Re: [Meditation Society of America] Beginning meditation

    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 21, 2007
      <jeff@...> wrote:

      > Beautiful photos. Thanks.

      Yo Papajeff,
      I agree that the pics are beautiful. They
      remind me of the artwork in your excellent
      book Sunrise at Two Lions which is available
      at Amazon at this URL:
      http://tinyurl.com/26atl4
      And of course, the book is also perfect for
      beginners!
      > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, kushikushun
      > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I heard someone say about Zen meditation that it is important to
      > remain
      > > a beginner. But maybe thats just zennish. I am not to fond myself
      > of
      > > the jargon I always get the feeling it might get too close to a
      > > doctrine. But then again , I am just a beginner ;)
      > >
      > > So yeah I am all for the simple approach too.
      > >
      > > Take Care, Francisca.
      > > meditation-air.blogspot.com
      > >
      > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Citizens Active
      > > <citizensactive@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I like the simple approach, I think some beginners get scared
      > off or
      > > confused withh all the jargon. I'll leave the details to you aged
      > vets!

    • Jeff Belyea
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 22, 2007
        Sean -

        Yes.

        The Cloud of Unknowing is a great book. It is a classic
        on meditation - that typically focusing on "something" - like breath
        or a candle light, and the next step into "nowhere and nothing" of
        what is typically known as contemplation.

        Silencing the mind is the goal. Absolute silence - no inner chatter,
        sustained for even a few seconds (not as easy as it might seem)can
        bring the contemplator into a direct experiential shift into pure
        intuitive consciousness, into what is almost always described in
        spiritual terms; like, "coming into the very presence of God" - the
        goal of meditation (at least for the theist).

        The "knowing" or coming through the cloud of unknowing is often
        called enlightenment or realization - and does not depend on any
        specific model (religious tradition), but many Christians (and even
        Buddhists) find The Cloud of Unknowing a powerful presentation and
        guide into meditation and the comtemplative life.

        Love,as always,

        Jeff

        <bethjams9@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone read "The cloud of unknowing" not Buddhist but I've been
        chewing on this on this one for over a year now. It's a small book
        but lots to contemplate.

        > Marc Moss <jellybean0729@...> wrote: If you seek
        certain results, then doctines that accord to your view of reality as
        of now are simply guideposts, outlines to learn how to color the
        picture in the book before moving forward. Master this coloring book
        and you move on to a new one.

        > People fear doctrines because they do not like external
        restraints placed upon them. But, if the doctrines are recipes for
        producing the desired results, what happens if you leave out an
        ingredient? Do you get the same results? A spiritual path has to
        work, bottom line, if it's to be accepted by it's follower. It should
        produce the end result we seek.

        > Study the doctrines and follow what you can accept and table the
        others. If you don't get it right away, don't criticize it, just
        don't put it into practice yet.

        > Marc
        >

        > As long as space remains, as long as living beings remain, until
        then - may I too remain to dispel the sufferings of the world. -
        Master Shantideva