents.
              Visualize your grandparents be born, see them have events
              take place in their lives and eventually give birth to your
              parents. Visualize your parents being born and see them
              go through the events in their lives that eventually included
              giving birth to you.

              As clearly as possible, without reacting physically,
              emotionally, or mentally, allow the movie of the events
              of your life to unfold on the inner screen of your mind's
              eye. Witness the events as unattached as the monk was who
              carried the woman over the stream. And just like him,
              leave your attachments to all the events that have resulted
              in your being here, now. Know that you are now in the boat
              ride of your life and that to look back is to reattach to
              your ancestors and your own karma and all the suffering that
              clings to it. Look ahead free of karma, enjoy the ride,
              and live happily ever after.
            • jvmarco
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 26, 2007
                V:
                The perceived now is relative. The perceived now is that which is
                filtered through the physical senses alone (the skandhas). There are
                higher senses, or metasensory levels realized through transcendence
                that we all have access to. Transcendence is not beyond our ability.

                Even Maslow touched on transcendence in his heirarchy therory, yet
                only understood after self-actualization.

                Here's an interesting quote:

                "Transcendence has been discounted by secular psychologists because
                they feel it belongs to the domain of religious belief. But Maslow
                himself believed that science and religion were both too narrowly
                conceived, too dichotomized, and too separated from each other. Non-
                peakers, as he would call them, characteristically think in logical,
                rational terms and look down on extreme spirituality as "insanity"
                (p. 22) because it entails a loss of control and deviation from what
                is socially acceptable. They may even try to avoid such experiences
                because they are not materially productive—they "earn no money, bake
                no bread, and chop no wood" (p. 23). Other non-peakers have the
                problem of immaturity in spiritual matters, and hence tend to view
                holy rituals and events in their most crude, external form, not
                appreciating them for any underlying spiritual implications. Maslow
                despised such people because they form a sort of idolatry that
                hinders religions (p. 24). This creates a divide in every religion
                and social institution. (Maslow. "The 'Core-Religious'
                or 'Transcendent,' Experience.")"

                You mention shore line...the following (five paragraphs) is from my
                book Exploring Freethought Magick:

                To understand life context, the analogy of Spanish ships in the New
                World is helpful. Supposedly, when the Conquistadors arrived and
                greeted a tribe of natives on the beach from their longboats, the
                chief asked, "Where did you people come from?" The Spanish replied
                that they arrived in those large ships about a hundred meters off
                shore. The natives could not see these ships, for they did not
                understand how to relate to the idea of ship. After much discussion,
                a few began to see the ships because of the odd ripples on the water,
                and then the whole tribe saw them.

                Some people may snicker at that story, saying, "Oh, those natives
                must have been blind." In that case, let me ask this: How many
                colors were in the rainbow during biblical times? Seven? No, they
                may have only seen one, but surely not more than three.

                In Daybreak, Friedrich Nietzsche comments, "How different nature must
                have appeared to the Greeks if, as we have to admit, their eyes were
                blind to blue and green." Just because you see seven colors, you
                should not assume that our ancestors saw seven. Assumptions and
                beliefs are the delusions of the phenomenal mind.

                In the Iliad, Homer describes the rainbow as having just one color.
                However, Xenophanes, the teacher of Parmenides, saw three colors in
                the phenomenon of a rainbow: purple, red, and a yellow-green. Later,
                in the meteorological treatise Meteorologica, written circa 340 BCE,
                Aristotle concurred: "The rainbow has three colors."

                Not until the Renaissance did Westerners begin to see seven colors in
                the rainbow. However, that does not mean that there are seven colors
                in the rainbow. There is compelling evidence that there are actually
                nine colors in the rainbow. You're missing two colors, like the New
                World natives were missing those Spanish ships. Charles F. Haanel
                said, "The mind cannot comprehend an entirely new idea until a
                corresponding vibratory brain cell has been prepared to receive it."

                :)