Re: [Meditation Society of America] New paper on meditation

  • Daniel Bonekeeper
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 10 4:01 PM
      Vou comentar em inglês pros outros participarem =)
      ---

      Since I don't have an MRI at home, I' can just comment this regarding my own experiences with meditation LOL

      I disagree with the concept of having a fixed "anchor" (being it the breath, "self-focus", etc). Some techniques like Vipassana, of course, may start having the breath as an anchor, that I do not discuss. Nevertheless, some other techniques may have no anchor at all (or in other words, the anchor being a lack of anchors). Speaking from my own experiences, I can meditate having no anchor at all (putting simply, the technique being the absence of any technique, where no actions take place -- not even the action of making sure that no actions are taking place, which includes thoughts). The anchor would be just a state of "being", with no focus in any particular place or feeling or idea, where no thoughts occur (an as a consequence, the loss of time-keeping). Sometimes it seems like I've been meditating for 10 or 20 minutes when 1:30h or 2:00h have passed on.

      ' Some neuroscientists argued that "...it is not clear that during meditation there is no purpose or expectation (of course we can have the belief, although unfounded, that we have no purpose or expectation) because, at the very minimum, we have the expectation of remaining in the meditative state for a few minutes and the expectation that the state will end at some time. We cannot forget that we are meditating..." '

      I disagree with this statement too (I would love to know if those neuroscientists are also meditators). With time, one learns to just sit and meditate without purpose or expectation (actually this is almost one of the requirements for a good meditation -- to not have any expectation at all that may influentiate the experience). It is very possible to just sit down and have no expectations at all - not even of remaining in a meditative state - and forget that we're meditating (of course that, for me personally, it takes some minutes to get to this point). We forget that we're meditating, and forget that we must end the meditation eventually. It just goes on by itself, and we come back when we're supposed to come back (which is one more reason to just let go and don't worry about forgetting that we're meditating, because we won't just go on meditating forever until someone shakes you up). If "we cannot forget that we are meditating", then we're not stopping our thoughts, then you're not really still (not in the physical sense), then you're not really meditating.

      Daniel

      On 7/10/07, Roberto Cardoso <rdcardoso@...> wrote:

      Dear member of Meditation Society

      I'm sending you, attached, our new paper, concerning the prefrontal cortex in meditation, recently published in Neuroquantology.

      Best wishes;

      Roberto Cardoso
       rdcardoso@...

      Verificador de Segurança do Windows Live OneCare: remova já o lixo do seu PC! Saiba mais!

      --
      "If you are still asking for the result, then a very subtle effort will continuously be there. You will not be just sitting; you cannot just sit if there are any desires. The desire will be a subtle movement in you, and the movement will continue. You may be sitting like a stone or like a buddha, but still within the stone will be moving. Desire is movement."