Re: Sleepy & Hurting

  • M.V.T. DHANANJEYAN
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 12, 2007
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "aideenmck"
      <aideenmck@...> wrote:

      > Lately I tend to fall asleep every time I sit down to meditate;
      it's a
      > constant battle to remain awake. Regarding this matter, I find 2
      > conflicting views in books & articles about meditation. One is to
      > accept that what's needed at that time is sleep, so if sleep is
      what
      > happens, so be it. The other is to regard the sleepiness as the
      egoic
      > mind, fearful of annihilation, setting up a hindrance.
      >
      > Another problem which arose about the same time as the sleepiness
      is
      > pain. Again, I read conflicting advice about whether or not to
      adjust
      > my position. Be one with the excruciating pain, or shift the
      foot,
      > leg, whatever.
      >
      > It's a bad patch I'm going through, I guess, because if it isn't
      one
      > thing, it's the other. I'd like to hear what anybody has to say
      about
      > it.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Aideen

      Dear Aideen

      It is not a great mistake or harm when you pass thro sleeping
      or sleeping condition at the time of doing meditation. Your body and
      soul may be tired. Body and soul has very good relation. So, only
      easy way sleep well. Then do meditation. Avoid heavy food or food at
      the (near) time of doing meditation. Empty stomach is highly
      preferable.

      Higly, well cleared bowl is good for meditaion.
      Airy place is more required.
    • sean tremblay
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 12, 2007
        Eat when your hungry
        Sleep when your tired
        When it rains go inside
        Love
        Sean

        <aideenmck@. ..> wrote:

        > Lately I tend to fall asleep every time I sit down to meditate;
        it's a
        > constant battle to remain awake. Regarding this matter, I find 2
        > conflicting views in books & articles about meditation. One is to
        > accept that what's needed at that time is sleep, so if sleep is
        what
        > happens, so be it. The other is to regard the sleepiness as the
        egoic
        > mind, fearful of annihilation, setting up a hindrance.
        >
        > Another problem which arose about the same time as the sleepiness
        is
        > pain. Again, I read conflicting advice about whether or not to
        adjust
        > my position. Be one with the excruciating pain, or shift the
        foot,
        > leg, whatever.
        >
        > It's a bad patch I'm going through, I guess, because if it isn't
        one
        > thing, it's the other. I'd like to hear what anybody has to say
        about
        > it.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Aideen

        Dear Aideen

        It is not a great mistake or harm when you pass thro sleeping
        or sleeping condition at the time of doing meditation. Your body and
        soul may be tired. Body and soul has very good relation. So, only
        easy way sleep well. Then do meditation. Avoid heavy food or food at
        the (near) time of doing meditation. Empty stomach is highly
        preferable.

        Higly, well cleared bowl is good for meditaion.
        Airy place is more required.

        Got a little couch potato?

      • aideenmck
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 15, 2007
          <aideenmck@...> wrote:

          > Lately I tend to fall asleep every time I sit down to meditate;
          it's a
          > constant battle to remain awake. Regarding this matter, I find 2
          > conflicting views in books & articles about meditation. One is to
          > accept that what's needed at that time is sleep, so if sleep is
          what
          > happens, so be it. The other is to regard the sleepiness as the
          egoic
          > mind, fearful of annihilation, setting up a hindrance.
          >
          > Another problem which arose about the same time as the sleepiness
          is
          > pain. Again, I read conflicting advice about whether or not to
          adjust
          > my position. Be one with the excruciating pain, or shift the
          foot,
          > leg, whatever.
          >
          > It's a bad patch I'm going through, I guess, because if it isn't
          one
          > thing, it's the other. I'd like to hear what anybody has to say
          about
          > it.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Aideen

          I'm still wondering whether anybody has words of wisdom about the
          problem of pain to which I referred. Does one go into the pain, as
          it were, remaining physically still? Or move to alleviate it?
          Lately, there's always leg pain when I sit down to meditate, so I
          could be fidgeting constantly. I don't know what to do about this.
          I'd appreciate some advice.
          Thanks,
          Aideen
        • sean tremblay
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007
            Aideen: you may need to see a doctor, it could be circulatory or even something in the nervous system.  In the mean time take a break from meditation.  Get plenty of rest and exercise especialy after dinner take a long walk if it's safe to do so.
            sean

            <aideenmck@. ..> wrote:

            > Lately I tend to fall asleep every time I sit down to meditate;
            it's a
            > constant battle to remain awake. Regarding this matter, I find 2
            > conflicting views in books & articles about meditation. One is to
            > accept that what's needed at that time is sleep, so if sleep is
            what
            > happens, so be it. The other is to regard the sleepiness as the
            egoic
            > mind, fearful of annihilation, setting up a hindrance.
            >
            > Another problem which arose about the same time as the sleepiness
            is
            > pain. Again, I read conflicting advice about whether or not to
            adjust
            > my position. Be one with the excruciating pain, or shift the
            foot,
            > leg, whatever.
            >
            > It's a bad patch I'm going through, I guess, because if it isn't
            one
            > thing, it's the other. I'd like to hear what anybody has to say
            about
            > it.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Aideen

            I'm still wondering whether anybody has words of wisdom about the
            problem of pain to which I referred. Does one go into the pain, as
            it were, remaining physically still? Or move to alleviate it?
            Lately, there's always leg pain when I sit down to meditate, so I
            could be fidgeting constantly. I don't know what to do about this.
            I'd appreciate some advice.
            Thanks,
            Aideen

            Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007
              <bethjams9@...> wrote:

              > Aideen: you may need to see a doctor, it could be circulatory or
              even something in the nervous system. In the mean time take a break
              from meditation. Get plenty of rest and exercise especialy after
              dinner take a long walk if it's safe to do so.
              > sean

              Dear Aideen,
              I totally agree with Sean's suggestion that you see
              your physician. Also, I do have several other things
              to add and that partially they can be found in the article
              on our web site titled "Visualization of Cellular Healing"
              (particularly about pain in part #8), as copied below and at
              Additionally, I want to remind you that virtually everything
              that happens in your life can be a pointer to you to look
              within and analyze "Who is this happening to?". Not knowing
              this is the real pain in our heart. And when you are not
              enquiring into "Who am I?", simply silently
              witnessing your life as it takes place is what I
              suggest is the most beneficial (and truly meditative)
              thing you can do for your Self. Witness your life
              as it takes place in a detached manner. Your body
              is ever changing and sometimes there will be pain and at
              other times there will be good feelings. What will
              remain always available is to be attentive to what
              the senses receive and send out, what the emotions
              are feeling, and what thoughts are flying by. And do this
              without commenting in any way. Shut up the inner
              chatterer. By positioning your Self in the Witness mode,
              whether you are sitting in meditation or doing your
              income producing job, or any other action, you will have the
              potential to experience very insightful realizations.
              This will be true if you are going through pleasure
              or pain, sadness or joy,or any other of the dualities
              of life. The inner Witness is your real Self and
              knowing It without conditional reactivity to your mood
              swings, your thought patterns, or your physical
              sensation changes... frees you from the illusion
              that duality chains you to, and that is that
              you are this "separate from the rest of creation
              entity". This transcendent perspective is the
              key to freedom from the situation that most people
              find themselves in, and that can be described as one
              where they are constantly trying to fulfill a series
              of ever changing desires that will comfort their
              body, mind, and/or emotions. And they never do get
              fulfilled. One desire is simply replaced with another.
              Life then is a circle of frustrating suffering involved
              in chasing after one gold ring after another. But the
              person meditating with stability in their dispassionate
              awareness has an open the door to always being in a
              state that is evolving in consciousness, and is not
              suffering from trying to reactively feed the voracious
              desire appetite of a fearful ego. As the cliche goes
              "Nice work if you can get it!". In any event, I
              know that you are really trying to be a vehicle
              for all good to flow through you and I am sure
              that this will happen. Be patient and persevere.
              I wish you well.

              Visualization of Cellular Healing
              When you go to a doctor, s/he prescribes a medication for you to take,
              or a treatment you will undergo, your body starts the healing process
              before the medicine is in your system or the exercise or surgical
              procedure has taken place. For most people, just seeing a doctor gives
              confidence that healing will occur. Depending on the patient's
              cultural background, this is true whether the physician is a
              neurosurgeon at the Mayo Clinic or a tribal witch doctor. This is
              attributable to an extraordinary healing ability of the body by a
              process known as the placebo effect. What happens is that healing
              starts when you believe it will occur. Your mind buys into it and your
              body makes it happen. The great physician and humanitarian, Dr. Albert
              Schweitzer, gives us this insight - "The witch doctor succeeds for the
              same reason all the rest of us (medical doctors) succeed. Each patient
              carries his own doctor inside himself. They come to us not knowing
              that truth. We are at our best when we give the doctor who resides
              within each patient a chance to go to work."

              Our body is a fantastic chemical factory that is capable of seemingly
              unbelievable things. For instance, there is the case of a 95-pound
              woman lifting up a two-ton car to save the life of her child who was
              trapped under its weight. This was due to a gigantic adrenaline
              release. As impressive a display of adaptability to a need this is,
              our body is capable of doing even more seemingly miraculous feats.
              Perhaps the most impressive of all is its' ability to heal itself - of
              anything!

              There are several methods dealing with visualizing healing
              meditatively at the cellular level. To begin any of them, use the
              position, breathing pattern, physical relaxing technique, and emptying
              of mental and emotional reactivity that you have found best prepares
              you to fill with the object of your meditation. Try each of these ways
              separately, and try combining them until your healing has occurred.
              This may take mere seconds, or decades, as has whatever happened to
              you that now needs a change back to wellness.

              1. In your minds eye, see aberrant or inflamed cells changing into
              healthy cells. If there is a damaged or corrupted area within the
              cells, visualize them changing and becoming free from injury. See your
              whole body becoming pure. Visualize yourself as perfectly healthy.

              2. There are cells within your body that act as protectors and
              actually attack and kill damaging invader cells. See these warrior
              cells destroy those cells that could cause you injury. See your whole
              body becoming pure. Visualize yourself as perfectly healthy.

              3. There are cells within your body that eat threatening cells.
              See them devour the harm causing structures. See your whole body
              becoming pure. Visualize yourself as perfectly healthy.

              4. Visualize groups of healthy cells combining to replace any
              damaged areas of your body. For instance, if you have suffered a
              broken bone, see the cells come together in healing, bonding together
              to reform a complete structure. Visualize the bone as perfectly healthy.

              5. Visualize healing energy filling you. The energy can be felt to
              originate from a higher power that gifts you with healing. See this
              holy energy filling and changing your cellular structure to a perfect
              condition. Watch as the specific organ, body system, or part heals.
              See your whole body becoming pure. Visualize yourself as perfectly
              healthy.

              6. Visualize yourself standing, sitting, or prostrating in front
              of your personal deity. See your deity heal you by touch. See your
              deity heal you by sending divine energy to you. See your deity end
              your suffering. See your whole body becoming pure. Visualize yourself
              as perfectly healthy.

              7. Get an anatomy book and study the body structure you want
              healing to take place in. Look at how the part appears when in a state
              of perfection. When doing a healing visualization meditation, see your
              body part as being in this state of perfection.

              8. If you are suffering from pain, see in your minds eye, as
              clearly as possible, the nerve endings that are in the specific area
              of your discomfort, or all of the nerve endings in your entire body.
              With every inhalation, feel and visualize healing air flowing from a
              higher power and enter you and fill your lungs. See your red blood
              cells absorb the air through the walls of your lungs and flow through
              your arteries spreading healing oxygen to every cell in your body.
              Witness the inflamed nerve endings become soothed and witness your
              body start to glow with wellbeing and serenity.

              Perhaps the most important suggestion of all is to sincerely want the
              healing to take place and believe that it will occur. The Meditation
              Society of America doesn't favor one religion over another, or even
              suggest that one has to believe in God at all for the benefits of
              meditation to help you, but we do sometimes quote from religious
              sources. In this case, we cite the Bible - Mark 11:24 "...what things
              ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall
              have them."

              This 2000-year-old statement is in perfect accord with the most
              cutting edge scientific and medical understanding of the 21st century.
              To quote Dr. Herbert Benson of the Harvard Medical School, "We know
              that belief can lead to healing or at least improvement in 50 percent
              to 90 percent of diseases, including asthma, angina pectoris, and skin
              rashes, many forms of pain, rheumatoid arthritis, congestive heart
              failure. They're all influenced by belief. We in medicine have made
              fun of belief by calling it the "placebo effect," or insisting that
              "It's all in your head." Yet, belief is one of the most powerful
              healing tools we have in our therapeutic arsenal."
            • Aideen McKenna
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007

                Thanks to Sean & Bob.  Thanks also to the people who responded to Ben’s post, because what they said reminded me that here are other ways of meditating besides sitting on a zafu.

                The cause of my painful joints is no mystery – it’s arthritis, & there are times when it’s more painful than other times.  I exercise irregularly & take long daily walks.

                For the present, I’ll make dish-washing my meditation & I’ll position myself as Witness to the pain in my hands, which is less frightful than hip-joint pain.

                It’s all good.

                Aideen

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007

                  Errata: I exercise regularly, not irregularly.  --Aideen

                  <aideenmck@. ..> wrote:

                  > Lately I tend to fall asleep every time I sit down to meditate;
                  it's a
                  > constant battle to remain awake. Regarding this matter, I find 2
                  > conflicting views in books & articles about meditation. One is to
                  > accept that what's needed at that time is sleep, so if sleep is
                  what
                  > happens, so be it. The other is to regard the sleepiness as the
                  egoic
                  > mind, fearful of annihilation, setting up a hindrance.
                  >
                  > Another problem which arose about the same time as the sleepiness
                  is
                  > pain. Again, I read conflicting advice about whether or not to
                  adjust
                  > my position. Be one with the excruciating pain, or shift the
                  foot,
                  > leg, whatever.
                  >
                  > It's a bad patch I'm going through, I guess, because if it isn't
                  one
                  > thing, it's the other. I'd like to hear what anybody has to say
                  about
                  > it.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Aideen

                  I'm still wondering whether anybody has words of wisdom about the
                  problem of pain to which I referred. Does one go into the pain, as
                  it were, remaining physically still? Or move to alleviate it?
                  Lately, there's always leg pain when I sit down to meditate, so I
                  could be fidgeting constantly. I don't know what to do about this.
                  I'd appreciate some advice.
                  Thanks,
                  Aideen

                  Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

                • Daniel Bonekeeper
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007
                    Aideen, have you tried to sleep as much as you could, to the point where you just can't sleep anymore ? Try this. Sleep until you are fully rested and just can't sleep anymore, even if you tried. Then, try to meditate, and we'll see.

                    About the pain, I can't tell much... personally I like to meditate in an reclinable armchair, very confortable, so it's easy to just forget the body.

                    Daniel

                    <aideenmck@...> wrote:

                    > Lately I tend to fall asleep every time I sit down to meditate;
                    it's a
                    > constant battle to remain awake. Regarding this matter, I find 2
                    > conflicting views in books & articles about meditation. One is to
                    > accept that what's needed at that time is sleep, so if sleep is
                    what
                    > happens, so be it. The other is to regard the sleepiness as the
                    egoic
                    > mind, fearful of annihilation, setting up a hindrance.
                    >
                    > Another problem which arose about the same time as the sleepiness
                    is
                    > pain. Again, I read conflicting advice about whether or not to
                    adjust
                    > my position. Be one with the excruciating pain, or shift the
                    foot,
                    > leg, whatever.
                    >
                    > It's a bad patch I'm going through, I guess, because if it isn't
                    one
                    > thing, it's the other. I'd like to hear what anybody has to say
                    about
                    > it.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Aideen

                    I'm still wondering whether anybody has words of wisdom about the
                    problem of pain to which I referred. Does one go into the pain, as
                    it were, remaining physically still? Or move to alleviate it?
                    Lately, there's always leg pain when I sit down to meditate, so I
                    could be fidgeting constantly. I don't know what to do about this.
                    I'd appreciate some advice.
                    Thanks,
                    Aideen

                    Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

                    "If you are still asking for the result, then a very subtle effort will continuously be there. You will not be just sitting; you cannot just sit if there are any desires. The desire will be a subtle movement in you, and the movement will continue. You may be sitting like a stone or like a buddha, but still within the stone will be moving. Desire is movement."
                  • Grace Yllana
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007
                      Hello all...I'm confused about the pain issue...I heard that part of meditation is to be able to "observe" pain, discomforts and other sensations...and realize they have a shelf life..or are temporary...etc...what is the word on pain..not from arthritis or any ailment...the pain and discomfort that sitting in one position for a long time produce??

                      Grace Yllana

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007

                        Exactly.  That’s what confuses me, too.  ---Aideen

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007
                              --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Grace Yllana
                              <yllanagr@...> wrote:

                              > Does that mean that when the teacher...says locked in one position
                              without moving...we should move and not practice observing the pain? I
                              do know that with practice..I got better and better at observing the
                              pain and watching it come and go...and one time actually "think" it
                              away..like self hypnosis...but during meditation retreat..I passed out
                              from trying to "observe" the pain..I was hyperventilating to be able
                              to keep in the locked position we were told to keep...and I was the
                              only one who was going to move after 2 hours and did not want to be
                              the one..result I passed out and they took me to ER..so still confused
                              on the pain issue..

                              > Grace

                              Working with intense pain - Ram Dass

                              "What I've learned from all this is what a delicate
                              game it is to work with intense pain. Like all
                              the experiences of an incarnation, pain has to be
                              experienced fully by the Ego in order to be an
                              effective learning experience for the Soul, but
                              plunging in like that locks you into the pain.
                              The only solution is to be on two planes at once:
                              you have to enter the pain fully, and yet be in
                              the Soul level at the same time. That's fierce?
                              You feel the full intensity of the pain, and at the
                              same time you transcend it by being in the Witness state.
                              Pain demands that you establish yourself
                              simultaneously in Ego and Soul. What an incredible
                              teacher it is."

                              From: Still Here by Ram Dass
                            • Grace Yllana
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007
                                Thanks...that makes more sense to me now...whether I will ever get to the 2 plane state..I don't know..hopefully it happens with practice.

                                Grace

                                From: Still Here by Ram Dass

                                Be a PS3 game guru.

                              • sean tremblay
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007
                                  The Idea of observing the pain is restricted to the level of minor discomfort. IF pain is continual and extreme that is an indication that there is something wrong biologicaly, remember there is a difference in transending suffering and enduring it.  The practice of Hatha Yoga is to create a mind body connection through fittness and strength as well as flexibility the true purpose of this yoga is to prepare the body for meditation, it frees the mind from the aches and pains a healthy body enables the meditator to focus on meditation rather than getting beyond pain.  In my career I have had to push many physical limits, mentaly override physical pain and injury to achieve a certain goal. The mind can be trained to do this easy enough the threshold for pain increases with exposure BUT this is the extreme and should be reserved for extremes.
                                  As grandpa Harvey always told me
                                  "Bull strength and ignorence will only get you so far"

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 16, 2007
                                    Sure thats true but, bones break, cuts bleed, and the body is subject to physical inury
                                    regardless of the state ID, Ego, soul, Super Ego, planes of existence. A brocken bone needs mending you can check your inner self after the emergency room visit.
                                    A man was shot with a poison arrow
                                    many rushed to pull it out
                                    Before they did the man wanted to know
                                    who shot the arrow