Meditators predict Dow 17,000, near U.S. utopia

  • citizensactive
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1 9:20 PM
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/stocks1_dc;_ylt=AvbXUAbkiYZSyd7lC97eOewF1vA

      By Ayesha Rascoe
      Mon Jul 30, 9:20 AM ET

      NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. stocks had a tough week with the Dow Jones
      Industrial Average suffering its worst one-week point drop in five
      years, but a group of meditators promise their good vibrations will
      send the index past 17,000 within a year.

      A group called the Invincible America Assembly made that claim and
      more on Friday, insisting they have America's prosperity under
      control and their positive vibes will bring fewer hurricanes and
      better U.S.-North Korean relations.

      Through group transcendental meditation the assembly -- which has
      1,800 people meditating daily in Iowa since it was formed in July
      2006 -- releases harmonious waves which benefit all aspects of U.S.
      life, spokesman Bob Roth told Reuters.

      And the group's leader, John Hagelin, said when that number reaches
      2,500 within the next 12 months, America will see a major drop in
      crime and the virtual elimination of all major social and political
      woes.

      Asked what it would take to achieve world peace, Hagelin said such a
      utopia would need 8,000 meditators.

      The group takes credit for, among other things: the Dow Jones
      Industrial Average reaching a record high of 14,022 last week,
      unemployment rates falling to a six-year low at 4.5 percent, and
      North Korea shutting down its nuclear reactor.

      It operates two facilities in Iowa, where followers practice several
      hours of transcendental meditation each day.

      "This is not praying for peace, this is not sending out positive
      thoughts for peace," Roth said. "This is diving deep into one's own
      consciousness."

      Hagelin compared the Assembly's use of transcendental meditation to
      the invention of electricity and other advances.

      "We have control over things we didn't have control over before.
      That's the progress of science," Hagelin said.

      And while most people may be skeptical of the ability of meditation
      to bring such change, Roth said the Assembly was not going to try to
      change people's opinions.

      "We're not trying to convince anyone of anything," Roth said. "We're
      just doing it."
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2 11:39 AM
        "citizensactive" <citizensactive@...> wrote:

        > http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/stocks1_dc;_ylt=AvbXUAbkiYZSyd7lC97eOewF1vA

        > By Ayesha Rascoe
        > Mon Jul 30, 9:20 AM ET

        > NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. stocks had a tough week with the Dow Jones
        > Industrial Average suffering its worst one-week point drop in five
        > years, but a group of meditators promise their good vibrations will
        > send the index past 17,000 within a year.

        > A group called the Invincible America Assembly made that claim and
        > more on Friday, insisting they have America's prosperity under
        > control and their positive vibes will bring fewer hurricanes and
        > better U.S.-North Korean relations.
        >
        > Through group transcendental meditation the assembly -- which has
        > 1,800 people meditating daily in Iowa since it was formed in July
        > 2006 -- releases harmonious waves which benefit all aspects of U.S.
        > life, spokesman Bob Roth told Reuters.
        >
        > And the group's leader, John Hagelin, said when that number reaches
        > 2,500 within the next 12 months, America will see a major drop in
        > crime and the virtual elimination of all major social and political
        > woes.
        >
        > Asked what it would take to achieve world peace, Hagelin said such a
        > utopia would need 8,000 meditators.
        >
        > The group takes credit for, among other things: the Dow Jones
        > Industrial Average reaching a record high of 14,022 last week,
        > unemployment rates falling to a six-year low at 4.5 percent, and
        > North Korea shutting down its nuclear reactor.
        >
        > It operates two facilities in Iowa, where followers practice several
        > hours of transcendental meditation each day.
        >
        > "This is not praying for peace, this is not sending out positive
        > thoughts for peace," Roth said. "This is diving deep into one's own
        > consciousness."
        >
        > Hagelin compared the Assembly's use of transcendental meditation to
        > the invention of electricity and other advances.
        >
        > "We have control over things we didn't have control over before.
        > That's the progress of science," Hagelin said.
        >
        > And while most people may be skeptical of the ability of meditation
        > to bring such change, Roth said the Assembly was not going to try to
        > change people's opinions.
        >
        > "We're not trying to convince anyone of anything," Roth said. "We're
        > just doing it."

        I recently became aware that one of the therapists I work
        with has been a devoted practitioner of Transcendental
        Meditation for decades. He teaches it and has been to India
        and stayed in their communities for extended periods for
        years. He also practices their "Yogic Flying" and has
        been part of their delegations that have gone to war torn
        areas in the belief that a group of TM followers who do
        their Mantras simultaneously can and have brought wars
        to an end by their efforts. Though one can never know
        for sure about another, I have no feeling that he has
        reached Enlightenment, Realization, or whatever you
        want to call "IT". When I told him that I saw no reason
        at all to pay between $2500 and $3000 for a word to
        meditate on and that OM was superior to any of the
        words that TM sold, he replied that OM was just for
        those renunciates who are not involved in worldly
        activities and that TM's words are for householders.
        He answered with their usual sales-pitch saying that
        the word or phrase you use has to be one specific to
        the individual, and then repeated a few other cliche's
        that he has said by rote for years to justify to people
        for paying for what could just as easily be free. I then
        pointed out that all this as well as the promise of
        being able to be part of levitating and helping to
        cause world peace, and so on, were just forms of magical
        thinking that ended up putting money into TM's pockets.
        He responded that if there was no magical thinking,
        there would be much less for one to have hope about.
        And I think he has a point there...so, if these TM'ers
        succeed, good for them! But for me, what I think is
        really magical is to be able to deal with what IS,
        and I have not found that something you can "do" or
        "not do" anything about, nor is it anything you can
        buy for any price.
      • sean tremblay
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2 6:22 PM
          right on Bob!