Living in the Now

  • jvmarco
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 25, 2007
      Many express the notion of "living in the now" however, few actually
      comprehend what that is.

      The "now" is the WHEN. I often say that we cannot (Never/Ever)
      realize WHO we are until we understand WHEN we are.

      Most think that "now" implies te perceived present. The truth is
      that the perceived present is not the "now."

      Meditation is a pathway to "now." Meditation can lead to the letting
      go of the attachment to perception. Only then can you understand
      the "now" and WHEN you are.

      Keep this simple, irrefutable truth on your refrigerator,...There is
      no Present in Time.

      The present, or the "now" is beyond time and perception. Sort of a
      spooky idea for ego, and the you that you think you are. But there
      is another self (like the small figure depicted above many renditions
      of the mediating Buddha), that Self is only realized through the
      understanding of WHEN.

      :)
    • Aideen McKenna
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 25, 2007

        Right on.  I’m thinking about what we do on the way to that WHO/WHEN realization (maybe).  We meditate – that helps us to refrain from mentally rehashing our personal story & keeping alive old angers & resentments & regrets - &/or living in the future, whether in dread or anticipation.  I think one must develop the habit of constantly bringing oneself back to the present, which is all there is.

[...]

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

      • jvmarco
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 25, 2007
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Aideen McKenna"
          <aideenmck@...> wrote:

          > Right on. I'm thinking about what we do on the way to that WHO/WHEN
          > realization (maybe). We meditate – that helps us to refrain from
          mentally
          > rehashing our personal story & keeping alive old angers &
          resentments &
          > regrets - &/or living in the future, whether in dread or
          anticipation. I
          > think one must develop the habit of constantly bringing oneself
          back to the
          > present, which is all there is.

          V:
          There maybe as many techniques meditating as there are sentient
          beings. For me, my "habit", I use a touch and go method. I don't
          scold thoughts that come up (thinking is always in the past), but
          softly touch them with the intent that touching them lets them go (at
          least during the meditation). Kind of like bumper cars. If a thought
          bumps you, allow the touch, and continue with the meditation.

          Of course this leads to meditation 24/7. Not sitting crossed-legged
          on a mountain, but a meditation that is engaged in life. When
          struggle comes up, we softly touch it,...it is not us. The we that
          we really are, is not struggle. Struggle comes from
          thinking,...thinking is in the past. Thinking comes from
          memory,...memory is in the past. Memory is part of the ego
          complex,...the ego complex is in the past.

          Struggle is part of the false self,...the self that lives in the
          past. Which is not to say you won't experience pain, although pain
          is also in the past.

          :)

          _____

          10/25/07
          > 1:14 PM

          > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          10/25/07
          > 1:14 PM

        • Aideen McKenna
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 25, 2007

            Yes.  Meditation does become 24/7.  I think it has to.  The touch & go method works for me too.  I like your bumper car analogy.

            As for pain (physical), I was suffering pain while formally meditating & now I don’t – I don’t know when that stopped, although I’d have thought I’d have marked its passing with hallelujahs & a glass of wine… it may well recur, of course.

            > Right on. I'm thinking about what we do on the way to that WHO/WHEN
            > realization (maybe). We meditate – that helps us to refrain from
            mentally
            > rehashing our personal story & keeping alive old angers &
            resentments &
            > regrets - &/or living in the future, whether in dread or
            anticipation. I
            > think one must develop the habit of constantly bringing oneself
            back to the
            > present, which is all there is.

            V:
            There maybe as many techniques meditating as there are sentient
            beings. For me, my "habit", I use a touch and go method. I don't
            scold thoughts that come up (thinking is always in the past), but
            softly touch them with the intent that touching them lets them go (at
            least during the meditation). Kind of like bumper cars. If a thought
            bumps you, allow the touch, and continue with the meditation.

            Of course this leads to meditation 24/7. Not sitting crossed-legged
            on a mountain, but a meditation that is engaged in life. When
            struggle comes up, we softly touch it,...it is not us. The we that
            we really are, is not struggle. Struggle comes from
            thinking,... thinking is in the past. Thinking comes from
            memory,...memory is in the past. Memory is part of the ego
            complex,...the ego complex is in the past.

            Struggle is part of the false self,...the self that lives in the
            past. Which is not to say you won't experience pain, although pain
            is also in the past.

            :)

            _____

            > From: meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com
            w:st="on">America ] Living in the Now

            > Many express the notion of "living in the now" however, few
            actually
            > comprehend what that is.
            >
            > The "now" is the WHEN. I often say that we cannot (Never/Ever)
            > realize WHO we are until we understand WHEN we are.
            >
            > Most think that "now" implies te perceived present. The truth is
            > that the perceived present is not the "now."
            >
            > Meditation is a pathway to "now." Meditation can lead to the
            letting
            > go of the attachment to perception. Only then can you understand
            > the "now" and WHEN you are.
            >
            > Keep this simple, irrefutable truth on your refrigerator, -...There
            is
            > no Present in Time.
            >
            > The present, or the "now" is beyond time and perception. Sort of
            > spooky idea for ego, and the you that you think you are. But there
            > is another self (like the small figure depicted above many
            renditions
            > of the mediating Buddha), that Self is only realized through the
            > understanding of WHEN.

            > :)

            > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            10/25/07
            > 1:14 PM

            > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            10/25/07
            > 1:14 PM

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.

          • sean tremblay
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 25, 2007
              Are you saying the perception of now is relative to what it is compared to.  like a reference point on the shore line to a boat passing down stream?

              http://mail.yahoo.com

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 26, 2007
                sean tremblay <bethjams9@...> wrote:

                > Are you saying the perception of now is relative to what it is
                compared to. like a reference point on the shore line to a boat
                passing down stream?

                Yo Sean and all,
                This reminded me of this technique on our
                website (Meditation Station)
                http://www.meditationsociety.com
                As you'll see, it deals with the boat ride of life.
                And one "How-to" for bing here, now.
                I hope it is beneficial and enjoyable.
                Peace and blessings.
                Transcending Karma
                Once upon a time, long, long ago, there were 2 holy
                men traveling together through the countryside.
                They came upon a beautiful young woman sitting and
                sobbing by the side of a stream. She said she was
                afraid of drowning and asked them if they would help
                her cross to the other side of the water. Without
                saying a word, one of the monks picked up the girl
                and carried her to the other side of the stream where
                he gently put her down. She thanked him and went on
                her way. The two men then continued their journey.
                After a while, the monk said to the one who had carried
                the young woman, "How could you do such a thing? We
                have taken vows of chastity. It is forbidden to even
                talk to a woman let alone touch one." The other monk
                lovingly replied, "When I came to the other side of
                the stream, I put her down. Why are you still carrying her?"

                What have you been carrying around that you should have
                put down and left behind? Do you still harbor feelings
                of regret, anger, hate, disappointment, or any other
                negative adjectives or adverbs that apply, for events,
                people, or things that are not here, now? Why do you do
                this masochistic activity?

                Life can be equated with a boat ride taking you from
                one shore to another. As the boat goes across the water,
                it leaves a wake in its path. This wake represents your
                past. And just like the wake a boat leaves behind doesn't
                propel the boat forward at all, your past doesn't drive
                you towards the other shore. What's done is done if you
                will be done with it. If you don't face the front of the
                boat and place your attention in the present moment, you
                will not be able to avoid running into the icebergs and
                other potential hazards that could jeopardize your trip
                through life. Your karma is fulfilled and up to date at
                all times. Your clinging to the past and fantasizing about
                the future is what keeps you paying a karmic debt. Simply
                attend to this moment and witness the path your boat is
                traveling. This is action free of reaction and further karma.

                Relax. Melt into your most comfortable meditative posture.
                Focus on your breath and feel and witness its entry,
                retention, and leaving. Let your body establish a comfortable
                rhythm. Visualize your great grandparents in your mind's
                eye. See them be born, have events take place in their
                lives and eventually give birth to your grandparents.
                Visualize your grandparents be born, see them have events
                take place in their lives and eventually give birth to your
                parents. Visualize your parents being born and see them
                go through the events in their lives that eventually included
                giving birth to you.

                As clearly as possible, without reacting physically,
                emotionally, or mentally, allow the movie of the events
                of your life to unfold on the inner screen of your mind's
                eye. Witness the events as unattached as the monk was who
                carried the woman over the stream. And just like him,
                leave your attachments to all the events that have resulted
                in your being here, now. Know that you are now in the boat
                ride of your life and that to look back is to reattach to
                your ancestors and your own karma and all the suffering that
                clings to it. Look ahead free of karma, enjoy the ride,
                and live happily ever after.
              • jvmarco
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 26, 2007
                  V:
                  The perceived now is relative. The perceived now is that which is
                  filtered through the physical senses alone (the skandhas). There are
                  higher senses, or metasensory levels realized through transcendence
                  that we all have access to. Transcendence is not beyond our ability.

                  Even Maslow touched on transcendence in his heirarchy therory, yet
                  only understood after self-actualization.

                  Here's an interesting quote:

                  "Transcendence has been discounted by secular psychologists because
                  they feel it belongs to the domain of religious belief. But Maslow
                  himself believed that science and religion were both too narrowly
                  conceived, too dichotomized, and too separated from each other. Non-
                  peakers, as he would call them, characteristically think in logical,
                  rational terms and look down on extreme spirituality as "insanity"
                  (p. 22) because it entails a loss of control and deviation from what
                  is socially acceptable. They may even try to avoid such experiences
                  because they are not materially productive—they "earn no money, bake
                  no bread, and chop no wood" (p. 23). Other non-peakers have the
                  problem of immaturity in spiritual matters, and hence tend to view
                  holy rituals and events in their most crude, external form, not
                  appreciating them for any underlying spiritual implications. Maslow
                  despised such people because they form a sort of idolatry that
                  hinders religions (p. 24). This creates a divide in every religion
                  and social institution. (Maslow. "The 'Core-Religious'
                  or 'Transcendent,' Experience.")"

                  You mention shore line...the following (five paragraphs) is from my
                  book Exploring Freethought Magick:

                  To understand life context, the analogy of Spanish ships in the New
                  World is helpful. Supposedly, when the Conquistadors arrived and
                  greeted a tribe of natives on the beach from their longboats, the
                  chief asked, "Where did you people come from?" The Spanish replied
                  that they arrived in those large ships about a hundred meters off
                  shore. The natives could not see these ships, for they did not
                  understand how to relate to the idea of ship. After much discussion,
                  a few began to see the ships because of the odd ripples on the water,
                  and then the whole tribe saw them.

                  Some people may snicker at that story, saying, "Oh, those natives
                  must have been blind." In that case, let me ask this: How many
                  colors were in the rainbow during biblical times? Seven? No, they
                  may have only seen one, but surely not more than three.

                  In Daybreak, Friedrich Nietzsche comments, "How different nature must
                  have appeared to the Greeks if, as we have to admit, their eyes were
                  blind to blue and green." Just because you see seven colors, you
                  should not assume that our ancestors saw seven. Assumptions and
                  beliefs are the delusions of the phenomenal mind.

                  In the Iliad, Homer describes the rainbow as having just one color.
                  However, Xenophanes, the teacher of Parmenides, saw three colors in
                  the phenomenon of a rainbow: purple, red, and a yellow-green. Later,
                  in the meteorological treatise Meteorologica, written circa 340 BCE,
                  Aristotle concurred: "The rainbow has three colors."

                  Not until the Renaissance did Westerners begin to see seven colors in
                  the rainbow. However, that does not mean that there are seven colors
                  in the rainbow. There is compelling evidence that there are actually
                  nine colors in the rainbow. You're missing two colors, like the New
                  World natives were missing those Spanish ships. Charles F. Haanel
                  said, "The mind cannot comprehend an entirely new idea until a
                  corresponding vibratory brain cell has been prepared to receive it."

                  :)