Re: [Meditation Society of America] Thoughts on individuality

  • Sandeep
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3, 2007
      Hello Aideen,

      Yes, the root meaning of the word "repent" is .............return.

      Not penance, or sacrifice or whatever is the guilt-trip that is laid out with a promise of salvation........

      ....... but return.

      Aideen McKenna wrote:

      Sunday morning here, & the first thing that I read is Sean’s message.  Thanks for it, Sean.

      Having been raised a Catholic in a kind of hothouse atmosphere & then completely removing myself from that milieu, it took a very long time for me to be able to re-discover Jesus of Nazareth & to be able to think about his words & his life without the filter provided for me.  Something like “…unless ye be converted & be as these little children, ye shall not enter the kingdom of heaven…“.  It’s only after all these years that I “get” that.  “Converted” doesn’t mean being baptized into the only “right” church, or any church.  It doesn’t mean a profession of belief in a list of doctrines &/or adherence to a huge list of rules.  It refers to a kind of turning around, turning back, to a time before life got so cluttered & chock-full of judgement, before I went outside of myself to look for the kingdom of heaven all over the place, forgetting that I used to live in it, & if I didn’t keep getting in my own way, I’d totally realize that I still do, if I’d only be still & pay attention.  Rabbi Yeshua was saying “get back to where you once belonged” (Lennon/McCartney) .  That’s what I think, anyway.