Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Sleepy & Hurting

  • Grace Yllana
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007
      Thanks...that makes more sense to me now...whether I will ever get to the 2 plane state..I don't know..hopefully it happens with practice.

      Grace

      --- In meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, Grace Yllana
      <yllanagr@.. .> wrote:

      > Does that mean that when the teacher...says locked in one position
      without moving...we should move and not practice observing the pain? I
      do know that with practice..I got better and better at observing the
      pain and watching it come and go...and one time actually "think" it
      away..like self hypnosis...but during meditation retreat..I passed out
      from trying to "observe" the pain..I was hyperventilating to be able
      to keep in the locked position we were told to keep...and I was the
      only one who was going to move after 2 hours and did not want to be
      the one..result I passed out and they took me to ER..so still confused
      on the pain issue..

      > Grace

      Working with intense pain - Ram Dass

      "What I've learned from all this is what a delicate
      game it is to work with intense pain. Like all
      the experiences of an incarnation, pain has to be
      experienced fully by the Ego in order to be an
      effective learning experience for the Soul, but
      plunging in like that locks you into the pain.
      The only solution is to be on two planes at once:
      you have to enter the pain fully, and yet be in
      the Soul level at the same time. That's fierce?
      You feel the full intensity of the pain, and at the
      same time you transcend it by being in the Witness state.
      Pain demands that you establish yourself
      simultaneously in Ego and Soul. What an incredible
      teacher it is."

      From: Still Here by Ram Dass

      Be a PS3 game guru.

    • sean tremblay
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007
        The Idea of observing the pain is restricted to the level of minor discomfort. IF pain is continual and extreme that is an indication that there is something wrong biologicaly, remember there is a difference in transending suffering and enduring it.  The practice of Hatha Yoga is to create a mind body connection through fittness and strength as well as flexibility the true purpose of this yoga is to prepare the body for meditation, it frees the mind from the aches and pains a healthy body enables the meditator to focus on meditation rather than getting beyond pain.  In my career I have had to push many physical limits, mentaly override physical pain and injury to achieve a certain goal. The mind can be trained to do this easy enough the threshold for pain increases with exposure BUT this is the extreme and should be reserved for extremes.
        As grandpa Harvey always told me
        "Bull strength and ignorence will only get you so far"

        Grace Yllana <yllanagr@...> wrote:
        Does that mean that when the teacher...says locked in one position without moving...we should move and not practice observing the pain? I do know that with practice..I got better and better at observing the pain and watching it come and go...and one time actually "think" it away..like self hypnosis...but during meditation retreat..I passed out from trying to "observe" the pain..I was hyperventilating to be able to keep in the locked position we were told to keep...and I was the only one who was going to move after 2 hours and did not want to be the one..result I passed out and they took me to ER..so still confused on the pain issue..

        Grace

        sean tremblay <bethjams9@yahoo. com> wrote:
        When I was in the Army I used to go by the philosophy that "Pain is weakness leaving the body" after having back surgery my wife who's an RN and yoga instructor reminded me "No Sean pain is an indication that something is wrong!"
        She's smarter than me!

        Grace Yllana <yllanagr@yahoo. com> wrote:
        Hello all...I'm confused about the pain issue...I heard that part of meditation is to be able to "observe" pain, discomforts and other sensations.. .and realize they have a shelf life..or are temporary... etc...what is the word on pain..not from arthritis or any ailment...the pain and discomfort that sitting in one position for a long time produce??

        Grace Yllana

        Daniel Bonekeeper <bonekeeper@gmail. com> wrote:
        Aideen, have you tried to sleep as much as you could, to the point where you just can't sleep anymore ? Try this. Sleep until you are fully rested and just can't sleep anymore, even if you tried. Then, try to meditate, and we'll see.

        About the pain, I can't tell much... personally I like to meditate in an reclinable armchair, very confortable, so it's easy to just forget the body.

        Daniel

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007
          Sure thats true but, bones break, cuts bleed, and the body is subject to physical inury
          regardless of the state ID, Ego, soul, Super Ego, planes of existence. A brocken bone needs mending you can check your inner self after the emergency room visit.
          A man was shot with a poison arrow
          many rushed to pull it out
          Before they did the man wanted to know
          who shot the arrow