Beginer meditation

  • bigrufedc
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 8, 2007
      Hello,

      I have the desire to start meditation for various reasons. I would like
      to know if anyone could guide me in the mediation process. I pretty
      much dont where to start. I've read various articles about it, but i'm
      still not sure if i'm doing it correctly.

      Thanks in advance for your help,
      Rufin
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 8, 2007
        "bigrufedc" <rTshinanga@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I have the desire to start meditation for various reasons. I would like
        > to know if anyone could guide me in the mediation process. I pretty
        > much dont where to start. I've read various articles about it, but i'm
        > still not sure if i'm doing it correctly.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for your help,
        > Rufin

        Yo Rufin,
        I suggest checking out our web site Meditation Station
        http://www.meditationsociety.com and going through
        the Beginners section, the Archives section, and the
        Concepts of Meditation section. You will find all you
        need to understand what is going on, and actual "how-to"
        instructions. When you see a technique that draws you
        to it, actually try and do it. In reality, there is no
        better way to learn about meditation than by actually
        meditating. And there is no charge for this priceless knowledge!

        I would also suggest using this discussion group to have
        any questions that come up answered, and to share your
        experiences with meditators from all over the world, from
        all traditions. Here you will find some truely Enlightened
        ones who speak from first hand experience and share
        real knowledge. You may also find what we could call
        "Buddhadeluded" ones who may spout very nice things that
        they have read or heard, but also will show their ego driven
        pretentiouness and this too can be a valuable learning tool.

        In any event, there is no better thing you can do for your
        Self than learning about and doing meditation.

        I wish you well.
      • Dennis
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 8, 2007
          <no_reply@...> wrote:
          >Greetings,
          I am a new member,also new to meditation,kinda. I enjoy very much the
          discussions,but being older it sure seems like a lot of work to do all
          the reading..lol My name is Dennis,I am 57.
          I do have a question pertaining to meditation. Do any of you ever see
          visions etc when you enter a certain level of relaxation? I have for
          many years,but it does make it difficult to concentrate on a specific
          goal of emptiness. Can someone explain these visions to me,and help me
          use them to the advantage of all that is.thanks

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 9, 2007
            "Dennis" <buddy62258@...> wrote:

            > <no_reply@> wrote:
            > >Greetings,
            > I am a new member,also new to meditation,kinda. I enjoy very much the
            > discussions,but being older it sure seems like a lot of work to do all
            > the reading..lol My name is Dennis,I am 57.
            > I do have a question pertaining to meditation. Do any of you ever see
            > visions etc when you enter a certain level of relaxation? I have for
            > many years,but it does make it difficult to concentrate on a specific
            > goal of emptiness. Can someone explain these visions to me,and help me
            > use them to the advantage of all that is.thanks

            Yo Dennis,
            Actually the first steps in meditation are to be dispassionate
            and to discriminate between the real and the unreal, the
            temporary and the permanent, the finite and the infinite.
            To do this, one must not get too overjoyed or upset about
            what passes before our mind's eye as we meditate. We should
            be in the "Witness" position, and simply silently be
            aware of what happens without any judgments, comparisons,
            or commentary. This is very hard as most of our lives
            there has been a running commentary going on within by
            what can be called our "Inner Chatterer". It has held our
            intention and we have been reactive to whatever way
            it pulls our mind and heart. It will produce visions
            of both heaven and hell in it's (virtually always
            successful) attempts to control us. Both Jesus and
            Buddha had visions that tried to pull them away from
            their meditative quest to know the Truth. And so it
            seems does everyone who meditates. To gain control
            over this Inner Chatterer is one of the gifts that
            comes from meditation. We can't really progress to
            a state of Concentration and focus on the object of
            or meditation until we gain this Self control. And
            Meditation can't come to us until we can Concentrate.
            This is just a short summary of 4 of the steps of
            the 8 fold path that is Raja Yoga, the Yoga of
            meditation, which has been a proven meditation
            methodology for thousand of years by hundreds of
            millions of people. Similar concepts are found in
            many other meditation traditions like those found in
            Kabbala, Buddhism, Tantra, etc. There is a likelihood
            that having a specific focal point of meditation may
            be easier for you than just letting your mind "go",
            and sitting back inwardly and just watching the show.
            This is where mantra or watching the breath comes in.
            Many have found these will stabilize your attention
            in a way that is better when visions occur, as you can
            refocus on your mantra or breath and "reboot" your
            attention to the silent Witness posture.
            One of the best teachings about meditation is shared
            in the story about a student coming to a Zen master and
            asking what he should do to gain Enlightenment. The
            master replied "Attention!" The student then asked if
            he would elaborate and the master said "Attention!
            Attention! Attention!". So, to implement this, just
            persevere and sit in silence (even when in movement),
            and let what comes come, and then let it pass. This
            attentive attitude "pays off" not just when in
            meditation, but always in all ways.
            I wish you well.

            > > "bigrufedc" <rTshinanga@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hello,
            > > >
            > > > I have the desire to start meditation for various reasons. I would
            > like
            > > > to know if anyone could guide me in the mediation process. I pretty
            > > > much dont where to start. I've read various articles about it, but
            > i'm
            > > > still not sure if i'm doing it correctly.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks in advance for your help,
            > > > Rufin
            > > >
            > > Yo Rufin,
            > > I suggest checking out our web site Meditation Station
            > > http://www.meditationsociety.com and going through
            > > the Beginners section, the Archives section, and the
            > > Concepts of Meditation section. You will find all you
            > > need to understand what is going on, and actual "how-to"
            > > instructions. When you see a technique that draws you
            > > to it, actually try and do it. In reality, there is no
            > > better way to learn about meditation than by actually
            > > meditating. And there is no charge for this priceless knowledge!
            > >
            > > I would also suggest using this discussion group to have
            > > any questions that come up answered, and to share your
            > > experiences with meditators from all over the world, from
            > > all traditions. Here you will find some truely Enlightened
            > > ones who speak from first hand experience and share
            > > real knowledge. You may also find what we could call
            > > "Buddhadeluded" ones who may spout very nice things that
            > > they have read or heard, but also will show their ego driven
            > > pretentiouness and this too can be a valuable learning tool.
            > >
            > > In any event, there is no better thing you can do for your
            > > Self than learning about and doing meditation.
            > >
            > > I wish you well.
            > > Peace and blessings,
            > > Bob

          • Marc Moss
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 9, 2007

              Bob,

              Your comment concerning "Buddhadeluded" individuals is very telling. Perhaps judgment should be the next topic of your meditation. Anything can be learned from anyone.

              Sonam

              Be a PS3 game guru.
            • Marc Moss
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 9, 2007
                Absolutely! Agreed!

                Sonam

                "Dennis" <buddy62258@ ...> wrote:

> [...]

                > > instructions. When you see a technique that draws you
                > > to it, actually try and do it. In reality, there is no
                > > better way to learn about meditation than by actually
                > > meditating. And there is no charge for this priceless knowledge!
                > >
                > > I would also suggest using this discussion group to have
                > > any questions that come up answered, and to share your
                > > experiences with meditators from all over the world, from
                > > all traditions. Here you will find some truely Enlightened
                > > ones who speak from first hand experience and share
                > > real knowledge. You may also find what we could call
                > > "Buddhadeluded" ones who may spout very nice things that
                > > they have read or heard, but also will show their ego driven
                > > pretentiouness and this too can be a valuable learning tool.
                > >
                > > In any event, there is no better thing you can do for your
                > > Self than learning about and doing meditation.

                Need Mail bonding?

              • kushikushun
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 17, 2007
                  --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "bigrufedc"
                  <rTshinanga@...> wrote:

                  > Hello,
                  >
                  > I have the desire to start meditation for various reasons. I would
                  like
                  > to know if anyone could guide me in the mediation process. I pretty
                  > much dont where to start. I've read various articles about it, but
                  i'm
                  > still not sure if i'm doing it correctly.
                  >
                  > Thanks in advance for your help,
                  > Rufin

                  \Hi Rufin, I am also very new at this, but might be able to help you
                  out nonetheless by telling you about my experiences. So let me know if
                  you have any queations. I have a website on which I describe my
                  experiences and have some usefull links and info on too. Feel free to
                  comment on there!

                  http://meditation-air.blogspot.com

                  Take Care, Francisca.
                • cbondnelms
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 20, 2007
                    I'm sure you will get a lot of response to your post.
                    There are many different views on how to mediate. My point of view
                    is for beginners. My suggestion is using tools for beginners. I
                    hope visiting this site will be helpful to you -
                    http://www.tranquilityisyours.com
                    The major tool used here is videos. The videos are used to help you
                    focus your mind and help you allow yourself to experience a
                    meditative state. They tend to be helpful if you struggle with
                    trying to reach a meditative state.
                    Once you start meditating you will be able to control your state of
                    mind.
                    Good luck to you.
                    Sincerely,
                    Cheryl