Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Sleepy & Hurting

  • sean tremblay
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007
      When I was in the Army I used to go by the philosophy that "Pain is weakness leaving the body" after having back surgery my wife who's an RN and yoga instructor reminded me "No Sean pain is an indication that something is wrong!"
      She's smarter than me!

      Grace Yllana <yllanagr@...> wrote:
      Hello all...I'm confused about the pain issue...I heard that part of meditation is to be able to "observe" pain, discomforts and other sensations.. .and realize they have a shelf life..or are temporary... etc...what is the word on pain..not from arthritis or any ailment...the pain and discomfort that sitting in one position for a long time produce??

      Grace Yllana

      Daniel Bonekeeper <bonekeeper@gmail. com> wrote:
      Aideen, have you tried to sleep as much as you could, to the point where you just can't sleep anymore ? Try this. Sleep until you are fully rested and just can't sleep anymore, even if you tried. Then, try to meditate, and we'll see.

      About the pain, I can't tell much... personally I like to meditate in an reclinable armchair, very confortable, so it's easy to just forget the body.

      Daniel

        <aideenmck@.. .> wrote:

        > Lately I tend to fall asleep every time I sit down to meditate;
        it's a
        > constant battle to remain awake. Regarding this matter, I find 2
        > conflicting views in books & articles about meditation. One is to
        > accept that what's needed at that time is sleep, so if sleep is
        what
        > happens, so be it. The other is to regard the sleepiness as the
        egoic
        > mind, fearful of annihilation, setting up a hindrance.
        >
        > Another problem which arose about the same time as the sleepiness
        is
        > pain. Again, I read conflicting advice about whether or not to
        adjust
        > my position. Be one with the excruciating pain, or shift the
        foot,
        > leg, whatever.
        >
        > It's a bad patch I'm going through, I guess, because if it isn't
        one
        > thing, it's the other. I'd like to hear what anybody has to say
        about
        > it.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Aideen

        I'm still wondering whether anybody has words of wisdom about the
        problem of pain to which I referred. Does one go into the pain, as
        it were, remaining physically still? Or move to alleviate it?
        Lately, there's always leg pain when I sit down to meditate, so I
        could be fidgeting constantly. I don't know what to do about this.
        I'd appreciate some advice.
        Thanks,
        Aideen

        Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

        "If you are still asking for the result, then a very subtle effort will continuously be there. You will not be just sitting; you cannot just sit if there are any desires. The desire will be a subtle movement in you, and the movement will continue. You may be sitting like a stone or like a buddha, but still within the stone will be moving. Desire is movement."

        Got a little couch potato?

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Grace Yllana
          <yllanagr@...> wrote:

          > Does that mean that when the teacher...says locked in one position
          without moving...we should move and not practice observing the pain? I
          do know that with practice..I got better and better at observing the
          pain and watching it come and go...and one time actually "think" it
          away..like self hypnosis...but during meditation retreat..I passed out
          from trying to "observe" the pain..I was hyperventilating to be able
          to keep in the locked position we were told to keep...and I was the
          only one who was going to move after 2 hours and did not want to be
          the one..result I passed out and they took me to ER..so still confused
          on the pain issue..

          > Grace

          Working with intense pain - Ram Dass

          "What I've learned from all this is what a delicate
          game it is to work with intense pain. Like all
          the experiences of an incarnation, pain has to be
          experienced fully by the Ego in order to be an
          effective learning experience for the Soul, but
          plunging in like that locks you into the pain.
          The only solution is to be on two planes at once:
          you have to enter the pain fully, and yet be in
          the Soul level at the same time. That's fierce?
          You feel the full intensity of the pain, and at the
          same time you transcend it by being in the Witness state.
          Pain demands that you establish yourself
          simultaneously in Ego and Soul. What an incredible
          teacher it is."

          From: Still Here by Ram Dass
        • Grace Yllana
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007
            Thanks...that makes more sense to me now...whether I will ever get to the 2 plane state..I don't know..hopefully it happens with practice.

            Grace

            From: Still Here by Ram Dass

            Be a PS3 game guru.

          • sean tremblay
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007
              The Idea of observing the pain is restricted to the level of minor discomfort. IF pain is continual and extreme that is an indication that there is something wrong biologicaly, remember there is a difference in transending suffering and enduring it.  The practice of Hatha Yoga is to create a mind body connection through fittness and strength as well as flexibility the true purpose of this yoga is to prepare the body for meditation, it frees the mind from the aches and pains a healthy body enables the meditator to focus on meditation rather than getting beyond pain.  In my career I have had to push many physical limits, mentaly override physical pain and injury to achieve a certain goal. The mind can be trained to do this easy enough the threshold for pain increases with exposure BUT this is the extreme and should be reserved for extremes.
              As grandpa Harvey always told me
              "Bull strength and ignorence will only get you so far"

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007
                Sure thats true but, bones break, cuts bleed, and the body is subject to physical inury
                regardless of the state ID, Ego, soul, Super Ego, planes of existence. A brocken bone needs mending you can check your inner self after the emergency room visit.
                A man was shot with a poison arrow
                many rushed to pull it out
                Before they did the man wanted to know
                who shot the arrow