Seeking Parable Info: River Missing Clouds; River Becomes Lonely...

  • Charles Snow
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1 11:18 AM
      Hello There !!

      Terribly sorry to intrude, but I'm in need of expert Meditational,
      Buddhist, or merely Philosophical advice...

      I'm seeking an in-depth version of a philosophical parable I've heard
      recently. The basic premise is this: "There once was a river who
      enjoyed his life immensely, and his best friend{s}in the entire world
      were a set of clouds in the sky. One day the river awoke to find the
      clouds had disappeared, and he was sad, lonely, and troubled beyond
      description... The Sun came-out and explained to the river that the
      clouds didn't simply disappear, they had turned-into condensation and
      through the form of rain, they'd rained down into the Earth and
      actually become a part of the river itself... The Sun explained to
      the river that he shouldn't be sad because he hadn't really lost
      anything -- he had absorbed the clouds, so therfore he shouldn't be
      sad or lonely."

      Does anyone out there have any idea where I can locate on the
      Internet a more precise version of this parable ?

      Even a book reference for a book I could order would be most
      welcomed. I'm really trying to find this original story / parable and
      I'm not having much luck doing a "Google" search on the Internet.

      I'd be very grateful indeed !! Thanks so very much !!

      -- Charles Snow -- Atlanta, Georgia --
      AWayOfLifeMyPathWorthyOfLaundry@... or BenVereen@... .
    • Jeff Belyea
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1 12:41 PM
        The River and the Clouds

        Thich Nhat Hanh

        Once upon a time there was a beautiful river finding her way among
        the hills, forests, and meadows. She began by being a joyful stream
        of water, a spring always dancing and singing as she ran down from
        the top of the mountain. She was very young at the time, and as she
        came to the lowland she slowed down. She was thinking about going to
        the ocean. As she grew up, she learned to look beautiful, winding
        gracefully among the hills and meadows.

        One day she noticed the clouds within herself. Clouds of all sorts
        of colors and forms. She did nothing during these days but chase
        after clouds. She wanted to possess a cloud, to have one for
        herself. But clouds float and travel in the sky, and they are always
        changing their form. Sometimes they look like an overcoat, sometimes
        like a horse. Because of the nature of impermanence within the
        clouds, the river suffered very much. Her pleasure, her joy had
        become just chasing after clouds, one after another, but despair,
        anger,and hatred became her life.

        Then one day a strong wind came and blew away all the clouds in the
        sky. The sky became completely empty. Our river thought that life
        was not worth living, for there were no longer any clouds to chase
        after. She wanted to die. "If there are no clouds, why should I be
        alive?" But how can a river take her own life?

        That night the river had the opportunity to go back to herself for
        the first time. She had been running for so long after something
        outside of herself that she had never seen herself. That night was
        the first opportunity for her to hear her own crying, the sounds of
        water crashing against the banks of the river. Because she was able
        to listen to her own voice, she discovered something quite important.

        She realized that what she had been looking for was already in
        herself. She found out that clouds are nothing but water. Clouds are
        born from water and will return to water. And she found out she
        herself was also water.

        The next morning when the sun was in the sky, she discovered
        something beautiful. She saw the blue sky for the first time. She
        had never noticed it before. She had only been interested in clouds,
        and she had missed seeing the sky, which is the home of all the
        clouds. Clouds are impermanent, but the sky is stable. She realized
        that the immense sky had been within her heart since the very
        beginning. This great insight brought her peace and happiness. As
        she saw the vast wonderful blue sky, she knew that her peace and
        stability would never be lost again.

        That afternoon the clouds returned, but this time she did not want
        to possess any of them. She could see the beauty of each cloud, and
        she was able to welcome all of them. When a cloud came by, she would
        greet him or her with loving-kindness. When the cloud wanted to go
        away, she would wave to him or her happily and with loving kindness.
        She realized that all clouds are her. She didn't have to choose
        between the clouds and herself. Peace and harmony existed between
        her and the clouds.

        That evening something wonderful happened. When she opened her heart
        completely to the evening sky she received the image of the full
        moon - beautiful, round, like a jewel within herself. She had never
        imagined that she could receive such a beautiful image. There is a
        very beautiful poem in Chinese: "The fresh and beautiful moon is
        travelling in the utmost empty sky. When the mind-rivers of living
        beings are free, that image of the beautiful moon will reflect in
        each of us."

        This was the mind of the river at that moment. She received the
        image of that beautiful moon within her heart, and water, clouds,
        and moon took each other's hands and practiced walking meditation
        slowly, slowly to the ocean.

        There is nothing to chase after. We can go back to ourselves, enjoy
        our breathing, our smiling, ourselves, and our beautiful
        environment.

        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Snow"

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4 6:14 AM
          Thanks a million !! That's great !! You can't imagine how many sources
          on the Internet said they'd never heard of it... You're truly a
          blessing, and I thank you !! Merry Meet !! -- Charles