Re: [Meditation Society of America] Beginning meditation

  • kushikushun
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 21 11:37 AM
      I heard someone say about Zen meditation that it is important to remain
      a beginner. But maybe thats just zennish. I am not to fond myself of
      the jargon I always get the feeling it might get too close to a
      doctrine. But then again , I am just a beginner ;)

      So yeah I am all for the simple approach too.

      Take Care, Francisca.
      meditation-air.blogspot.com

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Citizens Active
      <citizensactive@...> wrote:

      > I like the simple approach, I think some beginners get scared off or
      confused withh all the jargon. I'll leave the details to you aged vets!

    • Marc Moss
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 21 12:29 PM
        If you seek certain results, then doctines that accord to your view of reality as of now are simply guideposts, outlines to learn how to color the picture in the book before moving forward. Master this coloring book and you move on to a new one.

        People fear doctrines because they do not like external restraints placed upon them. But, if the doctrines are recipes for producing the desired results, what happens if you leave out an ingredient? Do you get the same results? A spiritual path has to work, bottom line, if it's to be accepted by it's follower. It should produce the end result we seek.

        Study the doctrines and follow what you can accept and table the others. If you don't get it right away, don't criticize it, just don't put it into practice yet.

        Marc

        TV dinner still cooling?
      • Jeff Belyea
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 21 1:40 PM
          Beautiful photos. Thanks.

          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, kushikushun
          <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > I heard someone say about Zen meditation that it is important to
          remain
          > a beginner. But maybe thats just zennish. I am not to fond myself
          of
          > the jargon I always get the feeling it might get too close to a
          > doctrine. But then again , I am just a beginner ;)
          >
          > So yeah I am all for the simple approach too.
          >
          > Take Care, Francisca.
          > meditation-air.blogspot.com
          >
          > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Citizens Active
          > <citizensactive@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I like the simple approach, I think some beginners get scared
          off or
          > confused withh all the jargon. I'll leave the details to you aged
          vets!

        • sean tremblay

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 21 5:11 PM
              <jeff@...> wrote:

              > Beautiful photos. Thanks.

              Yo Papajeff,
              I agree that the pics are beautiful. They
              remind me of the artwork in your excellent
              book Sunrise at Two Lions which is available
              at Amazon at this URL:
              http://tinyurl.com/26atl4
              And of course, the book is also perfect for
              beginners!
              > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, kushikushun
              > <no_reply@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I heard someone say about Zen meditation that it is important to
              > remain
              > > a beginner. But maybe thats just zennish. I am not to fond myself
              > of
              > > the jargon I always get the feeling it might get too close to a
              > > doctrine. But then again , I am just a beginner ;)
              > >
              > > So yeah I am all for the simple approach too.
              > >
              > > Take Care, Francisca.
              > > meditation-air.blogspot.com
              > >
              > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Citizens Active
              > > <citizensactive@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I like the simple approach, I think some beginners get scared
              > off or
              > > confused withh all the jargon. I'll leave the details to you aged
              > vets!

            • Jeff Belyea
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 22 4:06 AM
                Sean -

                Yes.

                The Cloud of Unknowing is a great book. It is a classic
                on meditation - that typically focusing on "something" - like breath
                or a candle light, and the next step into "nowhere and nothing" of
                what is typically known as contemplation.

                Silencing the mind is the goal. Absolute silence - no inner chatter,
                sustained for even a few seconds (not as easy as it might seem)can
                bring the contemplator into a direct experiential shift into pure
                intuitive consciousness, into what is almost always described in
                spiritual terms; like, "coming into the very presence of God" - the
                goal of meditation (at least for the theist).

                The "knowing" or coming through the cloud of unknowing is often
                called enlightenment or realization - and does not depend on any
                specific model (religious tradition), but many Christians (and even
                Buddhists) find The Cloud of Unknowing a powerful presentation and
                guide into meditation and the comtemplative life.

                Love,as always,

                Jeff

                <bethjams9@...> wrote:

                > Has anyone read "The cloud of unknowing" not Buddhist but I've been
                chewing on this on this one for over a year now. It's a small book
                but lots to contemplate.

                > Marc Moss <jellybean0729@...> wrote: If you seek
                certain results, then doctines that accord to your view of reality as
                of now are simply guideposts, outlines to learn how to color the
                picture in the book before moving forward. Master this coloring book
                and you move on to a new one.

                > People fear doctrines because they do not like external
                restraints placed upon them. But, if the doctrines are recipes for
                producing the desired results, what happens if you leave out an
                ingredient? Do you get the same results? A spiritual path has to
                work, bottom line, if it's to be accepted by it's follower. It should
                produce the end result we seek.

                > Study the doctrines and follow what you can accept and table the
                others. If you don't get it right away, don't criticize it, just
                don't put it into practice yet.

                > Marc
                >

                > As long as space remains, as long as living beings remain, until
                then - may I too remain to dispel the sufferings of the world. -
                Master Shantideva