Re: [Meditation Society of America] Sharing, Caring, and The Buddha

  • Ted
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
      <bethjams9@...> wrote:

      > I asked a methodist minister his take on pacifism and action, he
      talked about the story of Jesus and the money changers in the temple,
      the ministry said that some offences are so great they just need to
      be stopped!
      > Of course there are alot of things to take action on
      > A two front war that is in the Bill$$$ and Thousands in los of life
      > We have a planet on the verge of ecological disaster
      > Pandemics
      > the list goes on. and I have digressed from the point of this
      group wich is meditation

      Maybe we have digressed a bit but only if this discussion does not
      find its way into contemplation, into the seeking, into the knowing
      we're working on.

      I used to be one of the most bellicose of Christians, "just war" and
      all that. I am quite ashamed of those views I held. I am now an
      exceptional pacifist. To that Methodist preacher I might once have
      said, "right on" but now I would say, "sure, Jesus had authority,
      understanding, and maybe the right to insist his own father's house
      not be defiled." Then I might question the actual validity of those
      "reports" in the gospels themselves.

      Even that "was then." The question I've had to ask is where does
      peace begin? It does not begin with legislation, with protests, with
      marches, with talking heads or radio pundits or letters to the editor.
      Peace begins right here in my room, in my meditation, in my prayer.
      It begins in me. It begins in my family.

      Twenty five hundred years ago a guy named Siddhartha Gautama gave up a
      position as a prince with plenty of power to "fix" things and became a
      wondering monk. He discovered the answer to human suffering was not
      to raise a sword but to sit quietly counting breaths and releasing
      everything that causes suffering.

      Five hundred years later and a world away in the midst of a broiling
      middle-east, Jews vs. Samaritans and both vs. Romans, there was much
      to war about, complain about, rail about. All the while Jesus
      wandered across fields and sat on seashores Romans were crucifying
      Jews. Jesus could have easily led an insurrection. He didn't. He
      taught ultimate humility.

      A little over a half-century ago a scrawny little guy stood up to the
      British Empire, walked barefoot across India and made salt by the sea.
      A few decades later a little lady refused to get up in a bus. She,
      like the salt-maker and the Jewish teacher and the ex-prince changed
      history. It all came from the heart and it all began within those
      individuals.

      The way of Peace has never changed. Peace isn't a state of politics,
      it's a place of the heart. So actually this discussion has everything
      with meditation! Cool, huh?

      Hey, all this deep thought while my family watches "Selina"! Biddy
      Biddy Bambah!

      > Ted <txhandyman57@...> wrote:
      > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, sean
      tremblay
      > <bethjams9@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Ego or not a wise man once said, all that it takes for evil to
      > florish is for good men to do nothing.
      >
      > Sean, I used to have that quote on the header of a website I used to
      > have up for an online publication I toyed with. A friend who leads a
      > Sangha said once that the Sangha must find the balance between
      > selflessness, forgiveness, etc., and when to give voice or make a
      > stand for right. Something like that. Too many yell about the train
      > but are not willing to stand in front of it. My inspiration for
      > public action used to be John Wayne. Now it is Mahatma Gandhi. Or,
      > of course, Jesus. It wasn't by going in with guns a'blazing but
      > rather appearing to "loose" that they overcame. Love will triumph but
      > only if we live it at all costs.
      >

      > > Aideen McKenna <aideenmck@> wrote: Thanks for both
      > links, Ted.
      > > I love the way you talked about the functions of a belt. Until
      > quite recently, I was living in a "Bible Belt" & although I've found
      > out that a Canadian Bible Belt is a flabby elastic band compared to
      > those in your country, it seemed plenty tight & unpleasant enough. I
      > wrote frequent letters to the editors of the town's 2 papers. I don't
      > know whether they had any effect. Sometimes I think that letters like
      > yours & mine only serve to increase the paranoia, the siege mentality,
      > of the people who only want to further tighten the belt. So now &
      > then, I'd give up the effort, but then there'd be another flare-up of
      > hate disguised as Christianity & I'd find it too difficult to resist
      > another written call for love & tolerance. Like you, I have trouble
      > keeping my mouth shut. I'm not sure how much of that has to do with
      > my own ego – maybe quite a lot. On the other hand, surely one can't
      > just say nothing when the crazies are taking over the asylum…? I
      > dunno. Anyway, yours
      > > was a dandy letter.
      > > Aideen
      > >

      > > ---------------------------------

      Buddha

      http://www.lufkindailynews.com/opin/content/news/opinion/stories/2007/9/2/letter_gresham.html

      > > Alternately, visit www.lufkindailynews.com , choose "Opinion" and then
      > > the letter: LETTER: Cinching up the Bible belt
      > >
      > > The book of Philippians offers these words: "whatever is true,
      > > whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is
      > > lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or
      > > praiseworthy—think about such things." (NIV) Selah.

      > > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      > 8/31/07 5:21 PM

      > > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      > 9/02/07 12:59 PM
      > >

      > > ---------------------------------
      > > Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
      > >

      > ---------------------------------

    • sean tremblay
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
        I don't think the minister was equating violence with action, you had given great examples of non violent action
        I personally suffer from the guilt of non action at such a volitial time in history, the fact is I am caught up in the struggle for survival like everyone else. Ted you also gave agreat example of the politics of the middle east in the time of Jesus and how it parralels with whats happening now, the biggest difference is the amount of damage that can be done now compared to then. In one day we can kill what would have taken a year of constant warfare.
        The damage we can do environmentaly is hundreds of times greater than what we were able to do even during the industrial revolution, so purhaps I'm in the camp that feels that Right thought and Right speech are not enough
        Then again I don't have a leg to stand on in this dept, between buisness and work and mortgages and kids and school I might have the energy to just go for a ride and drop it all for an hour or so.

        Ted <txhandyman57@...> wrote:
        <bethjams9@. ..> wrote:

> [...]

        > out that a Canadian Bible Belt is a flabby elastic band compared to
        > those in your country, it seemed plenty tight & unpleasant enough. I
        > wrote frequent letters to the editors of the town's 2 papers. I don't
        > know whether they had any effect. Sometimes I think that letters like
        > yours & mine only serve to increase the paranoia, the siege mentality,
        > of the people who only want to further tighten the belt. So now &
        > then, I'd give up the effort, but then there'd be another flare-up of
        > hate disguised as Christianity & I'd find it too difficult to resist
        > another written call for love & tolerance. Like you, I have trouble
        > keeping my mouth shut. I'm not sure how much of that has to do with
        > my own ego – maybe quite a lot. On the other hand, surely one can't
        > just say nothing when the crazies are taking over the asylum…? I

        Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.

      • Jeff Belyea
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
          The value of meditation,
          or the act of meditating,
          may be seen as too passive
          in light of the overt and
          obvious damage of warfare
          and environmental neglect
          and exploitation, but...

          Meditation as a means to
          an end; that is, a loving
          kindness and compassion
          that comes from the heart
          rather than an intellectual
          "wish" that we were more
          kind and globally compassionate,
          can provoke us and bring us
          to action. This (meditation)
          is often a necessary and
          critical first step.

          As meditation moves us to
          the heart level, and then
          the heart and mind level,
          we move with a "choiceless
          obligation" to be more
          involved in act of kindness
          and compassion - even if
          those "acts" are simply to
          encourage meditation as
          we attend to our own level
          of consciousness that is
          kind and compassionate.
          (Regular meditation is a
          great maintenance tool.)

          As Ramana Maharshi said,
          "Aspirants meditate to attain,
          and awakened meditate to maintain."

          As more people meditate to
          the depth of the heart stirring,
          the world moves toward global
          kindness, compassion, and
          environmental sensitivity.

          The powerfully simplistic
          mission of the Unity movement,
          "Peace on earth begins with me,"
          comes to mind.

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
            <bethjams9@...> wrote:

            > I don't think the minister was equating violence with action, you
            had given great examples of non violent action
            > I personally suffer from the guilt of non action at such a
            volitial time in history, the fact is I am caught up in the struggle
            for survival like everyone else. Ted you also gave agreat example of
            the politics of the middle east in the time of Jesus and how it
            parralels with whats happening now, the biggest difference is the
            amount of damage that can be done now compared to then. In one day we
            can kill what would have taken a year of constant warfare.
            > The damage we can do environmentally is hundreds of times greater
            than what we were able to do even during the industrial revolution, so
            purhaps I'm in the camp that feels that Right thought and Right speech
            are not enough
            > Then again I don't have a leg to stand on in this dept, between
            buisness and work and mortgages and kids and school I might have the
            energy to just go for a ride and drop it all for an hour or so.

            I share your guilt, Sean. I sit out here in the woods extremely
            isolated, mostly broke, and unable so far to find even a low paying
            job in this area I can work at. But truthfully, we should not have
            guilt. We do what we can do. How can we do what we can not do?

            Notice I said Peace starts at home. Doesn't end there. We actually
            make a difference in all we do if we begin to focus our lives and
            attitudes in the right direction. In this country we always have the
            power to vote. Not sure if it's "fixed" or not but it's something.
            Then there's letters to the editor (written in the right spirit, of
            course), sharing, and just living. The key is not to meet force with
            force but force with a type of yielding that re-directs. This is the
            message of all those folks I mentioned.

            The fact is, Sean, there's very little we can do as individuals to
            "change things," either end the war or stop violence or protect the
            environment. If we're participating in destruction somehow we can
            stop what we're doing, of course. There is an element of the Eight
            Fold Path that is totally ignored most of the time. It's Right Work
            (Livelihood). This element says that we must choose a profession that
            does no harm. Thus choosing a career is important and how we work at
            our job is also important. Every little thing has a consequence.

            Our town has a little "defense" plant. They build PC circuits for
            cruise missiles. What's the harm in slipping a chip onto a PC Board?
            Nothing if it's for a radio. But those PC boards go into devices that
            kill, usually indiscriminately. I could never work there. I even
            chide my wife some because she works at an personnel services company
            that hires and conducts initial training for those people at the
            plant. Where does "do no harm" begin? We have to answer that for
            ourselves.

            But, some would ask, how can I not do my job? That might mean lower
            pay, transitions, moving, loosing stuff, on and on. Is it fair?
            Should I do that? Christians quibble, rationalize, but the fact is
            that Jesus said, "sell it all and follow me." Likewise, Gautama would
            say, "what is fair? There is The Path or not the path." Yes, I'm a
            radical sometimes. I have always been one, actually. It has cost me
            a couple of well paying jobs. And I've never had anybody commend me
            for my ethics. I've been blasted for "blowing a good job" by being a
            "fanatic" about honesty. Such is life. I didn't write the morals, I
            just follow them. .... I digress...

            Most of us don't face this Right Livelihood dilemma. If we're doing
            all we know to do, buying "green" and living "green" and not
            supporting violence and have Right Livelihood then the problems are
            beyond us. They are being created by others who have not discovered
            the Truth we have discovered. To correct the problems requires them
            to change. This is where the "meditation and prayer" beginning comes in.

            The way we deal with others depends upon how we've learned to deal
            with ourselves, our family, and our faith. In the beginning all we
            can do is live Metta, loving kindness, compassion, towards all, no
            matter how they are returned. From there, when the time and place and
            opportunity presents itself we share truth (peace, environmental
            protection, etc) with those who are willing to listen. We waste our
            time and make enemies when we blast others with stuff when we know
            they disagree and won't listen. That's the whole problem with
            in-your-face evangelism.

            It's a long-term process. We make the choice to live Metta and love.
            In time, others recognize and are open to hearing why. Even more
            time will pass before any results will be seen in others--if we ever
            see it at all. This process is how the vast majority of us should
            live. We do and there's nothing for us to be guilty about.

            There are ways to do more. Some do a lot. Some enter politics, some
            are scientists, writers, etc. Some become "Gandhis." They can do more
            and they bear a greater responsibility. Less than that we can give
            when we have it or volunteer if it's possible.

            We should not feel guilt for the world. We cannot fix the world. We
            should not feel guilt for others. We cannot change others. We should
            not feel guilt for self. If there's something we're doing that is not
            productive then we change it. If we get new information about
            something we were doing that was not good, we stop doing it. If we
            are guilty then we are guilty by choice for we are doing something
            deliberately that we feel we should not do. If we're choosing to do
            something the guilt is silly. Anyway, that's what I think. What you
            think?

            Selah! haha

            Pseudoyen Ted

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
              Well Ted I decided to go back to school and eventualy study law.  I realized as long as I work with my body I will always be subject to the will and intent of those above me(harder to practice the ZRight Livelyhood.) Also I'm not gettting younger so it's time to movr on mentaly physicaly and spiritualy, I'll write more in depth later my hand is still bandanged and I'm all over the key board

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
                <bethjams9@...> wrote:

                > Well Ted I decided to go back to school and eventualy study law. I
                realized as long as I work with my body I will always be subject to
                the will and intent of those above me(harder to practice the ZRight
                Livelyhood.) Also I'm not gettting younger so it's time to movr on
                mentaly physicaly and spiritualy, I'll write more in depth later my
                hand is still bandanged and I'm all over the key board

                That's cool, Sean. I had actually enrolled in summer term but didn't
                get to go. First, didn't have the dough to get there. My mom got
                sick so our sitter option went south. Then I got some kind of muscle
                spasm problem in my shoulder that completely put me out of action for
                over a month. I'd like to get a Master's degree. Not sure if my
                fifty year old brain could do it though. Law is a field. Thought
                about that a couple decades ago. Took the pre-law exam, did well in
                two fields and so lousy in the third I didn't figure I could pull it off.

                Hope your hand gets better, dude.

                Ted