Re: [Meditation Society of America] Love the One you're with.

  • sean tremblay
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 16, 2007
      Thanks Sonam, that makes sense, I have another question to field. If there is no Deity, then what is the point of origin for existence?

      Marc Moss <jellybean0729@...> wrote:
      Sean:

      Due to the perceptual process, beings see themselves as taking rebirth. This process accords to laws that govern the world to which our mindstream concords. The linear dynamics of expression through time and space appear as manifestations to which we are subject, but there are ultimately no absolutes here.

      If smoking cigarettes is the cause for lung cancer, then everyone who smokes will die of cancer. George Burns should not have lived a happy life while smoking many cigars a day. Maybe he never saw them as something that threatened his life, but something that was just another pleasant thing within a life of many pleasant things. For me, I don't think smoking is a gamble that I should be taking, and can feel the effects of its harmful qualities on my lungs. But, i don't think that my outlook on life has been nearly as optimistic as George's...until recently!

      The majority of beings radiate a certain level of consciousness and we are all on a ladder to either climb up or down those different levels. This is made more clear when one has attained the Path of Seeing and then ascends the Ten Bhumis, or levels.

      For us ordinary folk, we only see linear dynamics unfold before us: A causes B causes C; but nonlinear dynamics shows that ABC must already exist for this to unfold. Time/Space is a concept that is not an absolute, not an ultimate as Nagarjuna clearly demonstrated in the Mulamadhyamikakarik a. So, in the process of linear expression, if you died in 1970 your next life follows that stream of ripening in a linear manner through the same process of time/space. For an enlightened being, time/space is different... but not really contradictory to its ultimate nature. This would be why the omniscience of a Buddha is able to see past, present and future simulataneously.

      www.hagelin. org has a wonderful video (if you have an hour and a half) of a summary of the quantum physical findings to date. There are many wonderful things to gleen from this, but remember, science is currently at the Madhyamika-Svatantr ika level of understanding reality...it' s got a little way go!

      Sonam

      Looking for earth-friendly autos?

      Get your own web address.

    • Marc Moss
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 16, 2007
        The answer to that question is not necessary for enlightenement...and once you get there, you'll know that answer without asking anything.

        in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel
        to find your fit.
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 17, 2007
          <jeff@...> wrote:

          > When the magic of meditation
          > brings the internal chatter to
          > absolute silence, transcendence
          > is the default awareness.
          >
          > It is not enough to simply be
          > in the moment.
          >
          > Transcendence falls in love
          > with every moment.
          >
          > That is the only choice of free
          > will - to maintain the silence
          > and choiceless love of life or
          > allow the chatter to regain its
          > false claim as primary identity.
          >
          > As soon as we wish any moment
          > were different than it is, we open
          > the door to trance, once again.
          >
          > "The seeker meditates to attain,,
          > the awakened meditates to maintain."
          > -- Ramana Maharshi

          Yo Papajeff,
          I love this post, and really enjoyed the
          Ramana quote. I really think it's one of
          the most potentially consciousness
          evolving ones I've seen this year. Thanks!