Sharing, Caring, and The Buddha

  • Ted
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
      Greetings all!

      I have recently become acquainted with a teacher on the Facebook
      Sangha named Lin Zi Quan who has written some exemplary works. One of
      them, entitled "Clearing the Misconceptions," that provides some
      wonderful insight into Buddhism. This article is found here:

      http://www.freewebs.com/jingxinyuanmgc/dustingthemirror.htm

      This person has a Taoist/Buddhist background and great insight. Enjoy!

      Second item:

      A letter I wrote to our local newspaper, the Lufkin Daily News, was
      printed today. I wish to share this letter. I would also like to ask
      what you all think of the propriety of writing letters such as this
      might be and if any have written to your local paper.

      Find the letter here:

      http://www.lufkindailynews.com/opin/content/news/opinion/stories/2007/9/2/letter_gresham.html

      Alternately, visit www.lufkindailynews.com , choose "Opinion" and then
      the letter: LETTER: Cinching up the Bible belt

      The book of Philippians offers these words: "whatever is true,
      whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is
      lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or
      praiseworthy—think about such things." (NIV) Selah.
    • Aideen McKenna
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007

        Thanks for both links, Ted.

        I love the way you talked about the functions of a belt.  Until quite recently, I was living in a “Bible Belt” & although I’ve found out that a Canadian Bible Belt is a flabby elastic band compared to those in your country, it seemed plenty tight & unpleasant enough.  I wrote frequent letters to the editors of the town’s 2 papers.  I don’t know whether they had any effect.  Sometimes I think that letters like yours & mine only serve to increase the paranoia, the siege mentality, of the people who only want to further tighten the belt.  So now & then, I’d give up the effort, but then there’d be another flare-up of hate disguised as Christianity & I’d find it too difficult to resist another written call for love & tolerance.  Like you, I have trouble keeping my mouth shut.  I’m not sure how much of that has to do with my own ego – maybe quite a lot.  On the other hand, surely one can’t just say nothing when the crazies are taking over the asylum…?  I dunno.  Anyway, yours was a dandy letter.

        Aideen

[...]

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

      • sean tremblay
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
          Ego or not a wise man once said, all that it takes for evil to florish is for good men to do nothing.

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007

            Thanks for that, Sean.  I was vaguely searching my mind for that reference as I was typing, & it wouldn’t come to me.  I think it’s ignorance, rather than evil, that flourishes in areas like the Bible Belt valley where I lived for 18 years.  But evil did seem to be growing out of the ground prepared by ignorance.

            Aideen

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
              --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Aideen McKenna"
              <aideenmck@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for both links, Ted.
              >
              > I love the way you talked about the functions of a belt. Until quite
              > recently, I was living in a "Bible Belt" & although I've found out
              that a
              > Canadian Bible Belt is a flabby elastic band compared to those in your
              > country, it seemed plenty tight & unpleasant enough. I wrote frequent
              > letters to the editors of the town's 2 papers. I don't know whether
              they
              > had any effect. Sometimes I think that letters like yours & mine
              only serve
              > to increase the paranoia, the siege mentality, of the people who
              only want
              > to further tighten the belt. So now & then, I'd give up the effort, but
              > then there'd be another flare-up of hate disguised as Christianity & I'd
              > find it too difficult to resist another written call for love &
              tolerance.
              > Like you, I have trouble keeping my mouth shut. I'm not sure how
              much of
              > that has to do with my own ego – maybe quite a lot. On the other hand,
              > surely one can't just say nothing when the crazies are taking over the
              > asylum…? I dunno. Anyway, yours was a dandy letter.
              >
              > Aideen

              You're welcome, Aideen. The easiest way to grasp how people think
              around here is to listen to a few songs. For the "Bible Belt" bunch
              listen to a few "Old Time Gospel" songs. They live them. For the
              rest (who consider themselves either good Christians gone bad or
              backsliders) listen to some Merl Haggard or Tammy Wynette. I kid you
              not, folks. This place is weird and I have lived here all my life.
              lol Maybe that's why I'm so cracked myself. haha

              I've been shooting off letters to papers for decades. I doubt many of
              them made any difference. The ones I've shot off in the past few
              years have done a few things. One is that since people I used to go
              to church with read them (one of the editors of the paper is a
              high-school friend, one of the few I had, and member of an Assembly of
              God I visited!) I have gotten myself labeled as a liberal nut and
              completely fell from their good graces.

              Another thing I believe I might have helped accomplish is to get our
              county "wet," as in the legalization of alcohol. Until last November
              no alcoholic beverages were for sale here. Fundamentalists, of
              course, pulled out all the stops to keep it that way. But they showed
              their fundamentalist silliness. I was kind enough to point out the
              fallacy of their arguments. I really believe my letters had a little
              to do with the wet side winning. If my "liberalism" didn't shoot me
              down in the eyes of my old church friends those letters did.

              My letters against conservative politics got me accolades and won me
              the respect of quite a few teachers and principals at my kids' school.
              That helps in dealing with them.

              I'm just running on. The first letter printed this year actually
              contained a form of apology and a statement that I'd found a better way.

              The thing with the election, though, I believe it shook the religious
              community and brought an end to the domination of fundamentals which
              really has kept this place suppressed. It's still a very country kind
              of town but things are changing. The Red Neck isn't quite as bright
              as it used to be.

              I really used to dislike this town. Then I turned to The Way and I
              placed it up at the top of my prayer and meditation list. It's still
              a frustrating place but I'm leaning to appreciate it more. A friend
              wrote in a poem, "why is it people want to change where they are
              rather than change who they are." I paraphrase. How true.

              OK, 'nuff. You're right, too, it's probably vanity. Ecclesiastes,
              "vanity, vanity all is vanity!" lol

              Selah.

              Ted

              "http://www.freewebs.com/jingxinyuanmgc/dustingthemirror.htm"http://www.free

              etter_gresham.html"http://www.lufkinda-ilynews.com/-opin/content/-news/opini
              > on/-stories/2007/-9/2/letter_-gresham.html
              >
              > Alternately, visit www.lufkindailynews-.com , choose "Opinion" and then
              > the letter: LETTER: Cinching up the Bible belt
              >
              > The book of Philippians offers these words: "whatever is true,
              > whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is
              > lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or
              > praiseworthy—-think about such things." (NIV) Selah.

              > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              8/31/07 5:21
              > PM

              > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              > 12:59 PM

            • Ted
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
                <bethjams9@...> wrote:

                > Ego or not a wise man once said, all that it takes for evil to
                florish is for good men to do nothing.

                Sean, I used to have that quote on the header of a website I used to
                have up for an online publication I toyed with. A friend who leads a
                Sangha said once that the Sangha must find the balance between
                selflessness, forgiveness, etc., and when to give voice or make a
                stand for right. Something like that. Too many yell about the train
                but are not willing to stand in front of it. My inspiration for
                public action used to be John Wayne. Now it is Mahatma Gandhi. Or,
                of course, Jesus. It wasn't by going in with guns a'blazing but
                rather appearing to "loose" that they overcame. Love will triumph but
                only if we live it at all costs.

                > Aideen McKenna <aideenmck@...> wrote: Thanks for both
                links, Ted.
                > I love the way you talked about the functions of a belt. Until
                quite recently, I was living in a "Bible Belt" & although I've found
                out that a Canadian Bible Belt is a flabby elastic band compared to
                those in your country, it seemed plenty tight & unpleasant enough. I
                wrote frequent letters to the editors of the town's 2 papers. I don't
                know whether they had any effect. Sometimes I think that letters like
                yours & mine only serve to increase the paranoia, the siege mentality,
                of the people who only want to further tighten the belt. So now &
                then, I'd give up the effort, but then there'd be another flare-up of
                hate disguised as Christianity & I'd find it too difficult to resist
                another written call for love & tolerance. Like you, I have trouble
                keeping my mouth shut. I'm not sure how much of that has to do with
                my own ego – maybe quite a lot. On the other hand, surely one can't
                just say nothing when the crazies are taking over the asylum…? I
                dunno. Anyway, yours
                > was a dandy letter.
                > Aideen
                >

                > ---------------------------------

                8/31/07 5:21 PM

                > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                9/02/07 12:59 PM

                > ---------------------------------

              • sean tremblay
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
                  I asked a methodist minister his take on pacifism and action, he talked about the story of Jesus and the money changers in the temple,  the ministry said that some offences are so great they just need to be stopped!
                  Of course there are alot of things to take action on
                  A two front war that is in the Bill$$$ and Thousands in los of life
                  We have a planet on the verge of ecological disaster
                  Pandemics
                  the list goes on. and I have digressed from the point of this group wich is meditation

                  Ted <txhandyman57@...> wrote:
                  <bethjams9@. ..> wrote:

                  > Ego or not a wise man once said, all that it takes for evil to
                  florish is for good men to do nothing.

                  Sean, I used to have that quote on the header of a website I used to
                  have up for an online publication I toyed with. A friend who leads a
                  Sangha said once that the Sangha must find the balance between
                  selflessness, forgiveness, etc., and when to give voice or make a
                  stand for right. Something like that. Too many yell about the train
                  but are not willing to stand in front of it. My inspiration for
                  public action used to be John Wayne. Now it is Mahatma Gandhi. Or,
                  of course, Jesus. It wasn't by going in with guns a'blazing but
                  rather appearing to "loose" that they overcame. Love will triumph but
                  only if we live it at all costs.

                  > Aideen McKenna <aideenmck@. ..> wrote: Thanks for both
                  links, Ted.
                  > I love the way you talked about the functions of a belt. Until
                  quite recently, I was living in a "Bible Belt" & although I've found
                  out that a Canadian Bible Belt is a flabby elastic band compared to
                  those in your country, it seemed plenty tight & unpleasant enough. I
                  wrote frequent letters to the editors of the town's 2 papers. I don't
                  know whether they had any effect. Sometimes I think that letters like
                  yours & mine only serve to increase the paranoia, the siege mentality,
                  of the people who only want to further tighten the belt. So now &
                  then, I'd give up the effort, but then there'd be another flare-up of
                  hate disguised as Christianity & I'd find it too difficult to resist
                  another written call for love & tolerance. Like you, I have trouble
                  keeping my mouth shut. I'm not sure how much of that has to do with
                  my own ego – maybe quite a lot. On the other hand, surely one can't
                  just say nothing when the crazies are taking over the asylum…? I
                  dunno. Anyway, yours
                  > was a dandy letter.
                  > Aideen
                  >

                  > ------------ --------- --------- ---

                  8/31/07 5:21 PM

                  > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                  9/02/07 12:59 PM

                  > ------------ --------- --------- ---

                  Building a website is a piece of cake.

                • Ted
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 2, 2007
                    <bethjams9@...> wrote:

                    > I asked a methodist minister his take on pacifism and action, he
                    talked about the story of Jesus and the money changers in the temple,
                    the ministry said that some offences are so great they just need to
                    be stopped!
                    > Of course there are alot of things to take action on
                    > A two front war that is in the Bill$$$ and Thousands in los of life
                    > We have a planet on the verge of ecological disaster
                    > Pandemics
                    > the list goes on. and I have digressed from the point of this
                    group wich is meditation

                    Maybe we have digressed a bit but only if this discussion does not
                    find its way into contemplation, into the seeking, into the knowing
                    we're working on.

                    I used to be one of the most bellicose of Christians, "just war" and
                    all that. I am quite ashamed of those views I held. I am now an
                    exceptional pacifist. To that Methodist preacher I might once have
                    said, "right on" but now I would say, "sure, Jesus had authority,
                    understanding, and maybe the right to insist his own father's house
                    not be defiled." Then I might question the actual validity of those
                    "reports" in the gospels themselves.

                    Even that "was then." The question I've had to ask is where does
                    peace begin? It does not begin with legislation, with protests, with
                    marches, with talking heads or radio pundits or letters to the editor.
                    Peace begins right here in my room, in my meditation, in my prayer.
                    It begins in me. It begins in my family.

                    Twenty five hundred years ago a guy named Siddhartha Gautama gave up a
                    position as a prince with plenty of power to "fix" things and became a
                    wondering monk. He discovered the answer to human suffering was not
                    to raise a sword but to sit quietly counting breaths and releasing
                    everything that causes suffering.

                    Five hundred years later and a world away in the midst of a broiling
                    middle-east, Jews vs. Samaritans and both vs. Romans, there was much
                    to war about, complain about, rail about. All the while Jesus
                    wandered across fields and sat on seashores Romans were crucifying
                    Jews. Jesus could have easily led an insurrection. He didn't. He
                    taught ultimate humility.

                    A little over a half-century ago a scrawny little guy stood up to the
                    British Empire, walked barefoot across India and made salt by the sea.
                    A few decades later a little lady refused to get up in a bus. She,
                    like the salt-maker and the Jewish teacher and the ex-prince changed
                    history. It all came from the heart and it all began within those
                    individuals.

                    The way of Peace has never changed. Peace isn't a state of politics,
                    it's a place of the heart. So actually this discussion has everything
                    with meditation! Cool, huh?

                    Hey, all this deep thought while my family watches "Selina"! Biddy
                    Biddy Bambah!

                    > Ted <txhandyman57@...> wrote:
                    > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, sean
                    tremblay
                    > <bethjams9@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Ego or not a wise man once said, all that it takes for evil to
                    > florish is for good men to do nothing.
                    >
                    > Sean, I used to have that quote on the header of a website I used to
                    > have up for an online publication I toyed with. A friend who leads a
                    > Sangha said once that the Sangha must find the balance between
                    > selflessness, forgiveness, etc., and when to give voice or make a
                    > stand for right. Something like that. Too many yell about the train
                    > but are not willing to stand in front of it. My inspiration for
                    > public action used to be John Wayne. Now it is Mahatma Gandhi. Or,
                    > of course, Jesus. It wasn't by going in with guns a'blazing but
                    > rather appearing to "loose" that they overcame. Love will triumph but
                    > only if we live it at all costs.
                    >

                    > > Aideen McKenna <aideenmck@> wrote: Thanks for both
                    > links, Ted.
                    > > I love the way you talked about the functions of a belt. Until
                    > quite recently, I was living in a "Bible Belt" & although I've found
                    > out that a Canadian Bible Belt is a flabby elastic band compared to
                    > those in your country, it seemed plenty tight & unpleasant enough. I
                    > wrote frequent letters to the editors of the town's 2 papers. I don't
                    > know whether they had any effect. Sometimes I think that letters like
                    > yours & mine only serve to increase the paranoia, the siege mentality,
                    > of the people who only want to further tighten the belt. So now &
                    > then, I'd give up the effort, but then there'd be another flare-up of
                    > hate disguised as Christianity & I'd find it too difficult to resist
                    > another written call for love & tolerance. Like you, I have trouble
                    > keeping my mouth shut. I'm not sure how much of that has to do with
                    > my own ego – maybe quite a lot. On the other hand, surely one can't
                    > just say nothing when the crazies are taking over the asylum…? I
                    > dunno. Anyway, yours
                    > > was a dandy letter.
                    > > Aideen
                    > >

                    > > ---------------------------------

                  • sean tremblay
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
                      I don't think the minister was equating violence with action, you had given great examples of non violent action
                      I personally suffer from the guilt of non action at such a volitial time in history, the fact is I am caught up in the struggle for survival like everyone else. Ted you also gave agreat example of the politics of the middle east in the time of Jesus and how it parralels with whats happening now, the biggest difference is the amount of damage that can be done now compared to then. In one day we can kill what would have taken a year of constant warfare.
                      The damage we can do environmentaly is hundreds of times greater than what we were able to do even during the industrial revolution, so purhaps I'm in the camp that feels that Right thought and Right speech are not enough
                      Then again I don't have a leg to stand on in this dept, between buisness and work and mortgages and kids and school I might have the energy to just go for a ride and drop it all for an hour or so.

                      Ted <txhandyman57@...> wrote:
                      <bethjams9@. ..> wrote:

> [...]

                      > out that a Canadian Bible Belt is a flabby elastic band compared to
                      > those in your country, it seemed plenty tight & unpleasant enough. I
                      > wrote frequent letters to the editors of the town's 2 papers. I don't
                      > know whether they had any effect. Sometimes I think that letters like
                      > yours & mine only serve to increase the paranoia, the siege mentality,
                      > of the people who only want to further tighten the belt. So now &
                      > then, I'd give up the effort, but then there'd be another flare-up of
                      > hate disguised as Christianity & I'd find it too difficult to resist
                      > another written call for love & tolerance. Like you, I have trouble
                      > keeping my mouth shut. I'm not sure how much of that has to do with
                      > my own ego – maybe quite a lot. On the other hand, surely one can't
                      > just say nothing when the crazies are taking over the asylum…? I

                      Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.

                    • Jeff Belyea
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
                        The value of meditation,
                        or the act of meditating,
                        may be seen as too passive
                        in light of the overt and
                        obvious damage of warfare
                        and environmental neglect
                        and exploitation, but...

                        Meditation as a means to
                        an end; that is, a loving
                        kindness and compassion
                        that comes from the heart
                        rather than an intellectual
                        "wish" that we were more
                        kind and globally compassionate,
                        can provoke us and bring us
                        to action. This (meditation)
                        is often a necessary and
                        critical first step.

                        As meditation moves us to
                        the heart level, and then
                        the heart and mind level,
                        we move with a "choiceless
                        obligation" to be more
                        involved in act of kindness
                        and compassion - even if
                        those "acts" are simply to
                        encourage meditation as
                        we attend to our own level
                        of consciousness that is
                        kind and compassionate.
                        (Regular meditation is a
                        great maintenance tool.)

                        As Ramana Maharshi said,
                        "Aspirants meditate to attain,
                        and awakened meditate to maintain."

                        As more people meditate to
                        the depth of the heart stirring,
                        the world moves toward global
                        kindness, compassion, and
                        environmental sensitivity.

                        The powerfully simplistic
                        mission of the Unity movement,
                        "Peace on earth begins with me,"
                        comes to mind.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
                          <bethjams9@...> wrote:

                          > I don't think the minister was equating violence with action, you
                          had given great examples of non violent action
                          > I personally suffer from the guilt of non action at such a
                          volitial time in history, the fact is I am caught up in the struggle
                          for survival like everyone else. Ted you also gave agreat example of
                          the politics of the middle east in the time of Jesus and how it
                          parralels with whats happening now, the biggest difference is the
                          amount of damage that can be done now compared to then. In one day we
                          can kill what would have taken a year of constant warfare.
                          > The damage we can do environmentally is hundreds of times greater
                          than what we were able to do even during the industrial revolution, so
                          purhaps I'm in the camp that feels that Right thought and Right speech
                          are not enough
                          > Then again I don't have a leg to stand on in this dept, between
                          buisness and work and mortgages and kids and school I might have the
                          energy to just go for a ride and drop it all for an hour or so.

                          I share your guilt, Sean. I sit out here in the woods extremely
                          isolated, mostly broke, and unable so far to find even a low paying
                          job in this area I can work at. But truthfully, we should not have
                          guilt. We do what we can do. How can we do what we can not do?

                          Notice I said Peace starts at home. Doesn't end there. We actually
                          make a difference in all we do if we begin to focus our lives and
                          attitudes in the right direction. In this country we always have the
                          power to vote. Not sure if it's "fixed" or not but it's something.
                          Then there's letters to the editor (written in the right spirit, of
                          course), sharing, and just living. The key is not to meet force with
                          force but force with a type of yielding that re-directs. This is the
                          message of all those folks I mentioned.

                          The fact is, Sean, there's very little we can do as individuals to
                          "change things," either end the war or stop violence or protect the
                          environment. If we're participating in destruction somehow we can
                          stop what we're doing, of course. There is an element of the Eight
                          Fold Path that is totally ignored most of the time. It's Right Work
                          (Livelihood). This element says that we must choose a profession that
                          does no harm. Thus choosing a career is important and how we work at
                          our job is also important. Every little thing has a consequence.

                          Our town has a little "defense" plant. They build PC circuits for
                          cruise missiles. What's the harm in slipping a chip onto a PC Board?
                          Nothing if it's for a radio. But those PC boards go into devices that
                          kill, usually indiscriminately. I could never work there. I even
                          chide my wife some because she works at an personnel services company
                          that hires and conducts initial training for those people at the
                          plant. Where does "do no harm" begin? We have to answer that for
                          ourselves.

                          But, some would ask, how can I not do my job? That might mean lower
                          pay, transitions, moving, loosing stuff, on and on. Is it fair?
                          Should I do that? Christians quibble, rationalize, but the fact is
                          that Jesus said, "sell it all and follow me." Likewise, Gautama would
                          say, "what is fair? There is The Path or not the path." Yes, I'm a
                          radical sometimes. I have always been one, actually. It has cost me
                          a couple of well paying jobs. And I've never had anybody commend me
                          for my ethics. I've been blasted for "blowing a good job" by being a
                          "fanatic" about honesty. Such is life. I didn't write the morals, I
                          just follow them. .... I digress...

                          Most of us don't face this Right Livelihood dilemma. If we're doing
                          all we know to do, buying "green" and living "green" and not
                          supporting violence and have Right Livelihood then the problems are
                          beyond us. They are being created by others who have not discovered
                          the Truth we have discovered. To correct the problems requires them
                          to change. This is where the "meditation and prayer" beginning comes in.

                          The way we deal with others depends upon how we've learned to deal
                          with ourselves, our family, and our faith. In the beginning all we
                          can do is live Metta, loving kindness, compassion, towards all, no
                          matter how they are returned. From there, when the time and place and
                          opportunity presents itself we share truth (peace, environmental
                          protection, etc) with those who are willing to listen. We waste our
                          time and make enemies when we blast others with stuff when we know
                          they disagree and won't listen. That's the whole problem with
                          in-your-face evangelism.

                          It's a long-term process. We make the choice to live Metta and love.
                          In time, others recognize and are open to hearing why. Even more
                          time will pass before any results will be seen in others--if we ever
                          see it at all. This process is how the vast majority of us should
                          live. We do and there's nothing for us to be guilty about.

                          There are ways to do more. Some do a lot. Some enter politics, some
                          are scientists, writers, etc. Some become "Gandhis." They can do more
                          and they bear a greater responsibility. Less than that we can give
                          when we have it or volunteer if it's possible.

                          We should not feel guilt for the world. We cannot fix the world. We
                          should not feel guilt for others. We cannot change others. We should
                          not feel guilt for self. If there's something we're doing that is not
                          productive then we change it. If we get new information about
                          something we were doing that was not good, we stop doing it. If we
                          are guilty then we are guilty by choice for we are doing something
                          deliberately that we feel we should not do. If we're choosing to do
                          something the guilt is silly. Anyway, that's what I think. What you
                          think?

                          Selah! haha

                          Pseudoyen Ted

                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
                            Well Ted I decided to go back to school and eventualy study law.  I realized as long as I work with my body I will always be subject to the will and intent of those above me(harder to practice the ZRight Livelyhood.) Also I'm not gettting younger so it's time to movr on mentaly physicaly and spiritualy, I'll write more in depth later my hand is still bandanged and I'm all over the key board

                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 3, 2007
                              <bethjams9@...> wrote:

                              > Well Ted I decided to go back to school and eventualy study law. I
                              realized as long as I work with my body I will always be subject to
                              the will and intent of those above me(harder to practice the ZRight
                              Livelyhood.) Also I'm not gettting younger so it's time to movr on
                              mentaly physicaly and spiritualy, I'll write more in depth later my
                              hand is still bandanged and I'm all over the key board

                              That's cool, Sean. I had actually enrolled in summer term but didn't
                              get to go. First, didn't have the dough to get there. My mom got
                              sick so our sitter option went south. Then I got some kind of muscle
                              spasm problem in my shoulder that completely put me out of action for
                              over a month. I'd like to get a Master's degree. Not sure if my
                              fifty year old brain could do it though. Law is a field. Thought
                              about that a couple decades ago. Took the pre-law exam, did well in
                              two fields and so lousy in the third I didn't figure I could pull it off.

                              Hope your hand gets better, dude.

                              Ted