RE: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Sleepy & Hurting

  • Aideen McKenna
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007

      Errata: I exercise regularly, not irregularly.  --Aideen

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007
        Aideen, have you tried to sleep as much as you could, to the point where you just can't sleep anymore ? Try this. Sleep until you are fully rested and just can't sleep anymore, even if you tried. Then, try to meditate, and we'll see.

        About the pain, I can't tell much... personally I like to meditate in an reclinable armchair, very confortable, so it's easy to just forget the body.

        Daniel

        <aideenmck@...> wrote:

        > Lately I tend to fall asleep every time I sit down to meditate;
        it's a
        > constant battle to remain awake. Regarding this matter, I find 2
        > conflicting views in books & articles about meditation. One is to
        > accept that what's needed at that time is sleep, so if sleep is
        what
        > happens, so be it. The other is to regard the sleepiness as the
        egoic
        > mind, fearful of annihilation, setting up a hindrance.
        >
        > Another problem which arose about the same time as the sleepiness
        is
        > pain. Again, I read conflicting advice about whether or not to
        adjust
        > my position. Be one with the excruciating pain, or shift the
        foot,
        > leg, whatever.
        >
        > It's a bad patch I'm going through, I guess, because if it isn't
        one
        > thing, it's the other. I'd like to hear what anybody has to say
        about
        > it.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Aideen

        I'm still wondering whether anybody has words of wisdom about the
        problem of pain to which I referred. Does one go into the pain, as
        it were, remaining physically still? Or move to alleviate it?
        Lately, there's always leg pain when I sit down to meditate, so I
        could be fidgeting constantly. I don't know what to do about this.
        I'd appreciate some advice.
        Thanks,
        Aideen

        Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

        "If you are still asking for the result, then a very subtle effort will continuously be there. You will not be just sitting; you cannot just sit if there are any desires. The desire will be a subtle movement in you, and the movement will continue. You may be sitting like a stone or like a buddha, but still within the stone will be moving. Desire is movement."
      • Grace Yllana
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007
          Hello all...I'm confused about the pain issue...I heard that part of meditation is to be able to "observe" pain, discomforts and other sensations...and realize they have a shelf life..or are temporary...etc...what is the word on pain..not from arthritis or any ailment...the pain and discomfort that sitting in one position for a long time produce??

          Grace Yllana

          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007

            Exactly.  That’s what confuses me, too.  ---Aideen

            <aideenmck@.. .> wrote:

            > Lately I tend to fall asleep every time I sit down to meditate;
            it's a
            > constant battle to remain awake. Regarding this matter, I find 2
            > conflicting views in books & articles about meditation. One is to
            > accept that what's needed at that time is sleep, so if sleep is
            what
            > happens, so be it. The other is to regard the sleepiness as the
            egoic
            > mind, fearful of annihilation, setting up a hindrance.
            >
            > Another problem which arose about the same time as the sleepiness
            is
            > pain. Again, I read conflicting advice about whether or not to
            adjust
            > my position. Be one with the excruciating pain, or shift the
            foot,
            > leg, whatever.
            >
            > It's a bad patch I'm going through, I guess, because if it isn't
            one
            > thing, it's the other. I'd like to hear what anybody has to say
            about
            > it.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Aideen

            I'm still wondering whether anybody has words of wisdom about the
            problem of pain to which I referred. Does one go into the pain, as
            it were, remaining physically still? Or move to alleviate it?
            Lately, there's always leg pain when I sit down to meditate, so I
            could be fidgeting constantly. I don't know what to do about this.
            I'd appreciate some advice.
            Thanks,
            Aideen

            Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

            "If you are still asking for the result, then a very subtle effort will continuously be there. You will not be just sitting; you cannot just sit if there are any desires. The desire will be a subtle movement in you, and the movement will continue. You may be sitting like a stone or like a buddha, but still within the stone will be moving. Desire is movement."

          • sean tremblay

                <aideenmck@.. .> wrote:

                > Lately I tend to fall asleep every time I sit down to meditate;
                it's a
                > constant battle to remain awake. Regarding this matter, I find 2
                > conflicting views in books & articles about meditation. One is to
                > accept that what's needed at that time is sleep, so if sleep is
                what
                > happens, so be it. The other is to regard the sleepiness as the
                egoic
                > mind, fearful of annihilation, setting up a hindrance.
                >
                > Another problem which arose about the same time as the sleepiness
                is
                > pain. Again, I read conflicting advice about whether or not to
                adjust
                > my position. Be one with the excruciating pain, or shift the
                foot,
                > leg, whatever.
                >
                > It's a bad patch I'm going through, I guess, because if it isn't
                one
                > thing, it's the other. I'd like to hear what anybody has to say
                about
                > it.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Aideen

                I'm still wondering whether anybody has words of wisdom about the
                problem of pain to which I referred. Does one go into the pain, as
                it were, remaining physically still? Or move to alleviate it?
                Lately, there's always leg pain when I sit down to meditate, so I
                could be fidgeting constantly. I don't know what to do about this.
                I'd appreciate some advice.
                Thanks,
                Aideen

                Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

                "If you are still asking for the result, then a very subtle effort will continuously be there. You will not be just sitting; you cannot just sit if there are any desires. The desire will be a subtle movement in you, and the movement will continue. You may be sitting like a stone or like a buddha, but still within the stone will be moving. Desire is movement."

                Got a little couch potato?

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007
                  --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Grace Yllana
                  <yllanagr@...> wrote:

                  > Does that mean that when the teacher...says locked in one position
                  without moving...we should move and not practice observing the pain? I
                  do know that with practice..I got better and better at observing the
                  pain and watching it come and go...and one time actually "think" it
                  away..like self hypnosis...but during meditation retreat..I passed out
                  from trying to "observe" the pain..I was hyperventilating to be able
                  to keep in the locked position we were told to keep...and I was the
                  only one who was going to move after 2 hours and did not want to be
                  the one..result I passed out and they took me to ER..so still confused
                  on the pain issue..

                  > Grace

                  Working with intense pain - Ram Dass

                  "What I've learned from all this is what a delicate
                  game it is to work with intense pain. Like all
                  the experiences of an incarnation, pain has to be
                  experienced fully by the Ego in order to be an
                  effective learning experience for the Soul, but
                  plunging in like that locks you into the pain.
                  The only solution is to be on two planes at once:
                  you have to enter the pain fully, and yet be in
                  the Soul level at the same time. That's fierce?
                  You feel the full intensity of the pain, and at the
                  same time you transcend it by being in the Witness state.
                  Pain demands that you establish yourself
                  simultaneously in Ego and Soul. What an incredible
                  teacher it is."

                  From: Still Here by Ram Dass
                • Grace Yllana
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007
                    Thanks...that makes more sense to me now...whether I will ever get to the 2 plane state..I don't know..hopefully it happens with practice.

                    Grace

                    From: Still Here by Ram Dass

                    Be a PS3 game guru.

                  • sean tremblay
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007
                      The Idea of observing the pain is restricted to the level of minor discomfort. IF pain is continual and extreme that is an indication that there is something wrong biologicaly, remember there is a difference in transending suffering and enduring it.  The practice of Hatha Yoga is to create a mind body connection through fittness and strength as well as flexibility the true purpose of this yoga is to prepare the body for meditation, it frees the mind from the aches and pains a healthy body enables the meditator to focus on meditation rather than getting beyond pain.  In my career I have had to push many physical limits, mentaly override physical pain and injury to achieve a certain goal. The mind can be trained to do this easy enough the threshold for pain increases with exposure BUT this is the extreme and should be reserved for extremes.
                      As grandpa Harvey always told me
                      "Bull strength and ignorence will only get you so far"

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007
                        Sure thats true but, bones break, cuts bleed, and the body is subject to physical inury
                        regardless of the state ID, Ego, soul, Super Ego, planes of existence. A brocken bone needs mending you can check your inner self after the emergency room visit.
                        A man was shot with a poison arrow
                        many rushed to pull it out
                        Before they did the man wanted to know
                        who shot the arrow