Applied Meditation and into The Mystic

  • Jeff Belyea
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 19 9:27 PM
      The practical application of meditation
      for stress and as part of goal achievement
      strategies - ranging from quiting smoking to
      supremely practical goal of transcendence
      is well known, and has been part of many
      meditation teachings (including my own)
      for....ever.

      www.mindgoal.com/mysticheart.html

      Your mind may have hit a pothole at
      reading the words practical and
      transcendence in the same sentence...
      but all goals have the very same
      core: happiness and peace of mind.

      These are success at its core, regardless
      of the "vehicles" (new house, car, career,
      relationship, fitness,...) viewed as
      necessary for success.

      Transcendence, therefore, is the
      supremely practical goal, because
      transcendence brings happiness and
      peace of mind beyond what any of the
      temporary thrill ofmaterial vehicles
      can bring.

      Transcendent is a return
      to the childlike, goal free, worry
      free, sheer joy that is our birthright -
      and which we forfeited and forgot through
      coercian by our early teachers,
      who forced social order on us, and
      robbed us of our true identity
      and our true home.

      Meditation can return us to our
      true home. However, the phrase true home
      is meaningless, in its "true" sense,
      unless the return has been experienced.

      If it hasn't, we settle for much less
      - a secondary existence and limited
      perspective that we naively mistate
      for our true existence.

      When the earthy, solid, practical
      philosophies of say, a Sean Trembley,
      and Zen teachings of chop wood, carry
      water before and after transcendence
      are presented, they are unassailably
      worthwhile: eat good food, raise happy
      kids, come in out of the rain...

      But...

      These are aspects of secondary consciousness
      and limited intrepretations, limited to the
      sensual and emotional apparatus that we have
      "inherited" as home on this earthly plane.

      And...these are adopted reflections
      that satisfy the "I" of the ego, the
      I that does not recognize (has forgotten)
      the freedom from goals and need for
      sensual delights (including food and
      dry clothes) in order to shine. (That
      is not to say that sensual delights
      and dry clothes are not to be enjoyed.
      It is just a matter of recognized
      their impermanence, and the impermanence
      of the joy they bring.

      Transcendence, on the other hand,
      is primary existence, a timeless
      and blissful level of consciousness
      that has nothing to do with the mortal
      life or sensory apparatus. The secondary
      existence is blended into the transcendent
      level of consciousness, but it is
      recognized as secondary, and allows
      for absolute freedom from self-consciousness
      in favor of blissful Self consciousness.

      Meditation can open the door to this
      new (renewed) understanding.

      Just a midnight ramble.

      Jeff
    • sean tremblay
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 21 9:08 AM
        Jeff,  I think a few need to respond.  What I have been reading recently in reference to pain and meditation Does not seem to adiquitly adress Aideen's problem.  The article sent refers to the "Normal" and "Minor" aches and pains assciated with sitting in Zazen for a determinate amount of time, or on a bus or an airport bench for that matter. It does not adress pain indications of serious problems and what Aideen was describing was an indication that something may be Biologically wrong, Saint Hildigard, Mary Baker Eddy the Buddha and many others have discussed the inner roots of disease and injury, but the injury must be treated as well as the cause of it in the physical as well as the metaphysical.  The point is the student needs to develope not an intuitive link to understanding the mind and bodies relationship and to understand the signals that the body sends us.   "Transending" physical limitations are both powerfull and positive things examples being marathon runners and endurance events.  That is not the same thing as ignoring a potentialy serious inury for the sake of a vaque "Attachment" to ideas of transendence. It would defeat the purpose of meditation  for the student to endure physical suffering especialy suffering that may indicate a serious heath problem.  Most of us know the difference between serious pain and superficial discomfort but the fear of failure at our practice or disciplin might cause us to ignore of override the physical indications of injury.   Biologicaly speaking our minds and bodies are born, grow and then decay.  At a certain point on a cellular level we begin to die and we spend years doing it. in the interim, we can transend that discomfort of dieing, we can override the discomfort of dieing but we are still dieing.   Pain injury and illness are are a part of this. And if not fully adressed they can become a self consuming thing in and of itself.  AN example would be my Aunt who died of cancer. It took her ten years to die, after many years of diet, meditation, chemo, and more meditation she died, she felt pain and discomfort but she died and was at peace the moment she did.
        I wanted to touch also on Jeffs point returning to a pure state like childhood,  I agree completly,  that is what I refer to as the garden of eden, because that is the condition of our essencial human "BE-ING" when I was a kid I still remember running as fat as i could through the main woods occasionaly stopping to pick wild blackberry or an occasioal wild strawberry, I remember climbing trees and dicovering a stream to be forded or a cool little grotto to hide out in, there were horseshoe crabs in the bay inlets and blue heron, the woods had porcupine and racoons.  The world was wonderfull and as a kid you directly experience it for what it is and not what you want it to be, and you took people the same way.  That original state free from judgement when we were free to observe "Idependent Reality" instead of the frustrated, diasapointed, hurt angry dependent reality of the Adult world. So to return to that free state is a return to being the kid whos spacing out watching light reflect off of dust particles while listening to Jeff's Joe cocker albums on the head phones. In the next room Jeff scrapes something of an alum cover, and in the KItchen my moms burning down the house trying to make home made doughnuts.
        The dependent reality is the one of cause and effect. He said she said. That make me so made. She made me do this and all the other Attachements to things and Stuff of this world as if they realy had value.  A car is a car a dollar is a dollar, render onto Ceasar and all that stuff.   The return to BE-ING is the basis of my sensual and earthy philosphy.  It is about the here and now the just being enjoying the experience of Family and experiencing relationships and my relationship with the world around me as it is. For me exploration is also a big part of experiencing the world, the joy of discovery.  An example of attachments and suffering would be to save hundreds or thousands of dollars for your dream vacation....lets say to Thailand.  you've done your research and planned every little detail down to the minute.  A beach bungalo so on and so forth.....When the vacationer arrives he realizes it nothing like what he imagined.   Now he is about to experience the worst disaster of his life setting him back thousands of dollars and hard work for nothing! or... he is about to embark on the most life altering adventure in his life!
        Just a few afternoon rambles
        I didnt hit spell check, because the kids want tuna sandwiches.

        Got a little couch potato?

      • Aideen McKenna
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 21 10:42 AM

          Sean, I’m afraid I may have confused the issue by mentioning arthritis. The pain that can arise from sitting in meditation can hurt like hell even if there’s no arthritis.

          For example, Grace, who posted the story of her trip from retreat zafu to ER gurney didn’t mention any underlying pain issues.  She hyperventilated in an effort to stay in her position & passed out.  She says she is confused because she knows that one is counselled to observe the pain & fully realize its temporary nature.  She’d been doing just that & had been watching ebb & flow over longer & longer periods of time.  She was able to sit motionless for 2 hours (no mean feat) during that retreat before she fainted.  So now, she’s (to my way of thinking, at least) understandably confused as to the “right” thing to have done.  Jon Kabat-Zinn says meditators with long experience can & do sit motionless for an entire day in excruciating pain.  I read that some years ago just when I was taking up meditaion.  At the time, I thought the rest of his book (“Full Catastrophe Living”, probably) made sense to me, but I drew the line at sitting in agony – it seemed perverse.  Later, I began to understand (at least in theory) the importance of realizing that everything is temporary & of observing the arising & subsiding.  Still …

          The more I think about this issue, the less I understand it.
          The mention of tuna sandwiches made me want one too, so that’s what I’m doing next.

          Aideen

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 21 1:43 PM
            Aideen, I'm sorry but I'm not sure I understand the confusion.
            Your right about there being a point where it becomes perverse.
            Again I look to Yoga, something that not only helps center me for meditation but also prepares my body for it.  It's become even more important to me since my wife began to instruct me in it as a method of physical rehab.  I used to take it for granted that my body would do pretty much what i commanded it to do, then I was forceed to discover the body's impermance.  SInce then I have discovered the deeper benifits of yoga for mind body intergration and meditation
            enjoy that sandwich

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 21 1:44 PM
              Thanks, Sean. First of all, let me write that you are one of the most
              beautiful and pristine BE-INGS I have ever known. (Note for readers:
              I first met Sean when he was 8 months old, and spent time with him
              until age 6, and for the past 30 years have had little contact). It
              was evident from the first days I knew you.

              Secondly, I apologize for misspelling Tremblay (Trembley), my lame
              excuse is that it was late (for me) and we share a lot of B E L Y and
              A letters in our names.

              Yes, I perfectly agree that the childlike state IS the return to the
              Garden of Eden, and I appreciate your comments that your earthy view
              if from that perspective. As I wrote, the primary identity
              (Transcendence) enfolds the secondary identify without sacrificing
              the joy of both. So, you can enjoy the sensual delights and the
              blissful non-attachment at the same time. This may boogle the literal
              mind, but the transcendent realization harmonizes this naturally.

              About the pain issue, that I have not followed closely...

              Again, you are right. If pain and discomfort has manifested, it has
              not been dealt with spiritually and is best addressed on the physical
              level, through the wisdom of much of conventional medicine and trauma
              treatment. (Bob Rose has both the knowledge of the traditional
              medical approach and, of course, the meditative approach...and he may
              expond on this).

              Your recall of listening to the Joe Cocker album just about gave me
              an out-of-body experience. Thanks for the delicious taste of
              nostalgia. (BTW - Your mother was a great cook in those days.)

              Love, as always,

              Jeff