Re: Useful Lines (found on a Taoist website about 5 years ago)

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2007
      "aideenmck" <aideenmck@...> wrote:

      > Observe your thoughts, for they become words.
      > Choose your words, for they become acts.
      > Understand your acts, for they become habits.
      > Study your habits, for they become your character.
      > Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny.
      >
      > Aideen

      Yo Aideen,
      Thanks for sharing this. It reminded me of
      one of my favorite Swami Sivananda sayings
      that went something like:
      "Before any actions, there are words, and before
      any words there are thoughts. Witness your thoughts
      and you will have control over your words and your
      actions."
      He also often referred to the value of awareness
      of habitual actions and developing holy ones to replace
      peace-lessening ones.
      These concepts point to positioning your Self in
      the Witness position, and when you see your thoughts,
      words, or actions being other than righteous (Sattvic)
      you need not continue them and can reboot into a more
      appropriate (peace-full) mode. Maintaining this effort
      of awareness allows for living life effortlessly
      as it take place.