Re: [Meditation Society of America] Sharing, Caring, and The Buddha

  • sean tremblay
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 3 6:54 AM
      I don't think the minister was equating violence with action, you had given great examples of non violent action
      I personally suffer from the guilt of non action at such a volitial time in history, the fact is I am caught up in the struggle for survival like everyone else. Ted you also gave agreat example of the politics of the middle east in the time of Jesus and how it parralels with whats happening now, the biggest difference is the amount of damage that can be done now compared to then. In one day we can kill what would have taken a year of constant warfare.
      The damage we can do environmentaly is hundreds of times greater than what we were able to do even during the industrial revolution, so purhaps I'm in the camp that feels that Right thought and Right speech are not enough
      Then again I don't have a leg to stand on in this dept, between buisness and work and mortgages and kids and school I might have the energy to just go for a ride and drop it all for an hour or so.

      Ted <txhandyman57@...> wrote:
      <bethjams9@. ..> wrote:

      > I asked a methodist minister his take on pacifism and action, he
      talked about the story of Jesus and the money changers in the temple,
      the ministry said that some offences are so great they just need to
      be stopped!
      > Of course there are alot of things to take action on
      > A two front war that is in the Bill$$$ and Thousands in los of life
      > We have a planet on the verge of ecological disaster
      > Pandemics
      > the list goes on. and I have digressed from the point of this
      group wich is meditation

      Maybe we have digressed a bit but only if this discussion does not
      find its way into contemplation, into the seeking, into the knowing
      we're working on.

      I used to be one of the most bellicose of Christians, "just war" and
      all that. I am quite ashamed of those views I held. I am now an
      exceptional pacifist. To that Methodist preacher I might once have
      said, "right on" but now I would say, "sure, Jesus had authority,
      understanding, and maybe the right to insist his own father's house
      not be defiled." Then I might question the actual validity of those
      "reports" in the gospels themselves.

      Even that "was then." The question I've had to ask is where does
      peace begin? It does not begin with legislation, with protests, with
      marches, with talking heads or radio pundits or letters to the editor.
      Peace begins right here in my room, in my meditation, in my prayer.
      It begins in me. It begins in my family.

      Twenty five hundred years ago a guy named Siddhartha Gautama gave up a
      position as a prince with plenty of power to "fix" things and became a
      wondering monk. He discovered the answer to human suffering was not
      to raise a sword but to sit quietly counting breaths and releasing
      everything that causes suffering.

      Five hundred years later and a world away in the midst of a broiling
      middle-east, Jews vs. Samaritans and both vs. Romans, there was much
      to war about, complain about, rail about. All the while Jesus
      wandered across fields and sat on seashores Romans were crucifying
      Jews. Jesus could have easily led an insurrection. He didn't. He
      taught ultimate humility.

      A little over a half-century ago a scrawny little guy stood up to the
      British Empire, walked barefoot across India and made salt by the sea.
      A few decades later a little lady refused to get up in a bus. She,
      like the salt-maker and the Jewish teacher and the ex-prince changed
      history. It all came from the heart and it all began within those
      individuals.

      The way of Peace has never changed. Peace isn't a state of politics,
      it's a place of the heart. So actually this discussion has everything
      with meditation! Cool, huh?

      Hey, all this deep thought while my family watches "Selina"! Biddy
      Biddy Bambah!

      > Ted <txhandyman57@ ...> wrote:
      > --- In meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, sean
      tremblay
      > <bethjams9@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Ego or not a wise man once said, all that it takes for evil to
      > florish is for good men to do nothing.
      >
      > Sean, I used to have that quote on the header of a website I used to
      > have up for an online publication I toyed with. A friend who leads a
      > Sangha said once that the Sangha must find the balance between
      > selflessness, forgiveness, etc., and when to give voice or make a
      > stand for right. Something like that. Too many yell about the train
      > but are not willing to stand in front of it. My inspiration for
      > public action used to be John Wayne. Now it is Mahatma Gandhi. Or,
      > of course, Jesus. It wasn't by going in with guns a'blazing but
      > rather appearing to "loose" that they overcame. Love will triumph but
      > only if we live it at all costs.
      >

      > > Aideen McKenna <aideenmck@> wrote: Thanks for both
      > links, Ted.
      > > I love the way you talked about the functions of a belt. Until
      > quite recently, I was living in a "Bible Belt" & although I've found
      > out that a Canadian Bible Belt is a flabby elastic band compared to
      > those in your country, it seemed plenty tight & unpleasant enough. I
      > wrote frequent letters to the editors of the town's 2 papers. I don't
      > know whether they had any effect. Sometimes I think that letters like
      > yours & mine only serve to increase the paranoia, the siege mentality,
      > of the people who only want to further tighten the belt. So now &
      > then, I'd give up the effort, but then there'd be another flare-up of
      > hate disguised as Christianity & I'd find it too difficult to resist
      > another written call for love & tolerance. Like you, I have trouble
      > keeping my mouth shut. I'm not sure how much of that has to do with
      > my own ego – maybe quite a lot. On the other hand, surely one can't
      > just say nothing when the crazies are taking over the asylum…? I
      > dunno. Anyway, yours
      > > was a dandy letter.
      > > Aideen
      > >

      > > ------------ --------- --------- ---

      Buddha

      http://www.lufkinda ilynews.com/ opin/content/ news/opinion/ stories/2007/ 9/2/letter_ gresham.html

      > > Alternately, visit www.lufkindailynews .com , choose "Opinion" and then
      > > the letter: LETTER: Cinching up the Bible belt
      > >
      > > The book of Philippians offers these words: "whatever is true,
      > > whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is
      > > lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or
      > > praiseworthy— think about such things." (NIV) Selah.

      > > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      > 8/31/07 5:21 PM

      > > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      > 9/02/07 12:59 PM
      > >

      > > ------------ --------- --------- ---
      > > Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
      > >

      > ------------ --------- --------- ---

      Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.

    • Jeff Belyea
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 3 8:56 AM
        The value of meditation,
        or the act of meditating,
        may be seen as too passive
        in light of the overt and
        obvious damage of warfare
        and environmental neglect
        and exploitation, but...

        Meditation as a means to
        an end; that is, a loving
        kindness and compassion
        that comes from the heart
        rather than an intellectual
        "wish" that we were more
        kind and globally compassionate,
        can provoke us and bring us
        to action. This (meditation)
        is often a necessary and
        critical first step.

        As meditation moves us to
        the heart level, and then
        the heart and mind level,
        we move with a "choiceless
        obligation" to be more
        involved in act of kindness
        and compassion - even if
        those "acts" are simply to
        encourage meditation as
        we attend to our own level
        of consciousness that is
        kind and compassionate.
        (Regular meditation is a
        great maintenance tool.)

        As Ramana Maharshi said,
        "Aspirants meditate to attain,
        and awakened meditate to maintain."

        As more people meditate to
        the depth of the heart stirring,
        the world moves toward global
        kindness, compassion, and
        environmental sensitivity.

        The powerfully simplistic
        mission of the Unity movement,
        "Peace on earth begins with me,"
        comes to mind.

        <bethjams9@...> wrote:

> [...]
        don't
        > > know whether they had any effect. Sometimes I think that letters
        like
        > > yours & mine only serve to increase the paranoia, the siege
        mentality,
        > > of the people who only want to further tighten the belt. So now &
        > > then, I'd give up the effort, but then there'd be another flare-
        up of
        > > hate disguised as Christianity & I'd find it too difficult to
        resist
        > > another written call for love & tolerance. Like you, I have
        trouble
        > > keeping my mouth shut. I'm not sure how much of that has to do
        with
        > > my own ego – maybe quite a lot. On the other hand, surely one
        can't
        > > just say nothing when the crazies are taking over the asylum…? I

      • Ted
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 3 9:00 AM
          <bethjams9@...> wrote:

          > I don't think the minister was equating violence with action, you
          had given great examples of non violent action
          > I personally suffer from the guilt of non action at such a
          volitial time in history, the fact is I am caught up in the struggle
          for survival like everyone else. Ted you also gave agreat example of
          the politics of the middle east in the time of Jesus and how it
          parralels with whats happening now, the biggest difference is the
          amount of damage that can be done now compared to then. In one day we
          can kill what would have taken a year of constant warfare.
          > The damage we can do environmentally is hundreds of times greater
          than what we were able to do even during the industrial revolution, so
          purhaps I'm in the camp that feels that Right thought and Right speech
          are not enough
          > Then again I don't have a leg to stand on in this dept, between
          buisness and work and mortgages and kids and school I might have the
          energy to just go for a ride and drop it all for an hour or so.

          I share your guilt, Sean. I sit out here in the woods extremely
          isolated, mostly broke, and unable so far to find even a low paying
          job in this area I can work at. But truthfully, we should not have
          guilt. We do what we can do. How can we do what we can not do?

          Notice I said Peace starts at home. Doesn't end there. We actually
          make a difference in all we do if we begin to focus our lives and
          attitudes in the right direction. In this country we always have the
          power to vote. Not sure if it's "fixed" or not but it's something.
          Then there's letters to the editor (written in the right spirit, of
          course), sharing, and just living. The key is not to meet force with
          force but force with a type of yielding that re-directs. This is the
          message of all those folks I mentioned.

          The fact is, Sean, there's very little we can do as individuals to
          "change things," either end the war or stop violence or protect the
          environment. If we're participating in destruction somehow we can
          stop what we're doing, of course. There is an element of the Eight
          Fold Path that is totally ignored most of the time. It's Right Work
          (Livelihood). This element says that we must choose a profession that
          does no harm. Thus choosing a career is important and how we work at
          our job is also important. Every little thing has a consequence.

          Our town has a little "defense" plant. They build PC circuits for
          cruise missiles. What's the harm in slipping a chip onto a PC Board?
          Nothing if it's for a radio. But those PC boards go into devices that
          kill, usually indiscriminately. I could never work there. I even
          chide my wife some because she works at an personnel services company
          that hires and conducts initial training for those people at the
          plant. Where does "do no harm" begin? We have to answer that for
          ourselves.

          But, some would ask, how can I not do my job? That might mean lower
          pay, transitions, moving, loosing stuff, on and on. Is it fair?
          Should I do that? Christians quibble, rationalize, but the fact is
          that Jesus said, "sell it all and follow me." Likewise, Gautama would
          say, "what is fair? There is The Path or not the path." Yes, I'm a
          radical sometimes. I have always been one, actually. It has cost me
          a couple of well paying jobs. And I've never had anybody commend me
          for my ethics. I've been blasted for "blowing a good job" by being a
          "fanatic" about honesty. Such is life. I didn't write the morals, I
          just follow them. .... I digress...

          Most of us don't face this Right Livelihood dilemma. If we're doing
          all we know to do, buying "green" and living "green" and not
          supporting violence and have Right Livelihood then the problems are
          beyond us. They are being created by others who have not discovered
          the Truth we have discovered. To correct the problems requires them
          to change. This is where the "meditation and prayer" beginning comes in.

          The way we deal with others depends upon how we've learned to deal
          with ourselves, our family, and our faith. In the beginning all we
          can do is live Metta, loving kindness, compassion, towards all, no
          matter how they are returned. From there, when the time and place and
          opportunity presents itself we share truth (peace, environmental
          protection, etc) with those who are willing to listen. We waste our
          time and make enemies when we blast others with stuff when we know
          they disagree and won't listen. That's the whole problem with
          in-your-face evangelism.

          It's a long-term process. We make the choice to live Metta and love.
          In time, others recognize and are open to hearing why. Even more
          time will pass before any results will be seen in others--if we ever
          see it at all. This process is how the vast majority of us should
          live. We do and there's nothing for us to be guilty about.

          There are ways to do more. Some do a lot. Some enter politics, some
          are scientists, writers, etc. Some become "Gandhis." They can do more
          and they bear a greater responsibility. Less than that we can give
          when we have it or volunteer if it's possible.

          We should not feel guilt for the world. We cannot fix the world. We
          should not feel guilt for others. We cannot change others. We should
          not feel guilt for self. If there's something we're doing that is not
          productive then we change it. If we get new information about
          something we were doing that was not good, we stop doing it. If we
          are guilty then we are guilty by choice for we are doing something
          deliberately that we feel we should not do. If we're choosing to do
          something the guilt is silly. Anyway, that's what I think. What you
          think?

          Selah! haha

          Pseudoyen Ted

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 3 9:36 AM
            Well Ted I decided to go back to school and eventualy study law.  I realized as long as I work with my body I will always be subject to the will and intent of those above me(harder to practice the ZRight Livelyhood.) Also I'm not gettting younger so it's time to movr on mentaly physicaly and spiritualy, I'll write more in depth later my hand is still bandanged and I'm all over the key board

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 3 4:01 PM
              <bethjams9@...> wrote:

              > Well Ted I decided to go back to school and eventualy study law. I
              realized as long as I work with my body I will always be subject to
              the will and intent of those above me(harder to practice the ZRight
              Livelyhood.) Also I'm not gettting younger so it's time to movr on
              mentaly physicaly and spiritualy, I'll write more in depth later my
              hand is still bandanged and I'm all over the key board

              That's cool, Sean. I had actually enrolled in summer term but didn't
              get to go. First, didn't have the dough to get there. My mom got
              sick so our sitter option went south. Then I got some kind of muscle
              spasm problem in my shoulder that completely put me out of action for
              over a month. I'd like to get a Master's degree. Not sure if my
              fifty year old brain could do it though. Law is a field. Thought
              about that a couple decades ago. Took the pre-law exam, did well in
              two fields and so lousy in the third I didn't figure I could pull it off.

              Hope your hand gets better, dude.

              Ted