Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: YOG AND CHURCH

  • sean tremblay
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2007
      Some churches ban pepper, some churches ban coffee, other churches ban short pants.  But in England as well as America church participation is voluntary and if they want to ban yoga it's not my place to correct them.  There are many practices in every religion that I think are silly some forms of New Age thought even are down right rediculas, If a church bans thier congregants from practicing yoga, thats there buisness to do so and if enough if members of that church disagree they can either leave thier church or work to change it.  In other words practice your own dharma don't worry about theirs.  I'm not sure wich church this is but I'm sure the reason for the ban is they believe yogic philosophy runs contrary to thier beliefs and faith so unless you yourself are out to prosteletize in the name of yoga, I fail to see the problem.
      I am pretty much down with letting people do thier thing BUT where I draw the line is when a religion activley harms others in the name of faith ie. Dowery Murders, Death by Stoning, Sacred Prostitution, Genital Mutilation, Vieled and silenced women the splashing of acid on untouchables
      So come on dude if some Limy church wants to kick yoga out of its activity center BIG DEAL, I think there are more important things to worry about
      Please excuse the typo's once again
      Nameste
      Sean (CBA)

      Yo Sri Raj,
      There will probably never be a time when some
      "religious" group doesn't try to boost itself
      by putting down some other path. In this case,
      it's Yoga, and at other times it is New Age thinking,
      meditation, and other similar non-traditional
      means of exploring spirituality that are deemed evil.
      I think the best way to show how yoga is useful is by
      demonstrating in one's own actions its worth to
      yourself and to others. And this would include
      being tolerant of others paths. I think we should have
      great compassion for those who don't appreciate
      the value of "out of the box" spiritual methods.
      They really don't know what they are missing.