Wisdom from the JerzyDevilKnife Forum

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2007
      What is this mind?
      Who is hearing these sounds?
      Do not mistake any state for
      Self-realization, but continue
      To ask yourself even more intensely,
      What is it that hears?

      -Bassui

      If you want to be free,
      Get to know your real self.
      It has no form, no appearance,
      No root, no basis, no abode,
      But is lively and buoyant.
      It responds with versatile facility,
      But its function cannot be located.
      Therefore when you look for it,
      You become further from it;
      When you seek it,
      You turn away from it all the more.

      - Linji

      Old pond,
      frog jumps in
      ...splash

      - Basho

      A master was asked the question, "What is the Way?"
      by a curious monk.
      "It is right before yous eyes," said the master.
      "Why do I not see it for myself?"
      "Because you are thinking of yourself."
      "What about you: do you see it?"
      "So long as you see double, saying 'I don't', and 'you do',
      and so on, your eyes are clouded," said the master.
      "When there is neither 'I' nor 'You', can one see it?"
      "When there is neither 'I' nor 'You', who is the one
      that wants to see it?"

      -traditional

      A university student while visiting Gasan asked him:
      "Have you ever read the Christian Bible?"

      "No, read it to me," said Gasan.

      The student opened the Bible and read from St. Matthew:
      "And why take ye thought for rainment? Consider the
      lilies of the field, how they grow. They toil not,
      neither do they spin, and yet I say unto you that even
      Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of
      these... Take therefore no thought for the morrow,
      for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself."

      Gasan said: "Whoever uttered those words I consider
      an enlightened man."

      The student continued reading: "Ask and it shall be given
      you, seek and ye shall find, knock and it shall be
      opened unto you. For everyone that asketh receiveth,
      and he that seeketh findeth, and to him that knocketh,
      it shall be opened."

      Gasan remarked: "That is excellent. Whoever said that is not far from
      Buddhahood."

      - around 1868