Self Mastery

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1 10:16 PM
      This article appeared in issue #6 of our newsletter,
      The Inner Traveler. We spent quite a bit of time this
      weekend reviewing the wisdom found here and felt that
      we should share it. And since what this group is all
      about is sharing those things that have the potential
      to elevate consciousness, here it is. Enjoy!

      Self Mastery
      By Swami Satchidananda

      When negative thoughts come up in the mind there
      are two things you can do. Either you can ignore
      them or you can face and analyze them. But you
      should never control, deny, or submerge negative
      thoughts. If you can't ignore the thoughts, then
      face them, analyze them, and question yourself.
      For example, if a fearful thought comes into the
      mind, first try to ignore it. Because the more
      attention you give it, the more it will invite
      itself in. It recognizes a captive audience!
      Negative thoughts also gain strength by having
      you pay attention to them. It gives them energy
      that they feed upon and then they will grow in
      strength.

      First ignore it. How would you ignore it? By
      putting some positive thoughts into the mind.
      Think positive thoughts and cultivate the opposite
      of the negative thought. For example, if a hateful
      thought comes into the mind, shout from the rooftop:
      "I love everybody! Everybody loves me!" Keep on
      shouting it. And if you keep on doing that, the
      negative thought may wait for a little while and
      then it will get tired and walk out. It will realize
      that you are not going to give it any attention,
      any energy, and it will begin to dissipate in its
      strength.

      But if you are unable to ignore a thought, face it
      and question that thought, "What kind of thought
      are you? Why are you here? What do you want to
      do with me?" If you have trouble putting in positive
      thoughts and if the negative thought is more stubborn,
      more strong than your new, positive thought, then
      analyze. Question the thought, "Hey, come on, tell
      me, what is the problem? Why are you bothering me?
      What do you want to do with me? Why are you here?"
      Challenge your negative thoughts. Utilize your
      intelligence to analyze it and root it out. But never,
      never suppress negative thoughts. This only feeds the
      thought which will temporarily go into hiding and then
      will pop out, with more force, at any time.

      If you can, don't act out negative thoughts. Because
      acting it out will renew the thought or feeling. It is
      similar to a desire or habit you are trying to tame.
      Suppose you are trying to lose weight and so you decide
      to stop eating all the chocolate you eat. How many
      times would you have told yourself, "Well, I can just
      eat one." The next thing you know, you are reaching
      for a second, then a third piece. You may say, "Oh,
      this is definitely the last piece." Until the box is
      empty, every piece is the last piece. This is because
      every time you eat one more, you are fulfilling the
      mind's desire and strengthening it. It's like
      disciplining a child. If the child knows they can
      push the limits, they will. And the next time, they
      will push a little more and a little more. Until you no
      longer are in charge, but your child is. It is the same
      with the mind. The more you give into the negative
      thinking or bad habits, the more they grab hold of you.
      Desires should never be renewed.

      Our ancient scriptures used to say that if you want
      the fire to go out, take the firewood away instead of
      adding more firewood. Negative thinking, bad habits,
      and unwanted desires are like fire. Don't let them
      get fulfilled, don't give opportunities for them to
      get fulfilled. Then they will slowly, for want of
      growth, for want of opportunities to get renewed, they
      will slowly wither and die. But, if instead, you
      fulfill them every time, they become stronger.

      Many people are afraid of knowing what their problems are.
      They just want to swallow a pill and forget everything.
      Instead they wake up with several new problems. They
      want to be ostriches. When there is danger in sight,
      they want to bury their heads in the sand. But that
      doesn't mean they have solved their problems. Once we
      understand and solve our problems we become masters.
      There is no other way if you want to be the master of
      your mind. No matter how much you try to convince
      yourself that you don't want it to go on anymore, it
      never happens that way. There's no "last" indulgence.
      It just goes on and on and on. But instead, you
      should stand firm with your mind: "No, I'm not going
      to give you what you want! It's not good for you.
      These are the reasons why this will not help you."

      Explain the pros and cons to your own mind, as you
      would explain to a patient or your own son or
      daughter. You become the doctor or the expert.
      Talk to your mind as your patient or student, "Okay,
      you are looking for one more piece of cake. You may
      think that you want it; that it will make you happy.
      But how many times did you try that in the past?
      What happened? You still weren't satisfied; it
      didn't make you happy to have the piece of cake or
      just have one last cigarette. How many times did
      you say, `that is the last time.' Where is the
      guarantee that this will be the last time. And every
      time you did that what happened, how did you feel
      afterwards? Terrible. So? Do you want to feel that
      way again? Talk to your mind like that. You have to
      educate the mind and make it understand that by
      running after things or by negative thinking, it is
      not going to bring you closer to peace or happiness.

      Question the mind fully. Help it to realize how much
      energy you lose every time you get involved with bad
      habits. Remind yourself of all the ill effects that
      happen in relation to indulging in the bad habit. And
      convince your mind that by developing that kind of
      willpower, that power of mind, how great it will be.
      hen you really become strong-minded, rather than
      weak, people will admire you. Present the positive
      side to your mind. Argue the pros and cons of what
      you are trying to do and in this way you can educate
      your mind.

      The mind can be like a naughty child and you have to
      be the parent who practices "tough love." It's
      something like training a pet; you don't just give in
      every time. If it doesn't obey you, you have to tell
      your puppy, "No, I won't give you the biscuit if
      you don't obey. If you do, then come and take it."
      Only when it listens to you, obeys you, you feel so
      happy. Not just by giving in. Occasionally, when it
      really feels too much, once in awhile, okay, give a
      little rope. Don't be too rough also. Training a
      wild horse or training a puppy calls for a firm hand
      but a loving heart.

      Swamiji is the founder of the Integral Yoga Institutes.
      For more information, please see the Yogaville web site
      http://www.yogaville.org
    • sedema hayford
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2 6:58 AM
        can u please teach me how to meditate
        i will be very glad if u teach me

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2 9:40 AM
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, sedema hayford
          <tur_shin@...> wrote:

          > can u please teach me how to meditate
          > i will be very glad if u teach me

          Dear Sedema,
          There are dozens of "how to do" meditation instructions
          on our web site, Meditation Station
          http://www.meditationsociety.com/
          There are also many articles that share Concepts of
          Meditation and also an informative one titled
          "What is Meditation" that will give you a good idea
          of the basics of what meditation is all about.
          I suggest actually trying to do one or a few of the
          techniques on the site as there is no better way to
          learn about meditation than by meditating. The more you
          practice meditation the more and more valuable it will
          be for you, and I really believe that there is no better
          thing you can do for yourself than meditation.