Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Beginer meditation

  • Marc Moss
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 9, 2007

      Bob,

      Your comment concerning "Buddhadeluded" individuals is very telling. Perhaps judgment should be the next topic of your meditation. Anything can be learned from anyone.

      Sonam

      Be a PS3 game guru.
    • Marc Moss
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 9, 2007
        Absolutely! Agreed!

        Sonam

        "Dennis" <buddy62258@ ...> wrote:

        > --- In meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, medit8ionsociety
        > <no_reply@> wrote:
        > >Greetings,
        > I am a new member,also new to meditation,kinda. I enjoy very much the
        > discussions, but being older it sure seems like a lot of work to do all
        > the reading..lol My name is Dennis,I am 57.
        > I do have a question pertaining to meditation. Do any of you ever see
        > visions etc when you enter a certain level of relaxation? I have for
        > many years,but it does make it difficult to concentrate on a specific
        > goal of emptiness. Can someone explain these visions to me,and help me
        > use them to the advantage of all that is.thanks

        Yo Dennis,
        Actually the first steps in meditation are to be dispassionate
        and to discriminate between the real and the unreal, the
        temporary and the permanent, the finite and the infinite.
        To do this, one must not get too overjoyed or upset about
        what passes before our mind's eye as we meditate. We should
        be in the "Witness" position, and simply silently be
        aware of what happens without any judgments, comparisons,
        or commentary. This is very hard as most of our lives
        there has been a running commentary going on within by
        what can be called our "Inner Chatterer". It has held our
        intention and we have been reactive to whatever way
        it pulls our mind and heart. It will produce visions
        of both heaven and hell in it's (virtually always
        successful) attempts to control us. Both Jesus and
        Buddha had visions that tried to pull them away from
        their meditative quest to know the Truth. And so it
        seems does everyone who meditates. To gain control
        over this Inner Chatterer is one of the gifts that
        comes from meditation. We can't really progress to
        a state of Concentration and focus on the object of
        or meditation until we gain this Self control. And
        Meditation can't come to us until we can Concentrate.
        This is just a short summary of 4 of the steps of
        the 8 fold path that is Raja Yoga, the Yoga of
        meditation, which has been a proven meditation
        methodology for thousand of years by hundreds of
        millions of people. Similar concepts are found in
        many other meditation traditions like those found in
        Kabbala, Buddhism, Tantra, etc. There is a likelihood
        that having a specific focal point of meditation may
        be easier for you than just letting your mind "go",
        and sitting back inwardly and just watching the show.
        This is where mantra or watching the breath comes in.
        Many have found these will stabilize your attention
        in a way that is better when visions occur, as you can
        refocus on your mantra or breath and "reboot" your
        attention to the silent Witness posture.
        One of the best teachings about meditation is shared
        in the story about a student coming to a Zen master and
        asking what he should do to gain Enlightenment. The
        master replied "Attention!" The student then asked if
        he would elaborate and the master said "Attention!
        Attention! Attention!". So, to implement this, just
        persevere and sit in silence (even when in movement),
        and let what comes come, and then let it pass. This
        attentive attitude "pays off" not just when in
        meditation, but always in all ways.
        I wish you well.

        > > "bigrufedc" <rTshinanga@ > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hello,
        > > >
        > > > I have the desire to start meditation for various reasons. I would
        > like
        > > > to know if anyone could guide me in the mediation process. I pretty
        > > > much dont where to start. I've read various articles about it, but
        > i'm
        > > > still not sure if i'm doing it correctly.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks in advance for your help,
        > > > Rufin
        > > >
        > > Yo Rufin,
        > > I suggest checking out our web site Meditation Station
        > > http://www.meditati onsociety. com and going through
        > > the Beginners section, the Archives section, and the
        > > Concepts of Meditation section. You will find all you
        > > need to understand what is going on, and actual "how-to"
        > > instructions. When you see a technique that draws you
        > > to it, actually try and do it. In reality, there is no
        > > better way to learn about meditation than by actually
        > > meditating. And there is no charge for this priceless knowledge!
        > >
        > > I would also suggest using this discussion group to have
        > > any questions that come up answered, and to share your
        > > experiences with meditators from all over the world, from
        > > all traditions. Here you will find some truely Enlightened
        > > ones who speak from first hand experience and share
        > > real knowledge. You may also find what we could call
        > > "Buddhadeluded" ones who may spout very nice things that
        > > they have read or heard, but also will show their ego driven
        > > pretentiouness and this too can be a valuable learning tool.
        > >
        > > In any event, there is no better thing you can do for your
        > > Self than learning about and doing meditation.
        > >
        > > I wish you well.
        > > Peace and blessings,
        > > Bob

        Need Mail bonding?

      • kushikushun
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 17, 2007
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "bigrufedc"
          <rTshinanga@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I have the desire to start meditation for various reasons. I would
          like
          > to know if anyone could guide me in the mediation process. I pretty
          > much dont where to start. I've read various articles about it, but
          i'm
          > still not sure if i'm doing it correctly.
          >
          > Thanks in advance for your help,
          > Rufin

          \Hi Rufin, I am also very new at this, but might be able to help you
          out nonetheless by telling you about my experiences. So let me know if
          you have any queations. I have a website on which I describe my
          experiences and have some usefull links and info on too. Feel free to
          comment on there!

          http://meditation-air.blogspot.com

          Take Care, Francisca.
        • cbondnelms
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 20, 2007
            I'm sure you will get a lot of response to your post.
            There are many different views on how to mediate. My point of view
            is for beginners. My suggestion is using tools for beginners. I
            hope visiting this site will be helpful to you -
            http://www.tranquilityisyours.com
            The major tool used here is videos. The videos are used to help you
            focus your mind and help you allow yourself to experience a
            meditative state. They tend to be helpful if you struggle with
            trying to reach a meditative state.
            Once you start meditating you will be able to control your state of
            mind.
            Good luck to you.
            Sincerely,
            Cheryl