Love has Finally Arrived

  • Era
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23, 2007
      p. 167

      Seven crazy men were invited to festivities in a neighboring
      village. More than mildly intoxicated, they were staggering
      home toward their own village at night when it began to rain.

      So they settled down for the night under a large banyan
      tree.

      When they woke up the following morning, they rent the air
      with mourning and wailing. "What's the matter?" asked a
      passerby.

      "Last night we huddled together under this tree and fell
      asleep, sir," said one of the crazy men. "On waking up this
      morning, we find our limbs all intertwined and we cannot
      distinguish the owners."

      "Easily solved," said the traveler. "Give me a pin." He
      jabbed the pin sharply into the first leg he saw. "Ouch!" said
      one of the men. "There," said the traveler to the man, "that
      leg is yours." Then he pricked an arm. "Ouch!" said another,
      identifying himself as the owner of the arm. And so on, till
      the limbs were all disentangled and the crazy men went merrily
      back to their village none the worse for their experience.

      When your heart responds instinctively to other people's joys
      and sorrows, you will know you have lost your self and attained
      the experience of your "one-body-ness" with the human race -
      and love has finally arrived.

      from Anthony de Mello, S.J. forum