RE: [Meditation Society of America] Sharing, Caring, and The Buddha

  • Aideen McKenna
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007

      Thanks for both links, Ted.

      I love the way you talked about the functions of a belt.  Until quite recently, I was living in a “Bible Belt” & although I’ve found out that a Canadian Bible Belt is a flabby elastic band compared to those in your country, it seemed plenty tight & unpleasant enough.  I wrote frequent letters to the editors of the town’s 2 papers.  I don’t know whether they had any effect.  Sometimes I think that letters like yours & mine only serve to increase the paranoia, the siege mentality, of the people who only want to further tighten the belt.  So now & then, I’d give up the effort, but then there’d be another flare-up of hate disguised as Christianity & I’d find it too difficult to resist another written call for love & tolerance.  Like you, I have trouble keeping my mouth shut.  I’m not sure how much of that has to do with my own ego – maybe quite a lot.  On the other hand, surely one can’t just say nothing when the crazies are taking over the asylum…?  I dunno.  Anyway, yours was a dandy letter.

      Aideen

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
        Ego or not a wise man once said, all that it takes for evil to florish is for good men to do nothing.

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007

          Thanks for that, Sean.  I was vaguely searching my mind for that reference as I was typing, & it wouldn’t come to me.  I think it’s ignorance, rather than evil, that flourishes in areas like the Bible Belt valley where I lived for 18 years.  But evil did seem to be growing out of the ground prepared by ignorance.

          Aideen

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Aideen McKenna"
            <aideenmck@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for both links, Ted.
            >
            > I love the way you talked about the functions of a belt. Until quite
            > recently, I was living in a "Bible Belt" & although I've found out
            that a
            > Canadian Bible Belt is a flabby elastic band compared to those in your
            > country, it seemed plenty tight & unpleasant enough. I wrote frequent
            > letters to the editors of the town's 2 papers. I don't know whether
            they
            > had any effect. Sometimes I think that letters like yours & mine
            only serve
            > to increase the paranoia, the siege mentality, of the people who
            only want
            > to further tighten the belt. So now & then, I'd give up the effort, but
            > then there'd be another flare-up of hate disguised as Christianity & I'd
            > find it too difficult to resist another written call for love &
            tolerance.
            > Like you, I have trouble keeping my mouth shut. I'm not sure how
            much of
            > that has to do with my own ego – maybe quite a lot. On the other hand,
            > surely one can't just say nothing when the crazies are taking over the
            > asylum…? I dunno. Anyway, yours was a dandy letter.
            >
            > Aideen

            You're welcome, Aideen. The easiest way to grasp how people think
            around here is to listen to a few songs. For the "Bible Belt" bunch
            listen to a few "Old Time Gospel" songs. They live them. For the
            rest (who consider themselves either good Christians gone bad or
            backsliders) listen to some Merl Haggard or Tammy Wynette. I kid you
            not, folks. This place is weird and I have lived here all my life.
            lol Maybe that's why I'm so cracked myself. haha

            I've been shooting off letters to papers for decades. I doubt many of
            them made any difference. The ones I've shot off in the past few
            years have done a few things. One is that since people I used to go
            to church with read them (one of the editors of the paper is a
            high-school friend, one of the few I had, and member of an Assembly of
            God I visited!) I have gotten myself labeled as a liberal nut and
            completely fell from their good graces.

            Another thing I believe I might have helped accomplish is to get our
            county "wet," as in the legalization of alcohol. Until last November
            no alcoholic beverages were for sale here. Fundamentalists, of
            course, pulled out all the stops to keep it that way. But they showed
            their fundamentalist silliness. I was kind enough to point out the
            fallacy of their arguments. I really believe my letters had a little
            to do with the wet side winning. If my "liberalism" didn't shoot me
            down in the eyes of my old church friends those letters did.

            My letters against conservative politics got me accolades and won me
            the respect of quite a few teachers and principals at my kids' school.
            That helps in dealing with them.

            I'm just running on. The first letter printed this year actually
            contained a form of apology and a statement that I'd found a better way.

            The thing with the election, though, I believe it shook the religious
            community and brought an end to the domination of fundamentals which
            really has kept this place suppressed. It's still a very country kind
            of town but things are changing. The Red Neck isn't quite as bright
            as it used to be.

            I really used to dislike this town. Then I turned to The Way and I
            placed it up at the top of my prayer and meditation list. It's still
            a frustrating place but I'm leaning to appreciate it more. A friend
            wrote in a poem, "why is it people want to change where they are
            rather than change who they are." I paraphrase. How true.

            OK, 'nuff. You're right, too, it's probably vanity. Ecclesiastes,
            "vanity, vanity all is vanity!" lol

            Selah.

            Ted

            "http://www.freewebs.com/jingxinyuanmgc/dustingthemirror.htm"http://www.free

            etter_gresham.html"http://www.lufkinda-ilynews.com/-opin/content/-news/opini
            > on/-stories/2007/-9/2/letter_-gresham.html
            >
            > Alternately, visit www.lufkindailynews-.com , choose "Opinion" and then
            > the letter: LETTER: Cinching up the Bible belt
            >
            > The book of Philippians offers these words: "whatever is true,
            > whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is
            > lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or
            > praiseworthy—-think about such things." (NIV) Selah.

            > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            8/31/07 5:21
            > PM

            > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            > 12:59 PM

          • Ted
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
              <bethjams9@...> wrote:

              > Ego or not a wise man once said, all that it takes for evil to
              florish is for good men to do nothing.

              Sean, I used to have that quote on the header of a website I used to
              have up for an online publication I toyed with. A friend who leads a
              Sangha said once that the Sangha must find the balance between
              selflessness, forgiveness, etc., and when to give voice or make a
              stand for right. Something like that. Too many yell about the train
              but are not willing to stand in front of it. My inspiration for
              public action used to be John Wayne. Now it is Mahatma Gandhi. Or,
              of course, Jesus. It wasn't by going in with guns a'blazing but
              rather appearing to "loose" that they overcame. Love will triumph but
              only if we live it at all costs.

              > Aideen McKenna <aideenmck@...> wrote: Thanks for both
              links, Ted.
              > I love the way you talked about the functions of a belt. Until
              quite recently, I was living in a "Bible Belt" & although I've found
              out that a Canadian Bible Belt is a flabby elastic band compared to
              those in your country, it seemed plenty tight & unpleasant enough. I
              wrote frequent letters to the editors of the town's 2 papers. I don't
              know whether they had any effect. Sometimes I think that letters like
              yours & mine only serve to increase the paranoia, the siege mentality,
              of the people who only want to further tighten the belt. So now &
              then, I'd give up the effort, but then there'd be another flare-up of
              hate disguised as Christianity & I'd find it too difficult to resist
              another written call for love & tolerance. Like you, I have trouble
              keeping my mouth shut. I'm not sure how much of that has to do with
              my own ego – maybe quite a lot. On the other hand, surely one can't
              just say nothing when the crazies are taking over the asylum…? I
              dunno. Anyway, yours
              > was a dandy letter.
              > Aideen
              >

              > ---------------------------------

              8/31/07 5:21 PM

              > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              9/02/07 12:59 PM

              > ---------------------------------

            • sean tremblay
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
                I asked a methodist minister his take on pacifism and action, he talked about the story of Jesus and the money changers in the temple,  the ministry said that some offences are so great they just need to be stopped!
                Of course there are alot of things to take action on
                A two front war that is in the Bill$$$ and Thousands in los of life
                We have a planet on the verge of ecological disaster
                Pandemics
                the list goes on. and I have digressed from the point of this group wich is meditation

                Ted <txhandyman57@...> wrote:
                <bethjams9@. ..> wrote:

                > Ego or not a wise man once said, all that it takes for evil to
                florish is for good men to do nothing.

                Sean, I used to have that quote on the header of a website I used to
                have up for an online publication I toyed with. A friend who leads a
                Sangha said once that the Sangha must find the balance between
                selflessness, forgiveness, etc., and when to give voice or make a
                stand for right. Something like that. Too many yell about the train
                but are not willing to stand in front of it. My inspiration for
                public action used to be John Wayne. Now it is Mahatma Gandhi. Or,
                of course, Jesus. It wasn't by going in with guns a'blazing but
                rather appearing to "loose" that they overcame. Love will triumph but
                only if we live it at all costs.

                > Aideen McKenna <aideenmck@. ..> wrote: Thanks for both
                links, Ted.
                > I love the way you talked about the functions of a belt. Until
                quite recently, I was living in a "Bible Belt" & although I've found
                out that a Canadian Bible Belt is a flabby elastic band compared to
                those in your country, it seemed plenty tight & unpleasant enough. I
                wrote frequent letters to the editors of the town's 2 papers. I don't
                know whether they had any effect. Sometimes I think that letters like
                yours & mine only serve to increase the paranoia, the siege mentality,
                of the people who only want to further tighten the belt. So now &
                then, I'd give up the effort, but then there'd be another flare-up of
                hate disguised as Christianity & I'd find it too difficult to resist
                another written call for love & tolerance. Like you, I have trouble
                keeping my mouth shut. I'm not sure how much of that has to do with
                my own ego – maybe quite a lot. On the other hand, surely one can't
                just say nothing when the crazies are taking over the asylum…? I
                dunno. Anyway, yours
                > was a dandy letter.
                > Aideen
                >

                > ------------ --------- --------- ---

                8/31/07 5:21 PM

                > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                9/02/07 12:59 PM

                > ------------ --------- --------- ---

                Building a website is a piece of cake.

              • Ted
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
                  <bethjams9@...> wrote:

                  > I asked a methodist minister his take on pacifism and action, he
                  talked about the story of Jesus and the money changers in the temple,
                  the ministry said that some offences are so great they just need to
                  be stopped!
                  > Of course there are alot of things to take action on
                  > A two front war that is in the Bill$$$ and Thousands in los of life
                  > We have a planet on the verge of ecological disaster
                  > Pandemics
                  > the list goes on. and I have digressed from the point of this
                  group wich is meditation

                  Maybe we have digressed a bit but only if this discussion does not
                  find its way into contemplation, into the seeking, into the knowing
                  we're working on.

                  I used to be one of the most bellicose of Christians, "just war" and
                  all that. I am quite ashamed of those views I held. I am now an
                  exceptional pacifist. To that Methodist preacher I might once have
                  said, "right on" but now I would say, "sure, Jesus had authority,
                  understanding, and maybe the right to insist his own father's house
                  not be defiled." Then I might question the actual validity of those
                  "reports" in the gospels themselves.

                  Even that "was then." The question I've had to ask is where does
                  peace begin? It does not begin with legislation, with protests, with
                  marches, with talking heads or radio pundits or letters to the editor.
                  Peace begins right here in my room, in my meditation, in my prayer.
                  It begins in me. It begins in my family.

                  Twenty five hundred years ago a guy named Siddhartha Gautama gave up a
                  position as a prince with plenty of power to "fix" things and became a
                  wondering monk. He discovered the answer to human suffering was not
                  to raise a sword but to sit quietly counting breaths and releasing
                  everything that causes suffering.

                  Five hundred years later and a world away in the midst of a broiling
                  middle-east, Jews vs. Samaritans and both vs. Romans, there was much
                  to war about, complain about, rail about. All the while Jesus
                  wandered across fields and sat on seashores Romans were crucifying
                  Jews. Jesus could have easily led an insurrection. He didn't. He
                  taught ultimate humility.

                  A little over a half-century ago a scrawny little guy stood up to the
                  British Empire, walked barefoot across India and made salt by the sea.
                  A few decades later a little lady refused to get up in a bus. She,
                  like the salt-maker and the Jewish teacher and the ex-prince changed
                  history. It all came from the heart and it all began within those
                  individuals.

                  The way of Peace has never changed. Peace isn't a state of politics,
                  it's a place of the heart. So actually this discussion has everything
                  with meditation! Cool, huh?

                  Hey, all this deep thought while my family watches "Selina"! Biddy
                  Biddy Bambah!

                  > Ted <txhandyman57@...> wrote:
                  > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, sean
                  tremblay
                  > <bethjams9@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Ego or not a wise man once said, all that it takes for evil to
                  > florish is for good men to do nothing.
                  >
                  > Sean, I used to have that quote on the header of a website I used to
                  > have up for an online publication I toyed with. A friend who leads a
                  > Sangha said once that the Sangha must find the balance between
                  > selflessness, forgiveness, etc., and when to give voice or make a
                  > stand for right. Something like that. Too many yell about the train
                  > but are not willing to stand in front of it. My inspiration for
                  > public action used to be John Wayne. Now it is Mahatma Gandhi. Or,
                  > of course, Jesus. It wasn't by going in with guns a'blazing but
                  > rather appearing to "loose" that they overcame. Love will triumph but
                  > only if we live it at all costs.
                  >

                  > > Aideen McKenna <aideenmck@> wrote: Thanks for both
                  > links, Ted.
                  > > I love the way you talked about the functions of a belt. Until
                  > quite recently, I was living in a "Bible Belt" & although I've found
                  > out that a Canadian Bible Belt is a flabby elastic band compared to
                  > those in your country, it seemed plenty tight & unpleasant enough. I
                  > wrote frequent letters to the editors of the town's 2 papers. I don't
                  > know whether they had any effect. Sometimes I think that letters like
                  > yours & mine only serve to increase the paranoia, the siege mentality,
                  > of the people who only want to further tighten the belt. So now &
                  > then, I'd give up the effort, but then there'd be another flare-up of
                  > hate disguised as Christianity & I'd find it too difficult to resist
                  > another written call for love & tolerance. Like you, I have trouble
                  > keeping my mouth shut. I'm not sure how much of that has to do with
                  > my own ego – maybe quite a lot. On the other hand, surely one can't
                  > just say nothing when the crazies are taking over the asylum…? I
                  > dunno. Anyway, yours
                  > > was a dandy letter.
                  > > Aideen
                  > >

                  > > ---------------------------------

                • sean tremblay
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
                    I don't think the minister was equating violence with action, you had given great examples of non violent action
                    I personally suffer from the guilt of non action at such a volitial time in history, the fact is I am caught up in the struggle for survival like everyone else. Ted you also gave agreat example of the politics of the middle east in the time of Jesus and how it parralels with whats happening now, the biggest difference is the amount of damage that can be done now compared to then. In one day we can kill what would have taken a year of constant warfare.
                    The damage we can do environmentaly is hundreds of times greater than what we were able to do even during the industrial revolution, so purhaps I'm in the camp that feels that Right thought and Right speech are not enough
                    Then again I don't have a leg to stand on in this dept, between buisness and work and mortgages and kids and school I might have the energy to just go for a ride and drop it all for an hour or so.

                    Ted <txhandyman57@...> wrote:
                    <bethjams9@. ..> wrote:

> [...]

                    > out that a Canadian Bible Belt is a flabby elastic band compared to
                    > those in your country, it seemed plenty tight & unpleasant enough. I
                    > wrote frequent letters to the editors of the town's 2 papers. I don't
                    > know whether they had any effect. Sometimes I think that letters like
                    > yours & mine only serve to increase the paranoia, the siege mentality,
                    > of the people who only want to further tighten the belt. So now &
                    > then, I'd give up the effort, but then there'd be another flare-up of
                    > hate disguised as Christianity & I'd find it too difficult to resist
                    > another written call for love & tolerance. Like you, I have trouble
                    > keeping my mouth shut. I'm not sure how much of that has to do with
                    > my own ego – maybe quite a lot. On the other hand, surely one can't
                    > just say nothing when the crazies are taking over the asylum…? I

                    Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.

                  • Jeff Belyea
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
                      The value of meditation,
                      or the act of meditating,
                      may be seen as too passive
                      in light of the overt and
                      obvious damage of warfare
                      and environmental neglect
                      and exploitation, but...

                      Meditation as a means to
                      an end; that is, a loving
                      kindness and compassion
                      that comes from the heart
                      rather than an intellectual
                      "wish" that we were more
                      kind and globally compassionate,
                      can provoke us and bring us
                      to action. This (meditation)
                      is often a necessary and
                      critical first step.

                      As meditation moves us to
                      the heart level, and then
                      the heart and mind level,
                      we move with a "choiceless
                      obligation" to be more
                      involved in act of kindness
                      and compassion - even if
                      those "acts" are simply to
                      encourage meditation as
                      we attend to our own level
                      of consciousness that is
                      kind and compassionate.
                      (Regular meditation is a
                      great maintenance tool.)

                      As Ramana Maharshi said,
                      "Aspirants meditate to attain,
                      and awakened meditate to maintain."

                      As more people meditate to
                      the depth of the heart stirring,
                      the world moves toward global
                      kindness, compassion, and
                      environmental sensitivity.

                      The powerfully simplistic
                      mission of the Unity movement,
                      "Peace on earth begins with me,"
                      comes to mind.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
                        <bethjams9@...> wrote:

                        > I don't think the minister was equating violence with action, you
                        had given great examples of non violent action
                        > I personally suffer from the guilt of non action at such a
                        volitial time in history, the fact is I am caught up in the struggle
                        for survival like everyone else. Ted you also gave agreat example of
                        the politics of the middle east in the time of Jesus and how it
                        parralels with whats happening now, the biggest difference is the
                        amount of damage that can be done now compared to then. In one day we
                        can kill what would have taken a year of constant warfare.
                        > The damage we can do environmentally is hundreds of times greater
                        than what we were able to do even during the industrial revolution, so
                        purhaps I'm in the camp that feels that Right thought and Right speech
                        are not enough
                        > Then again I don't have a leg to stand on in this dept, between
                        buisness and work and mortgages and kids and school I might have the
                        energy to just go for a ride and drop it all for an hour or so.

                        I share your guilt, Sean. I sit out here in the woods extremely
                        isolated, mostly broke, and unable so far to find even a low paying
                        job in this area I can work at. But truthfully, we should not have
                        guilt. We do what we can do. How can we do what we can not do?

                        Notice I said Peace starts at home. Doesn't end there. We actually
                        make a difference in all we do if we begin to focus our lives and
                        attitudes in the right direction. In this country we always have the
                        power to vote. Not sure if it's "fixed" or not but it's something.
                        Then there's letters to the editor (written in the right spirit, of
                        course), sharing, and just living. The key is not to meet force with
                        force but force with a type of yielding that re-directs. This is the
                        message of all those folks I mentioned.

                        The fact is, Sean, there's very little we can do as individuals to
                        "change things," either end the war or stop violence or protect the
                        environment. If we're participating in destruction somehow we can
                        stop what we're doing, of course. There is an element of the Eight
                        Fold Path that is totally ignored most of the time. It's Right Work
                        (Livelihood). This element says that we must choose a profession that
                        does no harm. Thus choosing a career is important and how we work at
                        our job is also important. Every little thing has a consequence.

                        Our town has a little "defense" plant. They build PC circuits for
                        cruise missiles. What's the harm in slipping a chip onto a PC Board?
                        Nothing if it's for a radio. But those PC boards go into devices that
                        kill, usually indiscriminately. I could never work there. I even
                        chide my wife some because she works at an personnel services company
                        that hires and conducts initial training for those people at the
                        plant. Where does "do no harm" begin? We have to answer that for
                        ourselves.

                        But, some would ask, how can I not do my job? That might mean lower
                        pay, transitions, moving, loosing stuff, on and on. Is it fair?
                        Should I do that? Christians quibble, rationalize, but the fact is
                        that Jesus said, "sell it all and follow me." Likewise, Gautama would
                        say, "what is fair? There is The Path or not the path." Yes, I'm a
                        radical sometimes. I have always been one, actually. It has cost me
                        a couple of well paying jobs. And I've never had anybody commend me
                        for my ethics. I've been blasted for "blowing a good job" by being a
                        "fanatic" about honesty. Such is life. I didn't write the morals, I
                        just follow them. .... I digress...

                        Most of us don't face this Right Livelihood dilemma. If we're doing
                        all we know to do, buying "green" and living "green" and not
                        supporting violence and have Right Livelihood then the problems are
                        beyond us. They are being created by others who have not discovered
                        the Truth we have discovered. To correct the problems requires them
                        to change. This is where the "meditation and prayer" beginning comes in.

                        The way we deal with others depends upon how we've learned to deal
                        with ourselves, our family, and our faith. In the beginning all we
                        can do is live Metta, loving kindness, compassion, towards all, no
                        matter how they are returned. From there, when the time and place and
                        opportunity presents itself we share truth (peace, environmental
                        protection, etc) with those who are willing to listen. We waste our
                        time and make enemies when we blast others with stuff when we know
                        they disagree and won't listen. That's the whole problem with
                        in-your-face evangelism.

                        It's a long-term process. We make the choice to live Metta and love.
                        In time, others recognize and are open to hearing why. Even more
                        time will pass before any results will be seen in others--if we ever
                        see it at all. This process is how the vast majority of us should
                        live. We do and there's nothing for us to be guilty about.

                        There are ways to do more. Some do a lot. Some enter politics, some
                        are scientists, writers, etc. Some become "Gandhis." They can do more
                        and they bear a greater responsibility. Less than that we can give
                        when we have it or volunteer if it's possible.

                        We should not feel guilt for the world. We cannot fix the world. We
                        should not feel guilt for others. We cannot change others. We should
                        not feel guilt for self. If there's something we're doing that is not
                        productive then we change it. If we get new information about
                        something we were doing that was not good, we stop doing it. If we
                        are guilty then we are guilty by choice for we are doing something
                        deliberately that we feel we should not do. If we're choosing to do
                        something the guilt is silly. Anyway, that's what I think. What you
                        think?

                        Selah! haha

                        Pseudoyen Ted

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
                          Well Ted I decided to go back to school and eventualy study law.  I realized as long as I work with my body I will always be subject to the will and intent of those above me(harder to practice the ZRight Livelyhood.) Also I'm not gettting younger so it's time to movr on mentaly physicaly and spiritualy, I'll write more in depth later my hand is still bandanged and I'm all over the key board

                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
                            <bethjams9@...> wrote:

                            > Well Ted I decided to go back to school and eventualy study law. I
                            realized as long as I work with my body I will always be subject to
                            the will and intent of those above me(harder to practice the ZRight
                            Livelyhood.) Also I'm not gettting younger so it's time to movr on
                            mentaly physicaly and spiritualy, I'll write more in depth later my
                            hand is still bandanged and I'm all over the key board

                            That's cool, Sean. I had actually enrolled in summer term but didn't
                            get to go. First, didn't have the dough to get there. My mom got
                            sick so our sitter option went south. Then I got some kind of muscle
                            spasm problem in my shoulder that completely put me out of action for
                            over a month. I'd like to get a Master's degree. Not sure if my
                            fifty year old brain could do it though. Law is a field. Thought
                            about that a couple decades ago. Took the pre-law exam, did well in
                            two fields and so lousy in the third I didn't figure I could pull it off.

                            Hope your hand gets better, dude.

                            Ted