Re: [Meditation Society of America] Beginning meditation

  • Jeff Belyea
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 21, 2007
      Beautiful photos. Thanks.

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, kushikushun
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > I heard someone say about Zen meditation that it is important to
      remain
      > a beginner. But maybe thats just zennish. I am not to fond myself
      of
      > the jargon I always get the feeling it might get too close to a
      > doctrine. But then again , I am just a beginner ;)
      >
      > So yeah I am all for the simple approach too.
      >
      > Take Care, Francisca.
      > meditation-air.blogspot.com
      >
      > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Citizens Active
      > <citizensactive@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I like the simple approach, I think some beginners get scared
      off or
      > confused withh all the jargon. I'll leave the details to you aged
      vets!

    • sean tremblay
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 21, 2007
        Has anyone read "The cloud of unknowing" not Buddhist but I've been chewing on this on this one for over a year now. It's a small book but lots to contemplate.

        Marc Moss <jellybean0729@...> wrote:
        If you seek certain results, then doctines that accord to your view of reality as of now are simply guideposts, outlines to learn how to color the picture in the book before moving forward. Master this coloring book and you move on to a new one.

        People fear doctrines because they do not like external restraints placed upon them. But, if the doctrines are recipes for producing the desired results, what happens if you leave out an ingredient? Do you get the same results? A spiritual path has to work, bottom line, if it's to be accepted by it's follower. It should produce the end result we seek.

        Study the doctrines and follow what you can accept and table the others. If you don't get it right away, don't criticize it, just don't put it into practice yet.

        Marc

        TV dinner still cooling?

        Never Miss an Email

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 21, 2007
          <jeff@...> wrote:

          > Beautiful photos. Thanks.

          Yo Papajeff,
          I agree that the pics are beautiful. They
          remind me of the artwork in your excellent
          book Sunrise at Two Lions which is available
          at Amazon at this URL:
          http://tinyurl.com/26atl4
          And of course, the book is also perfect for
          beginners!
          > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, kushikushun
          > <no_reply@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I heard someone say about Zen meditation that it is important to
          > remain
          > > a beginner. But maybe thats just zennish. I am not to fond myself
          > of
          > > the jargon I always get the feeling it might get too close to a
          > > doctrine. But then again , I am just a beginner ;)
          > >
          > > So yeah I am all for the simple approach too.
          > >
          > > Take Care, Francisca.
          > > meditation-air.blogspot.com
          > >
          > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Citizens Active
          > > <citizensactive@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I like the simple approach, I think some beginners get scared
          > off or
          > > confused withh all the jargon. I'll leave the details to you aged
          > vets!

        • Jeff Belyea
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 22, 2007
            Sean -

            Yes.

            The Cloud of Unknowing is a great book. It is a classic
            on meditation - that typically focusing on "something" - like breath
            or a candle light, and the next step into "nowhere and nothing" of
            what is typically known as contemplation.

            Silencing the mind is the goal. Absolute silence - no inner chatter,
            sustained for even a few seconds (not as easy as it might seem)can
            bring the contemplator into a direct experiential shift into pure
            intuitive consciousness, into what is almost always described in
            spiritual terms; like, "coming into the very presence of God" - the
            goal of meditation (at least for the theist).

            The "knowing" or coming through the cloud of unknowing is often
            called enlightenment or realization - and does not depend on any
            specific model (religious tradition), but many Christians (and even
            Buddhists) find The Cloud of Unknowing a powerful presentation and
            guide into meditation and the comtemplative life.

            Love,as always,

            Jeff

            <bethjams9@...> wrote:

            > Has anyone read "The cloud of unknowing" not Buddhist but I've been
            chewing on this on this one for over a year now. It's a small book
            but lots to contemplate.

            > Marc Moss <jellybean0729@...> wrote: If you seek
            certain results, then doctines that accord to your view of reality as
            of now are simply guideposts, outlines to learn how to color the
            picture in the book before moving forward. Master this coloring book
            and you move on to a new one.

            > People fear doctrines because they do not like external
            restraints placed upon them. But, if the doctrines are recipes for
            producing the desired results, what happens if you leave out an
            ingredient? Do you get the same results? A spiritual path has to
            work, bottom line, if it's to be accepted by it's follower. It should
            produce the end result we seek.

            > Study the doctrines and follow what you can accept and table the
            others. If you don't get it right away, don't criticize it, just
            don't put it into practice yet.

            > Marc
            >

            > As long as space remains, as long as living beings remain, until
            then - may I too remain to dispel the sufferings of the world. -
            Master Shantideva