Re: Beginer meditation

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 8, 2007
      "bigrufedc" <rTshinanga@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I have the desire to start meditation for various reasons. I would like
      > to know if anyone could guide me in the mediation process. I pretty
      > much dont where to start. I've read various articles about it, but i'm
      > still not sure if i'm doing it correctly.
      >
      > Thanks in advance for your help,
      > Rufin

      Yo Rufin,
      I suggest checking out our web site Meditation Station
      http://www.meditationsociety.com and going through
      the Beginners section, the Archives section, and the
      Concepts of Meditation section. You will find all you
      need to understand what is going on, and actual "how-to"
      instructions. When you see a technique that draws you
      to it, actually try and do it. In reality, there is no
      better way to learn about meditation than by actually
      meditating. And there is no charge for this priceless knowledge!

      I would also suggest using this discussion group to have
      any questions that come up answered, and to share your
      experiences with meditators from all over the world, from
      all traditions. Here you will find some truely Enlightened
      ones who speak from first hand experience and share
      real knowledge. You may also find what we could call
      "Buddhadeluded" ones who may spout very nice things that
      they have read or heard, but also will show their ego driven
      pretentiouness and this too can be a valuable learning tool.

      In any event, there is no better thing you can do for your
      Self than learning about and doing meditation.

      I wish you well.
    • Dennis
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 8, 2007
        <no_reply@...> wrote:
        >Greetings,
        I am a new member,also new to meditation,kinda. I enjoy very much the
        discussions,but being older it sure seems like a lot of work to do all
        the reading..lol My name is Dennis,I am 57.
        I do have a question pertaining to meditation. Do any of you ever see
        visions etc when you enter a certain level of relaxation? I have for
        many years,but it does make it difficult to concentrate on a specific
        goal of emptiness. Can someone explain these visions to me,and help me
        use them to the advantage of all that is.thanks

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 9, 2007
          "Dennis" <buddy62258@...> wrote:

          > <no_reply@> wrote:
          > >Greetings,
          > I am a new member,also new to meditation,kinda. I enjoy very much the
          > discussions,but being older it sure seems like a lot of work to do all
          > the reading..lol My name is Dennis,I am 57.
          > I do have a question pertaining to meditation. Do any of you ever see
          > visions etc when you enter a certain level of relaxation? I have for
          > many years,but it does make it difficult to concentrate on a specific
          > goal of emptiness. Can someone explain these visions to me,and help me
          > use them to the advantage of all that is.thanks

          Yo Dennis,
          Actually the first steps in meditation are to be dispassionate
          and to discriminate between the real and the unreal, the
          temporary and the permanent, the finite and the infinite.
          To do this, one must not get too overjoyed or upset about
          what passes before our mind's eye as we meditate. We should
          be in the "Witness" position, and simply silently be
          aware of what happens without any judgments, comparisons,
          or commentary. This is very hard as most of our lives
          there has been a running commentary going on within by
          what can be called our "Inner Chatterer". It has held our
          intention and we have been reactive to whatever way
          it pulls our mind and heart. It will produce visions
          of both heaven and hell in it's (virtually always
          successful) attempts to control us. Both Jesus and
          Buddha had visions that tried to pull them away from
          their meditative quest to know the Truth. And so it
          seems does everyone who meditates. To gain control
          over this Inner Chatterer is one of the gifts that
          comes from meditation. We can't really progress to
          a state of Concentration and focus on the object of
          or meditation until we gain this Self control. And
          Meditation can't come to us until we can Concentrate.
          This is just a short summary of 4 of the steps of
          the 8 fold path that is Raja Yoga, the Yoga of
          meditation, which has been a proven meditation
          methodology for thousand of years by hundreds of
          millions of people. Similar concepts are found in
          many other meditation traditions like those found in
          Kabbala, Buddhism, Tantra, etc. There is a likelihood
          that having a specific focal point of meditation may
          be easier for you than just letting your mind "go",
          and sitting back inwardly and just watching the show.
          This is where mantra or watching the breath comes in.
          Many have found these will stabilize your attention
          in a way that is better when visions occur, as you can
          refocus on your mantra or breath and "reboot" your
          attention to the silent Witness posture.
          One of the best teachings about meditation is shared
          in the story about a student coming to a Zen master and
          asking what he should do to gain Enlightenment. The
          master replied "Attention!" The student then asked if
          he would elaborate and the master said "Attention!
          Attention! Attention!". So, to implement this, just
          persevere and sit in silence (even when in movement),
          and let what comes come, and then let it pass. This
          attentive attitude "pays off" not just when in
          meditation, but always in all ways.
          I wish you well.

          > > "bigrufedc" <rTshinanga@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hello,
          > > >
          > > > I have the desire to start meditation for various reasons. I would
          > like
          > > > to know if anyone could guide me in the mediation process. I pretty
          > > > much dont where to start. I've read various articles about it, but
          > i'm
          > > > still not sure if i'm doing it correctly.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks in advance for your help,
          > > > Rufin
          > > >
          > > Yo Rufin,
          > > I suggest checking out our web site Meditation Station
          > > http://www.meditationsociety.com and going through
          > > the Beginners section, the Archives section, and the
          > > Concepts of Meditation section. You will find all you
          > > need to understand what is going on, and actual "how-to"
          > > instructions. When you see a technique that draws you
          > > to it, actually try and do it. In reality, there is no
          > > better way to learn about meditation than by actually
          > > meditating. And there is no charge for this priceless knowledge!
          > >
          > > I would also suggest using this discussion group to have
          > > any questions that come up answered, and to share your
          > > experiences with meditators from all over the world, from
          > > all traditions. Here you will find some truely Enlightened
          > > ones who speak from first hand experience and share
          > > real knowledge. You may also find what we could call
          > > "Buddhadeluded" ones who may spout very nice things that
          > > they have read or heard, but also will show their ego driven
          > > pretentiouness and this too can be a valuable learning tool.
          > >
          > > In any event, there is no better thing you can do for your
          > > Self than learning about and doing meditation.
          > >
          > > I wish you well.
          > > Peace and blessings,
          > > Bob

        • Marc Moss
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 9, 2007

            Bob,

            Your comment concerning "Buddhadeluded" individuals is very telling. Perhaps judgment should be the next topic of your meditation. Anything can be learned from anyone.

            Sonam

            Be a PS3 game guru.
          • Marc Moss
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 9, 2007
              Absolutely! Agreed!

              Sonam

              "Dennis" <buddy62258@ ...> wrote:

> [...]

              > > instructions. When you see a technique that draws you
              > > to it, actually try and do it. In reality, there is no
              > > better way to learn about meditation than by actually
              > > meditating. And there is no charge for this priceless knowledge!
              > >
              > > I would also suggest using this discussion group to have
              > > any questions that come up answered, and to share your
              > > experiences with meditators from all over the world, from
              > > all traditions. Here you will find some truely Enlightened
              > > ones who speak from first hand experience and share
              > > real knowledge. You may also find what we could call
              > > "Buddhadeluded" ones who may spout very nice things that
              > > they have read or heard, but also will show their ego driven
              > > pretentiouness and this too can be a valuable learning tool.
              > >
              > > In any event, there is no better thing you can do for your
              > > Self than learning about and doing meditation.

              Need Mail bonding?

            • kushikushun
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 17, 2007
                --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "bigrufedc"
                <rTshinanga@...> wrote:

                > Hello,
                >
                > I have the desire to start meditation for various reasons. I would
                like
                > to know if anyone could guide me in the mediation process. I pretty
                > much dont where to start. I've read various articles about it, but
                i'm
                > still not sure if i'm doing it correctly.
                >
                > Thanks in advance for your help,
                > Rufin

                \Hi Rufin, I am also very new at this, but might be able to help you
                out nonetheless by telling you about my experiences. So let me know if
                you have any queations. I have a website on which I describe my
                experiences and have some usefull links and info on too. Feel free to
                comment on there!

                http://meditation-air.blogspot.com

                Take Care, Francisca.
              • cbondnelms
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 20, 2007
                  I'm sure you will get a lot of response to your post.
                  There are many different views on how to mediate. My point of view
                  is for beginners. My suggestion is using tools for beginners. I
                  hope visiting this site will be helpful to you -
                  http://www.tranquilityisyours.com
                  The major tool used here is videos. The videos are used to help you
                  focus your mind and help you allow yourself to experience a
                  meditative state. They tend to be helpful if you struggle with
                  trying to reach a meditative state.
                  Once you start meditating you will be able to control your state of
                  mind.
                  Good luck to you.
                  Sincerely,
                  Cheryl