Book Review of "Sit Down and Shut Up"

    Message 1 of 1 , May 11 7:15 PM
      Aliyah Salotti is one of the most naturally
      spiritually inclined people I know. She recently
      accepted our offer to supply books that we
      receive from publishers for review. If you too are
      interested in doing reviews, please email me.
      I hope this will be just the first of many more
      reviews that Aliyah will share with us.
      Review of "Sit Down and Shut Up"
      At first glance Brad Warners book " Sit Down and Shut Up "
      seems much like the rantings of a boy who lost his way,
      then found it, then lost it again. Just as many of us
      have gone through the trials and tribulations of
      adolescence, Warner questions religions and all authority,
      even seems to favor anarchy. Warner has the confidence to
      write about and understand his own journey and all he has
      learned from his experiences. He dares to call Buddhist's
      "drippy", and in Chapter 3 he explains the true reasons
      his wisdom should be appreciated. His light and humorous
      approach to Dharma, Zen, Dogen and spirituality is
      refreshing. My favorite chapter is titled "Buddha is
      boring". Warner definitely makes Buddha not-so-boring with
      his clever interpretations. He is witty and charming even
      though his intention is probably the opposite. He explains
      a sometimes overwhelming spirituality with a passion that
      will spark even the well versed in the world of Buddhism
      & true spirituality.
      Brad Warner is writing to a 21st Century Western audience
      without the usual eighteenth century antiquated verbosity.
      Similar to Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M.
      Pirsig, Werner is ahead of his time with this novel.
      Quoting everyone from the Dalai Lama to Ted from Bill and
      Ted's Excellent Adventure, this is by far the most
      interesting and well rounded of the books on Zen. This book
      is a shining adaptation of how we should see Zen. "No one
      but you can take responsibility for you.." Pg 51

      Aliyah is the Director of a Goddard School in Pennsylvania

      This book can be ordered from Amazon here:
      http://tinyurl.com/39fwxy