Re: [Meditation Society of America] Beginning meditation

  • Jeff Belyea
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 22, 2007
      Sean -

      Yes.

      The Cloud of Unknowing is a great book. It is a classic
      on meditation - that typically focusing on "something" - like breath
      or a candle light, and the next step into "nowhere and nothing" of
      what is typically known as contemplation.

      Silencing the mind is the goal. Absolute silence - no inner chatter,
      sustained for even a few seconds (not as easy as it might seem)can
      bring the contemplator into a direct experiential shift into pure
      intuitive consciousness, into what is almost always described in
      spiritual terms; like, "coming into the very presence of God" - the
      goal of meditation (at least for the theist).

      The "knowing" or coming through the cloud of unknowing is often
      called enlightenment or realization - and does not depend on any
      specific model (religious tradition), but many Christians (and even
      Buddhists) find The Cloud of Unknowing a powerful presentation and
      guide into meditation and the comtemplative life.

      Love,as always,

      Jeff

      <bethjams9@...> wrote:

      > Has anyone read "The cloud of unknowing" not Buddhist but I've been
      chewing on this on this one for over a year now. It's a small book
      but lots to contemplate.

      > Marc Moss <jellybean0729@...> wrote: If you seek
      certain results, then doctines that accord to your view of reality as
      of now are simply guideposts, outlines to learn how to color the
      picture in the book before moving forward. Master this coloring book
      and you move on to a new one.

      > People fear doctrines because they do not like external
      restraints placed upon them. But, if the doctrines are recipes for
      producing the desired results, what happens if you leave out an
      ingredient? Do you get the same results? A spiritual path has to
      work, bottom line, if it's to be accepted by it's follower. It should
      produce the end result we seek.

      > Study the doctrines and follow what you can accept and table the
      others. If you don't get it right away, don't criticize it, just
      don't put it into practice yet.

      > Marc
      >

      > As long as space remains, as long as living beings remain, until
      then - may I too remain to dispel the sufferings of the world. -
      Master Shantideva