Re: [Meditation Society of America] Sharing, Caring, and The Buddha

  • Jeff Belyea
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007

      the world moves toward global
      kindness, compassion, and
      environmental sensitivity.

      The powerfully simplistic
      mission of the Unity movement,
      "Peace on earth begins with me,"
      comes to mind.

      <bethjams9@...> wrote:

      > I don't think the minister was equating violence with action, you
      had given great examples of non violent action
      > I personally suffer from the guilt of non action at such a
      volitial time in history, the fact is I am caught up in the struggle
      for survival like everyone else. Ted you also gave agreat example of
      the politics of the middle east in the time of Jesus and how it
      parralels with whats happening now, the biggest difference is the
      amount of damage that can be done now compared to then. In one day we
      can kill what would have taken a year of constant warfare.
      > The damage we can do environmentaly is hundreds of times greater
      than what we were able to do even during the industrial revolution,
      so purhaps I'm in the camp that feels that Right thought and Right
      speech are not enough
      > Then again I don't have a leg to stand on in this dept, between
      buisness and work and mortgages and kids and school I might have the
      energy to just go for a ride and drop it all for an hour or so.

> [...]
      sea.
      > A few decades later a little lady refused to get up in a bus. She,
      > like the salt-maker and the Jewish teacher and the ex-prince changed
      > history. It all came from the heart and it all began within those
      > individuals.
      >
      > The way of Peace has never changed. Peace isn't a state of politics,
      > it's a place of the heart. So actually this discussion has
      everything
      > with meditation! Cool, huh?
      >
      > Hey, all this deep thought while my family watches "Selina"! Biddy
      > Biddy Bambah!
      >

      > > Ted <txhandyman57@> wrote:
      > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, sean
      > tremblay
      > > <bethjams9@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Ego or not a wise man once said, all that it takes for evil to
      > > florish is for good men to do nothing.
      > >
      > > Sean, I used to have that quote on the header of a website I used
      > > have up for an online publication I toyed with. A friend who
      leads a
      > > Sangha said once that the Sangha must find the balance between
      > > selflessness, forgiveness, etc., and when to give voice or make a
      > > stand for right. Something like that. Too many yell about the
      train
      > > but are not willing to stand in front of it. My inspiration for
      > > public action used to be John Wayne. Now it is Mahatma Gandhi. Or,
      > > of course, Jesus. It wasn't by going in with guns a'blazing but
      > > rather appearing to "loose" that they overcame. Love will triumph
      but
      > > only if we live it at all costs.
      > >

      > > > Aideen McKenna <aideenmck@> wrote: Thanks for both
      > > links, Ted.
      > > > I love the way you talked about the functions of a belt. Until
      > > quite recently, I was living in a "Bible Belt" & although I've
      found
      > > out that a Canadian Bible Belt is a flabby elastic band compared
      > > those in your country, it seemed plenty tight & unpleasant
      enough. I
      > > wrote frequent letters to the editors of the town's 2 papers. I
      don't
      > > know whether they had any effect. Sometimes I think that letters
      like
      > > yours & mine only serve to increase the paranoia, the siege
      mentality,
      > > of the people who only want to further tighten the belt. So now &
      > > then, I'd give up the effort, but then there'd be another flare-
      up of
      > > hate disguised as Christianity & I'd find it too difficult to
      resist
      > > another written call for love & tolerance. Like you, I have
      trouble
      > > keeping my mouth shut. I'm not sure how much of that has to do
      with
      > > my own ego – maybe quite a lot. On the other hand, surely one
      can't
      > > just say nothing when the crazies are taking over the asylum…? I

      Ted
      > > > Sent: September 2, 2007 7:34 AM
      > > > To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
      > > > Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Sharing, Caring, and
      The
      > Buddha
      > > >

      > > > Greetings all!
      > > >
      > > > I have recently become acquainted with a teacher on the Facebook
      > > > Sangha named Lin Zi Quan who has written some exemplary works.
      One of
      > > > them, entitled "Clearing the Misconceptions," that provides some
      > > > wonderful insight into Buddhism. This article is found here:
      > > >
      > > > http://www.freewebs.com/jingxinyuanmgc/dustingthemirror.htm
      > > >
      > > > This person has a Taoist/Buddhist background and great insight.
      Enjoy!

      > > > Second item:
      > > >
      > > > A letter I wrote to our local newspaper, the Lufkin Daily News,
      was
      > > > printed today. I wish to share this letter. I would also like
      to ask
      > > > what you all think of the propriety of writing letters such as
      this
      > > > might be and if any have written to your local paper.
      > > >
      > > > Find the letter here:

      http://www.lufkindailynews.com/opin/content/news/opinion/stories/2007/
      9/2/letter_gresham.html

      > > > Alternately, visit www.lufkindailynews.com , choose "Opinion"
      and then
      > > > the letter: LETTER: Cinching up the Bible belt
      > > >
      > > > The book of Philippians offers these words: "whatever is true,
      > > > whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure,
      whatever is
      > > > lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or
      > > > praiseworthy—think about such things." (NIV) Selah.

      > > > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      > > 8/31/07 5:21 PM

      > > > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      > > 9/02/07 12:59 PM
      > > >

      > > > ---------------------------------
      > > > Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Yahoo!
      Travel.

      > > ---------------------------------
      > > Building a website is a piece of cake.
      > > Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the tools to get online.
      > >

      > ---------------------------------
      vehicles.
      > Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.

    • Ted
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
        <bethjams9@...> wrote:

        > I don't think the minister was equating violence with action, you
        had given great examples of non violent action
        > I personally suffer from the guilt of non action at such a
        volitial time in history, the fact is I am caught up in the struggle
        for survival like everyone else. Ted you also gave agreat example of
        the politics of the middle east in the time of Jesus and how it
        parralels with whats happening now, the biggest difference is the
        amount of damage that can be done now compared to then. In one day we
        can kill what would have taken a year of constant warfare.
        > The damage we can do environmentally is hundreds of times greater
        than what we were able to do even during the industrial revolution, so
        purhaps I'm in the camp that feels that Right thought and Right speech
        are not enough
        > Then again I don't have a leg to stand on in this dept, between
        buisness and work and mortgages and kids and school I might have the
        energy to just go for a ride and drop it all for an hour or so.

        I share your guilt, Sean. I sit out here in the woods extremely
        isolated, mostly broke, and unable so far to find even a low paying
        job in this area I can work at. But truthfully, we should not have
        guilt. We do what we can do. How can we do what we can not do?

        Notice I said Peace starts at home. Doesn't end there. We actually
        make a difference in all we do if we begin to focus our lives and
        attitudes in the right direction. In this country we always have the
        power to vote. Not sure if it's "fixed" or not but it's something.
        Then there's letters to the editor (written in the right spirit, of
        course), sharing, and just living. The key is not to meet force with
        force but force with a type of yielding that re-directs. This is the
        message of all those folks I mentioned.

        The fact is, Sean, there's very little we can do as individuals to
        "change things," either end the war or stop violence or protect the
        environment. If we're participating in destruction somehow we can
        stop what we're doing, of course. There is an element of the Eight
        Fold Path that is totally ignored most of the time. It's Right Work
        (Livelihood). This element says that we must choose a profession that
        does no harm. Thus choosing a career is important and how we work at
        our job is also important. Every little thing has a consequence.

        Our town has a little "defense" plant. They build PC circuits for
        cruise missiles. What's the harm in slipping a chip onto a PC Board?
        Nothing if it's for a radio. But those PC boards go into devices that
        kill, usually indiscriminately. I could never work there. I even
        chide my wife some because she works at an personnel services company
        that hires and conducts initial training for those people at the
        plant. Where does "do no harm" begin? We have to answer that for
        ourselves.

        But, some would ask, how can I not do my job? That might mean lower
        pay, transitions, moving, loosing stuff, on and on. Is it fair?
        Should I do that? Christians quibble, rationalize, but the fact is
        that Jesus said, "sell it all and follow me." Likewise, Gautama would
        say, "what is fair? There is The Path or not the path." Yes, I'm a
        radical sometimes. I have always been one, actually. It has cost me
        a couple of well paying jobs. And I've never had anybody commend me
        for my ethics. I've been blasted for "blowing a good job" by being a
        "fanatic" about honesty. Such is life. I didn't write the morals, I
        just follow them. .... I digress...

        Most of us don't face this Right Livelihood dilemma. If we're doing
        all we know to do, buying "green" and living "green" and not
        supporting violence and have Right Livelihood then the problems are
        beyond us. They are being created by others who have not discovered
        the Truth we have discovered. To correct the problems requires them
        to change. This is where the "meditation and prayer" beginning comes in.

        The way we deal with others depends upon how we've learned to deal
        with ourselves, our family, and our faith. In the beginning all we
        can do is live Metta, loving kindness, compassion, towards all, no
        matter how they are returned. From there, when the time and place and
        opportunity presents itself we share truth (peace, environmental
        protection, etc) with those who are willing to listen. We waste our
        time and make enemies when we blast others with stuff when we know
        they disagree and won't listen. That's the whole problem with
        in-your-face evangelism.

        It's a long-term process. We make the choice to live Metta and love.
        In time, others recognize and are open to hearing why. Even more
        time will pass before any results will be seen in others--if we ever
        see it at all. This process is how the vast majority of us should
        live. We do and there's nothing for us to be guilty about.

        There are ways to do more. Some do a lot. Some enter politics, some
        are scientists, writers, etc. Some become "Gandhis." They can do more
        and they bear a greater responsibility. Less than that we can give
        when we have it or volunteer if it's possible.

        We should not feel guilt for the world. We cannot fix the world. We
        should not feel guilt for others. We cannot change others. We should
        not feel guilt for self. If there's something we're doing that is not
        productive then we change it. If we get new information about
        something we were doing that was not good, we stop doing it. If we
        are guilty then we are guilty by choice for we are doing something
        deliberately that we feel we should not do. If we're choosing to do
        something the guilt is silly. Anyway, that's what I think. What you
        think?

        Selah! haha

        Pseudoyen Ted

      • sean tremblay
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
          Well Ted I decided to go back to school and eventualy study law.  I realized as long as I work with my body I will always be subject to the will and intent of those above me(harder to practice the ZRight Livelyhood.) Also I'm not gettting younger so it's time to movr on mentaly physicaly and spiritualy, I'll write more in depth later my hand is still bandanged and I'm all over the key board

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
            <bethjams9@...> wrote:

            > Well Ted I decided to go back to school and eventualy study law. I
            realized as long as I work with my body I will always be subject to
            the will and intent of those above me(harder to practice the ZRight
            Livelyhood.) Also I'm not gettting younger so it's time to movr on
            mentaly physicaly and spiritualy, I'll write more in depth later my
            hand is still bandanged and I'm all over the key board

            That's cool, Sean. I had actually enrolled in summer term but didn't
            get to go. First, didn't have the dough to get there. My mom got
            sick so our sitter option went south. Then I got some kind of muscle
            spasm problem in my shoulder that completely put me out of action for
            over a month. I'd like to get a Master's degree. Not sure if my
            fifty year old brain could do it though. Law is a field. Thought
            about that a couple decades ago. Took the pre-law exam, did well in
            two fields and so lousy in the third I didn't figure I could pull it off.

            Hope your hand gets better, dude.

            Ted