Re: [Meditation Society of America] Beginning meditation

  • Citizens Active
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 20, 2007
      Here's a great article for beginners, I think it will a big in setting you in the right direction.  ZJust like everything else IMHO, practice is key.  Realize that you'll lose focus but don't let it get you frustrated and before you know it you will be able to almost instantly get into a meditative state.

      heres the link for the article.

      Namaste!

      Marc Moss <jellybean0729@...> wrote:

      This meditation is accurate, but facilitates only the left hemisphere of the brain. The result of meditation is to remove the manifest forms of the belief that there is a separation in subject and object; and this is so because one has become aware that they are incorrect.

      Checking out the "monkey mind' is seeing how the thoughts are overwhelmingly undisciplined. We believe that we are this, and that thing is that, so our left brain distinquishes what something is upon analysis, and whatever conclusion we come to, our right hemisphere then makes it a reality. We no longer investigate something and it's the way it is until our left brain encounters a situation that proves it to be wrong. Science asserted that penecillin was the "cure" for many things...and today it doesn't seem to work like it once did.

      The Right hemisphere is responsible for the limbic system, or the sympathetic system. The solar plexus is the center of this system. It radiates energy, and attracts things to it. Mind is subtle matter, and once this matter is of a certain energy type, it will bring about precisely what's been put into it. See every thing you've ever done very well, without doubt in yourself. You consistently bring into being and attract to you all the things that fufill what you seek! Jesus said, "therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." Examine:

      I tell you - Jesus stands behind this statement. He is telling us from his experience and knowledge (I will not assert his divinity here, but as a sage of remarkable spiritual accomplishments; I think more people can then be receptive to this analysis)

      whatever - any or any one of a number of things whether specifically known or not; pretty broad! not just spiritual, but physical accomplishments and procurements as well

      you ask for - To express a desire for; you have to ask your spirit guide, God, Jesus, Buddhas, enlightened beings...or even just yourself! "May I be free from illness"..." may I replace my old beat up car"

      in prayer - undistractedly focused on the object to whom or what you pray. Meditation, concentration.

      believe - to have a conviction that (a person or thing) is, has been, or will be engaged in a given action or involved in a given situation. In other words, you should be able to visualize it crystal clear!! The stronger the image in the left hemisphere, the more power in the right hemisphere.

      that you have received it - past tense; you should now send it to the right hemisphere and 'feel' it.

      and it will be yours - it will be made manifest, or your karma now will ripen to experience the perceptions of this appearance in your own life; this is not just a statement of one controversial spiritual being, but this was taught by the Buddha in tantra; Kabbalah, and other practices.

      The denial that even thought can control or inspire the physical world is simply due to the lack of witnessing for oneself. If it can't be analyzed by the left brain, it can't be accepted by the whole psych-physical being.

      Managing the wandering mind will be of value to the visualization process. Left by itself to simply focus on "nothing", the mind will not progress with new material, but remain steadfast in its old material. We should be trying to change the program. Don't get stuck on the preliminaries; there is a deeper universe 'enfolded' within the 'unfolded' world we think we see.

      Marc

      It's here! Your new message!

      Be a PS3 game guru.

    • bigrufedc
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 20, 2007
        Thank you all for helping me out on this subject. I will try what
        works best for me at this stage.

        Rufin

        -- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Citizens Active
        <citizensactive@...> wrote:

> [...]
        your own life; this is not just a statement of one controversial
        spiritual being, but this was taught by the Buddha in tantra;
        Kabbalah, and other practices.

        > The denial that even thought can control or inspire the physical
        world is simply due to the lack of witnessing for oneself. If it
        can't be analyzed by the left brain, it can't be accepted by the
        whole psych-physical being.

        > Managing the wandering mind will be of value to the visualization
        process. Left by itself to simply focus on "nothing", the mind will
        not progress with new material, but remain steadfast in its old
        material. We should be trying to change the program. Don't get stuck
        on the preliminaries; there is a deeper universe 'enfolded' within
        the 'unfolded' world we think we see.

        > Marc
        >

        > As long as space remains, as long as living beings remain, until
        then - may I too remain to dispel the sufferings of the world. -
        Master Shantideva

        > ---------------------------------
        > It's here! Your new message!
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        > Be a PS3 game guru.
        Yahoo! Games.

      • Marc Moss
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 20, 2007
          That's all you can do!!!

          <citizensactive@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
          spiritual being, but this was taught by the Buddha in tantra;
          Kabbalah, and other practices.

          > The denial that even thought can control or inspire the physical
          world is simply due to the lack of witnessing for oneself. If it
          can't be analyzed by the left brain, it can't be accepted by the
          whole psych-physical being.

          > Managing the wandering mind will be of value to the visualization
          process. Left by itself to simply focus on "nothing", the mind will
          not progress with new material, but remain steadfast in its old
          material. We should be trying to change the program. Don't get stuck
          on the preliminaries; there is a deeper universe 'enfolded' within
          the 'unfolded' world we think we see.

          > Marc
          >

          > As long as space remains, as long as living beings remain, until
          then - may I too remain to dispel the sufferings of the world. -

          Yahoo! Games.

        • Citizens Active
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 20, 2007
            I like the simple approach, I think some beginners get scared off or confused withh all the jargon.  I'll leave the details to you aged vets!

            <citizensactive@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
            spiritual being, but this was taught by the Buddha in tantra;
            Kabbalah, and other practices.

            > The denial that even thought can control or inspire the physical
            world is simply due to the lack of witnessing for oneself. If it
            can't be analyzed by the left brain, it can't be accepted by the
            whole psych-physical being.

            > Managing the wandering mind will be of value to the visualization
            process. Left by itself to simply focus on "nothing", the mind will
            not progress with new material, but remain steadfast in its old
            material. We should be trying to change the program. Don't get stuck
            on the preliminaries; there is a deeper universe 'enfolded' within
            the 'unfolded' world we think we see.

            > Marc
            >

            > As long as space remains, as long as living beings remain, until
            then - may I too remain to dispel the sufferings of the world. -

            Yahoo! Games.

            Share your inspiration, www.learnteachcreate.com

            8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time

          • kushikushun
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 21, 2007
              I heard someone say about Zen meditation that it is important to remain
              a beginner. But maybe thats just zennish. I am not to fond myself of
              the jargon I always get the feeling it might get too close to a
              doctrine. But then again , I am just a beginner ;)

              So yeah I am all for the simple approach too.

              Take Care, Francisca.
              meditation-air.blogspot.com

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 21, 2007
                If you seek certain results, then doctines that accord to your view of reality as of now are simply guideposts, outlines to learn how to color the picture in the book before moving forward. Master this coloring book and you move on to a new one.

                People fear doctrines because they do not like external restraints placed upon them. But, if the doctrines are recipes for producing the desired results, what happens if you leave out an ingredient? Do you get the same results? A spiritual path has to work, bottom line, if it's to be accepted by it's follower. It should produce the end result we seek.

                Study the doctrines and follow what you can accept and table the others. If you don't get it right away, don't criticize it, just don't put it into practice yet.

                Marc

                TV dinner still cooling?
              • Jeff Belyea
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 21, 2007
                  Beautiful photos. Thanks.

                  --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, kushikushun
                  <no_reply@...> wrote:

                  > I heard someone say about Zen meditation that it is important to
                  remain
                  > a beginner. But maybe thats just zennish. I am not to fond myself
                  of
                  > the jargon I always get the feeling it might get too close to a
                  > doctrine. But then again , I am just a beginner ;)
                  >
                  > So yeah I am all for the simple approach too.
                  >
                  > Take Care, Francisca.
                  > meditation-air.blogspot.com
                  >
                  > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Citizens Active
                  > <citizensactive@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I like the simple approach, I think some beginners get scared
                  off or
                  > confused withh all the jargon. I'll leave the details to you aged
                  vets!

                • sean tremblay

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 21, 2007
                      <jeff@...> wrote:

                      > Beautiful photos. Thanks.

                      Yo Papajeff,
                      I agree that the pics are beautiful. They
                      remind me of the artwork in your excellent
                      book Sunrise at Two Lions which is available
                      at Amazon at this URL:
                      http://tinyurl.com/26atl4
                      And of course, the book is also perfect for
                      beginners!
                      > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, kushikushun
                      > <no_reply@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I heard someone say about Zen meditation that it is important to
                      > remain
                      > > a beginner. But maybe thats just zennish. I am not to fond myself
                      > of
                      > > the jargon I always get the feeling it might get too close to a
                      > > doctrine. But then again , I am just a beginner ;)
                      > >
                      > > So yeah I am all for the simple approach too.
                      > >
                      > > Take Care, Francisca.
                      > > meditation-air.blogspot.com
                      > >
                      > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Citizens Active
                      > > <citizensactive@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I like the simple approach, I think some beginners get scared
                      > off or
                      > > confused withh all the jargon. I'll leave the details to you aged
                      > vets!

                    • Jeff Belyea
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 22, 2007
                        Sean -

                        Yes.

                        The Cloud of Unknowing is a great book. It is a classic
                        on meditation - that typically focusing on "something" - like breath
                        or a candle light, and the next step into "nowhere and nothing" of
                        what is typically known as contemplation.

                        Silencing the mind is the goal. Absolute silence - no inner chatter,
                        sustained for even a few seconds (not as easy as it might seem)can
                        bring the contemplator into a direct experiential shift into pure
                        intuitive consciousness, into what is almost always described in
                        spiritual terms; like, "coming into the very presence of God" - the
                        goal of meditation (at least for the theist).

                        The "knowing" or coming through the cloud of unknowing is often
                        called enlightenment or realization - and does not depend on any
                        specific model (religious tradition), but many Christians (and even
                        Buddhists) find The Cloud of Unknowing a powerful presentation and
                        guide into meditation and the comtemplative life.

                        Love,as always,

                        Jeff