Re: [Meditation Society of America] judi

  • Judi Rhodes
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 29, 2002
      From: mirela basa
      To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, December 29, 2002 9:36 PM
      Subject: [Meditation Society of America] judi

      Yeah Judi

      I have heard of this saying.. it is probably true... Than maybe it is better to not have a teacher at all..

      ******** Yes, suffering is your best and ultimate teacher.

    • mirela basa
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 29, 2002
        it is true thought that people are more atentive to themselves when they are in pains..

        mirela

      • Judi Rhodes
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 29, 2002
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 29, 2002
            what do you want, Judi? Why are you here? I guess you're not looking for meditation techniques..

            mirela

            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 29, 2002
              How old are you Judi?

              Mirela

            • Judi Rhodes
              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 29, 2002
                it is true thought that people are more atentive to themselves when they are in pains..

                mirela

                ********* Sure, if your're drowning you're not thinking about the weather or what you're gonna cook for dinner.

                Judi

              • Judi Rhodes
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 29, 2002
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 29, 2002
                    Why are you here? I guess you're not looking for meditation techniques..

                    ******* No, not looking for meditation techniques, :-), been there, done that. I pop in from time to time either to share some stuff that I like, or if a case arises, to pummel a little pompeisity. :-)

                    Judi

                    mirela

                  • mirela basa
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 29, 2002
                      Sorry, but seeing your nerve, i thought that you're 20 or so.. I'm 21.

                      Mirela

                    • mirela basa
                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 29, 2002
                        So, i guess you were a seeker... did you try to find "Illumination"? Are you a "finder" now? (i'm trying to use those terms, as those are very used here (even if i don't really know what it means))

                        mirela

                      • mirela basa
                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 29, 2002
                          Dear G,why do the people say you have an illuminated wisdom? Are you Illuminated? Can you tell me more about this illumination state? i am addressing the Unchanging Eternal Truth
                          which Changes Not...

                          --- what is this Truth? i guess you don't like the conditionings... the conditionings is the only thing that keeps me alive... otherwise i would be living just a life full of fear.. tell me one more thing: what is beyond desires, thoughts, mind, brain, feelings, rationalization, self, relativeness and so on..i'm not sure i want lasting happiness.. And i don't know how to be more than i already am... And what do you mean when you say that I am THAT? Have you been BEYOND? G: yes others may give Guidance but you must walk the way yourself...
                          others that have already walked the path inwards Know the way and
                          the detours that the ego self would take and get lost within...
                          One that has mastered the Maze knows its turns and twists and
                          route ... others attempting to find it on their own have an
                          infinitely more difficult time of it...
                          M: So, if i want to be like you, could i?
                          G: hahahahaha and so the ego thinks.... Has ego brought you Peace?
                          has Ego brought you lasting Joy and Knowing the Eternal from the
                          transient? Can Ego dispel the illusion of death? the ego -
                          which clings to the form and transient is death... M: my ego brought me peace and war, happiness and sadness, good and bad.. My ego brought me everything.. i don't think that someone can be just happy, never sad... i guess that if one openes the door for happiness to come in, also the sadness will come in... G: as long as you are caught up in past things then you are not NOW..
                          M: If it's not NOW, than when is that you see the past? One sees the past by looking from the present.. G: can you bring back a past happening? No.. M: No, i can't bring it back, but i can learn from it, and be more attentive in the future..

                          G: What is consciousness? is it attached to a brain? is it
                          attached to a body form? M: There is a special zone on the brain where the consciousness is located.. so, we have a mind and a heart.. there is a third -the consciousness- wchich help us discern between the first two. My mind can say something and my heart can say the contrary --- this is where the consciousness comes along.. do decide between mind or heart. G: .. in meditation one can know that it depends not on the body in the least... the body
                          must have consciousness to operate but consciousness does not
                          need a gross body to live... there is the gross form and a
                          subtle form and the subtle form is ongoing... M: where is the consciousness than?

                          what i know now is that when i'll die (as i have seen dead people and they weren't moving, talking or thinking or feeling), my world won't exist anymore. So the world will disapear when i'll disapear.. G: so why try to change anything or be better if you truly beleive
                          that you are some finite creature? if you truly believe that
                          death is the end then why to be better at all? M: i'll always try to do better, even if i'll die.. i want to live in a nice way.. untill i die.. this is what i mean: that i am choosing either to be good or bad in this life.. if i'll be true than i'll be good, if i'll be untrue than i'll be bad... All the best,mirela

                        • mirela basa
                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 29, 2002
                            Dear Jason,thank you for your thoughts!i know that peace is very related to truth...as long as there will be truth, there will be peace, too. i'm not looking for meditation practices --i don't even know what is that, so maybe i'm looking after those and i don't know. :) But i'm looking for books, as i am a publisher and i am interested of good books to be translated into romanian -- if you have any sugestions..? Yeah, you're right, this is what i think too, that the truth is somewhere within..Mirela

                            Athanor Publishing HouseBd. 1 Decembrie 1918Bl. 105, Ap. 10Petrosani, 2675Hunedoara, Romania0040-721-374 002

                          • mirela basa
                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 29, 2002
                              You said it all with this "It is not the idea but
                              > the attitude about the idea that is distracting." , Bobby Gmirela----- Original Message ----- From: medit8ionsociety To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, December 29, 2002 8:57 PMSubject: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Pesky thoughts
                              Hi Bobby G,
                              Good to hear/read from you, and thanks for sharing these pointings to
                              reality. I've felt for a long time that Patanjali said it all, and
                              that all the books about meditation that have followed for the past
                              many centuries have only been rehashing his presentation. The Yoga
                              Sutras of Patanjali form the basis for all of Raja Yoga, and merge
                              well with Jhana Yoga as well. I've always favored Swami
                              Satchidananda's translation and commentary best, with Swami
                              Prabhavananda's close thereafter, but when I see such great stuff as
                              >"It is not the idea but the attitude about the idea that is
                              distracting. Attachment, aversion, etc indicate the ego is involved.
                              However, recognition of that fact when it happens is not an
                              affliction, but simply valid cognition. Taking credit for it is.", I
                              think I'm going to have to include Sri Bobby G's commentary in that
                              special realm of divine in-sight.
                              Thanks!
                              Bob
                              --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "texasbg2000
                              <Bigbobgraham@a...>" <Bigbobgraham@a...> wrote:
                              > Hi Bob and everybody:
                              >
                              > I do not post here often but I try to keep up with the posts. It
                              is
                              > a very interesting and worthwhile message board. I have noticed
                              some
                              > messages about mind chatter and thoughts and the mind. The
                              following
                              > may shed some light on the wonderful phenomenon of thought.
                              >
                              > Patanjali wrote in such insightful and thorough fashion about the
                              > entire system of how the mind works that it is worthwhile to see
                              what
                              > his writings say about this issue.
                              >
                              > P. writes about thoughts in categories. He refers to them as
                              > fluctuations or disturbances of the consciousness called vrittis.
                              > Sleep is one. The other four categories of thought are found in
                              Book
                              > I.6-11. They are: misconception, valid cognition, fantasy, and
                              > memory. When they are restricted the Seer abides in its essence.
                              > (I.3)
                              >
                              > Before listing the fluctuations he says:
                              > I.5 These fluctuations are fivefold; afflicted or non-afflicted.
                              >
                              > The afflictions are named in Book II.3: Ignorance, I-am-ness,
                              > aversion, attachment, and the will to live, are the causes of
                              > affliction.
                              >
                              > Thoughts may not be afflicted or stem from ignorance. They may
                              > arise from a mind that is without the causes of affliction. This
                              is
                              > why attachment to ideas is warned against. It is not the idea but
                              > the attitude about the idea that is distracting. Attachment,
                              > aversion, etc indicate the ego is involved. However, recognition
                              of
                              > that fact when it happens is not an affliction, but simply valid
                              > cognition. Taking credit for it is.
                              >
                              > It can be a little confusing because the word attachment is used
                              for
                              > any of the afflictions in the broad sense ( attachment to aversion,
                              > or to I-am-ness).
                              >
                              > Patanjali put these ideas first in Yoga Sutra. He must have felt
                              it
                              > important to start out an understanding of the mind with an
                              > understanding of them. What you understand is easier to control
                              IMO.

                              Message 14 of 27 , Dec 29, 2002
                                Hi Mirela:

                                Thank you for your response. A good book to translate to Romanian
                                would be
                                "The Yoga Sutra of Patanjali" by georg Feuerstein
                                Publisher-Inner Traditions International
                                One Park Street Rochester, Vermont 05767. It is a good source book.

                                Feuerstein also wrote the spiritual biography of Omraam Mikhael
                                Aivanhov, the Bulgarian sage, The Mystery of Light" (Passage Press
                                Salt Lake City, Utah.)

                                Well its off to bed for me.
                                Good Night,
                                May the Great Spirit not bite.
                                Love
                                Bobby G.

                              • Jeff Belyea <jeff@mindgoal.com>
                                Message 15 of 27 , Dec 30, 2002
                                  --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Judi Rhodes" <
                                  judirhodes@z...> wrote:

> [...]

                                  And you say you're not a teacher, Judi?

                                  Love as always,
                                  Jeff

                                • Judi Rhodes
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Dec 30, 2002

                                    > Yeah Judi
                                    >
                                    > I have heard of this saying.. it is probably true... Than maybe it is better to not have a teacher at all..
                                    >
                                    > ******** Yes, suffering is your best and ultimate teacher.

                                    And you say you're not a teacher, Judi?

                                    Love as always,
                                    Jeff

                                    ******** Not in the sense of the word, no. I'm not in the market for "bitches", if you get my drift?

                                    Judi

                                  • Judi Rhodes
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Dec 30, 2002
                                      Sorry, but seeing your nerve, i thought that you're 20 or so.. I'm 21.

                                      Mirela

                                      **** Ah, I figured you were quite young. I have son 19 in the Army in Germany.
                                      You'd like him. He's a cutie.

                                      Judi

                                    • Judi Rhodes
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Dec 30, 2002
                                        So, i guess you were a seeker... did you try to find "Illumination"? Are you a "finder" now? (i'm trying to use those terms, as those are very used here (even if i don't really know what it means))

                                        mirela

                                        ********* No, I didn't find anything, it found me. :-)

                                        Judi

                                      • Judi Rhodes
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Dec 30, 2002
                                          So, i guess you were a seeker... did you try to find "Illumination"? Are you a "finder" now? (i'm trying to use those terms, as those are very used here (even if i don't really know what it means))

                                          mirela

                                          ********* No, I didn't find anything, it found me. :-)

                                          Judi

                                          ********* That's what happens when you mind your *own* business.

                                        • Judi Rhodes
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Dec 30, 2002
                                            So, i guess you were a seeker... did you try to find "Illumination"? Are you a "finder" now? (i'm trying to use those terms, as those are very used here (even if i don't really know what it means))

                                            mirela

                                            ********* No, I didn't find anything, it found me. :-)

                                            Judi

                                            ********* That's what happens when you mind your *own* business.

                                            ***** The truth finds you, you don't find it.
                                            Judi

                                          • Jeff Belyea <jeff@mindgoal.com>
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Dec 30, 2002
                                              <judirhodes@z...> wrote:

                                              > > Yeah Judi
                                              > >
                                              > > I have heard of this saying.. it is probably true... Than
                                              maybe it is better to not have a teacher at all..

                                              > > ******** Yes, suffering is your best and ultimate teacher.
                                              >
                                              > And you say you're not a teacher, Judi?
                                              >
                                              > Love as always,
                                              > Jeff
                                              > >
                                              > ******** Not in the sense of the word, no. I'm not in the market
                                              for "bitches", if you get my drift?

                                              > Judi

                                              Sorry for the amibiguity. I was "humorously" referring to your ability
                                              to inflict suffering. OK, so George Carlin, I ain't.

                                              Attempting to stay within the bounds of a meditation board, and not
                                              really looking to engage debate or incur wrath, I am somewhat
                                              compelled to mention that my experience has been that not all
                                              "teachers" of meditation are looking for bitches...And now that I've
                                              stuck my head in the lion's mouth so to speak, let me add, that I
                                              have found actual inhabitants of this round ball who actually do offer
                                              reports of their "new perceptual condition" (one of your phrases that
                                              I particularly like) in the hope of encouraging others, from the
                                              goodness of their hearts.

                                              Your somewhat-less-jaded fellow traveler,
                                              Jeff

                                            • judirhodes <judirhodes@zianet.com>
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Dec 30, 2002
                                                --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Belyea

                                                ******* hehehe, yes I saw that insinuation too, pretty funny. :-)

                                                ******* Yes, this is not the list for it. I'm keeping my jets cooled.

                                                I am somewhat
                                                > compelled to mention that my experience has been that not all
                                                > "teachers" of meditation are looking for bitches...And now that I've
                                                > stuck my head in the lion's mouth so to speak, let me add, that I
                                                > have found actual inhabitants of this round ball who actually do
                                                offer
                                                > reports of their "new perceptual condition" (one of your phrases
                                                that
                                                > I particularly like) in the hope of encouraging others, from the
                                                > goodness of their hearts.

                                                ******* Look at like this, "encouraging" or "teaching" others is
                                                really more of a "What the HECK you think you're doing?" :-) Do you
                                                see the difference? And I, for one, am certainly NOT going to
                                                encourage whatever it is they think they're doing. :-) I don't care
                                                how much they "beg" for a "teacher". :-) I chuckle. :-)

                                                Judi

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Dec 30, 2002

                                                  > > Your somewhat-less-jaded fellow traveler,
                                                  > > Jeff

                                                  ****** Oh, and if you think I'm "jaded", you're missing the whole
                                                  point.

                                                  Judi
                                                • judirhodes <judirhodes@zianet.com>
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Dec 30, 2002
                                                    <judirhodes@z...>" <judirhodes@z...> wrote:

                                                    > > > Your somewhat-less-jaded fellow traveler,
                                                    > > > Jeff
                                                    > > >

                                                    > ****** Oh, and if you think I'm "jaded", you're missing the whole
                                                    > point.
                                                    >
                                                    > Judi

                                                    ******* You and Michael are still chewing on the cover, and I'm on
                                                    page 44. :-)

                                                    Judi
                                                  • judirhodes <judirhodes@zianet.com>
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Dec 30, 2002
                                                      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "judirhodes
                                                      <judirhodes@z...>" <judirhodes@z...> wrote:
                                                      > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "judirhodes

                                                      > > ****** Oh, and if you think I'm "jaded", you're missing the whole
                                                      > > point.
                                                      > >
                                                      > > Judi
                                                      >
                                                      > ******* You and Michael are still chewing on the cover, and I'm on
                                                      > page 44. :-)
                                                      >
                                                      > Judi

                                                      ****** And that's why neither of you guys could make it on the ranch
                                                      list, your "talking chihuahua" act isn't gonna fly there. If you're
                                                      looking to make a name for yourself, the ranch list is last place you
                                                      wanna be. :-)

                                                      Judi
                                                    • judirhodes <judirhodes@zianet.com>
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Dec 30, 2002
                                                        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "judirhodes
                                                        <judirhodes@z...>" <judirhodes@z...> wrote:
                                                        > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "judirhodes
                                                        > <judirhodes@z...>" <judirhodes@z...> wrote:
                                                        > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "judirhodes

                                                        > > > ****** Oh, and if you think I'm "jaded", you're missing the
                                                        whole
                                                        > > > point.
                                                        > > >
                                                        > > > Judi
                                                        > >
                                                        > > ******* You and Michael are still chewing on the cover, and I'm
                                                        on
                                                        > > page 44. :-)
                                                        > >
                                                        > > Judi
                                                        >
                                                        > ****** And that's why neither of you guys could make it on the
                                                        ranch
                                                        > list, your "talking chihuahua" act isn't gonna fly there. If you're
                                                        > looking to make a name for yourself, the ranch list is last place
                                                        you
                                                        > wanna be. :-)
                                                        >
                                                        > Judi

                                                        ****** We got x-ray vision over there, we can see thru your
                                                        panties. :-)
                                                      • Athanor
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Jan 6, 2003
                                                          it is a nice guy.. i guess you'll like him..
                                                          www.azizkristof.org
                                                          mirela