Re: [Meditation Society of America] From our Website --- Jnana Yoga

  • sean tremblay
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 10, 2007
      That is fantastic!

      In answer to an email that asked
      "What should I meditate on?", we
      had directed a member to this
      technique that appears in the Concepts
      of Meditation section on Meditation Station.
      The report that we got back was that
      this was helpful. Perhaps it will be
      for you as well. Enjoy!
      Jnana Yoga
      Jnana Yoga is the yoga of wisdom. Basically
      it directs us to come to know the reality of
      who and what our Real Self is. Who and what
      we are is consciousness and we are at one
      with the source of all things and all
      consciousness. One of the methods Jnana
      Yogis use for coming to the realization of
      our oneness is stimulated by meditating on
      certain phrases such as "That thou art",
      "Consciousness is Brahman (The supreme Reality)",
      "I am Brahman", and "This Self is Brahman".
      Of these, it is said that the first, "That thou art",
      is the greatest and gives birth to the other three.

      For centuries seekers of Enlightenment have
      meditated on these statements and enjoyed the
      divine reward they sought. In these turbulent
      times it is still appropriate to spend time
      and energy in contemplation on these liberating
      concepts. It is also worthwhile to meditate on other
      concepts. The criteria we must use to determine if
      a concept or technique is "good for us" is very simple
      - if it brings you peace, it is. And if it causes
      you to lose your peace, it is "bad".

      In Jnana, virtually everything that deals with
      becoming less ego-centered and more universal in
      perspective is considered beneficial and worth
      meditating on. Here are a few thoughts that may
      bring you peace...

      1. Only the selfish suffer.

      2. In this Now, everything's sweet.

      3. You are not apart from the universe; you are
      not "here" and the rest of the universe "there".
      You are a part of the universe, at one with it.

      4. The only thing telling you something's wrong is your mind. Nevermind!

      5. Time is subjective. Be objective - don't let
      time subject you. Whenever anything happens, it
      is the right time for it to occur.

      6. Your body is a collection of atoms that has
      changed its' construction and composition 100%
      since you first started reading this. You are not
      your body. You are that which can witness its' changes.

      7. The tongue is the hardest sense instrument to
      tame. Our need to comment is obsessive and compulsive.
      Chasing after taste bud pleasure is slavery.
      Witness your inner silence and be free.

      8. It is good not to suffer. But suffering helps
      you grow because it makes you strong, compassionate,
      and humble. These are very good qualities. So
      suffering is also good. When you realize this,
      you can give thanks and praise when you don't suffer
      and when you do. Stop suffering from thinking
      suffering is only something that makes you suffer.

      9. Your inner Real Self is beautiful, pure, luminous,
      and glorious. This essence is yours eternally. Don't
      worry for a second about your external beauty. If
      you're in touch with your inner beauty, your outer
      beauty will be beautiful.

      10. If you help less, you will be helpless.

      11. Every breath is a gift of love from above.
      Fill with this love with every inhale and send
      it out with every exhale.

      12. The most serene person is the most selfless person.
      The saddest person is the most selfish person.