Re: [Meditation Society of America] Sharing, Caring, and The Buddha

  • sean tremblay
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
      Well Ted I decided to go back to school and eventualy study law.  I realized as long as I work with my body I will always be subject to the will and intent of those above me(harder to practice the ZRight Livelyhood.) Also I'm not gettting younger so it's time to movr on mentaly physicaly and spiritualy, I'll write more in depth later my hand is still bandanged and I'm all over the key board

      Ted <txhandyman57@...> wrote:
      <bethjams9@. ..> wrote:

      > I don't think the minister was equating violence with action, you
      had given great examples of non violent action
      > I personally suffer from the guilt of non action at such a
      volitial time in history, the fact is I am caught up in the struggle
      for survival like everyone else. Ted you also gave agreat example of
      the politics of the middle east in the time of Jesus and how it
      parralels with whats happening now, the biggest difference is the
      amount of damage that can be done now compared to then. In one day we
      can kill what would have taken a year of constant warfare.
      > The damage we can do environmentally is hundreds of times greater
      than what we were able to do even during the industrial revolution, so
      purhaps I'm in the camp that feels that Right thought and Right speech
      are not enough
      > Then again I don't have a leg to stand on in this dept, between
      buisness and work and mortgages and kids and school I might have the
      energy to just go for a ride and drop it all for an hour or so.

      I share your guilt, Sean. I sit out here in the woods extremely
      isolated, mostly broke, and unable so far to find even a low paying
      job in this area I can work at. But truthfully, we should not have
      guilt. We do what we can do. How can we do what we can not do?

      Notice I said Peace starts at home. Doesn't end there. We actually
      make a difference in all we do if we begin to focus our lives and
      attitudes in the right direction. In this country we always have the
      power to vote. Not sure if it's "fixed" or not but it's something.
      Then there's letters to the editor (written in the right spirit, of
      course), sharing, and just living. The key is not to meet force with
      force but force with a type of yielding that re-directs. This is the
      message of all those folks I mentioned.

      The fact is, Sean, there's very little we can do as individuals to
      "change things," either end the war or stop violence or protect the
      environment. If we're participating in destruction somehow we can
      stop what we're doing, of course. There is an element of the Eight
      Fold Path that is totally ignored most of the time. It's Right Work
      (Livelihood) . This element says that we must choose a profession that
      does no harm. Thus choosing a career is important and how we work at
      our job is also important. Every little thing has a consequence.

      Our town has a little "defense" plant. They build PC circuits for
      cruise missiles. What's the harm in slipping a chip onto a PC Board?
      Nothing if it's for a radio. But those PC boards go into devices that
      kill, usually indiscriminately. I could never work there. I even
      chide my wife some because she works at an personnel services company
      that hires and conducts initial training for those people at the
      plant. Where does "do no harm" begin? We have to answer that for
      ourselves.

      But, some would ask, how can I not do my job? That might mean lower
      pay, transitions, moving, loosing stuff, on and on. Is it fair?
      Should I do that? Christians quibble, rationalize, but the fact is
      that Jesus said, "sell it all and follow me." Likewise, Gautama would
      say, "what is fair? There is The Path or not the path." Yes, I'm a
      radical sometimes. I have always been one, actually. It has cost me
      a couple of well paying jobs. And I've never had anybody commend me
      for my ethics. I've been blasted for "blowing a good job" by being a
      "fanatic" about honesty. Such is life. I didn't write the morals, I
      just follow them. .... I digress...

      Most of us don't face this Right Livelihood dilemma. If we're doing
      all we know to do, buying "green" and living "green" and not
      supporting violence and have Right Livelihood then the problems are
      beyond us. They are being created by others who have not discovered
      the Truth we have discovered. To correct the problems requires them
      to change. This is where the "meditation and prayer" beginning comes in.

      The way we deal with others depends upon how we've learned to deal
      with ourselves, our family, and our faith. In the beginning all we
      can do is live Metta, loving kindness, compassion, towards all, no
      matter how they are returned. From there, when the time and place and
      opportunity presents itself we share truth (peace, environmental
      protection, etc) with those who are willing to listen. We waste our
      time and make enemies when we blast others with stuff when we know
      they disagree and won't listen. That's the whole problem with
      in-your-face evangelism.

      It's a long-term process. We make the choice to live Metta and love.
      In time, others recognize and are open to hearing why. Even more
      time will pass before any results will be seen in others--if we ever
      see it at all. This process is how the vast majority of us should
      live. We do and there's nothing for us to be guilty about.

      There are ways to do more. Some do a lot. Some enter politics, some
      are scientists, writers, etc. Some become "Gandhis." They can do more
      and they bear a greater responsibility. Less than that we can give
      when we have it or volunteer if it's possible.

      We should not feel guilt for the world. We cannot fix the world. We
      should not feel guilt for others. We cannot change others. We should
      not feel guilt for self. If there's something we're doing that is not
      productive then we change it. If we get new information about
      something we were doing that was not good, we stop doing it. If we
      are guilty then we are guilty by choice for we are doing something
      deliberately that we feel we should not do. If we're choosing to do
      something the guilt is silly. Anyway, that's what I think. What you
      think?

      Selah! haha

      Pseudoyen Ted

> [...]
      > middle-east, Jews vs. Samaritans and both vs. Romans, there was much
      > to war about, complain about, rail about. All the while Jesus
      > wandered across fields and sat on seashores Romans were crucifying
      > Jews. Jesus could have easily led an insurrection. He didn't. He
      > taught ultimate humility.
      >
      > A little over a half-century ago a scrawny little guy stood up to the
      > British Empire, walked barefoot across India and made salt by the sea.
      > A few decades later a little lady refused to get up in a bus. She,
      > like the salt-maker and the Jewish teacher and the ex-prince changed
      > history. It all came from the heart and it all began within those
      > individuals.
      >
      > The way of Peace has never changed. Peace isn't a state of politics,
      > it's a place of the heart. So actually this discussion has everything
      > with meditation! Cool, huh?
      >
      > Hey, all this deep thought while my family watches "Selina"! Biddy
      > Biddy Bambah!
      >

      > > Ted <txhandyman57@ > wrote:
      > > --- In meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, sean
      > tremblay
      > > <bethjams9@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Ego or not a wise man once said, all that it takes for evil to
      > > florish is for good men to do nothing.
      > >
      > > Sean, I used to have that quote on the header of a website I used to
      > > have up for an online publication I toyed with. A friend who leads a
      > > Sangha said once that the Sangha must find the balance between
      > > selflessness, forgiveness, etc., and when to give voice or make a
      > > stand for right. Something like that. Too many yell about the train
      > > but are not willing to stand in front of it. My inspiration for
      > > public action used to be John Wayne. Now it is Mahatma Gandhi. Or,
      > > of course, Jesus. It wasn't by going in with guns a'blazing but
      > > rather appearing to "loose" that they overcame. Love will triumph but
      > > only if we live it at all costs.
      > >

      > > > Aideen McKenna <aideenmck@> wrote: Thanks for both
      > > links, Ted.
      > > > I love the way you talked about the functions of a belt. Until
      > > quite recently, I was living in a "Bible Belt" & although I've found
      > > out that a Canadian Bible Belt is a flabby elastic band compared to
      > > those in your country, it seemed plenty tight & unpleasant enough. I
      > > wrote frequent letters to the editors of the town's 2 papers. I don't
      > > know whether they had any effect. Sometimes I think that letters like
      > > yours & mine only serve to increase the paranoia, the siege mentality,
      > > of the people who only want to further tighten the belt. So now &
      > > then, I'd give up the effort, but then there'd be another flare-up of
      > > hate disguised as Christianity & I'd find it too difficult to resist
      > > another written call for love & tolerance. Like you, I have trouble
      > > keeping my mouth shut. I'm not sure how much of that has to do with
      > > my own ego – maybe quite a lot. On the other hand, surely one can't
      > > just say nothing when the crazies are taking over the asylum…? I

      One of
      > > > them, entitled "Clearing the Misconceptions, " that provides some
      > > > wonderful insight into Buddhism. This article is found here:
      > > >
      > > > http://www.freewebs .com/jingxinyuan mgc/dustingthemi rror.htm
      > > >
      > > > This person has a Taoist/Buddhist background and great insight.
      Enjoy!

      http://www.lufkinda ilynews.com/ opin/content/ news/opinion/ stories/2007/ 9/2/letter_ gresham.html

      > > > Alternately, visit www.lufkindailynews .com , choose "Opinion"
      and then
      > > > the letter: LETTER: Cinching up the Bible belt
      > > >
      > > > The book of Philippians offers these words: "whatever is true,
      > > > whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is
      > > > lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or
      > > > praiseworthy— think about such things." (NIV) Selah.

      > > > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      > > 8/31/07 5:21 PM

      > > > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      > > 9/02/07 12:59 PM
      > > >

      > > > ------------ --------- --------- ---
      > > > Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
      > > >

      > > ------------ --------- --------- ---
      > > Building a website is a piece of cake.
      > > Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the tools to get online.
      > >

      > ------------ --------- --------- ---
      > Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.

    • Ted
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
        <bethjams9@...> wrote:

        > Well Ted I decided to go back to school and eventualy study law. I
        realized as long as I work with my body I will always be subject to
        the will and intent of those above me(harder to practice the ZRight
        Livelyhood.) Also I'm not gettting younger so it's time to movr on
        mentaly physicaly and spiritualy, I'll write more in depth later my
        hand is still bandanged and I'm all over the key board

        That's cool, Sean. I had actually enrolled in summer term but didn't
        get to go. First, didn't have the dough to get there. My mom got
        sick so our sitter option went south. Then I got some kind of muscle
        spasm problem in my shoulder that completely put me out of action for
        over a month. I'd like to get a Master's degree. Not sure if my
        fifty year old brain could do it though. Law is a field. Thought
        about that a couple decades ago. Took the pre-law exam, did well in
        two fields and so lousy in the third I didn't figure I could pull it off.

        Hope your hand gets better, dude.

        Ted