Bhagavad Gita Translations - PDF Downloads

  • swamitarakananda
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2007

      Dear Friends,

      Krishna and Arjuna The Bhagavad Gita is a lifetime study, and it is extremely beneficial to read at least one chapter a day. Its meanings are virtually infinite, so that new things will be continually found within its seven hundred verses. Equally important is the Gita´s ability to continually point us in the right direction spiritually. Further, it conveys to us the necessary perspective for success in spiritual life. Although it presents the clearest philosophical principles, even more it provides us with the practical means for cultivation of higher consciousness.

      However, we who are English-speaking have a problem: we only have access to the Gita in translations. And, translators being human, none have produced a completely perfect English version. For this reason we are planning to post several of the best English translations for your study.

      Gita Translation by Swami Nirmalananda Giri - This text of the Gita is arranged according to the meter of the original Sanskrit text so it can be sung-as it is done every morning in our ashram and in most of the ashrams of India.

      Click here to download Chapters 1-18 of the Bhagavad Gita, plus the Maharshi Gita (@2.1mb)

      Click here to view the Bhagavad Gita online.

      Gita Translation by Swami Swarupananda - Swarupananda´s translation was printed in the early part of the twentieth century. Although Swarupananda was active in its preparation, it is really the work of Sister Nivedita (Margaret Noble) a disciple of Swami Vivekananda who spent the rest of her life in India after meeting the great Swami. Her work in India was mostly in education, but she also wrote some books and articles and made this translation. Why it was not printed under her name we are not sure. Perhaps it was because at that time the movement for independence was gaining momentum in India and a translation of India´s supreme scripture by a citizen of the oppressing country might not have been welcome. Also, the publication of any writings by a woman was totally unknown at that time-and therefore liable to disapproval.

      Click here to download Swami Swarupananda's translation of the Bhagavad Gita.

      Gita Translation by Swami Sivananda - Sivananda´s translation is very evidently based on the Swarupananda translation, as in so many instances the wording is identical. (Actually, our version of the Gita arranged for singing is also based on Swarupananda, since it often has the same meter as the Sanskrit original.) Yet it has a value of its own as it reflects the illumined consciousness of this great twentieth-century Master.

      Click here to download Swami Sivananda's translation of the Bhagavad Gita.

      We hope that these will be of use.

      Atma Jyoti Ashram
      www.atmajyoti.org

    • swamitarakananda
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 6, 2007
        Unfortunately, the links to the PDF downloads of the Bhagavad Gita did
        not function correctly. To download the different versions of the
        Bhagavad Gita, visit:
        http://www.atmajyoti.org/spirwrit-downloads.asp