Re: Where to Meditate

  • Sanjay Agrawal
    Message 1 of 2 , May 19 2:51 AM
      Hi,

      I agree with you as well as Swami Sivanananda on the impact of one's location and surroundings on meditative effort.

      One of the properties of the brain is generating sinusoidal waves (detected using EEG) at all times, 24X7. These are always in what physicists call the ELF (extremely low frequency) range. During meditation, the brain's electrical activity shifts to alpha (8-12 Hz) state and below. When the thoughts are of violent or sensual nature, the frequency goes up to higher range (40Hz and above). Both meditation and thinking are processes of the mind, that is why one can submit that it is the mind that drives the brain.

      At the same time, like any other device capable of generating such waves, the brain too can be influenced by interference / resonance with other waves present in ether. So when one is present in a location where the ether is full of vibrations pertaining to thoughts of violence or sensuality or any of the basal senses, then these vibrations can automatically influence the brain's electrical activity to resonate to the corresponding frequencies. This causes the corresponding thoughts to be generated in one's own mind. So the state of the brain drives the brain, too: it is a two-way street between the brain and the mind.

      When one is not alert about the flotsam of thoughts passing through the mindscape, it is very easy to go with the flow. To people, therefore, who find it a struggle to control their flotsams, being in a properly-built meditation chamber - such as the one your student constructed - does help.

      My two pennies. I have a few of such pennies on my blog here: http://success-nirvana.blogspot.com.

      Sanjay.