Re: [Meditation Society of America] Fwd: Help me out

  • rahul dhiman
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 16, 2007
      hello my dear friend,
                                        i have read ur mail there is nothing to fear.
        i am telling u one thing just follow it, u will get good results i.e- Do not meditate before sleeping  otherwise u will fall into dreams and when u r doing meditation after meditating do not dare to open ur eyes directly leave meditation and take rest for 2 minutes with ur close eyes and then open ur eyes if u will open ur eyes direclty after meditation then obviously u will get shock...
                            Do not forget to reply me if u want good resuts

      armaan shah <armaanwithu@...> wrote:

      Note: forwarded message attached.

      Download prohibited? No problem! CHAT from any browser, without download.
      Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 12:34:02 +0100 (BST)
      From: armaan shah <armaanwithu@...>
      Subject: Help me out
      To: contact@...

      Dear meditators,
      I am armaan, i have written befor many times,
      I do not meditate by sitting with close my eyes while I
      meditate by lying with close my eyes.As well as I try to live each
      moment of life with total knowledge ,full of energy,full
      concentration .I try to live each moment of life with as a living
      thing not as non living thing. I try to forget the thoughts of
      meditation or anything related this journey with doing any work.
       Three or four times when I was meditating with close of my eyes
      I have shocked I means it did not happen befor i do not know I was
      whr but something is unknown than I have forget myself still I had
      power to come back, first time when it happened I feard very much and
      come back as soon than I did not dare to meditating with close of my
      eyes for about three months but after three monts I did meditate
      with close of my eyes with the thoughts of do or die .
       This is happened three or four times in last one year, I don't
      know what is that ?,this position was only less than a minute or more than a minute.I did not know.

      Now a day, suppose my eyes are opened, i am seeing but not concentrate on anything even not any thoughts (nothing action by me ) than my forhead's muscles vibrate and i am going somewhere, i mean something is going happend. I am being fear very much, i am not taking my sleep properly due to fear.This is unknown situation for me.
      Please help me out ,what is happing with me .Is it not the symbol of any danger.
      I will wait for your response/

      Armaan

      Once upon a time there was 1 GB storage on Yahoo! Mail. Click here for happy ending!

    • waruag
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 19, 2007
        Hi Armaan,
        wel I am just a beginner to meditation & this is my first writing in
        this group.
        I had heard of meditation since my childhood , as my parents practise
        it. According to a belief, our soul is loaded with KARMAs and
        desires, these act as the biggest obstracles in our way to
        meditation. Our desire & possessiveness about our physical body,
        prohibits our soul to leave it and wander in its own mystic ,
        peaceful world. the mind (called mann) is the most repulsive
        thoughtmaker & scares the soul to leave the body. Our initial
        control over our mind & conditioning of mind is the most important
        thing to do in the beginning.

        I am not a practitioner in myself & am just beginning on this path,
        but this is what I have heard & learnt.
        Please refer to more sincere advise by seniors too.

        Good Wishes, God bless
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, rahul dhiman

        wrote:

        > Note: forwarded message attached.
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        > Download prohibited? No problem! CHAT from any browser, without
        download.

        > Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 12:34:02 +0100 (BST)
        > From: armaan shah <armaanwithu@...>
        > Subject: Help me out
        > To: contact@...
        >
        > Dear meditators,
        > I am armaan, i have written befor many times,
        > I do not meditate by sitting with close my eyes while I
        > meditate by lying with close my eyes.As well as I try to live each
        > moment of life with total knowledge ,full of energy,full
        > concentration .I try to live each moment of life with as a living
        > thing not as non living thing. I try to forget the thoughts of
        > meditation or anything related this journey with doing any work.
        > Three or four times when I was meditating with close of my eyes
        > I have shocked I means it did not happen befor i do not know I was
        > whr but something is unknown than I have forget myself still I had
        > power to come back, first time when it happened I feard very much
        and
        > come back as soon than I did not dare to meditating with close of my
        > eyes for about three months but after three monts I did meditate
        > with close of my eyes with the thoughts of do or die .
        > This is happened three or four times in last one year, I don't
        > know what is that ?,this position was only less than a minute or
        more than a minute.I did not know.

        > Now a day, suppose my eyes are opened, i am seeing but not
        concentrate on anything even not any thoughts (nothing action by me )
        than my forhead's muscles vibrate and i am going somewhere, i mean
        something is going happend. I am being fear very much, i am not
        taking my sleep properly due to fear.This is unknown situation for
        me.
        > Please help me out ,what is happing with me .Is it not the symbol
        of any danger.
        > I will wait for your response/
        >
        > Armaan
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        > Once upon a time there was 1 GB storage on Yahoo! Mail. Click here
        for happy ending!

        > ---------------------------------
        new Car Finder tool.

      • Benjamin Buehne
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007

          Study: Meditators 'surprisingly' alert

          ADELAIDE, Australia, July 6 (UPI) -- Meditation produces changes in brain waves associated with being increasingly alert, an Australian researcher says.
          Dylan DeLosAngeles, of the Flinders Medical Center in Adelaide, is to present his findings this month at the World Congress of Neuroscience in Melbourne.
          Previous studies proved conflicting about meditation's impact on the brain, with some studies reporting that meditators were asleep, DeLosAngeles said.
          DeLosAngeles asked 13 people in a meditation group to describe their experiences of five different meditative states. DeLosAngeles then measured brain activity in each state using an electroencephalograph, the Australian Broadcasting Corp. reported Friday.
          DeLosAngeles said he found an increase in alpha brain waves associated with alertness, focus, attention and concentration, and a decrease in delta brain waves associated with drowsiness or sleep.
          "Meditation is a finely held state of attentiveness and alertness that differs from eyes-closed resting or sleep," he concluded.
          Copyright 2007 by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.
          http://www.sciencedaily.com/upi/index.php?feed=Science&article=UPI-1-20070706-15371300-bc-australia-meditation-crn.xml

          Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Benjamin Buehne
            <benbuehne@...> wrote:

            > Study: Meditators 'surprisingly' alertADELAIDE, Australia, July 6
            (UPI) -- Meditation produces changes in brain waves associated with
            being increasingly alert, an Australian researcher says.
            > Dylan DeLosAngeles, of the Flinders Medical Center in Adelaide, is
            to present his findings this month at the World Congress of
            Neuroscience in Melbourne.
            > Previous studies proved conflicting about meditation's impact on
            the brain, with some studies reporting that meditators were asleep,
            DeLosAngeles said.
            > DeLosAngeles asked 13 people in a meditation group to describe
            their experiences of five different meditative states. DeLosAngeles
            then measured brain activity in each state using an
            electroencephalograph, the Australian Broadcasting Corp. reported Friday.
            > DeLosAngeles said he found an increase in alpha brain waves
            associated with alertness, focus, attention and concentration, and a
            decrease in delta brain waves associated with drowsiness or sleep.
            > "Meditation is a finely held state of attentiveness and alertness
            that differs from eyes-closed resting or sleep," he concluded.
            > Copyright 2007 by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.

            http://www.sciencedaily.com/upi/index.php?feed=Science&article=UPI-1-20070706-15371300-bc-australia-meditation-crn.xml

            The "problem" with these studies is that for every one
            like this one (which I feel is right on), there is another
            that questions the other (see below). So, I think that
            the best way to know what meditation can do is by meditating.

            The Therapeutic Value Of Meditation Unproven, Study Found
            Main Category: Complementary Medicine / Alternative Medicine News
            Article Date: 04 Jul 2007 - 6:00 PDT
            "There is an enormous amount of interest in using
            meditation as a form of therapy to cope with a
            variety of modern-day health problems, especially
            hypertension, stress and chronic pain, but the
            majority of evidence that seems to support this
            notion is anecdotal, or it comes from poor quality
            studies," say Maria Ospina and Kenneth Bond,
            researchers at the University of Alberta/Capital
            Health Evidence-based Practice Center in Edmonton, Canada.

            In compiling their report, Ospina, Bond and their
            fellow researchers analyzed a mountain of medical
            and psychological literature - 813 studies in all -
            looking at the impact of meditation on conditions
            such as hypertension, cardiovascular diseases and
            substance abuse.

            They found some evidence that certain types of
            meditation reduce blood pressure and stress in
            clinical populations. Among healthy individuals,
            practices such as Yoga seemed to increase verbal
            creativity and reduce heart rate, blood pressure
            and cholesterol. However, Ospina says no firm
            conclusions on the effects of meditation practices
            in health care can be drawn based on the available
            evidence because the existing scientific research
            is characterized by poor methodological quality and
            does not appear to have a common theoretical perspective.

            "Future research on meditation practices must be more
            rigorous in the design and execution of studies and
            in the analysis and reporting of results," Ospina explains.

            But the researchers caution against dismissing the
            therapeutic value of meditation outright. "This
            report's conclusions shouldn't be taken as a sign
            that meditation doesn't work," Bond says. "Many
            uncertainties surround the practice of meditation.
            For medical practitioners who are seeking to make
            evidence-based decisions regarding the therapeutic
            value of meditation, the report shows that the
            evidence is inconclusive regarding its effectiveness."
            For the general public, adds Ospina, "this research
            highlights that choosing to practice a particular
            meditation technique continues to rely solely on
            individual experiences and personal preferences,
            until more conclusive scientific evidence is produced."

            The report, published June 2007 and titled Meditation
            Practices for Health: State of the Research, identified
            five broad categories of meditation practices: mantra
            meditation, mindfulness meditation, Yoga, Tai Chi and
            Qi Gong. Transcendental Meditation and relaxation
            response (both of which are forms of mantra meditation)
            were the most commonly studied types of meditation.
            Studies involving Yoga and mindfulness meditation were
            also common.

            ----------------------------
            Article adapted by Medical News Today from original
            press release.
            ----------------------------

            The research was conducted by the University of
            Alberta Evidence-based Practice Center under contract
            to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services'
            Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. It was
            requested and funded by the National Center for
            Complementary and Alternative Medicine in Bethesda, Md.

            Contact: Isabela C. Varela
            University of Alberta

            FAIR USE NOTICE
            This site contains copyrighted material the use of
            which has not always been specifically authorized by
            the copyright owner. We are making such material
            available in our efforts to advance understanding
            of environmental, political, human rights, economic,
            democracy,scientific, spiritual, and social justice
            issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use'
            for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In
            accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the
            material on this site is distributed without profit
            to those who have expressed a prior interest in
            receiving the included information for research and
            educational purposes. For more information go to:
            http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you
            wish to use copyrighted material from this site for
            purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you
            must obtain permission from the copyright owner
          • Benjamin Buehne
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 15, 2007
              HI all,
              I have been thinking about a troubling predicament, one that has been brought to light after embarking on a new career.  How is one to balance between the physical and the spiritual.

              I ask this as my new job requires many hours and at times can be quite stressful.  This has interfered with my practice of meditation both in the amount of time devoted to it and the effectiveness of it.

              The solution seems simple at first, if one can't complete a job and remain spiritual than the job must go.  However, according to several schools of thought, it is your physical actions and work in and of themselves that are more important than the act of meditation.  Otherwise my gift of life would go to waste... not to mention I would have a more difficult time actually living (paying bills and whatnot).

              I know others here have had to struggle with similar dilemmas.  What philosophies have you all followed concerning meeting this balance and what advice can you give.

              Thanks all,
              Ben

            • Citizens Active
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 15, 2007
                Turn yourself to "walking" meditation.  When something does not need your full focus, meditate.  This may not not the deep meditation but it works and helps keep us grounded and centered throughtout our days.  I meditate myself to sleep everynight.  I meditate at the gym in between sets.  I meditate and send blessings while driving.  You may be surprised how intune and aware this will make you.  Give it a try, I hope it helps.  If you can meditate even for only 10 minutes, its better than none.  I would at least try to set some time for yourself at least once for longer meditations.

                Goodluck in your endeavors,
                Many blessings,

                Mike

[...]

                Share your inspiration, www.learnteachcreate.com

              • Sandeep
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 16, 2007

                  Turn your very work into a meditativeness.

                  While working, witness the enfolding of the work, witness the reactions, responses arising, running a durational length
                  and then dissipating.

                  Watch the sense of concern, fear, despair, defeat associated with the enfolding of the work.

                  Watch the sense of elation, satisfaction, pride associated with the enfolding of the work.

                  Watching the building up of a sense of hope with the enfolding of the work.

                  Watch the changes in the depth and quality of breath and breathing patterns associated with the arising sense of concern or elation et al.

                  Turn your non-working hours into the same meditativeness, in the same manner.

                  Benjamin Buehne wrote:

[...]

                  .

                • Daniel Bonekeeper
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 16, 2007
                    Hi Ben,

                    I can relate in part with your problem. I do have time to meditate at home, but my work needs extreme focus and concentration to be done, which makes it very difficult to do it with mindfulness (I'm a computer programmer, so I have to always be focused on writing programs or even more focused while debugging them lol)

                    What I can tell you is what my master's master said: conscience is a continuum. It doesn't stop when you stop meditating, and if you think that it is ok to be concious only when you're meditating and then you can go about your day in unconsciousness, you're fooling yourself.

                    So, by default, even if you had no time to do regular sitting meditations (which is kinda unbelievable, because we always have time, we just fool ourselves), you can still practice mindfulness in everything you do, which help us in developing our awareness further and deepens our sitting meditations. Do you have time to sleep ? If you are like me, you can see that meditation relaxes you (so 1 hour of meditation relaxes you like 3 hours of sleeping)... so why not take one hour out of sleeping to meditate ?

                    My biggest obstacle right now is really mindfulness -- it is still hard to me to remember myself when I'm programming with 12 ssh sessions opened, have a meeting in 20 minutes while two servers are having problems that need to be fixed, three guys waiting for a technical answer from me, etc. Luckly things aren't that hectic every time =)

                    As a side note, one thing that I've noticed (and this is my personal opinion and experience, so it may change next week), is that mindfulness is not really something you practise, that you do. It is a byproduct that comes from awareness, I think, and not the other way around. To explain... I can go all day trying to remember myself, and be aware of every action that I make, but it is always something hard to do, that requires much effort, and feels unnatural. On the other hand, whenever I end my regular meditations (let's say a 2 hours meditation), I notice that I "practise" mindfulness without even trying -- I become mindful without effort, it just flows. Naturally, I become aware of every movement of the body and mind... unfortunately, after a while, it wears off...

                    Another personal thought about this subject... there's no distinction between "the physical and the spiritual", the same way as there is no distinction between science and magic =) You're always physical, and you are always be spiritual, they aren't converging things, nor co-related things. Even wearing your shoes is a physical act, and should also be a spiritual act.

                    Daniel

                    On 7/15/07, Benjamin Buehne <benbuehne@...> wrote:

[...]

                    "If you are still asking for the result, then a very subtle effort will continuously be there. You will not be just sitting; you cannot just sit if there are any desires. The desire will be a subtle movement in you, and the movement will continue. You may be sitting like a stone or like a buddha, but still within the stone will be moving. Desire is movement."