Re: [Meditation Society of America] Beginning meditation

  • Citizens Active
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 20, 2007
      I like the simple approach, I think some beginners get scared off or confused withh all the jargon.  I'll leave the details to you aged vets!

      Marc Moss <jellybean0729@...> wrote:
      That's all you can do!!!

      bigrufedc <rTshinanga@hotmail. com> wrote:
      Thank you all for helping me out on this subject. I will try what
      works best for me at this stage.

      Rufin

      -- In meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, Citizens Active
      <citizensactive@ ...> wrote:

      > Here's a great article for beginners, I think it will a big in
      setting you in the right direction. ZJust like everything else IMHO,
      practice is key. Realize that you'll lose focus but don't let it get
      you frustrated and before you know it you will be able to almost
      instantly get into a meditative state.

      > heres the link for the article.
      > http://www.learntea chcreate. com/22.html
      >
      > Namaste!
      >

      > Marc Moss <jellybean0729@ ...> wrote:
      >
      > This meditation is accurate, but facilitates only the left
      hemisphere of the brain. The result of meditation is to remove the
      manifest forms of the belief that there is a separation in subject
      and object; and this is so because one has become aware that they are
      incorrect.

      > Checking out the "monkey mind' is seeing how the thoughts are
      overwhelmingly undisciplined. We believe that we are this, and that
      thing is that, so our left brain distinquishes what something is upon
      analysis, and whatever conclusion we come to, our right hemisphere
      then makes it a reality. We no longer investigate something and it's
      the way it is until our left brain encounters a situation that proves
      it to be wrong. Science asserted that penecillin was the "cure" for
      many things...and today it doesn't seem to work like it once did.

      > The Right hemisphere is responsible for the limbic system, or the
      sympathetic system. The solar plexus is the center of this system. It
      radiates energy, and attracts things to it. Mind is subtle matter,
      and once this matter is of a certain energy type, it will bring about
      precisely what's been put into it. See every thing you've ever done
      very well, without doubt in yourself. You consistently bring into
      being and attract to you all the things that fufill what you seek!
      Jesus said, "therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer,
      believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." Examine:

      > I tell you - Jesus stands behind this statement. He is telling us
      from his experience and knowledge (I will not assert his divinity
      here, but as a sage of remarkable spiritual accomplishments; I think
      more people can then be receptive to this analysis)

      > whatever - any or any one of a number of things whether
      specifically known or not; pretty broad! not just spiritual, but
      physical accomplishments and procurements as well

      > you ask for - To express a desire for; you have to ask your
      spirit guide, God, Jesus, Buddhas, enlightened beings...or even just
      yourself! "May I be free from illness"..." may I replace my old beat
      up car"

      > in prayer - undistractedly focused on the object to whom or what
      you pray. Meditation, concentration.

      > believe - to have a conviction that (a person or thing) is, has
      been, or will be engaged in a given action or involved in a given
      situation. In other words, you should be able to visualize it crystal
      clear!! The stronger the image in the left hemisphere, the more power
      in the right hemisphere.

      > that you have received it - past tense; you should now send it to
      the right hemisphere and 'feel' it.

      > and it will be yours - it will be made manifest, or your karma
      now will ripen to experience the perceptions of this appearance in
      your own life; this is not just a statement of one controversial
      spiritual being, but this was taught by the Buddha in tantra;
      Kabbalah, and other practices.

      > The denial that even thought can control or inspire the physical
      world is simply due to the lack of witnessing for oneself. If it
      can't be analyzed by the left brain, it can't be accepted by the
      whole psych-physical being.

      > Managing the wandering mind will be of value to the visualization
      process. Left by itself to simply focus on "nothing", the mind will
      not progress with new material, but remain steadfast in its old
      material. We should be trying to change the program. Don't get stuck
      on the preliminaries; there is a deeper universe 'enfolded' within
      the 'unfolded' world we think we see.

      > Marc
      >

      > As long as space remains, as long as living beings remain, until
      then - may I too remain to dispel the sufferings of the world. -
      Master Shantideva

      > ------------ --------- --------- ---
      > It's here! Your new message!
      >

      > ------------ --------- --------- ---
      > Be a PS3 game guru.
      Yahoo! Games.

      Share your inspiration, www.learnteachcreate.com

      8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time

    • kushikushun
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 21, 2007
        I heard someone say about Zen meditation that it is important to remain
        a beginner. But maybe thats just zennish. I am not to fond myself of
        the jargon I always get the feeling it might get too close to a
        doctrine. But then again , I am just a beginner ;)

        So yeah I am all for the simple approach too.

        Take Care, Francisca.
        meditation-air.blogspot.com

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 21, 2007
          If you seek certain results, then doctines that accord to your view of reality as of now are simply guideposts, outlines to learn how to color the picture in the book before moving forward. Master this coloring book and you move on to a new one.

          People fear doctrines because they do not like external restraints placed upon them. But, if the doctrines are recipes for producing the desired results, what happens if you leave out an ingredient? Do you get the same results? A spiritual path has to work, bottom line, if it's to be accepted by it's follower. It should produce the end result we seek.

          Study the doctrines and follow what you can accept and table the others. If you don't get it right away, don't criticize it, just don't put it into practice yet.

          Marc

          TV dinner still cooling?
        • Jeff Belyea
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 21, 2007
            Beautiful photos. Thanks.

            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, kushikushun
            <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > I heard someone say about Zen meditation that it is important to
            remain
            > a beginner. But maybe thats just zennish. I am not to fond myself
            of
            > the jargon I always get the feeling it might get too close to a
            > doctrine. But then again , I am just a beginner ;)
            >
            > So yeah I am all for the simple approach too.
            >
            > Take Care, Francisca.
            > meditation-air.blogspot.com
            >
            > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Citizens Active
            > <citizensactive@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I like the simple approach, I think some beginners get scared
            off or
            > confused withh all the jargon. I'll leave the details to you aged
            vets!

          • sean tremblay

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 21, 2007
                <jeff@...> wrote:

                > Beautiful photos. Thanks.

                Yo Papajeff,
                I agree that the pics are beautiful. They
                remind me of the artwork in your excellent
                book Sunrise at Two Lions which is available
                at Amazon at this URL:
                http://tinyurl.com/26atl4
                And of course, the book is also perfect for
                beginners!
                > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, kushikushun
                > <no_reply@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I heard someone say about Zen meditation that it is important to
                > remain
                > > a beginner. But maybe thats just zennish. I am not to fond myself
                > of
                > > the jargon I always get the feeling it might get too close to a
                > > doctrine. But then again , I am just a beginner ;)
                > >
                > > So yeah I am all for the simple approach too.
                > >
                > > Take Care, Francisca.
                > > meditation-air.blogspot.com
                > >
                > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Citizens Active
                > > <citizensactive@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I like the simple approach, I think some beginners get scared
                > off or
                > > confused withh all the jargon. I'll leave the details to you aged
                > vets!

              • Jeff Belyea
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 22, 2007
                  Sean -

                  Yes.

                  The Cloud of Unknowing is a great book. It is a classic
                  on meditation - that typically focusing on "something" - like breath
                  or a candle light, and the next step into "nowhere and nothing" of
                  what is typically known as contemplation.

                  Silencing the mind is the goal. Absolute silence - no inner chatter,
                  sustained for even a few seconds (not as easy as it might seem)can
                  bring the contemplator into a direct experiential shift into pure
                  intuitive consciousness, into what is almost always described in
                  spiritual terms; like, "coming into the very presence of God" - the
                  goal of meditation (at least for the theist).

                  The "knowing" or coming through the cloud of unknowing is often
                  called enlightenment or realization - and does not depend on any
                  specific model (religious tradition), but many Christians (and even
                  Buddhists) find The Cloud of Unknowing a powerful presentation and
                  guide into meditation and the comtemplative life.

                  Love,as always,

                  Jeff