Useful Lines (found on a Taoist website about 5 years ago)

  • aideenmck
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2007
      Observe your thoughts, for they become words.
      Choose your words, for they become acts.
      Understand your acts, for they become habits.
      Study your habits, for they become your character.
      Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny.

      Aideen
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2007
        "aideenmck" <aideenmck@...> wrote:

        > Observe your thoughts, for they become words.
        > Choose your words, for they become acts.
        > Understand your acts, for they become habits.
        > Study your habits, for they become your character.
        > Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny.
        >
        > Aideen

        Yo Aideen,
        Thanks for sharing this. It reminded me of
        one of my favorite Swami Sivananda sayings
        that went something like:
        "Before any actions, there are words, and before
        any words there are thoughts. Witness your thoughts
        and you will have control over your words and your
        actions."
        He also often referred to the value of awareness
        of habitual actions and developing holy ones to replace
        peace-lessening ones.
        These concepts point to positioning your Self in
        the Witness position, and when you see your thoughts,
        words, or actions being other than righteous (Sattvic)
        you need not continue them and can reboot into a more
        appropriate (peace-full) mode. Maintaining this effort
        of awareness allows for living life effortlessly
        as it take place.